Topic Stats

• 9,477 posts
  • 549 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 minutes ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 145 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,293 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
20190820_202241 (resized).jpg
20190820_202141 (resized).jpg
20190820_202203 (resized).jpg
20190820_215958 (resized).jpg
DA11DAC5-DB21-422A-927B-25CB029731CE (resized).jpeg
A180D515-A4B6-4430-A10E-2AA29E5C2A90 (resized).jpeg
4A525FA5-9F12-47C3-A3B7-97D4D986C6D1 (resized).jpeg
Houdini Haldane (resized).jpg
IMG_20190810_190510 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpeg
20190811_163439 (resized).jpg
20190811_163454 (resized).jpg
20190811_163143 (resized).jpg
20190811_163137 (resized).jpg
20190811_163030 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 9477 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 190.
#4951 1 year ago

Rosh, I compliment you and American on still being present in this thread even during vacation! Hope you are enjoying it! Well deserved! Can't wait for new code.

#4952 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The game is just hard - the outlanes are tough AND a lot of brick shots just go SDTM. I have mine set to 5 balls which -Also- hasn’t helped much. And I’ve set the modes to 60 seconds. IMO that should be the default - just getting control of the ball sometimes takes 20 seconds, then if you don’t nail the shot immediately you are sunk.
I’m not THAT bad of a player but getting to any of the mini modes just feels impossible right now. It’s so hard to be precise. ...

I have mine set to 5 balls, outlanes on narrowest setting, and modes set to 60 secs too. The game can still be VERY challenging, but is a lot of fun overall for me.

#4953 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I have mine set to 5 balls, outlanes on narrowest setting, and modes set to 60 secs too. The game is still VERY challenging, but a lot of fun overall for me.

Im still on 3 balls. I am firm believer that all Houdini's on location should be 5 balls.

#4954 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Im still on 3 balls. I am firm believer that all Houdini's on location should be 5 balls.

There are enough ball saves coded in now that 3 balls works fine for location. People still are coming back to play it at $1/pop.

#4955 1 year ago

I have mine set to 5 balls, outlanes on narrowest setting, and modes set to 60 secs too. The game can still be VERY challenging, but is a lot of fun overall for me.

The left outlane drains SO often on so many things I am going to tighten it a little bit - I still have it set to the middle position.

Do you guys think there is a high amount of spin on the balls in this game? I am not sure if I just notice it more in Houdini or if it’s just an effect of the geometry. The game still pisses me off at times but I keep coming back for more. I am considering taking the back legs down a bit (I have it set to a higher slope than AP recommended), but I doubt I will actually do it. Just want to get a bit farther and actually complete a mode without draining! Haha

#4956 1 year ago

Hay,Rdoyle,I had my legs set a tad high as well,and looking at the set up sheet,it says all feet should be down!! I did this and have more control over the ball! Still only score between 250,000 to about 525,000! My highest is 725,450! But i come back for more punishment

#4957 1 year ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hay,Rdoyle,I had my legs set a tad high as well,and looking at the set up sheet,it says all feet should be down!! I did this and have more control over the ball! Still only score between 250,000 to about 525,000! My highest is 725,450! But i come back for more punishment

You are right! I had it set that way originally, but felt it was a little too floaty. But Josh has consistently said that Joe Balcer likes the game to be slightly slower, and you have to believe that’s for a reason. The perfect intended slope is with legs screwed in all the way

#4958 1 year ago

I don't go by leg position (mine aren't all the way down) - I go by the slope on my digital level and it currently indicates 6.1 degrees. This slope has resulted in better feeling gameplay than the 6.5+ degrees I originally set the game up at.

#4959 1 year ago

Does anyone know where i can find the vid of that crazy cool Houdini themed jail type room / space that an owner made ? i watched it a while back and can't seem to find it again anywhere, any help would be appreciated. Cheers. americanpinball

#4960 1 year ago
Quoted from Shinemyballz:

Does anyone know where i can find the vid of that crazy cool Houdini themed jail type room / space that an owner made ?

was on Nitros Facebook page

#4961 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

was on Nitros Facebook page

Cheers !

#4962 1 year ago
Quoted from Jeffreyjonesbsme:

I have a valuable machine for trade and have an offer to trade for a Houdini.
I have done zero research as of right now.
My wife is my pinball buddy and I've seen her get so frustrated with some games, she stops playing them completely.
Is Houdini SO hard that a casual player won't have fun?

There is a LOT to like about Houdini, and while it is very challenging, all of my guests (who are are not pinball experts) have enjoyed playing it. It's a beautiful machine and has a great feel to it. On the other hand, it's the most negative pinball machine I've ever owned or played. It's constantly insulting you, booing you, and telling you how bad you are. That gets VERY old, and there's no way to turn it off. My daughter refers to Houdini as "the mean pinball machine." Also, I think AP must have gotten the same guy who does the voice for the Progressive Insurance Box commercials, so keep that in mind.

#4963 1 year ago
Quoted from Videogod:

There is a LOT to like about Houdini, and while it is very challenging, all of my guests (who are are not pinball experts) have enjoyed playing it. It's a beautiful machine and has a great feel to it. On the other hand, it's the most negative pinball machine I've ever owned or played. It's constantly insulting you, booing you, and telling you how bad you are. That gets VERY old, and there's no way to turn it off. My daughter refers to Houdini as "the mean pinball machine." Also, I think AP must have gotten the same guy who does the voice for the Progressive Insurance Box commercials, so keep that in mind.

Yeah, I've asked Josh a few times about balancing the negative calls with some positive ones and/or playing the negative ones less. Maybe have a setting in the system menu for "ATTITUDE - Negative/Neutral/Positive" and have the machine adjust type and frequency of callouts accordingly.

#4964 1 year ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Since a setting was added to give more time per mode I can get one or two modes (Illusion) completed and maybe the first combo and if I’m on fire perhaps a movie. I’m an average player.
I think I’m really going to have to dial down the difficulty level to have hope of reaching any mini wizard mode.

I completed all the modes in my best game to date (1.7+ Million). I thought something would happen but it just rolled over and started all the modes again...I need to read the ruleset again. I thought the mini wizard mode started after that.

#4965 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Yeah, I've asked Josh a few times about balancing the negative calls with some positive ones and/or playing the negative ones less. Maybe have a setting in the system menu for "ATTITUDE - Negative/Neutral/Positive" and have the machine adjust type and frequency of callouts accordingly.

Although the call outs don’t really bother me all that much, I do think the zingers would be a lot more effective if they were only so often - “wow, you really stink” only every day, 10 times instead of EVERY TIME I played the machine tonight!

#4966 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I completed all the modes in my best game to date (1.7+ Million). I thought something would happen but it just rolled over and started all the modes again...I need to read the ruleset again. I thought the mini wizard mode stared from that.

I believe that’s the one that is not yet implemented . You get mini wizard modes from completing the FILM modes and Combo challenges

#4967 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Although the call outs don’t really bother me all that much, I do think the zingers would be a lot more effective if they were only so often - “wow, you really stink” only every day, 10 times instead of EVERY TIME I played the machine tonight!

or maybe .... play better.

#4968 1 year ago

I'm not having too rough of a time with Houdini, and my wife seems to be able to keep up. I do like the 3 ball game since there are lots of opportunities for extra balls. Last night I was at 1M on my first ball but had to cut the game short. The hardest shot for me to make on demand is the milk can, and I typically just take my first game to practice that shot.

#4969 1 year ago

I don't go by leg position (mine aren't all the way down) - I go by the slope on my digital level and it currently indicates 6.1 degrees. This slope has resulted in better feeling gameplay than the 6.5+ degrees I originally set the game up at.

I will agree that all the way in on the levelers is how it is designed. Everyone has there own preference on how fast they want it to play. Its funny but the half dozen shows I have done this year, i set them up with about 1 1/4 inches of threads showing on the rear legs. I like my games a little steep.

Come out and try a Houdini Aug. 9,10,11 at the Indiana pinball show in Ft. Wayne.
Yes show pricing on games will be available.

Pincades
JT

#4970 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

D'oh!!

#4971 1 year ago

Does any retailer stock cliffy protectors other than Cliffy himself? I emailed him and he is way backed up. I would like to get a set sooner if possible.

Thanks!

#4972 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

That does probably make sense for a location game, it never bothers me but I am the youngest of 8 so I heard a lot of those kinds of things every day growing up so it never bothers me. I like the call-outs when you hit jackpots in Straight Jacket and Trunk MB, especially when you do well enough to get the "HOLY ****!", cracks me up every time.

#4973 1 year ago

Ah - if it was only that simple eh? More like play perfectly in the case of Houdini currently.

#4974 1 year ago

I never had an issue with the negative call outs. For me that was part of the fun/humor of the game. I'm actually surprised with how many people that it bothers.

#4975 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

I never had an issue with the negative call outs. For me that was part of the fun/humor of the game. I'm actually surprised with how many people that it bothers.

The audience boooing at failed modes makes me laugh.

#4976 1 year ago

Reminds me of every song I ever played on guitar hero.

#4977 1 year ago

Made me laugh too...the first 10 times. I think it's the shear quantity of negative callouts that's the problem. I also don't get the logic of doing a "you really stink" when the ball drains out the side.

#4978 1 year ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Made me laugh too...the first 10 times. I think it's the shear quantity of negative callouts that's the problem. I also don't get the logic of doing a "you really stink" when the ball drains out the side.

Yeah, most of us get enough criticism day to day without adding this.

I like Elvira's "Oh Poo!" on Scared Stiff

#4979 1 year ago

Every pin can get repetitive if you play it enough. Not really a big deal in my mind. I’m sure they will tweak things as the software develops. Maybe add new call outs etc...I’m excited to see what the new code brings to the table.

#4980 1 year ago

I think the negative call outs are accurate to the time period of Houdini, to be successful as an entertainer you had to master the art of self promotion and come up with amazing schemes to draw people in" never attempted before!! etc etc" . if people plunked down their hard earned money it was a given they would be skeptical and if you disappointed they would not hesitate to let you know. just like the call outs!

#4981 1 year ago

The next release will be a litttle less insulting on skill shot misses. You won’t hear one on your first miss and if you make a skill shot you won’t hear a skill shot miss insult during your game.

If you drain the ball during the ball save window and are getting the ball back, the insult is the price you pay. You can always shorten up ball save timers to be insulted less. . I’ll take s look at some other adjustments.

While some stage modes are difficult to finish, some you should be able to complete on a regular basis, such as Walk through Walls and water torture.

Needles is easy, I go for pops early and then spinner, pops can ring up a lot of hits but also can get some standup hits to increase switch value and of course spinner can then ring up points and extend the timer.

Card king, while not a pattern per se, it is not overly difficult to get the timing down, even though the hoops move faster after each hit.

Bullet catch and metamorphosis have s very hard shot to start, but are pretty reasonable after that.

Finishing milkcan is extremely difficult, but even completing two steps can be incredibly valuable both in points and advancing playfield multiplier— it is a great stack with seance since seance will helpngwt that ball through the milkcan.

None of the movie modes are very difficult, since they are primarily focused on orbits and the ramp, with master mystery being the most challenging. Yes a scoop shot is needed on one and another requires bashing the stage, but no milkcan or trunk shots are needed in any movie mode.

Most important of all are the magic standups, which will advance you one step in each mode. Use them strategically to help with the shots you struggle with most.

#4982 1 year ago

Boo Meme (resized).jpg
#4983 1 year ago

Did someone call me?

67EC6E42-8406-40FC-8DF5-F40AF5ED5BD9 (resized).jpeg
#4984 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

It just gets old because it's over-used.

#4985 1 year ago
Quoted from Jeffreyjonesbsme:

My wife is my pinball buddy and I've seen her get so frustrated with some games, she stops playing them completely.
Is Houdini SO hard that a casual player won't have fun?

I hated Ghostbusters so that was my measuring stick for whether a hard game would be enjoyable. I was expecting that I might hate it like I hated GB. But I love Houdini and I loved it from the first time I played it on location. I spent hours and hours trying to like Ghostbusters but it felt unfair and brutal. Houdini is hard but a freaking great time.

I am definitely an average, casual player. I had a friend over to play who hadn't played pinball in like 30 years. He loved it and scored 500,000 on his first game! Beginners luck I think. It goes to show that you can have some short games but you're also going to have EPIC game play experiences as well. It's not unusual for me to have a 15-20 game. Houdini teaches you to be a better player.

#4986 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

The next release will be a litttle less insulting on skill shot misses. You won’t hear one on your first miss and if you make a skill shot you won’t hear a skill shot miss insult during your game.
If you drain the ball during the ball save window and are getting the ball back, the insult is the price you pay. You can always shorten up ball save timers to be insulted less. . I’ll take s look at some other adjustments.
While some stage modes are difficult to finish, some you should be able to complete on a regular basis, such as Walk through Walls and water torture.
Needles is easy, I go for pops early and then spinner, pops can ring up a lot of hits but also can get some standup hits to increase switch value and of course spinner can then ring up points and extend the timer.
Card king, while not a pattern per se, it is not overly difficult to get the timing down, even though the hoops move faster after each hit.
Bullet catch and metamorphosis have s very hard shot to start, but are pretty reasonable after that.
Finishing milkcan is extremely difficult, but even completing two steps can be incredibly valuable both in points and advancing playfield multiplier— it is a great stack with seance since seance will helpngwt that ball through the milkcan.
None of the movie modes are very difficult, since they are primarily focused on orbits and the ramp, with master mystery being the most challenging. Yes a scoop shot is needed on one and another requires bashing the stage, but no milkcan or trunk shots are needed in any movie mode.
Most important of all are the magic standups, which will advance you one step in each mode. Use them strategically to help with the shots you struggle with most.

These are really good tips! Thank you

#4987 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just want to get a bit farther and actually complete a mode without draining!

Now with the Player's Choice, I try to select the easiest mode for me to complete. I try to get these modes going first. If I can start a stage mode with the 2X Theater Scoring then all the better. I try to get these modes started first to get a good score going quickly.

Walk through Walls
Straight Jacket Multiball
Indian Needle Trick

These tips are from the Tilt Forums Houdini Rule Sheet.

SUGGESTED HOME SETTINGS
If you would like a more approachable game for the family and for new to intermediate players try these settings. This configuration allows the player to start a mode by bashing the theater just one time. You also get more time to complete a mode before the mode times out and the crowd “boos” at you. When the jail escape order is from “easy to hard”, it forces you to complete the cities in order.

Stage Difficulty: Easy
Stage Mode Timer from 45 to 60 seconds
King of Cards from 40 to 60 seconds
Jail Escapes Order: Easy to Hard
Jail Escapes Difficulty: Easy

TIPS
You may elect to start each stage mode by shooting through the Stage Alley lane. A well-placed shot will start the stage mode at 2X.

#4988 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I completed all the modes in my best game to date (1.7+ Million). I thought something would happen but it just rolled over and started all the modes again...I need to read the ruleset again. I thought the mini wizard mode started after that.

Congratulations! I've not close to that yet. Yes, you are right. You only earn a Houdini letter by completing the stage modes. The other 3 areas (film, escapes and secret missions) each have a mini mode.

#4989 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I don’t have a mini-wizard mode planned for that, but there should at least be a nice reward. I’m going to add a bonus if you complete them, I should say start all of the stage modes, but the bonus will certainly incorporate if you’ve completed them (where there is a true completion) some kind of a multiplier against the points you’ve earned type of a thing, so you have a nice reward if you get through all 10 and I’ll see if I can get that in for next weeks release, if not it will be in a follow up release.

#4990 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

How about throwing in a callout of one of the assistants exclaiming something like: "Ooooo ... you're so masterful!" too?

You know ... just to help offset all the ego deflating negative comments a little.

#4991 1 year ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Now with the Player's Choice, I try to select the easiest mode for me to complete. I try to get these modes going first. If I can start a stage mode with the 2X Theater Scoring then all the better. I try to get these modes started first to get a good score going quickly.
Walk through Walls
Straight Jacket Multiball
Indian Needle Trick
These tips are from the Tilt Forums Houdini Rule Sheet.
SUGGESTED HOME SETTINGS
If you would like a more approachable game for the family and for new to intermediate players try these settings. This configuration allows the player to start a mode by bashing the theater just one time. You also get more time to complete a mode before the mode times out and the crowd “boos” at you. When the jail escape order is from “easy to hard”, it forces you to complete the cities in order.
Stage Difficulty: Easy
Stage Mode Timer from 45 to 60 seconds
King of Cards from 40 to 60 seconds
Jail Escapes Order: Easy to Hard
Jail Escapes Difficulty: Easy
TIPS
You may elect to start each stage mode by shooting through the Stage Alley lane. A well-placed shot will start the stage mode at 2X.

You posted this a couple pages ago right? (Or at least I saw them). Yeah this is how it’s alreasy set up .. lol I just need more time to practice

#4992 1 year ago

Rosh ;
Are you not supposed to be on holidays ?

#4993 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Rosh ;
Are you not supposed to be on holidays ?

We are in Carmel right now on way up to CAX, and tons of cute shops that my wife and daughter browse through, so I spend part of my time on benches outside resting my bad back.

#4994 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

We are in Carmel right now on way up to CAX, and tons of cute shops that my wife and daughter browse through, so I spend part of my time on benches outside resting my bad back.

Two or three spectacular Mediterranean restaurants in town. Do a little research and make a reservation for dinner.

#4995 1 year ago

Two or three spectacular Mediterranean restaurants in town. Do a little research and make a reservation for dinner.

We head out of here shortly but did eat Mediterranean last night that was quite good, don’t recall the name of the place. We did not make a reservation so it was a 45 minute wait, but was pleasant to just wander around until they called us that our table was ready. We finished up our meal around 10, and there was not an empty table in the place and people were waiting for a table.

#4996 1 year ago

Theres a great shop in Carmel. The tin toy, or Tin soldier. They sell miniature figures and chess sets. Soldier regiments and what not. Awesome store.

#4997 1 year ago

It always sounds like I get boo’d even when I complete a stage mode.

The cheering is not clear enough.

#4998 1 year ago
Quoted from pinden007:

...The cheering is not clear enough.

Imagine if Pinside existed when FunHouse was introduced. Megabytes of complaints about that obnoxious Rudy. ( - :

#4999 1 year ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Imagine if Pinside existed when FunHouse was introduced. Megabytes of complaints about that obnoxious Rudy. ( - :

Conversely, imagine if the means existed for Williams to willingly receive constructive criticism (as well as praise) before Funhouse was totally finished. It would likely be an even better game than it already is.

#5000 1 year ago

Conversely, imagine if the means existed for Williams to willingly receive constructive criticism (as well as praise) before Funhouse was totally finished. It would likely be an even better game than it already is.

Extend that to changing your spouse's DNA in hindsight (always 20/20 right?) to knock off those few rough behavior edges. ( - :

Some things are best just as they were conceived. Funhouse isn't an exemplary example of this!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 399.95
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Machine - For Sale
Bristol, TN
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
There are 9477 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 190.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside