20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 297.
#5551 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Resurrecting a slightly old post about subwoofers. I printed the amp manual, but one thing that's not clear...I assume the sub needs to be powered, not just a speaker?

Yes.

Powered stand alone units are available that plug into the wall for power and into the source/amp for signal.

Powered speakers of any type (regular or sub) are punchier and have more clarity. The increased power to the speaker magnets make them more responsive.

However it's good to mix unpowered speakers in the setup to add warmth also.

#5552 5 years ago

My glass had a sticker in the upper right that said "Proudly made in the USA".

I took it off because I thought the glass was installed upside down due to the logo correctly read not being in the lower left

#5553 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

On my magic glass, which side is the top?
My game arrived with the stamped logo in the upper left corner. The text is upside down and reversed. There was a proudly made in the USA sticker in the upper right corner.
I'm thinking my glass was installed upside down at the factory.
[quoted image]
I dont want to scratch the $300 coating if I can avoid it.

For what it's worth - mines on the upper right, but it was installed by a distributor.

Off topic reply, but just a FYI. Don't clean with ammonia based products!

#5554 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

For what it's worth - mines on the upper right, but it was installed by a distributor.
Off topic reply, but just a FYI. Don't clean with ammonia based products!

That would make mine upside down compared to yours.

I have a feeling that the logo is supposed to be on the underside of the glass in all cases.

My JJP glass has the logo in the lower left. JJP has stated that this is correct from them.

API didn't say what was correct yet.

#5555 5 years ago

A ball shot into the stage is getting caught on the front lip. Like every time.

Searched but nothing turned up. Any tips before I dive in? thanks,

-- Jim

#5556 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

After you complete all the FILM modes (there are five, not four) you have to spell FILM and hit the right inner loop again, that will start Movie Binge and how many points you score in that will depend on how well you did in the actual movie modes (a shot corresponds with each movie and it's value is based on how you did in that movie).
EDIT: It can be quite lucrative. [quoted image]

darn it, that's what it was - I thought there were only four! whoops

#5557 5 years ago
Quoted from JimFNB:

-- Jim

Do you mean that the ball is getting caught on the lip when you try to shoot it in there? or when it releases the ball from the front of the stage after it's been captured/shot in there? Because people have reported both. I believe you can adjust the stage, although I do not know how to do it

#5558 5 years ago
Quoted from JimFNB:

-- Jim

Increase the pitch a little.
I had it happen at 5.9 pitch.
Now I'm at 6.3.
The game is way less floaty.
6.5 is also good but a little fast and the higher flipper power collapses the flippers a lot.

But the game plays great at either pitch.

Disable stage eject in the settings.

#5559 5 years ago

I flipped my glass over and the logo is on the lower left now.

It looks correct.

#5560 5 years ago

I tweaked my horizontal pitch to be down by point 1 degrees to the left, adjusting the right front leg only.

Way fewer keylane rejects straight down the middle and it has so far not increased the outlane drains to the left.

The ball more often hits the very end of the left flipper out of the keylane.

It's a subtle adjustment but I'm trying to minimize cheap drains.

This might make the milk an loop more accessable also.

#5561 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ooooook team...
I just had an incredible game, 25 minutes - only 1.5 million but I cleared 5 Houdini letters, started all 4 FILM modes, started I think 7 stage tricks, cleared 4 escapes and cleared 4 secret missions. I thought I would AT LEAST get a mini-magician mode somehow, from the films maybe? What the hell do I have to do? And the trunk multiball is still way too short for how hard it is to achieve

Based on what I've experienced, master magician mode starts after 7 Houdini letters are earned, no matter how you earn them. I set mine up to award letters liberally, for now.

#5562 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Do you mean that the ball is getting caught on the lip when you try to shoot it in there? or when it releases the ball from the front of the stage after it's been captured/shot in there? Because people have reported both. I believe you can adjust the stage, although I do not know how to do it

Yeah, when the ball is shot in there it doesn't sit in the hole and doesn't activate the stage switch. It bounces back to the lip and nothing happens until a ball search. The game takes the ball down, closes the stage, and it kicks out of the scoop.

I'll search some more and try some of the other tips and report back for posterity, thanks.

#5563 5 years ago
Quoted from JimFNB:

Yeah, when the ball is shot in there it doesn't sit in the hole and doesn't activate the stage switch. It bounces back to the lip and nothing happens until a ball search. The game takes the ball down, closes the stage, and it kicks out of the scoop.
I'll search some more and try some of the other tips and report back for posterity, thanks.

Check the stage optos. There are more than one. Sounds like one isn't working or has come unplugged.

#5564 5 years ago

It looks correct.

Regarding the magic glass, is there coating on only one side? I thought it was coated on both sides but i'm not sure.

#5565 5 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

Regarding the magic glass, is there coating on only one side? I thought it was coated on both sides but i'm not sure.

One side from what I understand.

BarryJ is this corrrct?

#5566 5 years ago

It looks correct.

But it sounds like the logo is on the topside, no? I think we need some input from AP rather than speculation.

#5567 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

But it sounds like the logo is on the topside, no? I think we need some input from AP rather than speculation.

When the logo is on the top side it is backwards and unreadable

When it is underneath it reads correctly.

With the logo in the lower left position it reads correctly and it is on the bottom of the glass.

I can only surmise that that is the correct position for the logo and also surmise that at that point the coating is on the bottom of the glass.

But it's only a guess without further input from API.

I can tell you one thing though, when cleaning the glass with sparkle glass cleaner, one side feels more like glass the other side is more frictiony or sticky like maybe it's coated.

This is compared to my other play field glasses.

So I put what appeared to be the coated side underneath at the bottom of the glass to protect it I hope this is correct.

#5568 5 years ago

Anybody know if the regular glass also has the “made in the USA” sticker or just magic glass?

#5569 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anybody know if the regular glass also has the “made in the USA” sticker or just magic glass?

The regular Houdini glass does, too.

#5570 5 years ago

I thought so, thx!

#5571 5 years ago

When the logo is on the top side it is backwards and unreadable
When it is underneath it reads correctly.
With the logo in the lower left position it reads correctly and it is on the bottom of the glass.
I can only surmise that that is the correct position for the logo and also surmise that at that point the coating is on the bottom of the glass.
But it's only a guess without further input from API.
I can tell you one thing though, when cleaning the glass with sparkle glass cleaner, one side feels more like glass the other side is more frictiony or sticky like maybe it's coated.
This is compared to my other play field glasses.
So I put what appeared to be the coated side underneath at the bottom of the glass to protect it I hope this is correct.

Here's mine. Looked on the AP site, no info - even about what cleaner to use. Ever look for info on the other invisible glass vendors?

20180826_AP_magic_glass (resized).jpg20180826_AP_magic_glass (resized).jpg
#5572 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Here's mine. Looked on the AP site, no info - even about what cleaner to use. Ever look for info on the other invisible glass vendors?[quoted image]

With the logo in the upper right my theory is the coating is on the bottom of the glass at that point.

I think you should be okay, as I said earlier my logo was in the upper left when I got the game.

#5573 5 years ago

With the logo in the upper right my theory is the coating is on the bottom of the glass at that point.
I think you should be okay, as I said earlier my logo was in the upper left when I got the game.

Is it wrong I hate that printing on the glass?
How visible is it during game play.

#5574 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

It should be under the lock bar when it's on the bottom like that

#5575 5 years ago

Rather than spend my life going back through all the pages, is there a rules post somewhere? Meaning, what you do to accomplish? I thought there was one.

Thanks!

#5576 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Rather than spend my life going back through all the pages, is there a rules post somewhere? Meaning, what you do to accomplish? I thought there was one.
Thanks!

Tilt forums is usually the best place to find rulesheets:

http://tiltforums.com/t/houdini-rulesheet/3934

#5577 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It should be under the lock bar when it's on the bottom like that

Thanks, I couldn't tell from the pic.
And what is the best way to clean Magic glass?
Lastley- when you get a sheet, are there no instructions for installation or care?

#5578 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Resurrecting a slightly old post about subwoofers. I printed the amp manual, but one thing that's not clear...I assume the sub needs to be powered, not just a speaker?

Must be powered.

#5579 5 years ago

Thanks, I couldn't tell from the pic.
Lastley- when you get a sheet, are there no instructions for installation or care?

Ammonia free cleaners and paper towels plus maybe a lint free cloth (I use coffee filters to clean off lint).

I buy sparkle glass cleaner, it works really good.

#5580 5 years ago

BarryJ or rosh are there any adjustments of the stage mechanism possible? I've calibrated mine more than once but based on the video that you posted of the stage eject working I think the captive ball sits high on mine. I don't really care that the stage eject doesn't work but I think it may be causing more rejected shots to the open stage than I should / could be seeing if it sat a little lower.

#5581 5 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-clean-invisiglass

#5582 5 years ago

These 2 Cliffies were most difficult to install so I took a couple of pics.

20180821_192443 (resized).jpg20180821_192443 (resized).jpg20180821_193259 (resized).jpg20180821_193259 (resized).jpg
#5583 5 years ago

A ball save is needed when exiting stage after card mode. Don't remember if it was mentioned being in the next release. I am waiting to get that version before starting a list because most have been mentioned. The big mechanical issues remain 1) stabilizing ball launch into trunk (partially a power board issue and partially the stability of catapult cup and arm 2) flippers are folding like a cheap suit (eos is needed in flipper assemblies).

#5584 5 years ago

Mine's currently up by the backglass. You don't even see it because a person tends to focus on the playfield which is a lot lower and you are looking at it from a shallow angle. I circled it below in red from a players perspective. I think people wouldn't even see it unless I circled it

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#5585 5 years ago

...So I put what appeared to be the coated side underneath at the bottom of the glass to protect it I hope this is correct.

You bring up a interesting point. I wonder if an airball could damage the coating? If it's really just on one side, maybe the top is the best bet?

#5586 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

You bring up a interesting point. I wonder if an airball could damage the coating? If it's really just on one side, maybe the top is the best bet?

I don't think an airball will affect it. But tools, jewelry, bottles etc will certainly scuff it up.

So it stays underneath!

#5587 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

flippers are folding like a cheap suit (eos is needed in flipper assemblies).

This above all else is the most important.

It affects gameplay negativly.
This should not be allowed.

#5588 5 years ago

This above all else is the most important.
It affects gameplay negativly.
This should not be allowed.

I believe we will have a fix shortly

#5589 5 years ago

A lot of times the coatings on glass aren't scratched but rather turns the glass into "sand paper" I.e. you aren't scratching the glass but rather putting something on the glass.

I don't know the coating on magic glass but generally thermal coatings have the sandpaper effect.

#5590 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

A lot of times the coatings on glass aren't scratched but rather turns the glass into "sand paper" I.e. you aren't scratching the glass but rather putting something on the glass.
I don't know the coating on magic glass but generally thermal coatings have the sandpaper effect.

It's a lot like coatings in nice singlasses.

#5591 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe we will have a fix shortly

Wow! I really hope so.

I LOVE THIS GAME !

It's my only real complaint other than the scrapes in my $100 art blades from a cabinet that is 1/4" too narrow.

But that doesn't affect game play, it just pisses me off a lot...

#5592 5 years ago

It's my only real complaint other than the scrapes in my $100 art blades from a cabinet that is 1/4" too narrow.

It's not just that, but the media AP printed the Houdini art blades are too much like paper and not enough like the vinyl ones Stern uses that are much more durable. They tear like paper, too.

#5593 5 years ago

Wow! I really hope so.
I LOVE THIS GAME !

This happened on my game on day one. Very frustrating. Luckily I caught it before it did too much damage and I was able to repair it somewhat so it’s barely visible. I had to bend that metal piece on the left side of the playfield slightly. Something new owners should be aware of before they lift their playfield for the first time.

#5594 5 years ago

As discussed before in this forum, these Blade Protectors are a great investment:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4575

Blade-Protectors (resized).pngBlade-Protectors (resized).png
#5595 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

As discussed before in this forum, these Blade Protectors are a great investment:
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4575
[quoted image]

I have those exact protectors.
I was planning on using then to protect my game for years to come.

Sadly there is less than 3/32" clearance for both sides if the playfield.

On my game, that's 3/64" per side.

I could never jam the 1/16" plastic in the gap. There is just no room.

I tried on day one and it's a no go.

All houdini's will have scraped, chipped , crappy looking art blades after lifting the playfield 3 times as I have.

I was super careful and had a spotter. Still it happened.

I'm saddened by it, but still the game ROCKS!

#5596 5 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

This happened on my game on day one. Very frustrating. Luckily I caught it before it did too much damage and I was able to repair it somewhat so it’s barely visible. I had to bend that metal piece on the left side of the playfield slightly. Something new owners should be aware of before they lift their playfield for the first time.

That's exactly where I got a chip.
Fortunately its behind the milk can and it's barely noticable.

I'll probably order a sticker to cover it.

Mod couple are you reading this?
Here's a mod that will sell well.

Scratch covering stickers to add to the artwork !

#5597 5 years ago

That's exactly where I got a chip.
Fortunately its behind the milk can and it's barely noticable.
I'll probably order a sticker to cover it.
Mod couple are you reading this?
Here's a mod that will sell well.
Scratch covering stickers to add to the artwork !

Not sure if there is a Mod opportunity but curious if anyone has considered adding a strip of mylar to the edge of the playfield or possibly to the side art itself? Fairly thin and yes might be slightly shiny but rather strong in most cases. I think Marco sells it by the foot to whatever size you like. Just a thought and yes I agree the side art is painfully thin..

#5598 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just a thought and yes I agree the side art is painfully thin..

It's not just thin, it's the wrong kind of media for art blades. Essentially adhesive paper.

#5599 5 years ago

Gotta say I’m disappointed in the art blade quality as well. For $100, I expected it to be great but they are thin. The mod guys (pingraffix) have a nice product.

Still love the game though.

#5600 5 years ago

I guess I got lucky. I have lifted my playfield many times without issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/112?hl=videogod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.