Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by AlexF
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“American pickers,smart businessmen or greedy”

• Smart business 84 votes
      71%
    • Greed 34 votes
      29%

(118 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from trumpy:

Is what it is...... a lot of effort , time, and $$$ are put forth for an hopeful profit in the future.
    ...... and.......?

The sad part about this is that people believe it is real. And after American Pickers, they turn on Home Shopping Network to buy a "bargain" .

Nobody is going to let these guys come and shuffle through their trash if "breaking the ice" means using real prices.

Sort of like a movie that is "based on true events" and the only thing that is true is that they got the guy's name right.

The real sad part is that the politicians use the same formula to get you to vote for them.
    =========================

Here is a Canadian antique dealer who is out there doing it on his own. No script writers. No TV crew. This guy is the real deal and can be interesting to watch. But if he was on TV, most people would flip to the next channel.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

Technically buying for 300 and selling for 600 is 50% profit. It would be 100% markup, but its only 50% profit. Half of what you sold it for is profit. For it to be 100% profit, it would have to have been free.

Would you like to run that math by me again?

What would your profit be if you bought for $300.00 and sold for $900.00? That's plus $600.00. What would that be, profit percentage wise?

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Huh. I feel the opposite when I watch it. "They paid THAT much for that piece of shit!?"

This is the best laugh I have had in a .....long time

#49 4 years ago

Frank and Mike were doing this before the TV guys entered the picture.

Mike said when big-budget TV got involved they started sleeping in nice hotels instead of the back of the van or some dump of a room.

On their own, they had to cut a profit. With TV money they are on easy street.

I like watching the show to see what they dig up but the prices leave me scratching my head.

OTOH, it was not long ago that Pawn Stars had some pinball machines with crazy prices. And today, those prices are not crazy, anymore. Well, today’s prices are crazy but you know what I mean.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

What really bothers me is during a pick,the camera will pan across where they are picking at that time.I usually tape the shows so I can stop and see what is in the backround! I have seen many old,and rare woodrail pins that they don't even look at!! And at one episode,the guy had numerous old pins all around and they went crazy over a old EK,in terrible shape!!

There was one episode where they were all gaga over some rare type of juke box. The juke was the star of the show. For awhile, I was watching "reruns" on Netflix so I don't know if the episodes were in correct order, but there was another episode with one of the same type of rare jukeboxes taking up space in the back ground and not a word was said about it. I thought hat was strange that it at least did not get a mention, like," hey, we bought one of those a few episodes back".

I'm like you. I like seeing what is sitting around but the cam is moving too fast.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

Technically buying for 300 and selling for 600 is 50% profit. It would be 100% markup, but its only 50% profit. Half of what you sold it for is profit. For it to be 100% profit, it would have to have been free.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Would you like to run that math by me again?
    What would your profit be if you bought for $300.00 and sold for $900.00? That's plus $600.00. What would that be, profit percentage wise?

You are correct. I owe you an apology.

=============

Google to the rescue.

https://www.brattbank.com/bcalc/ProfitMargin.html
    ======================

Quoted from BeaglePuss:

Holy Macaroni, you cannot be serious.

Quoted from punkin:

Seems people don't understand basic maths.
    My ex used to tell me she 'won' $100 at the slot machines. I'd ask how much she put in to get the $100 out and she'd say $50. She 'won' $50.
    If you had a $10 note and you sold it to someone for $20 you'd make $10 profit. That equates to 50% profit (50% of $20 is $10).
    In the example a couple posts up when someone for some reason used bigger numbers then if you bought something for $300,00 and sold it for $900,000 it would be 66% profit.
    That's how the numbers work. If it was 100% profit you would have to have gotten it for nothing for 100% of the sales price to be profit.
    It's a 200% markup. There's a difference.
    It's all a moot point anyway as it's a TV show and the numbers are just made up.

No. It is not moot. I threw out some bad info. It needed to be corrected. Bad info. is like a rumor. It gathers a life of its own and it gets hard to determine fact from fiction.

Quoted from T7:

67%
    If you calculate profit as a percentage of the sale price. Which is how most big companies would do it.
    You are probably thinking profit as a percentage of cost. Which would be 200%

Yes.

Quoted from KozMckPinball:

If you pay $300 for a share of stock and sell it for $900, you'd presumably pay taxes on $600. The return % reported would be $600/$300, or 100% before taxes. Check out your eTrade account for details..

Did you mean to say 200% ? The webpage I linked suggests that to me. And that's the way I would look at it when I was doing some trading.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

They definitely don't pack the buildings for the show, those are real hoards they're finding, the purchases are staged though. I honestly believe most of the stuff they probably never actually even buy, they just pick out an interesting item, talk about it, haggle a little bit, probably give the seller whatever price they haggled and then leave the item there with them.
    I haven't read up on it, but I think on Pawn Stars the experts they call in just bring in an item they own, you have a fake person try to sell it to the show, he calls an expert, the expert comes in and explains his own item, and then they do the fake purchase or negotiation for the show. They probably look for different and interesting 'experts' to bring cool stuff on the show, one time they had a guy who was an expert on shipwreck treasure who according to the show was local to Vegas (he just called him up to come on down). So they're telling you a shipwreck expert lives in the middle of the Nevada desert.
    Part of the fun of the shows is bitching about how stupid they think we are

There was one Pawn Stars where a guy was selling a guitar. The camera was on two other guitars hanging on the wall. Later on, with the same guy selling the same guitar, one of the guitars on the wall was different. I read somewhere, maybe on pinside, that that there might be 2 or 3 different shoots on different days to get that part of the episode set up.

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I know this because this is the way they handled things with me

If we saw the episode you were in would we be thinking you are some old fart holding onto everything for dear life ? You have crap stacked around everywhere?

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I guess an exception would be if it was a really large item like a vehicle that needed to be shipped later.....

There was one show where that bought an old car, really rare, blowing some smoke from the tail pipe. And they hit the road. They were headed north to somewhere. Part of the route was on US 66. I Google Earthed their point "A" and point "B". It was over 400 miles.

I have a hard believing that they drove all that distance in some old tub. I'm figure they had a trailer stashed nearby. but that is just a guess.
    ====================================================

I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I was to find out in Easy Rider, Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper did not ride those two Harley Panheads across country. When the cameras were not rolling those two bikes were on trailers. So much for Ride to Live:Live to Ride

....For the younger generation hanging out on pinside, Easy Rider was a movie that was made in 1969 where two dudes moved a large quantity of cocaine, unloaded their 2 rice burners for two righteous Harley-Davidson motorcycles and hit the road for New Orleans.....

Damn !! I just now see with Google that a local theatre is showing Easy Rider for the 50th Anniversary. Tomorrow night I'm going to the movies !

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pickerssmart-businessmen-or-greedy?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.