(Topic ID: 285818)

American Pinball - Hot Wheels, Sleeper of the year?

By fnosm

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hot-wheels-aero-blast-aircraft (resized).jpeg
IMG_7887 (resized).jpg
IMG_7888 (resized).jpg
arch blades (resized).JPG
hw_flyer_front (resized).png
Detail12 (resized).jpg
82558bd755d4bf64f8b1324b360ed554_XL (resized).jpg
hotwheels-backglass-upper-portion_orig (resized).png
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I have been playing Hot Wheels lately and I get so excited I come to Pinside to keep the rush going. But I can't find the love for this game. There is the Challenge Accepted thread which is good but that is not enough. This game deserves much more.

This game is awesome, built like a tank, beautiful art, amazing light show, great sounds, call outs, fun rule set, family friendly theme beautifully executed. Hot Wheels comes loaded with skins (it even has a skin on the apron, has this happened on other games?) shaker motor etc...

I love this game and I can't believe this thing isn't the best selling game of the year, except for GnR & R&M. I believe that once the pandemic is gone and people get out and play this game they are gonna freak. This is truly the game that no one knows about, I hope they are still making them when it catches fire.

Now I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement (stock topper, silly spinning car, youtube videos come to mind) but these are a non-issue and you can't beat the value for the $ anywhere.

Can I get some love for this amazing pinball?

82558bd755d4bf64f8b1324b360ed554_XL (resized).jpg82558bd755d4bf64f8b1324b360ed554_XL (resized).jpgDetail12 (resized).jpgDetail12 (resized).jpghotwheels-backglass-upper-portion_orig (resized).pnghotwheels-backglass-upper-portion_orig (resized).pnghw_flyer_front (resized).pnghw_flyer_front (resized).png

#2 3 years ago

No idea, haven;t go the chance to play it yet dammit. I think the animations are pretty great actually.

#3 3 years ago

Its plays great but like so many others pins the theme just isn't there. American needs to get an iconic theme license. I have enjoyed playing all 3 of there pins but wouldn't buy any of them.

#4 3 years ago

Can't stop playing mine. Great shots and so many ways to approach it.

#5 3 years ago

I think it is a great theme. Race cars, tachometers, tires burning rubber.

Growing up I played with Hot Wheels making tracks and loops and seeing how high you could start it without it falling off the track.
My parents also liked the track as it was easier to grab then a belt It hurts believe me.

Not to mention dream machines, cars that only exist imagination.

Hot Wheels are great.

#6 3 years ago

I hope to get one soon. It will be my next pin, so don't let the secret out.

#7 3 years ago

I will buy one when the money is under $5K

#8 3 years ago

What's with the spinning car? Looks annoying...

#9 3 years ago

Yes I agree it is a great game. Awesome rules and coding so far. Built well.

And amazing customer support. AP staff are regularly on here and in the threads helping out and answering questions.

Before I had my game I had emailed Michael at AP about something. He responded and his number was in the email.

Well I called him one early evening thinking I was calling his business line and going to leave a message.

He picked up. It was his cell. He was just at Walmart actually in the Hot Wheels isle. Lol.

Spent a few minutes chatting and answering my question.

Where else would that happen??

I can't wait to see what their next game is.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

What's with the spinning car? Looks annoying...

The faster it spins, the higher your tach. Honestly, I don't even notice it anymore. They added lighting cues for the tach (GI goes yellow, then orange when going into the yellow and red). But the spinning car does help. If You notice it isn't spinning, you know that you need to pay more attention to the RPM targets. Rev tach to 10 by hitting targets gets you to Red Line Mania. Each RLM shifts a gear that is a score multiplier that stays the whole game. It adds a big risk/reward factor if you are playing for score.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Honestly, I don't even notice it anymore.

This

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

How is this going to happen if they don't sell a ton of them?

I'm not comparing it to POTC but I bet a lot of people were planning on buying Pirates when the price came down.

#13 3 years ago

Remember the whoosh of cars whizzing through the flexing track? It would be great to get this sound to play when you make that left orbit shot onto the ramp that feeds the right lane.

You can hear it in this video at 2:49

#14 3 years ago

Not quite the hallmark of a great toy when the best thing about it is not noticing it anymore- haha. That said, I haven’t seen the game in the wild, but I would love the chance to play it.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Not quite the hallmark of a great toy when the best thing about it is not noticing it anymore- haha. That said, I haven’t seen the game in the wild, but I would love the chance to play it.

Just saying it is a visual cue that will help the player if they are interested in using it but if not they shouldn't worry that it will detract from the enjoyment of the game because it doesn't.

#16 3 years ago

Mine was delivered last night. Took a gamble on buying a NIB machine that I had never played. I could not be happier, it's got that "Just one more game" feeling that I've been missing in my recent pins. It's got a ton to "do", and picking up on some of the scoring strategies for sure. Fast. Awesome light show. The theme is well integrated IMO. I can't get enough.

#17 3 years ago

I agree that it is one of the most underrated games out there. The issue (that a few have already pointed out) is the theme just doesn't resonate as much with some people. I honestly believe that if you changed nothing other than the art and turned it into Mad Max, we would be talking game of the year.

The pandemic has also hurt it via closures of locations, shows, and as a result...word of mouth. A lot of people simply haven't been able to play it.

#18 3 years ago

There are some great mods for this game too. Check these out.

Pop Bumper Wheels - Sweet
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1080-the-mod-couple/03899-api-hot-wheels-redline-tires-custom-3d-pop-bumper-set

This anti-rattle mod is almost a necessity especially at this price.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1268-3d-tech-pinball-parts/04245-hot-wheels-metal-wire-guide-brace

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

Yes I agree it is a great game. Awesome rules and coding so far. Built well.
And amazing customer support. AP staff are regularly on here and in the threads helping out and answering questions.
Before I had my game I had emailed Michael at AP about something. He responded and his number was in the email.
Well I called him one early evening thinking I was calling his business line and going to leave a message.
He picked up. It was his cell. He was just at Walmart actually in the Hot Wheels isle. Lol.
Spent a few minutes chatting and answering my question.
Where else would that happen??
I can't wait to see what their next game is.

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. That was a funny moment. "I'm actually at Walmart, in the Hot Wheels aisle right now!"

The OP is correct. Once you guys play this game, you will realize the gem that it truly is. I play Hot Wheels nearly every day. Thank you for the support from all of us at American Pinball. Yes, I may be a little biased, but I was a pinhead before I ever worked at AP, and my love for Hot Wheels pinball is genuine. Please give the game a shot at your next opportunity and experience it for yourself. Then you'll understand.

-Michael from American Pinball

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Each RLM shifts a gear that is a score multiplier that stays the whole game. It adds a big risk/reward factor if you are playing for score.

also lets you then earn another turbo boost, which are limited to one per gear, (qualified via the pops), which when collected (at kickback) gives 15 seconds where the tach is 10X. Finding the best way to incorporate the boosts into your strategy is key to big scores.

So, tip of the day, be sure to use your boost before RLM and shifting gears.

Tip 2, if you start boost (accidentally?) and not sure what to shoot for, shoot the track builder (upper drop target/saucer) to build a boosted jackpot for track MB, you will thank me later.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. That was a funny moment. "I'm actually at Walmart, in the Hot Wheels aisle right now!"
The OP is correct. Once you guys play this game, you will realize the gem that it truly is. I play Hot Wheels nearly every day. Thank you for the support from all of us American Pinball. Yes, I may be a little biased, but I was a pinhead before I ever worked at AP, and my love for Hot Wheels pinball is genuine. Please give the game a shot at your next opportunity and experience it for yourself. Then you'll understand.
-Michael from American Pinball

Hi Michael,
Thanks for a great game and for looking in on us out here. Having Company support in the forums is HUGE!

#22 3 years ago

Ok.. so love the quality of AP's game. Absolutely fantastic. Owned an Oktoberfest for a while.. traded to a STh premium. Haven't looked back. My family played HWs right out of the box in Tenn. Honestly, I loved HWs growing up, and still have fond memories, but the theme just didnt click with us. Glad to hear people are enjoying it, perhaps we will give it another try. Do want to see a killer theme come from AP, they have the build quality down!

#23 3 years ago

I’ve owned this game for a couple of months now and it is simply a blast to play.
Hats off to AP for the design and great code in this game.

#24 3 years ago

It's my Game of the Year, just pure awesomeness

#25 3 years ago

Game looks fun. Looking forward to playing one. Since American Pinball has worked with Mattel now, it would be amazing if they picked up the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe license for a future title. The looks of Hot Wheels is amazing, they’d do a great job with a He-man theme.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from johnnyutah:

Game looks fun. Looking forward to playing one. Since American Pinball has worked with Mattel now, it would be amazing if they picked up the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe license for a future title. The looks of Hot Wheels is amazing, they’d do a great job with a He-man theme.

Oh, wow! That would be incredible!!

#27 3 years ago

Here is a picture of the pinblades on the Hot Wheels Apron. Is this a first?

arch blades (resized).JPGarch blades (resized).JPG
#28 3 years ago

Has anyone tried using a Subwoofer on Hot Wheels?
Any suggestions on how to go about it. I am considering tapping the leads to the speaker in the cabinet with alligator clips.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Wouldn't hold your breath there.
Hot Wheels is not Houdini.

Friend of mine has one and I think it's AMP's best playing pin by far.
AMP seems to really be learning from their past minor mistakes.

#30 3 years ago

Why have one spinning car when you can have two?

IMG_7887 (resized).jpgIMG_7887 (resized).jpgIMG_7888 (resized).jpgIMG_7888 (resized).jpg
#31 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Has anyone tried using a Subwoofer on Hot Wheels?
Any suggestions on how to go about it. I am considering tapping the leads to the speaker in the cabinet with alligator clips.

I have a Polk 10" powered sub under mine. It's great.

#32 3 years ago

Yup sub is awesome. Just clip onto sub in cab.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Why have one spinning car when you can have two?

To me a car spinning around in the air looks out of place.
How about swapping a Hot Wheels plane in place of the spinning car?
hot-wheels-aero-blast-aircraft (resized).jpeghot-wheels-aero-blast-aircraft (resized).jpeg

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

To me a car spinning around in the air looks out of place.
How about swapping a Hot Wheels plane in place of the spinning car?
[quoted image]

There’s no planes in the game animations. Although there are plenty of cars flying through the air.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

There’s no planes in the game animations. Although there are plenty of cars flying through the air.

There are planes in Hot wheels city, just none of the footage was a fit. The planes transport cars not people

#36 3 years ago

What happened to the anti rattle 3D printed brace,I have tried to buy it a few times!

#37 3 years ago

I messaged him twice about it last 2 months and never got a reply.

#38 3 years ago

We've been telling people for literally YEARS! Can't wait to see more in the wild

#39 3 years ago

Hands down my game of the year !

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

What happened to the anti rattle 3D printed brace,I have tried to buy it a few times!

I ended up emailing him directly and got it no problem. Try [email protected]

I've just installed mine. It didn't make me a good enough player to hit the shot when I need to, but it does reduce rattle!

#41 3 years ago

Thanks emailed him.

#42 3 years ago

There is a cool amp in the back box with a separate crossover and volume for the sub. I think you could unplug the in box sub and connect your external right there at the amp.

5 months later
#43 2 years ago

New to the club. Any tips on strategy?

#44 2 years ago

Build up your bonus with the rpm targets and go for Red Line Mania right away.

But this is an old thread. Goto...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hot-wheels-club-challenge-accepted

5 months later
#45 2 years ago

Just bought Hot Wheels from one of the Pin Insiders on this thread. I have to agree with everything that is said. I have owned close to 30 games and this one is just fabulous. So much to do and great shooting / challenging. The code is really good. Since you are still making this game, American pinball, keep coming out with more code!

#46 2 years ago

My Hot wheels pin should be here in the next week or so! I live minutes from American Pinball and work seconds from the 2 others in Elk Grove Village. For sure the area to be in for pinball. No shipping costs!

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from tsinger873:

My Hot wheels pin should be here in the next week or so! I live minutes from American Pinball and work seconds from the 2 others in Elk Grove Village. For sure the area to be in for pinball. No shipping costs!

Who’s the 2 others?

Nevermind, I thought you were referring to people, not the companies

#48 2 years ago

Has anyone upgraded the speakers in Hot Wheels? Do you know the size and number of speakers on the machines produced in 2022?

2 weeks later
#49 2 years ago

If anyone is looking to add Hot Wheels to their AP collection I’ll be posting on later on today. Looks great, plays great. Shaker, side art and topper. $6600

3 months later
#50 1 year ago

Still one of the best deals out there. AP need to get on board with Scorbit…

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Atoka, TN
$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Medford, NY
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, MA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-hot-wheels-sleeper-of-the-year?hl=dergoetz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.