Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 273 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 87 days ago by mikeincali
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would you buy a full size American Girl pin?”

• Yes 28 votes
      18%
    • No 118 votes
      75%
    • I only need a pinball machine for my dolls 12 votes
      8%

(158 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220804_185951 (resized).jpg
    20220105_140439 (resized).jpg
    20220105_140418 (resized).jpg
    20220105_140434 (resized).jpg
    20220105_140451 (resized).jpg
    20220105_140443 (resized).jpg
    20220105_140414 (resized).jpg
    B965488C-AD63-45AC-8AB5-D618B4B3DD8A (resized).jpeg
    flipside (resized).jpeg
    BEA97775-8CCD-4841-863D-51F27B30620D (resized).jpeg
    20200227_191107 (resized).jpg
    E811B007-6AF9-455F-B26E-18A651AE567B (resized).jpeg
    AG Pinball SPI (resized).jpg
    AG Pinball Micro (resized).jpg
    20191230_183930 (resized).jpg
    20191230_173412 (resized).jpg

There are 273 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 4 years ago

I insisted that we get one of these for my daughter for Christmas. I popped batteries in to test it today. It's pretty cool.

#152 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

Looks like free shipping right now. $150.00 Total.[quoted image]

Everything over $100 is free shipping.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

I insisted that we get one of these for my daughter for Christmas. I popped batteries in to test it today. It's pretty cool.

My daughter wanted one. Santa isn't here yet, but something tells me he won't let her down

#154 4 years ago

I'm ready to see some family Christmas pics w/ happy kids playing pinball.
    Merry Christmas Pinsiders!

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

I'm ready to see some family Christmas pics w/ happy kids playing pinball.
    Merry Christmas Pinsiders!

Well she got a great 2 minutes of enjoyment from it. The she was dazzled by a Llama toy that twerks.
    23003 (resized).jpeg23003 (resized).jpeg23004 (resized).jpeg23004 (resized).jpeg

EDIT: Plunger is kind of screwed already. Good she jumps immediate into pin repair; I appreciate the realism of it.

#156 4 years ago

my wife bought me one for christmas........i just need batteries

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

........i just need batteries

C batteries aren't laying around the house like they used to be!

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

.i just need batteries

That’s what “C” stores are for. Convenience.

#159 4 years ago

My high score so far...

8F6A1861-0EA3-4C72-8CA6-4EC6F13C2FCD (resized).jpeg8F6A1861-0EA3-4C72-8CA6-4EC6F13C2FCD (resized).jpeg
    #160 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

My daughter wanted one.

Quoted from kermit24:

My high score so far.

So...was it really for your daughter?

#161 4 years ago

Haha. Mine went nuts when she opened it. Hasn't seemed to enjoy playing it yet because she's not very good at the mechanics. My high score is around 100K lol

#162 4 years ago

Unfortunately Santa did not bring one this year- we did get to play one at the American Girl store the other day!

23913761-49F3-4B2C-93D5-D22383DE54BC (resized).jpeg23913761-49F3-4B2C-93D5-D22383DE54BC (resized).jpeg
    #163 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

So...was it really for your daughter?

Damn. Exposed! But it is is in her doll collection, not my basement so that’s something.

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

my wife bought me one for christmas........i just need batteries

Check her top bedroom dresser drawer for any battery powered devices that might use size C.

#165 4 years ago

Step your game up, boys...

IMG_20191224_125852894 (resized).jpgIMG_20191224_125852894 (resized).jpg
    #166 4 years ago

We got in on the fun. I've yet to play.

6BF18D05-B588-4601-BE2C-840AAE642C2B (resized).jpeg6BF18D05-B588-4601-BE2C-840AAE642C2B (resized).jpeg25B0A8EB-2691-468A-B3C7-6DB7FDEDD153 (resized).jpeg25B0A8EB-2691-468A-B3C7-6DB7FDEDD153 (resized).jpeg
    #167 4 years ago

Highest ranked girls in the 12-18 month bracket!

30449EA4-1ED2-42BA-B384-8121A892D7D7 (resized).jpeg30449EA4-1ED2-42BA-B384-8121A892D7D7 (resized).jpeg
    #168 4 years ago

I made the mistake of taking this with me on all of my family visits today. It was a much bigger hit than I anticipated. I am pretty sure my brother is going to buy one now. My dad, who has never once flipped on any of my pins, did not want to let me take it home with me when I left! I have probably 300 plays on mine so far, with my best score being 422,XXX. I'm still looking forward to seeing someone try to take this thing apart.

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from EasternBloc:

Highest ranked girls in the 12-18 month bracket![quoted image]

That’s an awesome pic! I see the girl standing is giving out some pointers on gameplay.

#170 4 years ago

I got one for my 9 yr old daughter who loves it. My best is only 163k so far.

My wife said the same thing to me, Who really was this gift for???

#171 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Everything over $100 is free shipping.

I thought it was if you are over $125

#172 4 years ago

I may order another one for modification/experimentation.

I couldn't find much info about this site to know if it's a scam, but they've got the pinball machine listed at $70.
    https://lukaxo.com/product/julies-pinball-machine/?utm_source=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=Copy%20fsghsdfgsgsdfgsdfg&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=5741&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-6Cl9NrT5gIVipyzCh0GyQItEAkYBSABEgKPsPD_BwE

They appear to take PayPal, but want personal info before it directs to PayPal. If it's a scam, not sure what it is unless it's an attempt to collect your personal info and PayPal credentials (i.e. does it really go to PayPal.com or does it just present you with a login prompt and collect your credentials).

If it's legitimately through PayPal, it seems like there would be a layer of protection if nothing is received.

If anyone tries it, let us know if it's legit.

#173 4 years ago

^^^^ my thoughts beware. The only way I would buy from that site would be through PayPal. It does take a while to get your money back but it’s guaranteed. The only personal info I would give them is my address for shipping. PayPal has all your personal info they need.

#174 4 years ago

Too good to be true at $70. My guess it is a scam.

#175 4 years ago
    31CFF633-CC25-4A58-9104-6A22FB0605B1 (resized).png31CFF633-CC25-4A58-9104-6A22FB0605B1 (resized).png84049DA7-09BE-4465-886F-08C943EE0C9C (resized).png84049DA7-09BE-4465-886F-08C943EE0C9C (resized).png
    #176 4 years ago

1%? How can you go wrong with those odds?

First NIB in my house. Went to my daughter. She went nuts when she opened it Christmas Day, but it didn't come out of the box until Boxing Day. Then I couldn't get either kid off of it. I was pretty impressed with it. Metal legs, apron, rails, and coin door. Screen printed wood body instead of decals. Start button is solid and feels good when you press it. Flippers are pretty decent considering what they are. Pretty responsive and they are strong enough to get the ball to the top of the playfield every time. My son was even tap passing on them today. The plunger feels a little cheap but it seems to be holding up fine. I like that they put 6 digit scoring on the backbox, most companies would have just cheaped out and put 5 digits.

Kids played all day and the batteries are still going strong. My guess is the plunger will fail first. The only other thing I wish it had was glass over the playfield as the plastic is going to get pretty scratched up but it's understandable why plastic was used. High score is 282,xxx or thereabouts. I've enjoyed playing it every time I've gotten a turn. It's not like there are any rules, but there are bonus targets which gives you something to aim for. Overall, pretty happy with it. I think we will get our $200 CAD out of it eventually.

IMG_20191226_113106 (resized).jpgIMG_20191226_113106 (resized).jpg

IMG_20191226_113103 (resized).jpgIMG_20191226_113103 (resized).jpg

#177 4 years ago

It’s pretty funny this thread started as a semi joke and now that we have the machine in hand it’s probably exceeded most of our expectations. They executed this thing pretty darn well. No doubt they had it designed by a pinball person or consulted with them.

#178 4 years ago

I love seeing all of the pictures!

Our 10 YO didn't get the pinball machine, but she did get some other American Girl Doll stuff (including the bowling alley).

I am not surprised that the pinball machine works well. The AG stuff is probably the best-built toys in the entire industry. While the AG stuff is expensive the quality justifies the higher cost.

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

It’s pretty funny this thread started as a semi joke and now that we have the machine in hand it’s probably exceeded most of our expectations. They executed this thing pretty darn well. No doubt they had it designed by a pinball person or consulted with them.

Was there ever any confirmation that Stern had a hand in any part of this? I remember seeing that FB picture of Roger Sharpe with the AG pinball machine but I don't know what ever became of that.

#180 4 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I am not surprised that the pinball machine works well. The AG stuff is probably the best-built toys in the entire industry. While the AG stuff is expensive the quality justifies the higher cost.

My thought immediately after unboxing it was “man this thing is built like a tank, whew”

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Kids played all day and the batteries are still going strong. My guess is the plunger will fail first

I am still on the original batteries at 300 plays without any issues. The machine seems to be pretty good at conserving power with the automatic shutoff feature. The plunger itself is metal, but there's no sleeve so it feels loose. I put a small black tie wrap behind the knob which made it much easier to get my fingers behind it.

#182 4 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I am still on the original batteries at 300 plays without any issues. The machine seems to be pretty good at conserving power with the automatic shutoff feature. The plunger itself is metal, but there's no sleeve so it feels loose. I put a small black tie wrap behind the knob which made it much easier to get my fingers behind it.

I’m seeing good battery longevity too. But besides the constantly spinning doohickey between the pops I don’t think the lights and score display draw much power.

#183 4 years ago

Hopefully the American girl doll company doesn’t find this thread. They’ll be making new releases every year or two so that you can have a whole arcade. Once they realize this was bought for the nostalgic parents and not the kids they will expand the line of toys.

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

That’s an awesome pic! I see the girl standing is giving out some pointers on gameplay.

Yeah, it’s technically her game and she’s attempting to instruct her cousin on proper shooter rod operation!

#185 4 years ago

I saw someone else mention that it would be cool for someone to take it over with an Arduino. That would be a fun project.

I guess it's a matter of opening up the game to see what we're working with. I probably need to order another one before breaking my daughter's new toy.

If anyone else breaks one down, please share pics and info.

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I am still on the original batteries at 300 plays without any issues.

It actually has a counter?

#187 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Not that I’m aware of

I saw someone else mention that it would be cool for someone to take it over with an Arduino. That would be a fun project.
    I guess it's a matter of opening up the game to see what we're working with. I probably need to order another one before breaking my daughter's new toy.
    If anyone else breaks one down, please share pics and info.

As far as I got before I chickened out worrying about what wires might come off when separating the head and also battery wiring. Don’t know how much slack I have to play with, but I’d think if there was enough to build it then there should be enough to take it apart.
    7163605C-2CC3-4CDE-93B2-4C66A437F5D3 (resized).jpeg7163605C-2CC3-4CDE-93B2-4C66A437F5D3 (resized).jpeg29A66094-739C-419B-A8AD-7C78713FF585 (resized).jpeg29A66094-739C-419B-A8AD-7C78713FF585 (resized).jpeg

#188 4 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

No, this is just my estimate. I was keeping pretty good tabs on the number of the plays for the first few weeks.

Quoted from PinRob:

As far as I got before I chickened out worrying about what wires might come off when separating the head and also battery wiring.

So was it just the 4 screws on the sides to pull the playfield out? It almost looks like the siderails are snapped onto the playfield.

#189 4 years ago

Just 4 screws as seen by the empty holes in the bottom of the cab. Those correspond to the red holes you can see on the bottom of the gray plastic protector for the electronics. Flipper buttons must be out all the way and go gently as you work the shooter housing out too.

#190 4 years ago

I got one for Christmas (yes, for me, not going to lie) and it's really, really fun. I want to put it in my office to mess around with at work. It does have a couple of annoying flaws. The less annoying one is that the ball usually doesn't return to the shooter lane without tilting the game. Not a big deal when there's no tilt bob, but it would be nice if it worked better. The worse one is that the bottom bumper often does not register when hit directly from underneath, particularly from a left flipper shot. I am debating whether it's worth sending it back over that issue or whether that's just a common and likely inevitable issue. In general I love it and have played it quite a lot in the last few days.

#191 4 years ago

The head has quite bit of slack in the wire and a convenient connector between the two.

IMG_20191228_1636318 (resized).jpgIMG_20191228_1636318 (resized).jpg
    #192 4 years ago

The ball has to be directly next to the shooter lane before pulling the plunger. There is a little piece of plastic that pulls the ball over into the shooter lane as you pull back on the plunger. If it’s not right next to the lane the plastic piece that pulls the ball into the shooter lane won’t get ahold of the ball.

#193 4 years ago

My gripe is my upper gobble hole top left. If it goes in there I have to smack the left flipper button real hard and it sometimes will come out, but most of the time I have to tilt the machine to the right a bit. Seems the piece the ball rests on when in the hole is a tad too low.

#194 4 years ago

Backglass and pcb come out with the 4 screws in the back of the head.

This pcb may be the main controller. It looks like it controls LEDs directly, but there are pins labeled as SCK and MOSI, so it likely communicates with a pcb in the playfield via SPI.

I believe if this were to be taken over with an arduino, the entire main pcb here, with the display segments soldered in, would need to be replaced, unless you sever traces and tap into the pcb.

Then, if the SPI protocol is sniffed and deciphered, an Arduino could likely interface with the pf directly via SPI, so you'd just adapt it into the connector.

Side note: I have no idea what the 2 outer screws on the under side of the head are doing other than perhaps some structural support of the head. They don't appear to have been necessary.
    IMG_20191228_1649052 (resized).jpgIMG_20191228_1649052 (resized).jpgIMG_20191228_1653162 (resized).jpgIMG_20191228_1653162 (resized).jpg

#195 4 years ago

Getting the rails off seems like it will be a bit of an ordeal. I didn't snap a pic before I reassembled it, but the rails have hooks/brackets that hold the pf onto it. I believe with all underside screws removed, the pf would slide out of the front. I'm not going to be able to experiment further since it will keep the game down too long. I'll have to get another one to progress further on my end.

I believe a retheme would be feasible. The "backglass" appears to be a film or decal on the plastic, so perhaps could be peeled off. An alternative could also probably be made with a sheet of plexiglass and perhaps a bracket made via 3D printer.

They used a clever method of printing pf plastics and pop bumpers onto the pf "glass" plastic. That could likely be popped out and replaced with a different design, perhaps using waterside decals.

I'm not sure yet about the pf, but I imagine it's done similarly to the BG, where it's a film on plastic, or perhaps screen printed. A plastic sheet of the same thickness could be used instead and a new PF printed on decal paper or something.

#196 4 years ago

The upper left scoop does need coaxing to push the ball out in mine also. It will come out for me but it requires rapid and repeated tapping of the left flipper to jostle it out.

(Edited to add...) And yeah, I know where the ball has to settle to load correctly. It just usually doesn't settle there, which is kind of annoying. Not that big of a deal though.

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from Philo-Flipper:

And yeah, I know where the ball has to settle to load correctly. It just usually doesn't settle there, which is kind of annoying. Not that big of a deal though.

Mine doesn’t settle there every time either.

#198 4 years ago

$120 at ToysDepot if you really want it... Wife just told me “You’re not buying American Girl stuff Dan. That’s just weird.”

https://toysdepot.net/product/american-girl-julies-pinball-machine/

#199 4 years ago
    Quoted from SketchyMcDuff:

$120 at ToysDepot if you really want it... Wife just told me “You’re not buying American Girl stuff Dan. That’s just weird.”
    https://toysdepot.net/product/american-girl-julies-pinball-machine/

Can anyone confirm if that's a legit site? It doesn't have a much better rating than the one I posted earlier according to Scam Doc.

toysdepot.net (resized).pngtoysdepot.net (resized).png
    #200 4 years ago

Can anyone confirm if that's a legit site? It doesn't have a much better rating than the one I posted earlier according to Scam Doc.[quoted image]

I’d stay away.

There are 273 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-girl-pinball/page/4?hl=nc_pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.