20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 297.
#5501 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yeah, mine are 23 and 21 and my game is about 6.5 degrees incline. In addition to back-handing the inner loop I can back-hand the ramp entrance pretty consistently but it only makes it all the way maybe 30% of the time I hit it. I still get a few airballs even at these settings.

I'm at a little higher flipper settings due my ever changing wall voltage.

They are a little strong at 120v
And a little weak at 116v.

I try for a happy medium.

#5502 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:Go to menu>adjustments>standard Turn on Flipper Power Hold
Should be the solution for your problem

Thank you for the support BarryJ but my flipper hold boost has been enabled from the initial setup.

It was one of the recommended tweaks I had written down before I received my game.

I just cleaned and checked the flippers and buttons. It all looks good.

I only have a few games played as of now.

#5503 5 years ago

Just finished a 1.3 mil game.
Wall voltage 119v

Seance, straight jacket, reversed flippers, trunk mb.

6 ball mb, flippers held perfectly.
No issues other than:

THIS GAME ROCKS!!!!!

Man I love this game!

For me it's the perfect medium length game playwise.

I have AFMr for 30 sec ball times.
Hobbit for 45 min games.
Woz for 45 min games.

My next party this is going to be a smash hit!

Now if @pinnovators can get me a headphone jack.....?

I successfully backhanded the inner loop, but it barely made it lol. Will continue practicing this, it works well.

It may be that flipper hold is affected by voltage changes during the game.

I will monitor this.

I upped the autolaunch a little more, I like it to go to the the pops instead of hitting an escape target and center draining immediately.

The code should keep launching the ball until the playfield is registered.

A lot of balls are lost without flipping them.
Maybe more grace period on initial launch? 10 secs more?

It will be the perfect day if I can beat Pinballgoddess high score of 1.5 mil

#5504 5 years ago

BarryJ rig up a headphone plate and connector so I can give you more money.

You guys deserve it, the game is amazing!

#5505 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

That is a typo... Should be at 6 degrees.

As in...of Kevin Bacon?

#5506 5 years ago

Rough, sticky shooter rod update:

I finally took it apart to see what was wrong.

The washers are rough cut on the inside edge and should be smooth.

You can run a drill bit through them if you dont have replacements and the right size bit or dremel them smooth, or replace them.

I just replaced them with fresh ones I got from marco, they are polished on the inside cut:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4700-00051-00

All fixed now and is perfect!
Much easier to attempt the skill shot.

#5507 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I can’t nail the ramp on demand from the left, but if I have a dead stopped ball cradled, I can make the ramp most of the time. It barely has the juice to get up there though so if you’re not squarely in the middle, the left-to-right motion will rob it’s energy and it won’t make it all the way up

I have morr luck backhanding the ramp than I do the inner loop. I cant seem to find the right spot on the flipper when cradling the ball. Is the inner loop
shot made from a cradle position?

#5508 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I have morr luck backhanding the ramp than I do the inner loop. I cant seem to find the right spot on the flipper when cradling the ball. Is the inner loop

Just made 10 ramps in a row.
Ball 3/4 or a little more down towards the tip of the flipper.

L flipper set at 28, R flipper at 27.
Autolaunch at 15.
Pitch at 6.3 now.

Wall voltage at 119v it's been a great day here for power/pinball.

#5509 5 years ago

I had some inconsistency making the inner loop.

I adjusted the two seance targets away from the entrance slightly.

I bent the left one 1/16" to the left, the right one 1/32" to the right.

They still look verticle enough.
Oddly the left one was angled to the right slightly, maybe 3 degrees out of the box.

This has improved the shot a lot.

If it continues to be a problem, I'll shave each one down 1/32" away from the entrance.

1/16" is a huge difference on a pinball machine.

It doesn't take much adjustment at all, just a little tweaking here and there.

The game plays great!

#5510 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

No, you have to get it just enough out of the cradle in order to clear the right sling. It’s easier if your game is set to a higher angle (although don’t do that because everything else gets out of alignment). The shot isn’t easy, but it’s fairly repeatable. I make it about as often as I make the ramp - maybe 50/50 or so

#5511 5 years ago

TADA! Lol.
Pinballgoddess has her work cut out!

20180822_195330 (resized).jpg20180822_195330 (resized).jpg
#5514 5 years ago

Getting this game pretty close to where I want it.

3 balls narrow outlanes ball saves maxed out.

#5515 5 years ago

Some players in my tournament reported some issues with Houdini. I was able to witness the following:

On 2nd ball in two-player game (p1, b2), it would eject two balls into the shooter lane instead of one. I placed one in the trough, and it ejected another back into the shooter lane. I placed both balls in the trough, and two balls were ejected into the shooter lane.

This problem was reported to me several times throughout the day. Most of the time, I play one player games, and have never had this happen to me.

Any thoughts on this issue?

#5516 5 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

Some players in my tournament reported some issues with Houdini. I was able to witness the following:
On 2nd ball in two-player game (p1, b2), it would eject two balls into the shooter lane instead of one. I placed one in the trough, and it ejected another back into the shooter lane. I placed both balls in the trough, and two balls were ejected into the shooter lane.
This problem was reported to me several times throughout the day. Most of the time, I play one player games, and have never had this happen to me.

Sounds like a trough or shooter Lane switch, opto or related problem.

Something is not registering and the computer is confused.

Does it have the current code?

#5517 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Sounds like a trough or shooter Lane switch, opto or related problem.
Something is not registering and the computer is confused.
Does it have the current code?

It does have the latest. I will check the switches next. Wanted to do it right away, but it is too difficult in a tournament setting.

#5518 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

No, you have to get it just enough out of the cradle in order to clear the right sling. It’s easier if your game is set to a higher angle (although don’t do that because everything else gets out of alignment). The shot isn’t easy, but it’s fairly repeatable. I make it about as often as I make the ramp - maybe 50/50 or so

Will keep trying to zero-in the backhand shots.

#5519 5 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I had a similar issue with Houdini in our league play two weeks ago, the game got into a weird, un-earned two-ball multiball and we thought we had that resolved by ending the game, etc. but then the next games if you held a ball (single ball in play) on either flipper for more than about 10 seconds it would launch another ball into play. Power cycle resolved the issue but we did see some random MBs in subsequent games while playing after league.

#5520 5 years ago

My right flipper collapsed during seance mb last night.

I hit 3 balls at the same time and it gave up and dropped.

It rapidly went back up on the next flip and was ok in subsequent games.

I calibrated (empty balls) coils as it has done this before, but it's still doing it.

Also, went into ball search after a trunk miss. My power was strangely at 120-121v at the time.
So of course the catapult fired wide to the right.

Power dropped to 119 and the catapult was back to being perfect.

My power is averaging 118v-119v so all my coil settings are a little higher than normal.

#5521 5 years ago

I can't backhand either the ramp or the inner loop on my Houdini. I removed the glass and tried for 10 minutes to backhand and it doesn't seem possible. What might be the issue?

#5522 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I can't backhand either the ramp or the inner loop on my Houdini. I removed the glass and tried for 10 minutes to backhand and it doesn't seem possible. What might be the issue?

Set pitch to 6.2 degrees or less and increase flipper power a notch or 2..

I can backhand the ramp with the right flipper at 27 once in awile.

Wall power at 118-119v

The angle is slightly off to backhand the inner loop but it can be done with a little luck or a very precise shot.

It happens "in game" a lot.

Think "rolling backhand" shot.

I have done it, it's a tight shot.

#5523 5 years ago

Installed cliffy's tonight.
Wasn't too bad at all.

You dont have to remove a lot of stuff just loosen to get it out of the way.

Remove upper right edge plastic.
Remove nuts and screws from planchet plastic. Push aside.

Remove screws from metal lane guides. Remove 2 nuts from underneath.

Remove scoop.
Raise playfield remove 3 screws holding scoop VUK tie it up or let it hang. Or remove this first before starting everything...

Remove 4 of the wooden side rail screws.

I had to loosen the autolaunch 4 screws to access the first screw for the wooden siderail.

You can finagle the scoop protector into the hole now by lifting up on the metal lane guide and lifting up on the wooden siderail.

Slipping the scoop cliffy under the wooden siderail slightly really helped to get it in

I put a fender washer under the wooden rail to hold it up temporarily while working the metal guide.

After installing the scoop cliffy, install the right side of the shooter lane cliffy while the siderail is loose.

Reassemble everything working from the top.

Replace the siderail screws last.
This way you can get the shooter lane protector where you want it.

Installation of the left shooter lane protector is super easy.

Remove the 2 screws in the apron from the front playfield hangers.

You have to remove the 3 screws for the inner wooden siderail to make it easier to adjust.

Remove 2 of the 3 machine screws from the trough.

Install and adjust as neccesary.

That's it . It took me about 35 mins total and I took my time.

Next one will take 15 mins.

#5524 5 years ago

The cliffy's have not affected game play at all.

But they do look cool!

Right flipper collapsed several times during seance mb tonight.

Wall power at 120v today. Its awesome having that much power, my games were really lively!

Sadly it won't last lol.

#5525 5 years ago

But they do look cool!

And most importantly, the Cliffy protects that hole from damage. AP should really at LEAST offer a Houdini LE package from the factory with Magic Glass, Art Blades, Shaker, Knocker, and Cliffies (hole AND shooter lane) installed from the factory for $7695. I bet at least 40% of them would be sold with that package and it would reduce playfield issues down the road from day 1.

#5526 5 years ago

But they do look cool!
Right flipper collapsed several times during seance mb tonight.
Wall power at 120v today. Its awesome having that much power, my games were really lively!
Sadly it won't last lol.

When did you order the Cliffy? I was told weeks for delivery.

#5527 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yes, and I've also noticed that for many modes (Elephant, Grim Game, etc.) when you need to hit a ramp it you hit it slowly and it takes a while to get all the way down the ramp, sometimes with a nice nudge to keep it from dropping through the hole, it won't award the shot at all. This doesn't only happen during MB or when the ramp is lit for a combo secret mission shot.

and sometimes if you get rejected from the ramp and catch the ball just right on your left flipper it will roll up and hit the inlane switch and give you credit for the ramp You can see this more during a MB. It's sneaky...

#5528 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Mine took 6-7 weeks, got them last week and installed them all. Its worth the wait and Cliff always delivers! Just have to get in line.

#5529 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

And most importantly, the Cliffy protects that hole from damage. AP should really at LEAST offer a Houdini LE package from the factory with Magic Glass, Art Blades, Shaker, Knocker, and Cliffies (hole AND shooter lane) installed from the factory for $7695. I bet at least 40% of them would be sold with that package and it would reduce playfield issues down the road from day 1.

Except for the "Cliffys" I ordered mine fully done for $7595!

#5530 5 years ago

Wasn't too bad at all.
Remove scoop.
Raise playfield remove 3 screws holding scoop VUK tie it up or let it hang. Or remove this first before starting everything...
I had to loosen the autolaunch 4 screws to access the first screw for the wooden siderail.
You can finagle the scoop protector into the hole now by lifting up on the metal lane guide and lifting up on the wooden siderail.
Slipping the scoop cliffy under the wooden siderail slightly really helped to get it in
I put a fender washer under the wooden rail to hold it up temporarily while working the metal guide.
After installing the scoop cliffy, install the right side of the shooter lane cliffy while the siderail is loose.
You have to remove the 3 screws for the inner wooden siderail to make it easier to adjust.

Thanks for details...I ordered some but Clffy said it might be awhile since he's got a pretty good backlog. When I install, I'll shoot pics for everyone.

I ordered the full set since I wasn't sure what really was needed besides the scoop and side rail.

#5531 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

I ordered mine awhile ago before I received my game (its one of the things to do before getting a game...)

Sometimes I get them in 2 days, other times a couple weeks.

If he has them made he ships out incredibly fast!

I recommend them for all games.

#5532 5 years ago

I absolutely LOVE this game ! I want it to be the best it can be.

A minor nagging concern to me is the inability of the flippers to hold properly compared to Williams flippers.

If you hold a flipper up its too easy to knock it down. If the flipper gets knocked down it stays down and buzzes until its actuated again.

Im not saying that the flippers are weak, they seem sufficient for calm to moderate play.

But, during vigorous play, multiballs with magnets firing and pops popping, the likelihood of a flipper collapsing is greatly increased.

During vigorous play the flippers can feel spongy and not have the high energy that one comes to expect from Williams flippers.

This is not only during low wall voltage times but also during 120-121v times.

What can be done to increase the reliability and strength of the flippers during vigorous play?

Flippers collapsing or weak play is not acceptable. Its been an issue for all time from all manucaturers and has been solved before.

The flipper hold boost does not seem to fix it or affect this problem much at all.

What can be done?

Add EOS switches as pinghetto has done?
Change to stronger coils?
Address this in code updates?

What is a permanent solution? rosh BarryJ

#5533 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Except for the "Cliffys" I ordered mine fully done for $7595!

Yep. They need to just throw cliffies into that mix and raise the price a bit for a fully macked out, fully protected machine.

#5534 5 years ago

Both flippers collapsed and both flippers became "spongy".

Sure hope there is a quick fix for this.

I was really loving this game but this a real bummer.

#5535 5 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Both flippers collapsed and both flippers became "spongy".
Sure hope there is a quick fix for this.
I was really loving this game but this a real bummer.

I agree, I really love this game ! ! !

My game plays perfectly.

Fast, exciting, FUN, amusing, challenging etc. packed to the gills with amazing things.
The artwork is beautiful.
The playfield and cabinet work are excellent to superb quality.
The code so far is really good and the ideas are freshly well done.

I hope there is a flipper hold/power fix brewing, it would be a shame to not solve this annoying detail.

#5536 5 years ago

I agree, I really love this game ! ! !
My game plays perfectly.
Fast, exciting, FUN, amusing, challenging etc. packed to the gills with amazing things.
The artwork is beautiful.
The playfield and cabinet work are excellent to superb quality.
The code so far is really good and the ideas are freshly well done.
I hope there is a flipper hold/power fix brewing, it would be a shame to not solve this annoying detail.

Pay attention next time it happens and see if the magnets are firing at the same time the flipper drops. This is what we are thinking is happening

#5537 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pay attention next time it happens and see if the magnets are firing at the same time the flipper drops. This is what we are thinking is happening

I agree.

It happens more often in seance multi-ball than any other time.

I think the flippers Flatline when the Catapult goes off and fires and the Shaker motor shakes at the trunk. All of course during Seance multi-ball with magnets firing.

The flippers also feel spongy during seance multi-ball and not as spongy during trunk multi-ball.

I believe the solution is here in front of us it's just a matter of what is appropriate and we'll solve it for the duration.

There's no way in hell I'm giving up on this game it's truly amazing!

#5538 5 years ago

Running newest code hit a glitch well a few in a row.

Started needle multi ball. The announcement that the mode was starting played and the animation started then the announcement started again played throughed. Played through mode till the 10 second count down which I started extra time. Next hit scoop to started seance multi and while the ball was in the scoop the jailer started talking a and the call outs all jumbled. Lit right side ball save to which I drained a ball and the save mode did not start... strange series of glitches.

#5539 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Running newest code hit a glitch well a few in a row.
Started needle multi ball. The announcement that the mode was starting played and the animation started then the announcement started again played throughed. Played through mode till the 10 second count down which I started extra time. Next hit scoop to started seance multi and while the ball was in the scoop the jailer started talking a and the call outs all jumbled. Lit right side ball save to which I drained a ball and the save mode did not start... strange series of glitches.

Wow. Similar thing happened to me running a bunch of modes at the same time game fed an extra ball. I drained one of the balls and then the game went into ball search even though I had a ball in play.

I rebooted the game in the problem went away.

#5540 5 years ago

Wow. Similar thing happened to me running a bunch of modes at the same time game fed an extra ball. I drained one of the balls and then the game went into ball search even though I had a ball in play.
I rebooted the game in the problem went away.

There’s so much going on in this game, I’m amazed there have been so few bugs

#5541 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There’s so much going on in this game, I’m amazed there have been so few bugs

Especially when you can pile up some crazy stacking.

#5542 5 years ago

Fine tuning the flipper programming is a big deal.

JJP struggled with it for a year until they worked it out.

Now it's all good.

I hope that this is the issue with Houdini.

All will be solved in code releases I'm optimistic that Josh will sort it out.

I really like the menu system a lot.

#5543 5 years ago

Wasn't too bad at all.
Remove scoop.

You can skip the whole wooden siderail removal by trimming the upper right corner of the scoop cliffy
IMG_20180822_195323 (resized).jpgIMG_20180822_195323 (resized).jpgIMG_20180823_081057 (resized).jpgIMG_20180823_081057 (resized).jpg

#5544 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

You can skip the whole wooden siderail removal by trimming the upper right corner of the scoop cliffy
[quoted image][quoted image]

It doesnt take much time to remone about 4 phillips head screws to get it done without trimming. I think having the side rail on it holds it in place better too

#5545 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I agree.

But if you are installing the shooter lane protector you have to loosen the 4 screws to get it high enough to align the hole in it.

Plus you have to remove the inner wooden siderail to install the left shooter lane protector.

I think you need the shooter lane protectors. Multiball games traffic a lot of balls through the shooter lane.

But whatever works!
It sure looks nice when done and protects perfectly.

#5546 5 years ago

Ooooook team...

I just had an incredible game, 25 minutes - only 1.5 million but I cleared 5 Houdini letters, started all 4 FILM modes, started I think 7 stage tricks, cleared 4 escapes and cleared 4 secret missions. I thought I would AT LEAST get a mini-magician mode somehow, from the films maybe? What the hell do I have to do? And the trunk multiball is still way too short for how hard it is to achieve

#5547 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And the trunk multiball is still way too short for how hard it is to achieve

This seems to be fixed in the new code. Also set the ball save to be longer and you should have a nice trunk multiball experience.

#5548 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ooooook team...
I just had an incredible game, 25 minutes - only 1.5 million but I cleared 5 Houdini letters, started all 4 FILM modes, started I think 7 stage tricks, cleared 4 escapes and cleared 4 secret missions. I thought I would AT LEAST get a mini-magician mode somehow, from the films maybe? What the hell do I have to do? And the trunk multiball is still way too short for how hard it is to achieve

After you complete all the FILM modes (there are five, not four) you have to spell FILM and hit the right inner loop again, that will start Movie Binge and how many points you score in that will depend on how well you did in the actual movie modes (a shot corresponds with each movie and it's value is based on how you did in that movie).

EDIT: It can be quite lucrative.

BingeChamp (resized).jpgBingeChamp (resized).jpg
#5549 5 years ago

On my magic glass, which side is the top?

My game arrived with the stamped logo in the upper left corner. The text is upside down and reversed. There was a proudly made in the USA sticker in the upper right corner.

I'm thinking my glass was installed upside down at the factory.
20180826_121119 (resized).jpg20180826_121119 (resized).jpg

I dont want to scratch the $300 coating if I can avoid it.

#5550 5 years ago

This is correct the lower speaker jacks that are red and black on the mounting plate side of the unit are for the subwoofer the upper speaker Jacks are for your speakers the RCA jacks are for your aux inputs.
It's hard to see since the labeling is right near the wall of the cabinet but they are labeled sub.

Resurrecting a slightly old post about subwoofers. I printed the amp manual, but one thing that's not clear...I assume the sub needs to be powered, not just a speaker?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/111?hl=videogod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.