4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by AlexF
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“American pickers,smart businessmen or greedy”

• Smart business 82 votes
      71%
    • Greed 34 votes
      29%

(116 votes)

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Downvoting morons should learn to speak English.

Grammar police posts are an auto downvote. Double downvote if it were possible. Triple. I would haggle a chicken for the chance to barter a triple downvote of that post.

#102 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

On that note, who has ever had to deal with a buyer in real life that employs the same stupid $5-$10 increments when trying to negotiate a sale on a $3000 pinball machine because they have watched it play out for a $300 item on AP?

I get people all the time negotiating with me in completely nonsense ways because they saw it on American Pickers or a similar show (I think there's one called Flea Market flip that's even more fake). I love the show of course but a lot of the negotiating on there isn't how it really works in real life, lol.

so they'll say things like "Is that the most you'll offer?" sometimes I mess with them and offer less....

#103 4 months ago

My favorite part of American Pickers, is how they'll go to somebody's house, buy 3 things, leave 10,000 things, tell the guy they'll be back, then drive 1500 miles down the road to buy 3 other things from somebody else. This is not believable to me.

If i'm gong on a operator warehouse raid, I'M BUYING EVERYTHING I mean I'm going to leave there with all the operators tools, his old stock capacitors that are probably bad, all the manuals I can find, whatever I can fit in the truck!

#104 4 months ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I always thought the American Pickers and Hoarders shows should merge. No way a building was packed with that much stuff, good stuff and garbage, just for the sake of a "show". Maybe the transactions are staged but certainly not the hoarder aspect.

They definitely don't pack the buildings for the show, those are real hoards they're finding, the purchases are staged though. I honestly believe most of the stuff they probably never actually even buy, they just pick out an interesting item, talk about it, haggle a little bit, probably give the seller whatever price they haggled and then leave the item there with them.

I haven't read up on it, but I think on Pawn Stars the experts they call in just bring in an item they own, you have a fake person try to sell it to the show, he calls an expert, the expert comes in and explains his own item, and then they do the fake purchase or negotiation for the show. They probably look for different and interesting 'experts' to bring cool stuff on the show, one time they had a guy who was an expert on shipwreck treasure who according to the show was local to Vegas (he just called him up to come on down). So they're telling you a shipwreck expert lives in the middle of the Nevada desert.

Part of the fun of the shows is bitching about how stupid they think we are

#105 4 months ago

No, they do not leave the items. If a deal is done they pay before they leave and take the items with them.

#106 4 months ago

The TV show is a SHOW, it ain't about reality. There is no reality about anything on television. There is no education on 'tele' vision, its all about advertising dollars. You are being sold, on a show, not 'reality'. Man, the abuse of the media/dium is amazing, and folks can't tell the difference without rational thinking.

#107 4 months ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

They definitely don't pack the buildings for the show, those are real hoards they're finding, the purchases are staged though. I honestly believe most of the stuff they probably never actually even buy, they just pick out an interesting item, talk about it, haggle a little bit, probably give the seller whatever price they haggled and then leave the item there with them.
    I haven't read up on it, but I think on Pawn Stars the experts they call in just bring in an item they own, you have a fake person try to sell it to the show, he calls an expert, the expert comes in and explains his own item, and then they do the fake purchase or negotiation for the show. They probably look for different and interesting 'experts' to bring cool stuff on the show, one time they had a guy who was an expert on shipwreck treasure who according to the show was local to Vegas (he just called him up to come on down). So they're telling you a shipwreck expert lives in the middle of the Nevada desert.
    Part of the fun of the shows is bitching about how stupid they think we are

There was one Pawn Stars where a guy was selling a guitar. The camera was on two other guitars hanging on the wall. Later on, with the same guy selling the same guitar, one of the guitars on the wall was different. I read somewhere, maybe on pinside, that that there might be 2 or 3 different shoots on different days to get that part of the episode set up.

#108 4 months ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

No, they do not leave the items. If a deal is done they pay before they leave and take the items with them.

And you know this how? Please don't tell me because you saw it on the show

#109 4 months ago

I know this because this is the way they handled things with me. While I can't speak to other episodes, I can say they were fair with me. People ask about why other items aren't shown but there is only so much time in an episode. What would you have cut or taken out to make time to show something else? Should they have shown more things that weren't for sale? If you only get a limited amount of airtime doesn't it make sense to highlight more interesting and unique items? Maybe ones that can convey some history and then if people are interested can look up more detailed info.

Robert

#110 4 months ago

I guess an exception would be if it was a really large item like a vehicle that needed to be shipped later.....

#111 4 months ago

I know this because this is the way they handled things with me. While I can't speak to other episodes, I can say they were fair with me. People ask about why other items aren't shown but there is only so much time in an episode. What would you have cut or taken out to make time to show something else? Should they have shown more things that weren't for sale? If you only get a limited amount of airtime doesn't it make sense to highlight more interesting and unique items? Maybe ones that can convey some history and then if people are interested can look up more detailed info.
    Robert

Very cool Robert, I wasn't trying to suggest they're ripping anybody off or anything, I was just saying I don't trust what I see on the show That's cool they were as nice in person as they are on the show.

#112 4 months ago

I know this because this is the way they handled things with me

If we saw the episode you were in would we be thinking you are some old fart holding onto everything for dear life ? You have crap stacked around everywhere?

#113 4 months ago

I guess an exception would be if it was a really large item like a vehicle that needed to be shipped later.....

There was one show where that bought an old car, really rare, blowing some smoke from the tail pipe. And they hit the road. They were headed north to somewhere. Part of the route was on US 66. I Google Earthed their point "A" and point "B". It was over 400 miles.

I have a hard believing that they drove all that distance in some old tub. I'm figure they had a trailer stashed nearby. but that is just a guess.
    ====================================================

I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I was to find out in Easy Rider, Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper did not ride those two Harley Panheads across country. When the cameras were not rolling those two bikes were on trailers. So much for Ride to Live:Live to Ride

....For the younger generation hanging out on pinside, Easy Rider was a movie that was made in 1969 where two dudes moved a large quantity of cocaine, unloaded their 2 rice burners for two righteous Harley-Davidson motorcycles and hit the road for New Orleans.....

Damn !! I just now see with Google that a local theatre is showing Easy Rider for the 50th Anniversary. Tomorrow night I'm going to the movies !

#114 4 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

If we saw the episode you were in would we be thinking you are some old fart holding onto everything for dear life ? You have crap stacked around everywhere?

I hope I don't look that old! Maybe thinking about college for the kids is giving me gray hairs too soon. My episode isn't the one about the large pinball collection or pinball parts. It was after that.

I'm definitely selling. By the end of the day whatever I plan on keeping has to fit at home. Still have a couple games stashed at my parents that I need to make room for. Also have a few large lights left at the shop left.

#115 4 months ago

Wait, now you’re telling me MOVIES aren’t real either?

#116 4 months ago

2 other points. usually when they give the bought for, selling for totals. The selling for is an asking price, people haggle with them and get lower prices as well. Also as was pointed out, they usually buy more than they show, if you watch, you will frequently see them loading things that weren't shown in the episode.

#117 3 months ago

My wife and I were in Nashville this spring, and saw several of the items we'd seen them buy on the show in the store. It was pretty cool, remembering the episodes. I asked the girls how often the guys were actually in there, and if they were as nice in person as they seem on the show. They said Mike is in there about 5 times a month, Frank rarely, and Mike is just as nice in person.

Both of them graduated in 1982, same as me, and I'd love to meet them. They go crazy over KISS and Star Wars stuff, we like the same kind of music, both seem like pretty down to earth guys.

We probably dropped about $250 in the store, all on American Pickers merch. Its VERY well set up to sell their merchandise. The entire store looks rustic, of course, and you'll be looking at a stack of "rusted" oil cans and all of a sudden realize they say "Antique Archaeology" on them. Lots of cool stuff though if you're in the area.

#118 3 months ago

jrpinball ... yes, barter. I am familiar with the English language and it’s contextual use. You, however, are not familiar with my interaction / experience with the Pickers.

I am a custom bicycle builder. Mike is a bike fan boy. We bartered...exchanging a few items outside the show screen time.

#119 3 months ago
    Quoted from Rody:

jrpinball ... yes, barter. I am familiar with the English language and it’s contextual use. You, however, are not familiar with my interaction / experience with the Pickers.
    I am a custom bicycle builder. Mike is a bike fan boy. We bartered...exchanging a few items outside the show screen time.

Better correct the possessive pronoun in your first sentence, or the grammar police are going to lock you up as a repeat offender

#120 3 months ago

Groovy looking bicycles you make indeed. What items did you trade, pray tell.

https://roadbikeaction.com/american-frame-builder-profile-groovy-cycles/

#121 3 months ago
    Quoted from Rody:

So, how was I supposed to know that you actually did barter with them? They generally don't do this on the show.
    Your initial use of the word was incorrect as you obviously confused it with haggling or negotiation. This is a common misuse, and my somewhat snide comment was not directed at you, but rather at the downvoters who apparently don't care about proper terminology.

#123 3 months ago

It's not all staged, I do know this. Some of it is, it has to be because its TV and they can't show them showing up to door after door with no one to sell them anything.

At the end of the day, questions like this make me scratch my head. Is everyone else greedy for doing a job in which they make money at? It's like the minute someone makes money at something that is a hobby for someone else, they are evil for trying to make any sort of living at it. Just think that through.
    That's basically what's being asked here.

1 week later
    #124 3 months ago

That last episode with the guy with the huge long building, holy shit. Mike called it the Olympic gold medal of man caves. What a space.

#125 3 months ago

Correct me if I am wrong, but earlier shows showed a graphic, what an item was picked for, what it was worth and then expected profit. It seems as though that graphic got dropped or limited in subsequent shows. If so, probably that graphic was just highlighting when the sellers were getting a bad deal and it did not help AP's rep to viewers. Great show, one of my favorites.

#126 3 months ago

Correct me if I am wrong, but earlier shows showed a graphic, what an item was picked for, what it was worth and then expected profit. It seems as though that graphic got dropped or limited in subsequent shows. If so, probably that graphic was just highlighting when the sellers were getting a bad deal and it did not help AP's rep to viewers. Great show, one of my favorites.

Maybe they only show that if they plan on reselling it? I'm curious what they would have estimated the selling price from the items from recent picks too.

#127 3 months ago

No one can sell this crap for ‘retail’ prices when it’s on a hoarder pile in a chicken coop.

The whole storyline of the show is that both parties got the price they wanted.

#128 3 months ago

If it’s on television, it’s staged to some degree. The cost to have even a small crew at a location is one of the production’s greatest expenses so with Pickers people have gone through and scouted the location in advance and probably pulled items out “to find” or even brought items so they have something to film.

A friend’s home was featured in This Old House having a bathroom sink replaced. The crew actually spent these days before they filmed replacing a bunch of plumbing that wouldn’t work with the new sink so that they could film the sink being an easy install. This is why it looks so simple on TV, and ends up being several google searches and trips to Home Depot when it’s your project.

#129 3 months ago
    Quoted from uptownsinclair:

A friend’s home was featured in This Old House having a bathroom sink replaced... This is why it looks so simple on TV, and ends up being several google searches and trips to Home Depot when it’s your project.

Huh...I've replaced several sinks without the "magic of TV."

1 week later
    #130 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Here is a Canadian antique dealer who is out there doing it on his own. No script writers. No TV crew. This guy is the real deal and can be interesting to watch. But if he was on TV, most people would flip to the next channel.

these are wholesome and good.

at the 21:36 mark of this video what is that 5 cent arcade game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=701&v=80RP81lNFcs

#131 3 months ago
    Quoted from cait001:

at the 21:36 mark of this video what is that 5 cent arcade game?

Exhibit Supply Dale Gun game
    http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/dalegun.htm

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 51.45
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Customs
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 289.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.00
    $ 129.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside