2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 410 posts
  • 120 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MightyGrave
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 52 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Arnie Wiesn (resized).png
    326C04D4-4E1C-4415-9BB3-4E8D88761DC3 (resized).jpeg
    A party (resized).jpg
    beers (resized).jpg
    dasch (resized).jpg
    welcome (resized).jpg
    IMG_0902 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0901 (resized).JPG
    ca 1 (resized).JPG
    ca 2 (resized).jpg
    TS (resized).JPG
    Fraulein (resized).jpg
    IMG_2457 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2456 (resized).JPG
    kick-ass-costume-300x250 (resized).jpg
    glasses (resized).jpg

There are 410 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
    #101 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rferullo:

I think AP should do a Grateful Dead theme pin! Instead of tilt - you overdose!
    But seriously - they deserve a machine.

Yes, Finally someone that agrees with me!!

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ah yes... The old need debate on a pinball forum, classic. How's your Facebook poll going poindexter?

"The old need debate on a pinball forum, classic." Huh? Are you even speaking English? Nice emoji BTW.

The poll is going well 155 votes, 76% would not buy an Octoberfest themed pin and 24% would. I personally think that is telling, particularly since it is in an environment away from Pinside.

Funny how this whole discussion was supposed to an interesting, civil debate about whether Octoberfest would make a good theme for a game and in typical Pinside troll fashion a faceless, nameless loser with keyboard courage had to ruin it.

Back to more positive discussions.

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

"
    The poll is going well 155 votes, 76% would not buy an Octoberfest themed pin and 24% would. I personally think that is telling, particularly since it is in an environment away from Pinside.

Regarding your poll:
    Replacing the "Octoberfest" theme with "Houdini" or "Cellphone Catastrophies" would render similiar results without any further machine info.
    I'd like to see a design with feature matrix first in order to determine whether or not I'd be interested in buying.

Hm. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of an Oktoberfest pin. Plenty of possibilities in the lighthearted fun department.

#105 2 years ago

"The old need debate on a pinball forum, classic." Huh? Are you even speaking English? Nice emoji BTW.
    Funny how this whole discussion was supposed to an interesting, civil debate about whether Octoberfest would make a good theme for a game and in typical Pinside troll fashion a faceless, nameless loser with keyboard courage had to ruin it.

when people say pinside is a minority in the community and this is the stat showed at the top of the home forum page:
    "In the past 24 hours, we've seen 68 new topics, 1,830 posts and 4,590 of 48,691 Pinsiders logging on."

a poll on facebook with 155 people is not really a good gauge

not that I disagree with your assessment of the potential theme.

#106 2 years ago

For a perfect illustration than that, one has to look no further than Dialed In. A legendary designer, a game packed with toys, high build quality, well received game design and still the game isn't meeting sales expectations.

Where are you getting this from?

#107 2 years ago

We saw pics of Charlie from spooky next to that awesome Kosmic Kaos cab but maybe in fact AP picked it up. The initial art is on par with the high quality of houdini. Never know.?.

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I think an awesome second title would be Wrath of Olympus! Monsters and gods, 2 steps from hell soundtrack, multilevel wizard mode, lots of multiball action, 3 ramps, 6 flippers, tons of fun! That would be my vote for APs second game.

They'll meet you in the middle with their new game, Wrath of Oktoberfest!

#109 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

We saw pics of Charlie from spooky next to that awesome Kosmic Kaos cab but maybe in fact AP picked it up. The initial art is on par with the high quality of houdini. Never know.?.

It was clearly a collaboration, and as much as demand seems to be exceeding supply for Spooky at the moment, they'd have to be mad to pass on the first Mark Ritchie game in over 20 years.

Even if it isn't a true 'house' game. Especially when the initial art shown and retro sci-fi theme seem so promising.

#110 2 years ago

After a night of partying Joe goes crazy and designs Apollo 26. Once in production American Pinball buys up every pinball ball is sight. So they can put 26 balls in each game for the craziest multiball ever.

Their 3rd game will be Pinball Show. Featuring a mode for each pinball show in the country.

LTG : )

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This is a good point, but I would counter that the price includes a lot of assets that you otherwise have to create from scratch yourself, and that's a cost to factor also. In the end a license might not actually be that much more expensive, but it really depends on what you do, who you have to pay to make things etc.

The assets are a huge part of the value of a licensed theme -- but, depends on the freedom you have in using them. Creating all assets from scratch is a ton of work, but as we have talked about, we can do what we want. I joked with Dwight Sullivan one time that he gets to go home, have a few beers and watch Ghostbusters and see what great lines Harold Ramis had written for him. I on the other hand would go home, drink Tequila and come up with the lines myself. Of course it was the power of tequila the brought reversed and inverted flippers to straitjacket multiball.

The big advantage of a theme is that you have, potentially, a lot of interest out of the gate for those who are fans of the theme (and obviously you have some of the opposite, where some guys will be 'no way am I buying that theme'. But the success of machine needs more then the hard core fans, but that certainly can get sales moving fast. While hard core JJP fans jumped on Dialed In right away, most others were more apt to take a wait and see approach. Even with Houdini which is as close to a licensed theme you can get without being licensed, there was a 'wait and see' attitude with the exception of some hard core magic fans. Now part of that is the fact that were a new company and well, we have seen the recent track record on new companies. Now that we have shipped over 300 games, I think there are many collectors who are just now willing to give Houdini a real look.

Quoted from KingPinGames:

Change the name to Joe, Jim, and Barry and you can just use internal security footage for the LCD screen... hahaha.

Hey just because I refer to those guys . . .

Quoted from fishbone:

Replacing the "Octoberfest" theme with "Houdini" or "Cellphone Catastrophies" would render similiar results without any further machine info.

What people say they will buy, and what they will actually buy are rarely the same. And that certainly goes both ways, willing to bet there are some folks who said "no way will I buy an Iron Maiden machine' who have now placed orders. I'd also bet there were guys saying "Stars Wars is a must have theme" and have chosen not to drop the coin.

Quoted from LTG:

After a night of partying Joe goes crazy and designs Apollo 26. Once in production American Pinball buys up every pinball ball is sight. So they can put 26 balls in each game for the craziest multiball ever.

Don't give him any ideas, I don't want to have to code for 26 balls.

Quoted from LTG:

Their 3rd game will be Pinball Show. Featuring a mode for each pinball show in the country.

I can hear the complaints now "too many modes" and "you did not include our show"

#112 2 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

The assets are a huge part of the value of a licensed theme -- but, depends on the freedom you have in using them.

Oh i think he knows that more than most.

#113 2 years ago

I saw your poll. Thanks for putting it up. I didn't vote because I can't say with certainty I wouldn't but one. There are many factors that make a good game, theme is just one. If you had instead posed the question "based on the name only, would you be interested or put money down sign unseen?" I would have voted no

#114 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Fun...but would only sell 40 units.

It could be the second official pinball of the Tokyo Pinball club.

I'm betting on Asian Storm, the sequel to Data East's Desert Storm. But instead of Bush and Saddam, it will be Trump and Kim themed.

#115 2 years ago

American Pinball: Please consider ‘The Matrix’ as a possible future pin. I really think It would be a fantastic pinball machine and a great earner too! There are lots of possibilities, modes and ideas you could incorporate from the Matrix movies. Please see thread below for some cool ideas

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-the-matrix-pin-ever-become-a-reality

B4F22DEC-6D8C-48CF-9414-7D935122E361 (resized).jpeg

#116 2 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Not saying it is or isn't Oktoberfest, or any other theme mentioned, well except the Stooges, which I did say it is not.
    I am surprised to hear you say that. I'm sure there were plenty who thought a machine based on fishing or whitewater rafting or a diner or amusement parks or the weather or golf or . . . . would be dreadful. It really comes down to what you do with it, which also applies to a 'great' theme. Look at Star Wars and Alien, both would be generally viewed as great themes, but one did a great job of bringing the theme to life through game play and theme implementation into the machine and the other, not so much.
    Curious as to what you see at the 'downsides of a shitty license'. I typically see the downsides to a license being limitations on what you can do with assets, the characters, the story, the dialog, as well as the need to get approvals for everything and the impact that can have on your timeline that either can delay it or it forces you to take the path of least resistance where you know you will get things approved -- e.g. take no risks keep it simple and safe.

Why not build a machine with both assets, great theme with great implementation?
    I agree to say that a great theme is a theme that the majority is happy with it.
    Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Oktoberfest are lame imho (even if Oktoberfest gets a positive aspect as this is European theme)and when there is a great one like GOTG this is in reality a remake, ST is boring, SW disappointing layout..ok licence price are not the same.

#117 2 years ago

We still need a Get Fuzzy pin.

#118 2 years ago

American Pinball, you could do a cold war pin and the race to put the first man on the moon.
    How about about a horror themed like escaping a mental institution. Im thinking straight jacket multiball or electric shock the pin ball to get the voices out of its head. Use my title “Mind Warped”

#119 2 years ago

I need something that won't drive rosh crazy programming.

#120 2 years ago

I suggested "War of the Worlds" to Barry at AP last week. Its based on a book from the 19th century so I expect its in the public domain. Id love to see the 1953 movie come to life as a pin with the iconic 1950s ships and the classic sound effects from back then. I've already dreamt up the playfield and rules in my head. That would probably need a licence but id kickstarter that baby.

images (resized).jpeg

#121 2 years ago

This place recently opened near St. Louis, a city with a long German heritage. (Proud Kraut here. Both sides of my family) I believe they have other locations.
    There are many German restaurants around these parts. Very loud and festive places. An Oktoberfest pin might do well here if done correctly. Lots of humor and busty Frauleins.

http://www.hofbrauhausstlouis.com/

#122 2 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

This place recently opened near St. Louis, a city with a long German heritage...

Yewah plenty of German action in the midwest cities.

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

American Pinball: Please consider ‘The Matrix’ as a possible future pin. I really think It would be a fantastic pinball machine and a great earner too! There are lots of possibilities, modes and ideas you could incorporate from the Matrix movies. Please see thread below for some cool ideas
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-the-matrix-pin-ever-become-a-reality

Matrix...jaws, James Bond, dexter, wrath of Olympus, ice age, rise of the guardians, the mask, back to the future...

#124 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

We still need a Get Fuzzy pin.

Like this?

#125 2 years ago
    Quoted from WW2GURU:

I suggested "War of the Worlds" to Barry at AP last week. Its based on a book from the 19th century so I expect its in the public domain. Id love to see the 1953 movie come to life as a pin with the iconic 1950s ships and the classic sound effects from back then. I've already dreamt up the playfield and rules in my head. That would probably need a licence but id kickstarter that baby.

Like this?

#127 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Like this?
    » YouTube video

If you mean to say its been done before, id ask how many pirates of the caribbean games and heavy metal themes do we have now? Alien invasion movies were done to death in the 50s and most of them terrible which AFM certainly makes fun of. The kids show Monsters VS Aliens does the exact same thing with the over the top trigger happy general. I played all the versions of AFM at YEGPIN at the beginning of the month. It gets pretty boring quick although the sound bites are OK but theres so much open uninspired playfield full of easy repetitious shots. What Im talking about is using sound effects from the actual 1953 movie and the model of the ship etc. It was big budget movie back then and did quite well and is one of few that were a more serious tone and were using the fear of the Cold War to have a parallel meaning about invasion from the Russians.

#129 2 years ago

Definitely on my watchlist now that was funny thanks!

#130 2 years ago

Not sure I would be interested...
    I'd see it as an Andrew vs Kevin pin!

Preorder skill shot
    Two Weeks Multiball vs The Midlle Truth Multiball
    Investors ball save
    Surviving the Lawsuit Wizard mode

#131 2 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Preorder skill shot
    Investors ball save
    Surviving the Lawsuit Wizard mode

^^^^Clever smart post of the week award!^^^^

#132 2 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Preorder skill shot
    Investors ball save
    Surviving the Lawsuit Wizard
    mode</blockquote

Well said.

#133 2 years ago

AP game #2 - “the Power of Tequila!”

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

AP game #2 - “the Power of Tequila!”

So... Pee Wee Herman theme then.

#136 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No, or anything he made in the 90s/2000s.

Come on man, Godzilla is F'ing awesome. Seriously love that game.

Terry.

#137 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Come on man, Godzilla is F'ing awesome. Seriously love that game

Me too .... Very underrated!

#138 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Terry.

Fun for sure to play with people for a good time but I sure wouldn't own it. Apollo 13 has some good ideas and unique shit for sure (sans the dumbass 13 ball)...Godzilla his best from that time?

#140 2 years ago

And probably his best ever then Dammit, didn;t get to play it this year at the Zoo.

#141 2 years ago

Oktoberfest could work, I picture comic book artwork similar to Asterix, lots of humour.

One of the best nights I ever had was at the Hofbrahaus in Munich so maybe it's clouding my judgement...

#142 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Great game, can be tough, tough enough that it can even survive being dropped down a flight of stairs.

#143 2 years ago

I think Oktoberfest could be a great game. I was the one who emailed to Kaneda to argue that it had potential. My point was that until you see the game design (ie, art, playfield, music, etc.) you really don't have a clue. There are some title that would clearly be stupid for the pinball market such as Rainbow Bright. But a pinball machine celebrating one of the world's most beloved music, beer and sausage eating events is an idea at least worth talking about. I'm sure with the right creative people, an Oktoberfest would be killer.

That being said, I think the art package needs to be stellar. Some cartoonish-oktoberfest thing would not pique my interest (ala Whoa Nellie). Something like this for a backglass.

Oktoberfest (resized).jpg

#144 2 years ago

API should think about co-branding with one of the big Oktoberfest brewers such as Spaten, Paulener or even Sam Adams.

#145 2 years ago

How could oktoberfest even be a theme. Come on... please... that is all about beer and blonds with big boobs. That... that is.... uhmm....

Wait... i might have 2nd thoughts on this one.

#146 2 years ago

We love Oktoberfest here in Australia. It's a great excuse for an extended pissup here

An incredible tradition celebrated world wide. On my bucket list to attend one year soon in Germany.
    Germany is an awesome place to visit, was very fortunate to attend 2013 Pinball world champs with a bunch of mates and loved the place and the people !

I think the theme/idea is great and if executed well will possibly outsell Houdini here down under.

Best wishes to you guys no matter what theme you go for I'm sure the final product will be amazing

OKT 2 (resized).jpg

#147 2 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

The assets are a huge part of the value of a licensed theme -- but, depends on the freedom you have in using them. Creating all assets from scratch is a ton of work, but as we have talked about, we can do what we want. I joked with Dwight Sullivan one time that he gets to go home, have a few beers and watch Ghostbusters and see what great lines Harold Ramis had written for him. I on the other hand would go home, drink Tequila and come up with the lines myself. Of course it was the power of tequila the brought reversed and inverted flippers to straitjacket multiball.
    The big advantage of a theme is that you have, potentially, a lot of interest out of the gate for those who are fans of the theme (and obviously you have some of the opposite, where some guys will be 'no way am I buying that theme'. But the success of machine needs more then the hard core fans, but that certainly can get sales moving fast. While hard core JJP fans jumped on Dialed In right away, most others were more apt to take a wait and see approach. Even with Houdini which is as close to a licensed theme you can get without being licensed, there was a 'wait and see' attitude with the exception of some hard core magic fans. Now part of that is the fact that were a new company and well, we have seen the recent track record on new companies. Now that we have shipped over 300 games, I think there are many collectors who are just now willing to give Houdini a real look.

Hey just because I refer to those guys . . .

What people say they will buy, and what they will actually buy are rarely the same. And that certainly goes both ways, willing to bet there are some folks who said "no way will I buy an Iron Maiden machine' who have now placed orders. I'd also bet there were guys saying "Stars Wars is a must have theme" and have chosen not to drop the coin.

Don't give him any ideas, I don't want to have to code for 26 balls.

I can hear the complaints now "too many modes" and "you did not include our show"

PM Sent!
    Unlicensed ideas should go to Rosh in private since others lurk around.

#148 2 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

We love Oktoberfest here in Australia. It's a great excuse for an extended pissup here
    An incredible tradition celebrated world wide. On my bucket list to attend one year soon in Germany.
    Germany is an awesome place to visit, was very fortunate to attend 2013 Pinball world champs with a bunch of mates and loved the place and the people !
    I think the theme/idea is great and if executed well will possibly outsell Houdini here down under.
    Best wishes to you guys no matter what theme you go for I'm sure the final product will be amazing

Oups! I just noticed there was a guy in the center of the pic..

#149 2 years ago

Beerfest would be fun. I'd like to see Wooly made.

#150 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Unlicensed ideas should go to Rosh in private since others lurk around.

If I ever have one better than the Three Stooges. I'll PM Ericpinballfan and he can PM rosh.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 119.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Other
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 189.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 249.00
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    RPGCor
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinshakers
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 29.99
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 410 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside