20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 297.
#5451 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Congrats it appears you made a great choice. For me having your wife on board seals the deal awesome. Great looking collection and LOVE that BBB sign so want to get one of those now!! Enjoy your game and couples time!

Pinballgoddess is hypercritical about pinball.
She wants art, sound, lights, color and engaging gameplay with a theme that makes it worthwhile.
Also a deep ruleset for longevity.

She's a hard sell but loves Houdini.

I went to TPF to buy a gotg, but Houdini changed everything!

#5452 5 years ago

9:07 PM wall power is 118-119v.

Game is playing perfectly!

Upped the auto launch by 2.
Lubed the shooter rod with a little lock ease graphite spray it was getting rough and hard to control.

Upped the upper catapult by 2 to make the jump more consistent.

High score now 1.5 million (Pinballgoddess of course).

Houdini will be in my dreams tonite lol.

#5453 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Anyone else get to a wizard mode yet? Mine didn't end well.

I've had mine for months and still haven't seen a wizard
Mode! Mini or otherwise

#5454 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I went to TPF to buy a gotg, but Houdini changed everything!

A fine choice.

#5455 5 years ago

Can someone explain the rules for the mode “Bullet Catch?” I get the basics of shooting the lock, then another ball kicks out to score the hurry up, but here’s where I’m confused:
1. After you shoot the roving light, why is the lock shot still lit? Is it just another shot to score the hurry up?
2. I’ve played a few games where the trunk lock wasn’t lit, and when it wanted me to shoot the lock as the first mode shot, it just kept feeding the ball back to me and I couldn’t make progress. Is this a bug or a feature?

#5456 5 years ago

Ok guys, I'm back in town after dropping my daughter off at college for her freshmen year. A lot when on around here while I was gone, so, if I missed things that require an answer, please repost.

Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Can someone explain the rules for the mode “Bullet Catch?” I get the basics of shooting the lock, then another ball kicks out to score the hurry up, but here’s where I’m confused:
1. After you shoot the roving light, why is the lock shot still lit? Is it just another shot to score the hurry up?
2. I’ve played a few games where the trunk lock wasn’t lit, and when it wanted me to shoot the lock as the first mode shot, it just kept feeding the ball back to me and I couldn’t make progress. Is this a bug or a feature?

The lock shot stays lit as a a jackpot shot, as well as the shot you hit to 'aim' (Originally it was just the lock shot, which made it too hard, plus having it also be the 'aim' shot really creates better strategy around setting up the right shot to be the jackpot.

There is a bug with the lock shot if the trunk is not already lit for lock, that is fixed in the next release.

Quoted from mbwalker:

The ouija board got out of whack w/respect to the letter it was on. See pic. Running the latest code.

Interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Quoted from PhantomO:

OK, Josh, rosh I collected all the Houdini letters, and then got a scrolling screen of instructions describing phase 1 and phase 2 of what I assume is the master or mini magician mode. The first part was a multiball with a special twist. After I was down to a single ball, I needed to make a flashing shot. But time ran out before I could make it, and the flippers died and the ball drained - the narrator said something like "Maybe Next Time." Then I got a blue screen and some tiny computer text I couldn't read, and the game rebooted. It did not save my score (about 2.8 million) or any reference to that last game. So I'm thinking this might be a bug associated with master magician mode. (This may have only been a mini-magician mode, because I did not complete the secret missions). Should I send in a log?

That was the master macigian mode and sounds like you failed it, and the game self destructs. . Looks like a bug with the wrap up at the end. Your game will end after the master magician mode, either your pass or fail, but game ends. This happened to someone else and it is a bug when it was looking to award points for any extra balls you may have still had. It is fixed in next release.

Quoted from PinMonk:

I was more referring to the actual graphic file so people can check them out as a reference. When you upload, select "original size (no rescaling)" and it will not try to change it.

You can download an image from here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yB5eT45Fku_kdk9TXtIiPz-adVmf5bKa

Trunk eject is not working 100% and ball does hang on the captive ball half the time

Doubt anyone will ever get it to work 100%, the fact it works as often as it does is a bonus. I'm sure some clever individuals will find ways to improve it and will report it here.

#5457 5 years ago

Hay,Rosh,your still the escape champ on my pin I'm working on it,I'll get ya yet Cool pin,having fun!!!

#5458 5 years ago

9:07 PM wall power is 118-119v.
Game is playing perfectly!
Upped the auto launch by 2.
Lubed the shooter rod with a little lock ease graphite spray it was getting rough and hard to control.
Upped the upper catapult by 2 to make the jump more consistent.
High score now 1.5 million (pinballgoddess of course).
Houdini will be in my dreams tonite lol.

Check the shooter rod and if there is a washer on the inside between the housing and the spring removing it will make it a lot smoother pull.

#5459 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Check the shooter rod and if there is a washer on the inside between the housing and the spring removing it will make it a lot smoother pull.

A lot of games have a rough shooter rod when they're brand new.
It just takes a couple hundred plays for them to polish up.

I just put a little silicone spray or a little graphite spray on the shooter rod from the outside and they work perfectly.

Wipe off the excess of course and hold it with a paper towel so it doesn't make a mess.

#5460 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I was having trouble with my shooter rod. I put a new one in and have not had a problem since. Always possible it got bent slightly during shipping.

#5461 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

A question on the 3-ball lock under the ramp on the left: When a ball gets locked there, the trunk jackpot value is increased. But I never have more than one ball locked there at a time. When I send a second ball into the lock, the first ball is always immediately released. I've never had 2 balls stay locked, never mind a third. I don't think this is the way it is supposed to operate. Appreciate any details about this, thanks! barryj

Well you are correct about the 2 balls never being there let alone 3 balls. The thought on that is... it would be interesting to have the balls come from different places..Kinda magical, but if the 3 balls were right there you would know where they are coming from.

Hope this helps!

#5462 5 years ago

I wouldn't use any product with graphite in it, in a pinball machine.

It conducts electricity. And if it works it's way into anything else, you could have problems.

LTG : )
Disclaimer : Learned that at my Father's arcade. Graphite bullets in the shooting range sent dust over the entire arcade. Did a good job of shorting leaf blade switch stacks over time.

#5463 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I wouldn't use any product with graphite in it, in a pinball machine.
It conducts electricity. And if it works it's way into anything else, you could have problems.
Disclaimer : Learned that at my Father's arcade. Graphite bullets in the shooting range sent dust over the entire arcade. Did a good job of shorting leaf blade switch stacks over time.

Yes, I agree about graphite.

I couldn't for the life of me find my sil-glide spray...

But I did find my lock-ease.

#5464 5 years ago

We really love the game so far, but have had a couple of issues. Tilt not working, not thrilled about that but hopefully I can fix. I've lowered some requirements for Houdini letters, had some good luck and entered wizard mode. Got the magician's final exam text for a second and then the game rebooted. That was a bummer.

#5465 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

. Tilt not working,

See post 5111

Do you have the 18.8.1 update in your game ?

Otherwise check with American Pinball Support.

#5466 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

See post 5111
Do you have the 18.8.1 update in your game ?
Otherwise check with American Pinball Support.

I do. Working through that now. Maybe I should have just left it at the reboot.

Been a hell of a past couple of weeks. New (to me) house, new car... a neighbor's massive ancient white oak tree fell on my garage, house and 2 cars. I'm trying to maintain some sense of normalcy but we keep having these intense storms.

#5467 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

We really love the game so far, but have had a couple of issues. Tilt not working, not thrilled about that but hopefully I can fix. I've lowered some requirements for Houdini letters, had some good luck and entered wizard mode. Got the magician's final exam text for a second and then the game rebooted. That was a bummer.

My tilt is working with the newest code. 18-8-5 version

#5468 5 years ago

Website has the new Update 18.8.5.
Try that. TILT working.

#5469 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Ooh, I know the feeling. I played the two phases of that mode, drained quickly, and then the game rebooted. Didn't save my score. Hopefully this is fixed in next update, tho it may be a year before I get to the mode again, even with a 5 ball game and a few extra balls.

#5470 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Website has the new Update 18.8.5.
Try that. TILT working.

Funny call out on the tilt as well

#5471 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Funny call out on the tilt as well

I've gotten tilt warnings with the big yellow screen with a buzzer sound but no tilt voice yet.
Does it only talk to you when you've tilted the game?

#5472 5 years ago

Anyone else noticed this? On the "Secret Missions," you apparently have to go all the way around the ramp before you can continue, BUT if you go partially up the ramp the red indicator light will advance. This leads you to believe that you can then go for the next shot (ie, orbit or scoop), but when you do the red light just goes back to the ramp, prompting you to start over.

#5473 5 years ago

Videogod I have noticed the same thing. Kind of annoying but it makes sense why it wouldn’t award you the combo. I do wish there was more grace if you hit a couple kickers or side switches first.

#5474 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Yes only after you have tilted !

#5475 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I've gotten tilt warnings with the big yellow screen with a buzzer sound but no tilt voice yet.

Cop w/ Irish brogue: "I've come to kick ass and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of bubble gum."

#5476 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Anyone else noticed this? On the "Secret Missions," you apparently have to go all the way around the ramp before you can continue, BUT if you go partially up the ramp the red indicator light will advance. This leads you to believe that you can then go for the next shot (ie, orbit or scoop), but when you do the red light just goes back to the ramp, prompting you to start over.

Yes, and I've also noticed that for many modes (Elephant, Grim Game, etc.) when you need to hit a ramp it you hit it slowly and it takes a while to get all the way down the ramp, sometimes with a nice nudge to keep it from dropping through the hole, it won't award the shot at all. This doesn't only happen during MB or when the ramp is lit for a combo secret mission shot.

#5477 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yes, and I've also noticed that for many modes (Elephant, Haldane, etc.) when you need to hit a ramp it you hit it slowly and it takes a while to get all the way down the ramp, sometimes with a nice nudge to keep it from dropping through the hole, it won't award the shot at all. This doesn't only happen during MB or when the ramp is lit for a combo secret mission shot.

You are correct about that misleading ramp light. I find the ramp one of the toughest shots to make consistently in terms of completing it. I even raised the left flipper coil strength to improve completions, but it hasn't helped much.

#5478 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

You are correct about that misleading ramp light. I find the ramp one of the toughest shots to make consistently in terms of completing it. I even raised the left flipper coil strength to improve completions, but it hasn't helped much.

This won’t help if you are going for consecutive ramp shots but you can also backhand it from the right

#5479 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This won’t help if you are going for consecutive ramp shots but you can also backhand it from the right

Sometimes (for me anyway). I find a shot from the left flipper works more consistently.

It can be challenging, but compared to the left ramp on my TWD Premium, Houdini's ramp is a piece of cake.

#5480 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What is your coil setting on the right flipper to make this shot?

#5481 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Sometimes (for me anyway). I find a shot from the left flipper works more consistently.
It can be challenging, but compared to the left ramp on my TWD Premium, Houdini's ramp is a piece of cake.

I can’t nail the ramp on demand from the left, but if I have a dead stopped ball cradled, I can make the ramp most of the time. It barely has the juice to get up there though so if you’re not squarely in the middle, the left-to-right motion will rob it’s energy and it won’t make it all the way up

#5482 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

What is your coil setting on the right flipper to make this shot?

I’ll check, but both my flippers are dialed down from the defaults. My game is also just about all the way down on the leg levellers, making it roughly 6 degrees as AP intended - not the standard 6.5 which a lot of people have set up (and makes the game way more unpredictable)

#5483 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’ll check, but both my flippers are dialed down from the defaults. My game is also just about all the way down on the leg levellers, making it roughly 6 degrees as AP intended - not the standard 6.5 which a lot of people have set up (and makes the game way more unpredictable)

My manual says 6.5 degrees during setup I thought it was a little steep.
So I got between 6.1, 6.3, and 6.5 from bottom to top..

So I'm calling it 6.3-6.4 average?

Wall voltage at 119-120v

I have my flippers set at 28 left, 27 right.

I upped all the pops by 1.

The scoop eject was consistantly bouncing off the top post of the right sling. I raised the scoop power by 1.

Has anyone adjusted the scoop eject path?

Should it end up at the right flipper without hitting the sling at all? If so I have to adjust the lane guide to do this.

Or should it trickle down the inlane?

#5484 5 years ago

My manual says 6.5 degrees during setup I thought it was a little steep.
So I got between 6.1, 6.3, and 6.5 from bottom to top..
So I'm calling it 6.3-6.4 average?
Wall voltage at 119-120v
I have my flippers set at 28 left, 27 right.
I upped all the pops by 1.
The scoop eject was consistantly bouncing off the top post of the right sling. I raised the scoop power by 1.
Has anyone adjusted the scoop eject path?
Should it end up at the right flipper without hitting the sling at all? If so I have to adjust the lane guide to do this.

I adjusted my scoop. Helps a LOT. You ideally shouldn’t need to adjust the coil strength beyond the default; in fact it should be the weakest setting where it still clears the edge consistently

The ball still does hit the right sling most of the time. It doesn’t drain too often, but I do have to nudge a lot

Which Manual said 6.5 degrees?

#5485 5 years ago

During a game last night I couldn't score trunk mb.
Catapult worked 100% over and over again.

The game lost track of the balls and went into ball search. Then ended ball 2 while it was in play.

There were at least 4 stacked modes going at the time.

I served ball 3 and had a 2 ball mb going for awile.
Drained 1 ball and still had 1 in play but the game ended ball 3.

I rebooted the game and all was good again.

#5486 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I adjusted my scoop. Helps a LOT. You ideally shouldn’t need to adjust the coil strength beyond the default; in fact it should be the weakest setting where it still clears the edge consistently
The ball still does hit the right sling most of the time. It doesn’t drain too often, but I do have to nudge a lot
Which Manual said 6.5 degrees?

The manual says that with all the leg adjusters all the way in should be 6.5 degrees, early in the photo copied manual that came with the game.

It could be wrong but the game plays pretty good for now at 6.3 degrees.

What are your flippers set at?

I adjusted my flipper power so that a clean stage alley shot goes perfectly into the stage.

Default power the ball would graze the pop bumper and fail to make it to the stage.

Also a weak hit to the the ramp from the left flipper drops into the hole and a clean shot goes all the way around.

I think this is how it's intended to work.

#5487 5 years ago

My power fluctuates a bit so upping the scoop by one seems to work as intended with it having to repeat to get the ball out 1 in 10 or 20 times.

#5488 5 years ago

My power fluctuates a bit so upping the scoop by one seems to work as intended with it having to repeat to get the ball out 1 in 10 or 20 times.

I didn't finish my thought, sorry - you may also want to try lowering the scoop strength - if the scoop is too strong the ball will bang into the top of the scoop, but will still eject. Not that important if it's working for ya though -

I wonder if that manual is a typo? Josh will know for sure, but I am fairly certain with levelers all the way in, the game is at 6 degrees.

#5489 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I didn't finish my thought, sorry - you may also want to try lowering the scoop strength - if the scoop is too strong the ball will bang into the top of the scoop, but will still eject. Not that important if it's working for ya though -
I wonder if that manual is a typo? Josh will know for sure, but I am fairly certain with levelers all the way in, the game is at 6 degrees.

Yes it's been noted that 6 degrees is the default.

Mine was at 5.5 but who knows how level a floor is lol.

The scoop is set up by 1 so it's close to the default.

I'm monitoring it for now.

I would like to backhand the inner loop.
I might have to look at the flipper angle.

#5490 5 years ago

Yes it's been noted that 6 degrees is the default.
Mine was at 5.5 but who knows how level a floor is lol.
The scoop is set up by 1 so it's close to the default.
I'm monitoring it for now.
I would like to backhand the inner loop.
I might have to look at the flipper angle.

You should be able to backhand the right inner loop fairly consistently, most games I'm way more consistent with that than off the left flipper.

#5491 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

You should be able to backhand the right inner loop fairly consistently, most games I'm way more consistent with that than off the left flipper.

What are you flippers set at?
I'm at 28r 27L

When I backhand I get a lot of rattles.
The angle seems off from a cradled position for a good backhand.

Will keep practicing it!

#5492 5 years ago

Left flipper collapsed during 5 ball mb.

Also right flipper collapsed twice during straight jacket escape.

Similar conditions, very hard hit off a seance target rebound.

During multiball.

Wall voltage at 119v

It surprised me.

I haven't seen a flipper collapse or fail to hold on other games.

It really might be necessary to install EOS switches if it cant be handled in the code.

I mean, that's what they're for right?

I hear that someone has installed EOS switches please PM me with the details.

#5493 5 years ago

Can happen depending on system if flipper button leaf blade switches need cleaning or contact point at end of blade isn't making good electrical contact with blade, or if optos - could need cleaning.

Might be worth checking until AP posts.

#5494 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Can happen depending on system if flipper button leaf blade switches need cleaning or contact point at end of blade isn't making good electrical contact with blade, or if optos - could need cleaning.

Thanks lloyd!

I'll clean everything and check the adjustments.

The collapse is weird.
The flipper went all the way down and didn't spring back up until it was pressed again.

It only happens on super strong/full power hits from a bad shot back onto the raised flipper.
And most frequently during mb with several stacked modes running.

#5495 5 years ago

What are you flippers set at?
I'm at 28r 37L

Holy crap - those are supercharged! 37?!

#5496 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

this happened to me recently, but it turned out just the spring had pulled out

#5497 5 years ago

The manual says that with all the leg adjusters all the way in should be 6.5 degrees, early in the photo copied manual that came with the game.
It could be wrong but the game plays pretty good for now at 6.4 degrees.
What are your flippers set at?
I adjusted my flipper power so that a clean stage alley shot goes perfectly into the stage.
Default power the ball would graze the pop bumper and fail to make it to the stage.
Also a weak hit to the the ramp from the left flipper drops into the hole and a clean shot goes all the way around.
I think this is how it's intended to work.

That is a typo... Should be at 6 degrees.

#5498 5 years ago

Yeah, mine are 23 and 21 and my game is about 6.5 degrees incline. In addition to back-handing the inner loop I can back-hand the ramp entrance pretty consistently but it only makes it all the way maybe 30% of the time I hit it. I still get a few airballs even at these settings.

#5499 5 years ago

Left flipper collapsed during 5 ball mb.
Also right flipper collapsed twice during straight jacket escape.
Similar conditions, very hard hit off a seance target rebound.
During multiball.
Wall voltage at 119v
It surprised me.
It really might be necessary to install EOS switches if it cant be handled in the code.
I mean, that's what there for right?
I hear that someone has installed EOS switches please PM me with the details.

Go to menu>adjustments>standard Turn on Flipper Power Hold

Should be the solution for your problem

#5500 5 years ago

27 lol typo...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.