Topic Stats

• 8,871 posts
  • 534 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by finnflash
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,205 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190417_204330 (resized).jpg
20190415_210345 (resized).jpg
20190414_123824 (resized).jpg
BC7F7E2B-BF1A-4D00-8C90-D2CDD892C1D4 (resized).jpeg
2013-07-16_065304 (resized).jpg
20190410_175310 (resized).jpg
3A370047-C0F5-426E-92DB-6BBA6E18D874 (resized).jpeg
4E1882B6-293A-470C-BECB-2CFF190573D2 (resized).jpeg
3C6B81AC-AB81-4F56-B574-F3C6002C5899 (resized).jpeg
210CC7CC-767F-4938-982C-0CF1F6F1CB05 (resized).jpeg
5E54AE44-916A-42D7-8CEE-5B95FBB3C46E (resized).jpeg
B0B85229-FB2A-42AA-89A2-6C62C2F0057C (resized).jpeg
Houdini Release Notes Verison 19.4.7.pdf (PDF preview)
1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
20190406_171702 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 8871 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 178.
#451 1 year ago

100% agree that it crushes DI

#452 1 year ago

I am happy to hear that there is no pro of premium or LE or other crap.
Just one game for a good price.

#453 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

100% agree that it crushes DI

Have you played either?

#454 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Have you played either?

Nope, don't need to. On theme alone I just can't take DI. It's hard to think of something worse other than Muppets and a few others talked about as potential future JJP pins.

And I've seen enough gameplay streaming of DI to know it can't overcome the theme for me. But i get why others might like it, i went into it thinking Lawlor/JJP would be a no brainer.

I'd play and have fun with any pin, owning it is another story.

#455 1 year ago

I was impressed by Houdini from what I could see yesterday. Not wanting to stand in line just admired the effort from a few feet away. Looks like a solid first effort and I cant wait to get under the hood.

#456 1 year ago

Wow, not sure how anybody could judge a game without playing it(and playing it more than once or twice)? Houdini was fantastic! Has such a great feel to it already. I can't wait to see the finished product and can basically guarantee it'll be our first game of 2018(as long as it's being produced then).

(as far as DI goes... absolutely loved that game too! The theme is actually pretty awesome IMHO in that it captures today's pop-tech world nicely. )

#457 1 year ago

I love the challenge of the tight shots on the game. I also admire how Rosh has researched the history of Houdini to implement it into the code.

Not sure if it's their own mechanism, but the ball catapult seemed very good. I never saw it miss a shot.

#458 1 year ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Wow, not sure how anybody could judge a game without playing it(and playing it more than once or twice)? Houdini was fantastic! Has such a great feel to it already. I can't wait to see the finished product and can basically guarantee it'll be our first game of 2018(as long as it's being produced then).
(as far as DI goes... absolutely loved that game too! The theme is actually pretty awesome IMHO in that it captures today's pop-tech world nicely. )

Yep Houdini is gonna be a pretty good pin once it gets the bugs worked out .......but man di is a very awesome playing pin with so much going on and was a huge hit with everyone i talked to and theme is pretty awesome once u understand it. The light shows and the lcd animations are really good and game still has lots of code to go from what i understand.

#459 1 year ago

My two balls didn't last long but I did make the catapult shot which was cool.

#460 1 year ago
Quoted from JeffF:

You nailed it. Judging a game by looks. That's some funny shit. I played all three games this weekend. Aliens, Houdini and Dialed In. I played each about 15 times. By far, this is my order based on playability, looks, theme, etc..

Dialed In - first
Houdini - second
Aliens - third

I asked atleaset 10 people at Allentown and that's there order as well.

#461 1 year ago

Posted this in the Allentown thread but wanted to post here as well.

What a great and exhausting show
want to thank all of you who came by to play Houdini. I know the line was often long, but I think most found it was well worth the wait. And clearly some of you did since you kept coming back to wait and play it again and again.

It has been a lot of work to get it to this point and seeing people's expressions when seeing the catapult throw the ball close to two feet in the air into the trunk or playing straitjacket multi-ball with both reversed and inverted flippers was quite rewarding. Joe balcer thought I was insane when I came up with reverse and inverted, but seems those "brave" enough to try it have really enjoyed it.

The grand champion score was set four times, the last time being the third to last game of the show, which was a great way to finish.

Was really impressed with a couple young kids who had skills better than 90% of the adults. One made four straight shots to the inner loop that some say is "too tight".

I want to thank Joe Newhart and the team from pinballStar. They did an amazing job in hosting us and did everything they could to make it a great show for Houdini -- well except for killing the power before I could pull off the final audiits, but I'll get them at some point. The last time I had looked the catapult throw was succcesful 94% of the time and there was around 450 games played (was set to two ball play play to help keep the line moving).

Was great meeting so many if you and thanks again for playing.

Rosh

#462 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Nope, don't need to [play].

And this is why everyone should just ignore everything you say, ever.

#463 1 year ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Why? I agree with Ice, I'll play DI on location but that theme has killed any chance of me ever owning the pin, I don't care how it plays, WOZ is the same thing for me. Why is it so hard to understand? I wonder how many pinsiders would buy a Morbid Angel pin, with satanic imagery and death metal music because it had great code, a good layout and flipped well? oh how the tides would turn then, I think Stern should make one just to prove my point, I'll take a Domination LE please.

#464 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Why? I agree with Ice, I'll play DI on location but that theme has killed any chance of me ever owning the pin, I don't care how it plays, WOZ is the same thing for me. Why is it so hard to understand? I wonder how many pinsiders would buy a Morbid Angel pin, with satanic imagery and death metal music because it had great code, a good layout and flipped well? oh how the tides would turn then, I think Stern should make one just to prove my point, I'll take a Domination LE please.
» YouTube video

I think many would understand theme being an issue, and respected, as per your example.
Dialed in seems so neutral, sometimes in chatting with others its been, "its not that I dont like it, its more
its a theme that gives me no connection or joy. After so many conversations, its more an "I dont like" then an "I hate".

With Houdini, I have heard some say the Cabinet shape, causes pause.
For me, even if the game was average, Houdini is a theme that resonates with me, along with the Wisdom Rosh brings.
Im excited to see all that comes forward, because there is a subtle untapped brilliance in his thought, that translates
to a damn fun set of rules in a game. He "thinks" the way players do, and has vision to bring some really great ideas to pinball.

Adding Joe, a person who "Gets it done", means to me that over the next few months as this comes together, something quite unique and special in Pinball.

My hopes and belief, for a home run at their first at bat, as the Principles and staff are shaping up to be top notch in every way.

Excited for the future for all Pinheads!

#465 1 year ago
Quoted from jwilson:

DI also has some of the ugliest art I've ever seen

At least they fixed the back box side art

I actually like the shape of the backbox on Houdini

#466 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

With Houdini, I have heard some say the Cabinet shape, causes pause.

I like the cabinet, Houdini is on my radar for sure, I could see buying one down the line, that possible pesky SW pin has me waiting on everything right now, even Alien could take a back seat if its not shipping in decent order by the time I could pick up a SW Pre. Time will tell, but Houdini beats the shit out of DI in terms of theme.

#467 1 year ago

Played both hard...di is great flowing and surprisingly very fun for the theme.

Houdini is extremly impressive. Its theme and at 2k less than di, makes me lean towards houdini.

Plus having Dhaval, Joe, and the team there answering questions/showing support was an added plus.

#468 1 year ago

Where do I sign up for the Morbid Angel pin?

#469 1 year ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Where do I sign up for the Morbid Angel pin?

I'm thinking RZ and Met are about as heavy as it will get which sucks.

#470 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Why? I agree with Ice, I'll play DI on location but that theme has killed any chance of me ever owning the pin, I don't care how it plays, WOZ is the same thing for me. Why is it so hard to understand?

It's not hard to understand - it's just close minded.

Second, the discussion from Ice wasn't about 'owning' the pin, but just dismissing it entirely. Is 'owning' the pin the only metric that matters in determining if a pin is considered favorable or not? There are plenty of pins I love that I would never own... simply because owning requires some practical considerations of space, cost, etc.. and the reality that you can't own them all so you are pitting games against each other.

I had no interest in DI at the reveal... but I still queued up multiple times at Allentown to try it out and gather my own impression of the game. The story/theme didn't do anything for me... but I still found the game very interesting to try and explore. It's going to take some time to dive into it further.. and feel out if its actually fun and engaging.

That is unless you only buy pins to be furniture... then yes, please make your final decisions now based on some photos and the theme.

Quoted from Hazoff:

I wonder how many pinsiders would buy a Morbid Angel pin, with satanic imagery and death metal music because it had great code, a good layout and flipped well?

So you equate something that someone might not find 'interesting' to something that someone might find OFFENSIVE? Care to stretch any further Mr. Armstrong?

#471 1 year ago

Who's the California distro?

#472 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'd play and have fun with any pin, owning it is another story.

I'd consider owning a Houdini depending on how it turns out with the changes they are discussing.

My mind is shut on DI. Case closed.

Too many other options out there to be stuck with that. I don't know Hazoff, its hard for some people to understand that theme matters.

Will never get into some dorky phone dude with high riser pants. Sim city, blah yuck.

#473 1 year ago

But be fair Ice, Part of the main reason you railed and dont like DI, is the business model used by JJP, in "Limited Editions".
....and for many, Im sure they will agree.

At least here with Houdini, one Game....no BS. That makes me happy!

#474 1 year ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

I get the burn, but some of us have "Z" in our initials!

Yes we do!

#475 1 year ago
Quoted from burningman:

Played both hard...di is great flowing and surprisingly very fun for the theme.
Houdini is extremly impressive. Its theme and at 2k less than di, makes me lean towards houdini.
Plus having Dhaval, Joe, and the team there answering questions/showing support was an added plus.

Actually if u get a standard dialed in and pick it up from the factory (since we are close) its only gonna be 300- 400 more than a Houdini shipped .

#476 1 year ago

I haven't played DI yet but regardless of how good it is I agree it's a game I could never buy due to theme.

Houdini I'm very interested in. Like everything about it including the backbox shape.

#477 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

The last time I had looked the catapult throw was succcesful 94% of the time and there was around 450 games played (was set to two ball play play to help keep the line moving).

With that throw, hopefully it won't break anything if it misses the chest. Excited to hear about the rules Rosh!

#478 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Actually if u get a standard dialed in and pick it up from the factory (since we are close) its only gonna be 300- 400 more than a Houdini shipped .

How do you figure that? $700 shipping? So a DI LE is $9700 shipped.

What about versus an AS pro?

#479 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So you equate something that someone might not find 'interesting' to something that someone might find OFFENSIVE? Care to stretch any further Mr. Armstrong?

Not really because the whole post is foolish and yeah I'm offended by DI as much as you would be offended by Morbid Angel and you would be, I've given many pins a chance that really didn't interest me in the theme department but some themes are right offs from the start, WOZ and DI fall into that category, stretched out enough? you are right in one aspect, yep I'm close minded alright, everyone is at some point, even you.

#480 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Posted this in the Allentown thread but wanted to post here as well.
What a great and exhausting show
want to thank all of you who came by to play Houdini. I know the line was often long, but I think most found it was well worth the wait. And clearly some of you did since you kept coming back to wait and play it again and again.
It has been a lot of work to get it to this point and seeing people's expressions when seeing the catapult throw the ball close to two feet in the air into the trunk or playing straitjacket multi-ball with both reversed and inverted flippers was quite rewarding. Joe balcer thought I was insane when I came up with reverse and inverted, but seems those "brave" enough to try it have really enjoyed it.
The grand champion score was set four times, the last time being the third to last game of the show, which was a great way to finish.
Was really impressed with a couple young kids who had skills better than 90% of the adults. One made four straight shots to the inner loop that some say is "too tight".
I want to thank Joe Newhart and the team from pinballStar. They did an amazing job in hosting us and did everything they could to make it a great show for Houdini -- well except for killing the power before I could pull off the final audiits, but I'll get them at some point. The last time I had looked the catapult throw was succcesful 94% of the time and there was around 450 games played (was set to two ball play play to help keep the line moving).
Was great meeting so many if you and thanks again for playing.
Rosh

I didn't have a GC score but did keep ball 1 in play for 7 minutes. Quite proud of myself. That inner loop shot is almost impossible. However that said my vote is absolutely to keep it. You don't want too easy a pin. And just because I can't shoot straight is no reason to widen it. Keep some challenges on the playfield, just don't make earlier modes depend on making that shot.

#481 1 year ago

DI is going on the line now, Houdini is not shipping until at least the end of the year, by that time JJP will have announced their next machine. So it's not really a question of DI vs Houdini.

#482 1 year ago

Just landed back in the Windy City and were told 40 minutes until our gate is ready, the joy of travel.

As far as the right inner loop, I've pulled some data from the logs I was able to pull off before the machines was pre-maturely shut down, so I do have a pretty good chunk of Saturday's data. Tomorrow I will pull some numbers as best I can on the different shots and we can see how tough it really is. Keep in mind data on some shots is not as clean on others given things like falls backs on ramps, vuks, bounces on switches, and cleaning that is not worth the effort, but data in inner loop (getting past the bend) and standups is pretty clean, so be interesting to see, betting the numbers will be surprising to those who think it is so tough. Like I said before I saw a 10 year old make it four times in a row, I then told him he needed to re-light the lock, watched as he made perfect passes between flippers to then relilight and then made inner loop on next try, and immediately repeated that and got trunk multiball. Blew my mind. His dad was damn good too, and although his dad had a higher score the kid had a longer game. So, just saying.

Was also fun watching one guy's wife/girlfriend also get trunk multiball when he had a sub one minute game. Sounded like his whole day was goInc that way.

I did check catapult performance before shutdown and 93% of the time it was a successful throw into the trunk, which I'm pretty pleased with.

As far as blades, TBD, but we will be looking at that soon.

Again, thanks for all the play, suggestions and feedback, very helpful for me to see you guys play and to hear your thoughts and ideas. I got a lot of new ideas over the weekend, just wish I did not leave my notes in the hotel room , but I'll remember most of it.

Looks like they found us a gate earlier than expected.

#483 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well im getting a le under 9k and have no shipping......so i figured a standard will be under 8k and if u go to factory and pick it up you can have one for 7700-8k and a Houdini shipped will be around 7400 . That's how i got that sir.......

#484 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

O and di blows away aero pro by a fair amount imo. Its a ok game for the price but nothing special . Just a typical run of the mill stern pin which isnt a bad thing but feels no different than any others ive owned or own.

#485 1 year ago

Loved Houdini and cant wait to see where it goes from here . I had a 7 min game on it starting lots modes and a few mb. Ill be looking early next year once it starts shipping.

#486 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

O and di blows away aero pro by a fair amount imo. Its a ok game for the price but nothing special

You got it reversed sir. AS blows away DI by a fair amount imo. So they are already discounting DI? To what? What is it, $7700 now or $8000 for a "standard"". Or an LE? Different pricing for different folks? I thought it was $8k and $9k firm?

I love how you JJP fanboys get all defensive in threads that really haven't nothing to do with DI.

At least they are actually finally getting ready to ship the pin despite claims by Jack that they would be more Stern like in their releases.

Announce a pin and start shipping it 8 months later isn't going to get it done.

#487 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You got it reversed sir. So they are already discounting DI? To what? What is it, $7700 now or $8000 for a "standard""
I love how you JJP fanboys get all defensive in threads that really haven't nothing to do with DI.
At least they are actually finally getting ready to ship the pin despite claims by Jack that they would be more Stern like in their releases.
Announce a pin and start shipping it 8 months later isn't going to get it done.

Nope if u call around u can get better deals.... ordered right as it was announced after expo and getting a nice price (y not 250 refundable deposit)Also awesome i can pick it up and save on shipping ...plus i get a tour of factory. Definitely not a jjp fan boy as ive never owned one and have had many sterns. Its just a really great playing pin with a ton of features that i believe is worth my hard earned loot compared to other pins out there. Houdini is also up there and will get my money if they keep up the great work. These 2 pins are just steps above everything else at the moment imo. I actually play pins before passing judgement on the theme and look alone bc well thats what they are for. Not sure what u have against jjp but get over it. Its just pinball.

#488 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I actually play pins before passing judgement on the theme and look alone bc well thats what they are for. Not sure what u have against jjp but get over it. Its just pinball.

I agree with you, and i actually own a Woz JJP pin. It doesn't bother me if other people think it sucks, I do too sometimes. Pinball is fun! I hope you enjoy your DI.

Other than the lies and misrepresentations by Jack over the years, because I have a Woz and had a fully paid TH for 2 years until i finally had enough, I still sat there, glued to the laptop watching the JJP expo reveal, with $$$ in hand waiting for the next great Lawlor pin.

I stated my enthusiasm many times pre expo announcement. It might end up being a great playing pin, like some others believe its a flop of a disappointment theme wise because theme actually matters to me.

If JJP makes a great theme i like, I'm all in. And it will have absolutely ZERO to do with "build quality".

DI buyers shouldn't have to feel like they have to bash Stern pins to justify their purchase, if you like it you like it.

And i seriously doubt it can stand the test of time like an Ac/dc premium pin that seems to go up in value years later with thousands more produced than Woz and TH combined, while those pins keeping dropping in price as people sell to buy the new stuff. I guess we will see in a couple of years.

#489 1 year ago
Quoted from rosh:

Was also fun watching one guy's wife/girlfriend also get trunk multiball when he had a sub one minute game. Sounded like his whole day was goInc that way.

Hmmmm... that could probably be a bunch of different couples but if it was this one...

[picture deleted]

He ended up putting a deposit down on Houdini based of what she said. They own an arcade and it's a well known fact that he can't play worth a damn but usually buys whatever she thinks is fun and arcade worthy.

BTW, I think she got the 3rd or 4th best score on Saturday(as of 2 or 3pm).

#490 1 year ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Hmmmm... that could probably be a bunch of different couples but if it was this one...

I certainly saw more than a couple of women out play their man.

Whether it was you I referring, I won't say . Regardless, glad to hear she "thought it was fun and arcade worthy" and that you put down a deposit.

#491 1 year ago

We are taking preorders for Houdini.

#492 1 year ago

This is the best part

#493 1 year ago
Quoted from JeffF:

He ended up putting a deposit down on Houdini based of what she said. They own an arcade and it's a well known fact that he can't play worth a damn but usually buys whatever she thinks is fun and arcade worthy.
BTW, I think she got the 3rd or 4th best score on Saturday(as of 2 or 3pm).

Hey hey now.

#494 1 year ago

Wow... you do have an account here!

#495 1 year ago

I put my deposit down and appreciate that there is another company in the mix to produce Quality alternatives to earn our hard earned money. So much better than how this hobby looked 5 - 10 years ago. Keep raising the bar and if people like it they will buy it regardless of cult followings or personal opinions. Need to make room soon and remind myself to inform the misses that we made another Huge purchase. Ahhhh, plenty of time for that........

#496 1 year ago

Remember Chicago Land and everybody outside of IN, NO tax.
$100.00 holds you a spot!!!!, Lots of interest and people calling and sending deposits.
We will also take trades ins on games .
Info@pincades.com
Pincades
JT

#497 1 year ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Wow... you do have an account here!

heh

#498 1 year ago

Was going to call my distributor Joe @ Pinballstar but thought I would just ask here. I recently heard on a podcast that Houdini is going to be limited to 600 games. Anyone else heard the same?

#499 1 year ago

Its their first game, why would you think it would be limited? I'm sure they want to sell as many as they can so there can be a second game. One model, no LE, etc. Nice.

Quoted from burningman:

Was going to call my distributor Joe @ Pinballstar but thought I would just ask here. I recently heard on a podcast that Houdini is going to be limited to 600 games. Anyone else heard the same?

#500 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Its their first game, why would you think it would be limited? I'm sure they want to sell as many as they can so there can be a second game. One model, no LE, etc. Nice.

I agree, that's why I was questioning it. When I heard it on the podcast I thought to myself, I haven't heard that before....
Just wanted to see if anyone else may know something about it...I'm listening to the podcast again now to make sure I heard it right.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
6,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fenton, MI
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Albany, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8871 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 178.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside