Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by AlexF
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“American pickers,smart businessmen or greedy”

• Smart business 84 votes
      71%
    • Greed 34 votes
      29%

(118 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsronnie1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

On that note, who has ever had to deal with a buyer in real life that employs the same stupid $5-$10 increments when trying to negotiate a sale on a $3000 pinball machine because they have watched it play out for a $300 item on AP?

I get people all the time negotiating with me in completely nonsense ways because they saw it on American Pickers or a similar show (I think there's one called Flea Market flip that's even more fake). I love the show of course but a lot of the negotiating on there isn't how it really works in real life, lol.

so they'll say things like "Is that the most you'll offer?" sometimes I mess with them and offer less....

#103 4 years ago

My favorite part of American Pickers, is how they'll go to somebody's house, buy 3 things, leave 10,000 things, tell the guy they'll be back, then drive 1500 miles down the road to buy 3 other things from somebody else. This is not believable to me.

If i'm gong on a operator warehouse raid, I'M BUYING EVERYTHING I mean I'm going to leave there with all the operators tools, his old stock capacitors that are probably bad, all the manuals I can find, whatever I can fit in the truck!

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I always thought the American Pickers and Hoarders shows should merge. No way a building was packed with that much stuff, good stuff and garbage, just for the sake of a "show". Maybe the transactions are staged but certainly not the hoarder aspect.

They definitely don't pack the buildings for the show, those are real hoards they're finding, the purchases are staged though. I honestly believe most of the stuff they probably never actually even buy, they just pick out an interesting item, talk about it, haggle a little bit, probably give the seller whatever price they haggled and then leave the item there with them.

I haven't read up on it, but I think on Pawn Stars the experts they call in just bring in an item they own, you have a fake person try to sell it to the show, he calls an expert, the expert comes in and explains his own item, and then they do the fake purchase or negotiation for the show. They probably look for different and interesting 'experts' to bring cool stuff on the show, one time they had a guy who was an expert on shipwreck treasure who according to the show was local to Vegas (he just called him up to come on down). So they're telling you a shipwreck expert lives in the middle of the Nevada desert.

Part of the fun of the shows is bitching about how stupid they think we are

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

No, they do not leave the items. If a deal is done they pay before they leave and take the items with them.

And you know this how? Please don't tell me because you saw it on the show

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I know this because this is the way they handled things with me. While I can't speak to other episodes, I can say they were fair with me. People ask about why other items aren't shown but there is only so much time in an episode. What would you have cut or taken out to make time to show something else? Should they have shown more things that weren't for sale? If you only get a limited amount of airtime doesn't it make sense to highlight more interesting and unique items? Maybe ones that can convey some history and then if people are interested can look up more detailed info.
    Robert

Very cool Robert, I wasn't trying to suggest they're ripping anybody off or anything, I was just saying I don't trust what I see on the show That's cool they were as nice in person as they are on the show.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsronnie1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pickerssmart-businessmen-or-greedy?tu=lyonsronnie1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.