20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 297.
#5301 5 years ago

I’m talking about starting them. Need to complete the escape targets when half of them you need to just hope the pop bumpers hit them, then to start you need to hope the ball falls in the hole up there. Maybe if the hole up top and the scoop started the escape modes?

#5302 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m talking about starting them. Need to complete the escape targets when half of them you need to just hope the pop bumpers hit them, then to start you need to hope the ball falls in the hole up there. Maybe if the hole up top and the scoop started the escape modes?

Ah, gotcha! Yes, the APE targets are pretty much a happenstance from the right side of the pops or the ring that's to the left of the stage. I can get a fairly consistent shot to them by banking one off the lower ESC targets but I don't think I've ever completed Escape Death by hitting all the targets in 30 seconds.

#5303 5 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Enjoy
Pincades
Jesse T

Kudo's to Jessie at Pincades. Blades, MagicGlass, and a shaker - all at a decent price!

Made it in the basement w/o a scratch - now time to back up to the OP a start to read up on all amazing things this game has to offer

#5304 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Kudo's to Jessie at Pincades. Blades, MagicGlass, and a shaker - all at a decent price!
Made it in the basement w/o a scratch - now time to back up to the OP a start to read up on all amazing things this game has to offer

Enjoy man! If you bought one used at the show I think I played enough games on it Friday to get it good and broken on for you!

#5305 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I played Houdini at Pintastic and thought it was great. I actually got to play it with Joe Balcer which was really cool. While looking for one I was reading the reviews that are all over the place, negative and positive. After finding one and having it on the way somebody startd a topic about Houdini being too difficult. So of course I started to wonder if I made the right decision. I got my game today and hell yeah I made the right decision! I love to have diversity in my collection and this game is awesome. I am a mediocre player at best and this game is not that hard. I will have to chime in on the Houdini being too difficult threat now. This game rocks!

I played it there too after Joe Balcer tweaked the settings, and had enough success that i took a chance and bought the last one in the box there. I've been racking up some good scores. Unfortunately, I
keep having to tweak the trunk catapult.

#5306 5 years ago

I have been traveling and haven't played my Houdini in a week. Turned it on tonight and the two LCD screens light up but nothing on the playfield does. Anyone have this happen to them? I sent my logs to josh.

#5307 5 years ago

I'm glad that we have the option to turn the laughing girl off. That was annoying to me.

#5308 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

I have been traveling and haven't played my Houdini in a week. Turned it on tonight and the two LCD screens light up but nothing on the playfield does. Anyone have this happen to them? I sent my logs to josh.

Power off for a good few minutes and reboot. Sometimes it just doesn't initialize properly. Does the big screen have the loading progress bar on it?

#5309 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I'm glad that we have the option to turn the laughing girl off. That was annoying to me.

Options are good. It might be my favorite sound in the game.

#5310 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Options are good. It might be my favorite sound in the game.

I think they add to the game, for sure. That new movie narrator guy voice? Not so much.

#5311 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Power off for a good few minutes and reboot. Sometimes it just doesn't initialize properly. Does the big screen have the loading progress bar on it?

No both screens say no signal.

#5312 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Options are good

Yep. It's awesome that there are so many options.

#5313 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

No both screens say no signal.

Sounds like loose connection to the computer box in the head. Power to monitors, but no power to the computer. Check connections.

#5314 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Ah, gotcha! Yes, the APE targets are pretty much a happenstance from the right side of the pops or the ring that's to the left of the stage. I can get a fairly consistent shot to them by banking one off the lower ESC targets but I don't think I've ever completed Escape Death by hitting all the targets in 30 seconds.

One good rule is every trip to jail hole lights an escape letter. Also hitting lit magic targets will light them.. So if you work those into your process it helps a lot.

Escape Death is a rare victory, but Seance is reliably makeable.

#5315 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Game not booting but you were able to pull logs?

Was going to say if not booting take off backljlass and manually hit power button to see if that starts it upper does anything different.

Probably won’t get to look at logs until tomorrow

#5316 5 years ago

Info please ... Since the last code update ( fantasic ) I've noticed that when going into a mode and the stage door closes and the playfield goes dark .. My spotlight no longer lights up the stage?

This game keeps getting better and better... Keep up the great work AP

#5317 5 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Enjoy man! If you bought one used at the show I think I played enough games on it Friday to get it good and broken on for you!

Hah, so you're the one that must have used up all the points in the machine cause we are not getting any tonight!

Got the one w/the Magic Glass - I would have never thought it made such a visible difference. Prior, I would have said "Frivolous expense." Sitting next to our JD...absolutely a noticeable difference. Zero doubt at about it. When first I saw it at the show, I literally reach down thinking "There's no glass here.", only to touch glass. Not kidding - it's that good. I was just going to nab the NIB w/standard glass and blades, but for the money JT quoted...yeah, no brainer. Made a great game that much better.

#5318 5 years ago

Is there supposed to be a fuse in here?

IMG_1259 (resized).JPGIMG_1259 (resized).JPG
#5319 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Is there supposed to be a fuse in here?

From BarryJ post 3310 :

Everyone else's second fuse holder empty? Yes the board is designed for 2 different voltages. The only voltage being used right now is 12V for the LED on the start button and shaker motor if installed. the other empty fuse might be used for the 48V to run the knocker coil...but we are also testing a 12V knocker.. We have options!

LTG : )

#5320 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

From BarryJ post 3310 :
Everyone else's second fuse holder empty? Yes the board is designed for 2 different voltages. The only voltage being used right now is 12V for the LED on the start button and shaker motor if installed. the other empty fuse might be used for the 48V to run the knocker coil...but we are also testing a 12V knocker.. We have options!

Thanks Lloyd I'm having a problem with my Houdini and can't figure it out. Turns on and the lights come on but both screens are blue. Tried reinstalling code and it does nothing but pull logs. Any suggestions?

#5321 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Thanks Lloyd I'm having a problem with my Houdini and can't figure it out. Turns on and the lights come on but both screens are blue. Tried reinstalling code and it does nothing but pull logs. Any suggestions?

Did you send the logs in to Josh? That's the first step to fixing your problem.

#5322 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Did you send the logs in to Josh? That's the first step to fixing your problem.

Yes I did that yesterday

#5323 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

I'm having a problem with my Houdini and can't figure it out. Turns on and the lights come on but both screens are blue. Tried reinstalling code and it does nothing but pull logs. Any suggestions?

Did you check vireland's post 5313 - Sounds like loose connection to the computer box in the head. Power to monitors, but no power to the computer. Check connections.

?

#5324 5 years ago

Checked connections in head and all seem to be good

#5325 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Checked connections in head and all seem to be good

While waiting on American Pinball. May as well reseat those connectors and push in tight.

#5326 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

This is confusing. If both screens are blue, how do you know you successfully reinstalled code? How do you know it's pulling logs?

#5327 5 years ago

Ok tried that and still nothing. This is what I get

IMG_1260 (resized).JPGIMG_1260 (resized).JPG
#5328 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Ok tried that and still nothing. This is what I get
[quoted image]

But how do you know you pulled logs or re-installed the software if you can't even get a display?

#5329 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But how do you know you pulled logs or re-installed the software if you can't even get a display?

Dont the logs autowrite to a USB stick on bootup? In case of catastrophic failure?

#5330 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Dont the logs autowrite to a USB stick on bootup? In case of catastrophic failure?

The logs I can maybe see, but you would just have to leave it there since you can't tell when it's done.

#5331 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Yes I did that yesterday

Logs show bad install. (could be a bad download or a bad USB stick) (some USB sticks do not work right)

This is what you need to do.
1. Remove the code downloaded from our web site on your computer.
2. Download the code again https://www.american-pinball.com/support/updates/
3. Get a different 4GB or bigger USB stick, format to FAT 32.
4. Move folder from computer to USB stick
5. Reinstall on the Houdini.
6. Enjoy

#5332 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Logs show bad install. (could be a bad download or a bad USB stick) (some USB sticks do not work right)
This is what you need to do.
1. Remove the code downloaded from our web site on your computer.
2. Download the code again https://www.american-pinball.com/support/updates/
3. Get a different 4GB or bigger USB stick, format to FAT 32.
4. Move folder from computer to USB stick
5. Reinstall on the Houdini.
6. Enjoy

Another customer had one of these issues a few weeks ago - it should recover, dont worry!

#5333 5 years ago

Tried a new USB stick and followed all Barry's instructions and still the game doesn't work. It says game code updated and when I power cycle the screen is still blue.

#5334 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Tried a new USB stick and followed all Barry's instructions and still the game doesn't work. It says game code updated and when I power cycle the screen is still blue.

Did you try a fresh download of the software ? New USB stick, but did you try a different brand ?

#5335 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you try a fresh download of the software ? New USB stick, but did you try a different brand ?

Fresh download and different brand stick.

#5336 5 years ago

Found 2 more sticks and that didn't work either.

IMG_1262 (resized).JPGIMG_1262 (resized).JPG
#5337 5 years ago

Fair to say it isn't the upgrade media.

#5338 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Found 2 more sticks and that didn't work either.
[quoted image]

Are you using Windows or Mac?

#5340 5 years ago

Maybe try plugging the USB stick directly into the MPU instead of using the extension cable?? I've never looked to see how hard that would be to access but might be worth a shot if it's not too difficult.

#5341 5 years ago

I think at this point it’s best to put in a ticket and wait for help from Barry.

#5342 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Fresh download and different brand stick.

logs show it was a bad install of the code.

After download how big is the file?
Be sure you are copying over the most recent download to the USB (eg double check and delete any previous downloads)

Did you confirm the format of the usb drive?

Check the file size after you copy to the usb.

When it updates how long is it taking? Should take around five minutes.

#5343 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

logs show it was a bad install of the code.
After download how big is the file?
Be sure you are copying over the most recent download to the USB (eg double check and delete any previous downloads)
Did you confirm the format of the usb drive?
Check the file size after you copy to the usb.
When it updates how long is it taking? Should take around five minutes.

The file download is the latest on the website. It shows almost 1.5G downloaded. The drive is formatted to 32 fat. When installed in Houdini it only takes a few seconds and then says update completed now power cycle.

#5344 5 years ago

rosh Who is the "Ryan C." who is crossed out on the credits?

#5345 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

this should be interesting

#5346 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

pyprocgameHD was developed by MOcean and me to add LCD support and other improvements to pyprocgame written by Adam Preble for the multimoprhic P-roc system.

I read somewhere that there is a slack channel that is that is mostly P-roc and HDpyprocgame users. Can anyone provide a link to that? Seems like a great place to learn more about ways to implement pins.

#5347 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

I read somewhere that there is a slack channel that is that is mostly P-roc and HDpyprocgame users. Can anyone provide a link to that? Seems like a great place to learn more about ways to implement pins.

You can email Multimorphic at [email protected] to get invited to their Slack workspace

also pindev.slack.com

#5348 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I would call it a Smart business decision for API!

#5349 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I was wondering this as well...Hmmmm? Hope it's not a bad story.

#5350 5 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Hope it's not a bad story.

If it was, you think it would just be removed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/107?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.