20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 297.
#5001 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

It always sounds like I get boo’d even when I complete a stage mode.

The cheering is not clear enough.

YES! I posted this a couple months ago and I thought I was alone in that thought. To me it sounds like I'm getting boo'ed.

#5002 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

YES! I posted this a couple months ago and I thought I was alone in that thought. To me it sounds like I'm getting boo'ed.

Exactly! I suggested either louder cheering or having Harry proclaim his victory upon escaping, which would be cool!

#5003 5 years ago

Quick question...Just installed a shaker today and the cover they (AP) sent me is about 3/4 of an inch to wide. I cannot secure it (cover) Berry from tech told me to squeeze it in there. I tried, but it would surely break. Anyone else install one and run into this issue? I would have to pry off the coin box guide on the left to get it to work. Don't really want to do that. Not a huge issue, just want to understand what the proper cover measures? This one measures 4 and 3/4 wide.

#5004 5 years ago

Magicians in this place were certainly not Houdini experts

6DD96D36-EE5E-40DD-A77B-F95300F42B4F (resized).jpeg6DD96D36-EE5E-40DD-A77B-F95300F42B4F (resized).jpeg

#5005 5 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Quick question...Just installed a shaker today and the cover they (AP) sent me is about 3/4 of an inch too wide. I cannot secure it (cover) Berry from tech told me to squeeze it in there. I tried, but it would surely break. Anyone else install one and run into this issue? I would have to pry off the coin box guide on the left to get it to work. Don't really want to do that. Not a huge issue, just want to understand what the proper cover measures? This one measures 4 and 3/4 wide.

Unfortunately the one we were using we can no longer use due to a competitor …

Was the flange trimmed down on the sides? If so, it should squeeze in without breaking

#5006 5 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Quick question...Just installed a shaker today and the cover they (AP) sent me is about 3/4 of an inch to wide. I cannot secure it (cover) Berry from tech told me to squeeze it in there. I tried, but it would surely break. Anyone else install one and run into this issue? I would have to pry off the coin box guide on the left to get it to work. Don't really want to do that. Not a huge issue, just want to understand what the proper cover measures? This one measures 4 and 3/4 wide.

It fits. Loosen the housing for the shaker and push it as far to the outside of the cabinet side as you can, then tighten it. Then, kind of angle the cover in a little as you slide it down. It's VERY tight, but it will fit. You can also use something thin and semi-rigid like a spatula to shoehorn it in.

#5007 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Exactly! I suggested either louder cheering or having Harry proclaim his victory upon escaping, which would be cool!

Yep - if I don't catch a glimpse of the display at the right time after I complete a mode, I often can't tell from the sound alone whether I was successful or not.

#5008 5 years ago

Houdini’s in stock at Abel electronics. Michigan American Pinball distributor. PM for info.

#5009 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Magicians in this place were certainly not Houdini experts
[quoted image]

That chain is usually staffed by college kids. There is a decent Houdini museum and shop in Times Square next time you are in nyc.

#5010 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Unfortunately the one we were using we can no longer use due to a competitor …
Was the flange trimmed down on the sides? If so, it should squeeze in without breaking

No, but I will do that and squeeze it in there. Just didn't want to try and force without knowing the full story. Thanks all for the help

#5011 5 years ago

Would someone please ID what this and what it is for? It was in the Houdini goody bag. Thanks!

20180728_133803 (resized).jpg20180728_133803 (resized).jpg
#5012 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Would someone please ID what this and what it is for? It was in the Houdini goody bag. Thanks!
[quoted image]

You can attach it to the LCD; it's for power on/off, brightness, the menu, etc. Just like a regular computer monitor

#5013 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You can attach it to the LCD

Just to be clear, for the mini-lcd on playfield, but you will likely never need it

#5014 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You can attach it to the LCD; it's for power on/off, brightness, the menu, etc. Just like a regular computer monitor

Quoted from rosh:

Just to be clear, for the mini-lcd on playfield, but you will likely never need it

Got it, thanks!

#5015 5 years ago

Took a break from Houdini to enjoy the nice weather. Last game was good tho, finished milkcan mode

017B39DF-9944-49F4-BFFA-5A7D37846778 (resized).jpeg017B39DF-9944-49F4-BFFA-5A7D37846778 (resized).jpeg2EEEB77B-C00E-4E62-AFF2-321B12FC7AC1 (resized).jpeg2EEEB77B-C00E-4E62-AFF2-321B12FC7AC1 (resized).jpeg
#5016 5 years ago

Just ran into one of our location regulars this afternoon when I was cleaning machines. He told me he lost his house in the Carr fire that's all over around the city here, and his pristene ToM was melted to the ground along with a car and his harley. Total bummer.

#5017 5 years ago

That sucks regarding his house (as well as his TOM). My family suffered a major house fire when I was a kid and we had to live elsewhere for 6 months, but I can only imagine how hard a blow it is to have your home totally destroyed in a wildfire. Hopefully, no one was hurt or killed in getting out and he has adequate insurance.

#5018 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

That sucks regarding his house (as well as his TOM). My family suffered a major house fire when I was a kid and we had to live elsewhere for 6 months, but I can only imagine how hard a blow it is to have your home totally destroyed in a wildfire. Hopefully, no one was hurt or killed in getting out and he has adequate insurance.

This guy just lost lots of possessions. Fatalaties are pretty low considering the size and scope of this enormous fire. 1 Firefighter, 1 Hired contractor, 3 civilians (grandpa left them to run errands before evac and the fire got them - stupid).

#5019 5 years ago

My trunk catapult shoots both far left and far right erratically. not sure how to adjust that. Coil strength is 27. Score was from 5 ball game set up easy peasy.

20180729_154136 (resized).jpg20180729_154136 (resized).jpg
#5020 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

My trunk catapult shoots both far left and far right erratically. not sure how to adjust that. Coil strength is 27. Score was from 5 ball game set up easy peasy. [quoted image]

I’d check that the catapult arm doesn’t have play; see if it needs tightening under the PF

#5021 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’d check that the catapult arm doesn’t have play; see if it needs tightening under the PF

I'd also make sure that it is dropping all the way down, though I suspect the switch wouldn't register the ball being there if it didn't, just thinking maybe the ball doesn't always end up centered in the catapult arm.

#5022 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

My trunk catapult shoots both far left and far right erratically. not sure how to adjust that. Coil strength is 27. Score was from 5 ball game set up easy peasy. [quoted image]

Try lowering the catapult coil strength. I operate mine on 25; if I raise it to 26, it throws it to the left.

FWIW: No such thing as "easy peasy" on Houdini. Just "Kill Me Now Hard", "Super Hard", and "Hard".

#5023 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'd also make sure that it is dropping all the way down, though I suspect the switch wouldn't register the ball being there if it didn't, just thinking maybe the ball doesn't always end up centered in the catapult arm.

Yes, that may be it, because i bent the switch arm up high because the ball wasnt always pushing it down far enough to activate the switch. I readjusted it lower and now arm seems to be firing centered most of the time. The arm linkage has a bit of wiggle, but all seems to be connected properly.

#5024 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Try lowering the catapult coil strength. I operate mine on 25; if I raise it to 26, it throws it to the left.
FWIW: No such thing as "easy peasy" on Houdini. Just "Kill Me Now Hard", "Super Hard", and "Hard".

LOL

I have games where I brick almost every shot, and then I’ll play one more game, and suddenly it’s Grand Champion territory!

Finally got around to removing the washer on the plunger arm (the one inside the cab) and holy crap what a difference, totally smooth now.

#5025 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Are these now included with every new Houdini?
You probably knew that question was coming...LOL

#5026 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:LOL
I have games where I brick almost every shot, and then I’ll play one more game, and suddenly it’s Grand Champion territory!
Finally got around to removing the washer on the plunger arm (the one inside the cab) and holy crap what a difference, totally smooth now.

Same here so far. Plunger seems smooth, but i can rarely hit the top skill shot target. I will try it without washer. BTW, anyone see the captive stage ball during play? I havent yet.

#5027 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Same here so far. Plunger seems smooth, but i can rarely hit the top skill shot target. I will try it without washer. BTW, anyone see the captive stage ball during play? I havent yet.

There is another, more involved adjustment for hitting the target - you have to slightly bend the metal ball guide a little (wider? I think?)

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-5/Houdini-Skill-Shot-Fix.pdf

#5028 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There is another, more involved adjustment for hitting the target - you have to slightly bend the metal ball guide a little (wider? I think?)
http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-5/Houdini-Skill-Shot-Fix.pdf

Thanks, I did see that procedure. I'll try it if I can't zero in on the right level of plunge. The autofire makes the top target sometimes, so I should be able to...

#5029 5 years ago

FYI, I had a spare powered sub sitting around, so I decided to try it out on Houdini. It....sounds.....amazing!! I set the crossover to filter out anything above 120Hz. Huge difference, IMHO. If you are thinking about doing it, do it. Easy to hookup tot he amp and well worth it for the home environment.

#5030 5 years ago

Which cliffy protector is being used on the ball scoop on the right? I thought there was a link in this thread. Im gonna need one before I play anymore

#5031 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Which cliffy protector is being used on the ball scoop on the right? I thought there was a link in this thread. Im gonna need one before I play anymore

Just email him ([email protected] or [email protected]) and ask for a set of protectors for Houdini. He's usually 1-2 months out, so you'll have a wait.

#5032 5 years ago

This is the set that Cliffy currently has for Houdini - scoop and shooter ejects.

Houdini-set (resized).jpgHoudini-set (resized).jpg

#5033 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Loosen the brass receiver bar screws and see if it is able to lock better

That works, but you have to find a happy medium. loosening the screws allows the yellow lever to be swung over to the far right, but it also seems to make the bar less secure/tight. Got to add beer foam to make it snug.

#5034 5 years ago

For the people having issues with the catapult shooting right or left.

We have discovered that over time the catapult that was shooting fine, all of a sudden is shooting wide in either direction.

The fix for this condition is, disassemble the catapult arm from the fulcrum clean with rubbing alcohol or similar, reassemble and enjoy.

#5035 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

We have discovered that over time the catapult that was shooting fine, all of a sudden is shooting wide in either direction.
The fix for this condition is, disassemble the catapult arm from the fulcrum clean with rubbing alcohol or similar, reassemble and enjoy.

What about adding a tiny drop of sewing machine oil like on spinners?

#5036 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

What about adding a tiny drop of sewing machine oil like on spinners?

Do you mean where the metal axle goes into a hole in a piece of metal holding it ? I would. The spinners last years longer before they break.

LTG : )

#5037 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Do you mean where the metal axle goes into a hole in a piece of metal holding it ? I would. The spinners last years longer before they break.

Yes.
I would think it would be ok.
Just clean it out when necessary with naphtha or alcohol?

#5038 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Thanks, great tip! I also discovered lowering the catapult coil strength and playing with the leg levels helped.

#5039 5 years ago

Just clean it out when necessary with naphtha or alcohol?

A tiny drop of oil or light grease. I'd leave it alone until when you do a thorough shop job. Then clean and when done put a drop of oil on it. Clean it with what ever is handy. Fantastic, 409, Windex, etc.

#5040 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

A tiny drop of oil or light grease. I'd leave it alone until when you do a thorough shop job. Then clean and when done put a drop of oil on it. Clean it with what ever is handy. Fantastic, 409, Windex, etc.

Will spit work? I'm out of 409!

#5041 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Nose grease. Very common product, always there when you need it. Actually works great on film gates and fine threads to.

#5042 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yours will. That sh*t removes paint.

#5043 5 years ago

I have a new machine coming. Will the service bulletin corrections already be taken care of on it?

#5044 5 years ago

I have a new game coming. Is the factory correcting the service bulletin fixes before shipping?

#5045 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I have a new game coming. Is the factory correcting the service bulletin fixes before shipping?

Depends on the bulletin and the date the game was built. Games don't always ship in the order they are made, both from the factory and from a distributor, sometimes a machine can get shoved into the back of a warehouse and you end up with last, first out, vs first in first out. Was with a distributor the other day who was shipping out two games to customers, but had an older machine in his warehouse, just easier to take what is in front then shuffle them all around.

Always good to double check it, it and also make sure it is on current code. At a minimum look at build date and compare that to bulletins.

#5046 5 years ago

Thanks. ^^^ Where do I find the bulletins? I have only seen the skill shot bulletin.

#5047 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Thanks. ^^^ Where do I find the bulletins? I have only seen the skill shot bulletin.

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/

#5048 5 years ago

Im watching my AC power in my gameroom since I got the little plug in voltmeter off Amazon.

It ranges from 116v in the afternoons to 120v after about 8:30 PM.

The power company guarantees power to be between 110v and 125v

When the voltage is at 116, all of my games play like crap because they were adjusted in their settings to play good at 120v.

When the power is at 121v or higher the games play amazingly well !

On low power sessions, other than adjust the settings I just practice modes or techniques when this happens.

Unfortunately during the summer (now), over the days that the temperature is 100+ degrees low power happens daily. For days on end.

I imagine I can get the Variacs, set them to 115v, readjust all of my games to play well at that voltage and solve this?

What voltage is the Houdini tested at in the lab? 110v? 117v 120v?

Im thinking I want to stabilize the game power in my gameroom to make them play consistently good

Will the mentioned somewhat available daughterboard stabilize the power draw 10 110v? 115v? This would be good as my power almost never goes below 115v.

I would like to get more info on this. Im perfectly willing to get the Variacs if its a permanent solution.

Thanks!

#5049 5 years ago

Im watching my AC power in my gameroom since I got the little plug in voltmeter off Amazon.
It ranges from 116v in the afternoons to 120v after about 8:30 PM.
The power company guarantees power to be between 110v and 125v
When the voltage is at 116, all of my games play like crap because they were adjusted in their settings to play good at 120v.
When the power is at 121v or higher the games play amazingly well !
On low power sessions, other than adjust the settings I just practice modes or techniques when this happens.
Unfortunately during the summer (now), over the days that the temperature is 100+ degrees low power happens daily. For days on end.
I imagine I can get the Variacs, set them to 115v, readjust all of my games to play well at that voltage and solve this?
What voltage is the Houdini tested at in the lab? 110v? 117v 120v?
Im thinking I want to stabilize the game power in my gameroom to make them play consistently good
Will the mentioned somewhat available daughterboard stabilize the power draw 10 110v? 115v? This would be good as my power almost never goes below 115v.
I would like to get more info on this. Im perfectly willing to get the Variacs if its a permanent solution.
Thanks!

Why not just get a line conditioner that will maintain a solid 120v output? They're not that expensive...

https://www.tripplite.com/products/power-conditioners~23

#5050 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Why not just get a line conditioner that will maintain a solid 120v output? They're not that expensive...
https://www.tripplite.com/products/power-conditioners~23

Those are nice. Any recommendations on which to buy?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/101?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.