Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by AlexF
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“American pickers,smart businessmen or greedy”

• Smart business 84 votes
      71%
    • Greed 34 votes
      29%

(118 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 4 years ago

I wonder how many people commenting on this thread about it being fake or staged have actually met Mike and Frank or have been on the show. Not many. I had an opportunity to meet them and thought they were fair with me. I had no idea what they wanted to buy ahead of time. If it something sounded fair fine. If not I'd counter them. If we couldn't agree I just kept it.

Do people really expect them to pay retail? Maybe if it something they just want to keep for themselves if it is really unique.

The show isn't just about buying old signs and motorcycles. They do try to add some interesting history about items along the way. I enjoy watching the show and do see some interesting stuff.

Robert

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I always thought the American Pickers and Hoarders shows should merge. No way a building was packed with that much stuff, good stuff and garbage, just for the sake of a "show". Maybe the transactions are staged but certainly not the hoarder aspect.

I can't speak for anyone else or other episodes but none of the transactions I had with them were staged. Maybe I should have asked for more but I still have a lot of things to find homes for.

If you've noticed the items they highlight on the show happen to be ones they can talk about and explain some of the history. Other items may not be shown at all.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Whenever I see a 90 year old farmer with 3 barns worth of junk who's barely willing to sell something they pull out of a mud puddle I think of his poor kids who will have to deal with all that once he's gone.

I'm still going through my parents things and want to get it all wrapped up and thin some of my own stuff out so my kids would have to deal with it all. Been working on the shop for close to 16 years now and finally I can see the end in sight....

#105 4 years ago

No, they do not leave the items. If a deal is done they pay before they leave and take the items with them.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

And you know this how? Please don't tell me because you saw it on the show

I know this because this is the way they handled things with me. While I can't speak to other episodes, I can say they were fair with me. People ask about why other items aren't shown but there is only so much time in an episode. What would you have cut or taken out to make time to show something else? Should they have shown more things that weren't for sale? If you only get a limited amount of airtime doesn't it make sense to highlight more interesting and unique items? Maybe ones that can convey some history and then if people are interested can look up more detailed info.

Robert

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

And you know this how? Please don't tell me because you saw it on the show

I guess an exception would be if it was a really large item like a vehicle that needed to be shipped later.....

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

If we saw the episode you were in would we be thinking you are some old fart holding onto everything for dear life ? You have crap stacked around everywhere?

I hope I don't look that old! Maybe thinking about college for the kids is giving me gray hairs too soon. My episode isn't the one about the large pinball collection or pinball parts. It was after that.

I'm definitely selling. By the end of the day whatever I plan on keeping has to fit at home. Still have a couple games stashed at my parents that I need to make room for. Also have a few large lights left at the shop left.

1 week later
    #126 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Correct me if I am wrong, but earlier shows showed a graphic, what an item was picked for, what it was worth and then expected profit. It seems as though that graphic got dropped or limited in subsequent shows. If so, probably that graphic was just highlighting when the sellers were getting a bad deal and it did not help AP's rep to viewers. Great show, one of my favorites.

Maybe they only show that if they plan on reselling it? I'm curious what they would have estimated the selling price from the items from recent picks too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pickerssmart-businessmen-or-greedy?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.