Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Rabscuttle
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

t1.jpg
    ted_lobby_wall_1.jpg
    sotcg.jpg
    alien-0116_cigar.gif
    fake_surprise.gif
    rps20130509_071651_704.jpg
    rps20130509_071622_072.jpg
    rps20130509_071521_529.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Wish I had a camera crew for this. This fella had been collecting for 40 years. I bought it all! My buddy helped me load it and got a really cool Alien Star. Enjoy the pics!

rps20130509_071521_529.jpgrps20130509_071521_529.jpg rps20130509_071622_072.jpgrps20130509_071622_072.jpg rps20130509_071651_704.jpgrps20130509_071651_704.jpg

#2 10 years ago

That's neat

#3 10 years ago

How many machines did you end up with from the haul?

#4 10 years ago

Do you have a breakdown of which machines you got?

#6 10 years ago

27 complete machines and enough parts to complete 10-12 others. Lots of extra goodies from parted machines as well. It will take a while to sort.

#7 10 years ago

Awesome find.
    Post more photos and a list of names please.
    Congrats.

#8 10 years ago

Sweet, these kind of scores make a person keep looking even though they are few and far between!

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Do you have a breakdown of which machines you got?

That will take a while! There where 2 very rare Atari Airborne Avenger!

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from StrykersArcade:

There where 2 very rare Atari Airborne Avenger!

Cool! Steve Ritchie's first! I think fattrain ran into one of these recently too. Nearly 100th of all the ones made found over the past couple months. Pretty cool stuff.

#11 10 years ago

I'm so jealous! How did you hear about it??

Dare I ask what you paid??

#12 10 years ago

What is the game list

#13 10 years ago

Game list will come. We worked out an average price x # of machines and took the lot.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Dbaum88:

I'm so jealous! How did you hear about it??Dare I ask what you paid??

He came into my arcade and said "I hear you collect pinball machines?"

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from StrykersArcade:

He came into my arcade and said "I hear you collect pinball machines?"

You are one lucky sod

#16 10 years ago

Great story and find!

#17 10 years ago

Every pinball collector's dream <<envy

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

Every pinball collector's dream <<envy

I do daydream a lot about this exact senario! Great find!

#19 10 years ago

This guy wasn't dressed like a leprechaun was he? You sure got the pot o' gold!

#20 10 years ago

super score - looks like you went in Heavy

#21 10 years ago

Congrats! Wonder how many here know that there were actually pinball machines produced before DMDs.

#22 10 years ago

What!!

fake_surprise.giffake_surprise.gif

#23 10 years ago

Great score!!!!! I would like to see a list too!!

#24 10 years ago

Oh dude! Is this ANOTHER score or the same one you were telling me about when I was up there a few weeks ago? You got all the luck, gotta open me up an arcade and start pulling these deals in.

#25 10 years ago

Yeah, this is what happens when you have a place and are known for something. My friend had a guy contact him out of the blue and said, "Are you the movie poster guy." Long story short, my buddy bought a collection for $24k and sold it for $400k. (even the longer version of this story is good!)

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Yeah, this is what happens when you have a place and are known for something. My friend had a guy contact him out of the blue and said, "Are you the movie poster guy." Long story short, my buddy bought a collection for $24k and sold it for $400k. (even the longer version of this story is good!)

Yeah, I know of a guy near me who was huge into Lionel trains. Bought a collection for about $20k and sold for well over $100k. It's about time I left cubicle land and did something I like myself...

#27 10 years ago

Wish I was closer !

#28 10 years ago

Wow, what a great score you got! Looks like everything is in pretty good shape too.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

(even the longer version of this story is good!)

Is the longer version in print somewhere on the web.
    As a movie poster collector, I would read that.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

This guy wasn't dressed like a leprechaun was he? You sure got the pot o' gold!

I didn't see that one in the pictures.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Is the longer version in print somewhere on the web.
    As a movie poster collector, I would read that.

The slightly longer version is that the stuff existed on a farm. When my buddy went out there and saw all the stuff, he was amazed, but knew he couldn't afford it. He made a pile of just the stuff he wanted for his collection and a bit more.
    The guy said, "Why don't you just give me $20k and take the whole thing!" My friend said it was worth MUCH more than that and offered more. The guy said, $24k is plenty, just get the stuff outta here." After removing the pieces for his collection, he sold some to friends and some on Ebay.

#32 10 years ago

The stuff of which dreams are made...

#33 10 years ago

Wow! Great score! I can't even fathom having that many games to restore at one time.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

The slightly longer version is that the stuff existed on a farm. When my buddy went out there and saw all the stuff, he was amazed, but knew he couldn't afford it. He made a pile of just the stuff he wanted for his collection and a bit more.
    The guy said, "Why don't you just give me $20k and take the whole thing!" My friend said it was worth MUCH more than that and offered more. The guy said, $24k is plenty, just get the stuff outta here." After removing the pieces for his collection, he sold some to friends and some on Ebay.

Awesome story. Thanks.

#35 10 years ago

My pleasure. What kind of posters do you collect? I've been collecting since the 60's...mostly 40's-50's sci fi...

alien-0116_cigar.gifalien-0116_cigar.gif

#36 10 years ago

looking at those photos, what I don't get.. Why does someone put that big of a collection in storage? Why pay hundreds of dollars per month to store something that should be played? Why wouldn't you just sell it at the very beginning instead?

Hopefully he had ways of keeping moisture down to a minimum since that's outside (yes covered, but that aint much better than in a garage). Did you check for corrosion on the inside metal parts?

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

My pleasure. What kind of posters do you collect? I've been collecting since the 60's...mostly 40's-50's sci fi...

I just got into it a year or so ago.
    I did not mean to hijack this awesome thread but I have one lightbox that I change out my modern double sided posters in and I have one old poster that I love that is right up your alley.
    It is from "Slave of the Cannibal Gods" with Ursula Andress of James Bond fame.
    I'm sure it was a horrible movie but the poster is awesome looking.

#38 10 years ago

This one?

sotcg.jpgsotcg.jpg

#39 10 years ago

Yes. But the actual movie poster. Not the DVD release.

#40 10 years ago

Most of my collection is the early stuff. ted_lobby_wall_1.jpgted_lobby_wall_1.jpg t1.jpgt1.jpg

#41 10 years ago

Nothing like the thrill of the find/buy. Congrats enjoy the high...

#42 10 years ago

Congratulations, that's wonderful!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinbal-pickers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.