Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by AlexF
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“American pickers,smart businessmen or greedy”

• Smart business 84 votes
      71%
    • Greed 34 votes
      29%

(118 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kozmckpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 4 years ago

Anything can be sold on eBay these days. Some items like a $5 oil can ok not worth your time listing it. eBay charges 10% fee on the sale price. I called a local gold dealer and asked him what he paid for gold and he said spot prices minus a dollar or two and 10% less than that. I said why 10% less? He said, because it would cost you 10% to sell it on eBay. (Even though I'm not doing that here).

So moral of the story. It costs money to sell stuff, I mean just the regular folks that have the stuff, not a business like Pickers. It takes effort as well. Someone shows up and offers you cash and takes care of everything is worth something. Staged or not it's a really good show.

#52 4 years ago

I always thought the American Pickers and Hoarders shows should merge. No way a building was packed with that much stuff, good stuff and garbage, just for the sake of a "show". Maybe the transactions are staged but certainly not the hoarder aspect.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Its more authentic than Pawn Stars.That show is fake as hell.

True. Like I'm sure a sizeable crowd of young people (and older ones) like hanging around a Pawn Shop as is always the case on the show.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

67%
    If you calculate profit as a percentage of the sale price. Which is how most big companies would do it.
    You are probably thinking profit as a percentage of cost. Which would be 200%

If you pay $300 for a share of stock and sell it for $900, you'd presumably pay taxes on $600. The return % reported would be $600/$300, or 100% before taxes. Check out your eTrade account for details..

2 weeks later
    #125 4 years ago

Correct me if I am wrong, but earlier shows showed a graphic, what an item was picked for, what it was worth and then expected profit. It seems as though that graphic got dropped or limited in subsequent shows. If so, probably that graphic was just highlighting when the sellers were getting a bad deal and it did not help AP's rep to viewers. Great show, one of my favorites.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kozmckpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pickerssmart-businessmen-or-greedy?tu=kozmckpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.