IMG_20190117_204406 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204346 (resized).jpg
gloop3unexk01 (resized).jpg
fe011401277a (resized).jpg
06C8AE07-32F5-4EDF-9FF2-684947BDF551 (resized).jpeg
D5E1CE1A-7B19-451F-A83B-B0B1CC9A5CB8 (resized).jpeg
45DFBE8F-364F-4397-9392-0142506BA859 (resized).jpeg
fender-case-2 (resized).jpg
There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 17.
#301 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You probably won't loose any money getting this Strat deal, if you ever lose interest in guitar.
Every day on Craigslist there are American Strats used for $1000+, and they seem to be selling, no problem.
Look at these Charleston results: charleston.craigslist.org link
This $799 Strat deal does not come up in Google or on Adorama's search, so people are still paying more for a used instrument.
I bought 2 extras and I'm just leaving them sealed in the box for future generations.
Having a quality guitar makes learning 100x easier.

I thought about maybe getting one also and just putting it away. I think you are right, it is a great deal no matter how you look at it. I just feel Strat-heavy already with these 3 things.

3 guitars (resized).jpg3 guitars (resized).jpg

If I finally pull the trigger though, then I would like to ship it to you first so you can put on the roller guide. After you have first perfected the technique on your niece's guitar of course!

#302 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

If I finally pull the trigger though, then I would like to ship it to you first so you can put on the roller guide. After you have first perfected the technique on your niece's guitar of course!

lol, just send me the neck, not the whole friggin guitar....

#303 7 years ago

INSTALLING FENDER LSR ROLLER NUT

===========================

Installing the Fender LSR Roller Nut can be done either with conventional tools (razor knife, file, and hand saw) or with an electric router.

There are 3 tools you absolutely can't install without. You need:

An actual #0 Philips screwdriver (any other size will strip out the screw heads)

A #51 drill bit (that's a hair bigger than a 1/16")

A digital Caliper ($10 at Harbor Freight) http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-digital-caliper-47256.html

roller nut (resized).jpgroller nut (resized).jpg

#304 7 years ago

Unlock the tuners, detune, and allow all the strings to pop off the neck.

Using a #2 Philips screwdriver, remove the 4 screws from the back of the guitar's neck plate.

The neck is fitted into the body pocket snugly. If you are used to those old 3 bolt Fender necks, you are going to be very happy with the fit on this guitar.

Separation anxiety:

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

I wonder how many Pinsiders got the same April 21 2014 birthdate?

#305 7 years ago

sale appears to be over.

#306 7 years ago

Since there will be fine dust in the air of your shop, I'd suggest you slide the retention clip off the LSR and pour the bearings into a zip lock bag. No sense in getting the nut full of dust and crap.

This will also allow you to polish the nut to a high sheen. It's stainless steel, so buff like you would any pinball guide.

I read many people online lost the bearings and "had to buy an entire new nut".

These are just standard 2.4mm (3/32") Stainless Steel bearings, and are available at any local bike shop; 25 for $3. Do NOT buy a whole new nut....

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

#307 7 years ago

Using a 1/2" socket, remove the tuner retention nuts from the face of the headstock. Note that the tuners are staggered and get shorter as the strings get lighter. label them 1 through 6 if you think you will forget during reassembly.

Using a #1 Philips screwdriver remove the string tree (you won't be needing that ever again).

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

#308 7 years ago

The old nut has to be removed. It is just glued in with white glue.

If a player ever switches to lighter gauge strings, the nut has to be replaced, so this part of the job is easy "everyday" guitar owner stuff.

The urethane coating on the headstock touches the nut itself, so you need to score a line between the coating and the nut. If you don't, you might chip off a big chunk of clearcoat while taping out the nut.

Use a razor and score along the nut. Don't worry about cutting into the nut, you are throwing it away anyway.

4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

#309 7 years ago

Here you can see the neck in a vise.

Put the nut as close to the vise jaws as possible. You don't want to put a lot of leverage on the entire neck.

I used a hard rubber sheet to protect the neck from the wood jaws. Yes, I know the wood jaws are supposed to be a nice soft surface, but there is always odd trash embedded into the wood, and we don't want that imprinting into our fine neck.

Find a piece of wood to drive out the old nut. Don't use anything metal, because if you slip, you will be buying a new $570 neck.

I used a paint stick that you get when you buy a can of paint.

The first tap breaks the nut free, the rest easily push it out.

5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

#310 7 years ago

Here is the old nut free of it's neck.

The old nut has a radius to it's base. The new LSR has a flat base; this makes fitment much easier!

You can see the white glue in the old slot.

6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg

#311 7 years ago

Here is where you are going to need that digital caliper.

Fender gives all the dimensions in decimal inches, no easy metric measurements on this one (Hey, it's made in USA, right? Who needs silly Metric? ).

We need to make the nut slot wider (towards the bridge), and we need to make it deeper.

You can use the new nut to lightly score a line where the wood will be removed. Remember to score the line just slightly INSIDE the desired width - you can always file out a little wood, but you can't add it back in.

-

The new nut, although it has a radius on the top, has a totally flat bottom. This makes it easy to route a nice flat slot for the new nut.

Measure the depth of the new slot from the center of the fretboard, because the fretboard has a radius of it's own.

7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

Sale appears to be over.

No worries. Vid has a couple extras available...but it might cost you.

Quoted from vid1900:

I bought 2 extras and I'm just leaving them sealed in the box for future generations.

#313 7 years ago

You can use a regular hand saw, and file for this part if you want to.

Rosewood cuts like butter, so it's not like chiseling through some rock hard wood.

The new nut slot needs to be parallel to the frets and flat to the fretboard; so that's a job for an electric router if there ever was one.

There are 100 ways to skin the router guide cat, but to me, the easiest is to just use my dovetail jig.

It already has a clamp to hold the neck in place, and it's super easy to "square up" to the frets, insuring a squarely cut slot.

Here you can see the neck clamped in place, ready for a pass:

8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg

#314 7 years ago

The dovetail jig has a scale on the side so you can "sneak up" exactly on the .219" size.

The router itself has a scale to let you plunge into exactly .115" depth.

It took longer to clamp up the neck than it did to actually do the routing.

9 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg

#315 7 years ago

Press the nut into the slot.

Make sure it's not too tight (if you have to tap it in with a mallet, it's going to be too tight to shim it if you need to do this latter).

Make sure the mounting holes are facing the headstock.

Center the nut, and drill 2 pilot holes with the #51 drill bit.

Remove the nut, and drill the pilot holes down 1/4" into the neck.

The slot is too narrow to use a collar stop on the drill bit, so I used a piece of tape to mark my depth. You don't want to drill all the way through the neck, if you know what I mean.

10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg

#316 7 years ago

Unclamp the neck and vacuum up any dust.

Put the tuners back on (remember you need to install them back in the correct order).

Put the neck back on the guitar.

Push the nut back into the slot, but leave a 1/32" gap underneath.

Dip the nut screws into auto wax (they are so small that they might break if you have to drive them too hard).

Install the screws about 1/2 way, not tight.

Put the strings back on the guitar.

11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg

22 (resized).jpg22 (resized).jpg

#317 7 years ago

My butthole has been puckered watching your pics, holy cow. Nice work man.

#318 7 years ago

Tune up the guitar and check out the action.

Lower the strings by turning the nut screws until you find a height that suits your playing style.

Fender includes a bunch of stainless steel shims for you to adjust the action now or in the future (so don't throw the extras away).

Tighten down the screws once you find the perfect height.

-

The Fender LSR is great because it's the last nut you ever have to buy.

Normally, players shy away from trying heavier gauge strings for the top strings, because you have to permanently cut the nut for the larger diameter strings.

With the LSR, the strings ride on top of the ball bearings, so there are no slots to widen.

You can experiment, without any commitment, with any gauge strings you like.

You can also experiment with any string height without worrying you cut the slots too deep and now you have to buy a new nut.

A clever system, no doubt.

13 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg

Since I had my same model unmodified Srat, I compared it against my niece's LSR, to see if the **tone** had changed at all by replacing the nut.

Obviously, only the open strings would have a different tone, the fretted notes would be the same, fretted tone.

The LSR gives a slightly brighter tone and a bit more sustain over the the stock nut.

To my ear, through my 68 Plexi Marshall, my niece's LSR Strat sounded better than the stock Strat, but the difference is subtle. If you did not have the two guitars plugged in together at the same time, you probably would not be able to notice a difference.

#319 7 years ago

A good guide as per usual, Vid.

Just a note for anyone doing sort of thing on a guitar neck ... the measurements are crucial. The string "contact point" on the new nut needs to be at the same "contact point" as the original nut. Otherwise, you alter the scale of the guitar and the frets are all in the wrong place musically.

14 year old RD found this out the hard way when he installed a Floyd Rose on a guitar. Luckily it was a shitty Cort guitar so no major loss ... but lesson learnt.

rd

#320 7 years ago

After seeing the pics I would rather pay the $300 than to try this.

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Just a note for anyone doing sort of thing on a guitar neck ... the measurements are crucial. The string "contact point" on the new nut needs to be at the same "contact point" as the original nut. Otherwise, you alter the scale of the guitar and the frets are all in the wrong place musically.

Exactly.

Fender made it easy because you only have to widen the nut slot towards the bridge.

But if you were installing this on a brand new neck that did not have an existing slot, you would have to carefully measure to preserve the intonation.

(Although, if you are ordering a new neck from Warmoth, Musikraft, USACG or whoever, just specify Fender LSR when you order and it will arrive already routed and drilled correctly.)

#322 7 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

sale appears to be over.

That sucks.

It lasted a month, that's longer than I expected.

EDIT: it's back

http://www.adorama.com/fe118110710.html?sdtid=9149935&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

#323 7 years ago

Talking of guitar mods ... did I mention I used to make guitars?

When I was 18 and worked in the music store, there wasn't any of the cool guitars available here that I saw in the guitar mags. So I decided to make them.

Although I was a retailer (worked in furniture stores all my life, except for the 3 mths in the music store) I have always been a tinkerer. I got the high school "best woodworker" award and got the highest mark in the exams. And I had a shed full of tools to use.

I ran some Rhoads type Vs and some super strats. I made the bodies, and used ESP necks, dimarzio pickups and Ibanez trems. The strats and Vs were made from Honduras mahogany, same as Les Paul's. They sounded super sweet if I do say so myself.

After the first run, the NZ import laws changed and cheaper, good quality guitars started coming onto the market, so I quit making them.

This is all that I have left ... some things I was tinkering with. They have been sitting around for 25 years now.

1/ Tele body .. American maple body with flame maple veneer on top. Headstock done to match. I have gold hardware somewhere for this.
2/ Tele body ... American maple, routed out tone chamber, with two piece maple top.
3/ a Honduras mahogany strat .. this was a second (ESP changed neck size on me) so I experimented on it, including hand painting the big A on it lol. Hey, I was 18 ...

I only know one guy who has one of my Tiger guitars, and he still plays it to this day. His is the sister of the Anarchy guitar, same colour and style. I often wonder where the other ones are!

rd

IMG_3607 (resized).JPGIMG_3607 (resized).JPG
IMG_3605 (resized).JPGIMG_3605 (resized).JPG
IMG_3606 (resized).JPGIMG_3606 (resized).JPG
IMG_3604 (resized).JPGIMG_3604 (resized).JPG

#324 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Talking of guitar mods ... did I mention I used to make guitars?

How badass is that!!!!

#325 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How badass is that!!!!

Looking back, it's amazing how basic the process was.

For the Tele shape, I got a piece of 1/2" plywood and got a Telecaster in the shop, put it on the ply and traced around it with a marker. Then I cut it out with a jigsaw. Instant router template. I clamped the timber to the plywood, and ran around the template with my big hand held hitachi router with a roller tip bit. All the routing was done with a hand held router, my hands must have been steadier back then lol

Truely kiwi back yard craftsmanship.

rd

#326 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Truely kiwi back yard craftsmanship.

It's still super impressive and cool.

#327 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Tune up the guitar and check out the action.
Lower the strings by turning the nut screws until you find a height that suits your playing style.
Fender includes a bunch of stainless steel shims for you to adjust the action now or in the future (so don't throw the extras away).
Tighten down the screws once you find the perfect height.
-
The Fender LSR is great because it's the last nut you ever have to buy.
Normally, players shy away from trying heavier gauge strings for the top strings, because you have to permanently cut the nut for the larger diameter strings.
With the LSR, the strings ride on top of the ball bearings, so there are no slots to widen.
You can experiment, without any commitment, with any gauge strings you like.
You can also experiment with any string height without worrying you cut the slots too deep and now you have to buy a new nut.
A clever system, no doubt.

I am going to ship you mine for the treatment...send me the addy

#328 7 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

sale appears to be over.

I was thinking of ordering another and I had one in my cart, it appears I can still get it at that price. I can try and order it for you if you want.

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You probably won't loose any money getting this Strat deal, if you ever lose interest in guitar.
Every day on Craigslist there are American Strats used for $1000+, and they seem to be selling, no problem.
Look at these Charleston results: charleston.craigslist.org link
This $799 Strat deal does not come up in Google or on Adorama's search, so people are still paying more for a used instrument.
Having a quality guitar makes learning 100x easier.

Couldn't agree more. I have been playing guitar for over 20 years, all Les Pauls with a few off brands (ibanez, Dean), and figured some day I'd buy an American Fender. The used ones I looked at always were about this price or more.

So listing this deal on here made me do something I wanted to do for 20 years.. buy an American Fender. And I couldn't be happier with it now that I have it.

#331 7 years ago

Just ordered mine @ $799. Thanks Vid! I'm pumped to finally have a quality guitar after playing a pos Strat knockoff for 10 years.

#332 7 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

I was thinking of ordering another and I had one in my cart, it appears I can still get it at that price. I can try and order it for you if you want.

Really appreciate the offer. I was able to get that second link to work and got mine ordered. Too good a deal to pass up.

#333 7 years ago

Dammit. Please make it go away before I succumb.

#334 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Dammit. Please make it go away before I succumb.

Why torture yourself?

Get it, if you don't totally love it, sell it at a profit.

Or take it apart and make a franken-strat.

The neck alone is $570

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/necks/usa-stratocaster-neck-with-compound-radius---rosewood-fingerboard/0999000921.html#srule=price-high-to-low&sz=12&start=1&cgidx=parts-necks

#335 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Why torture yourself?
Get it, if you don't totally love it, sell it at a profit.
Or take it apart and make a franken-strat.
The neck alone is $570
http://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/necks/usa-stratocaster-neck-with-compound-radius---rosewood-fingerboard/0999000921.html#srule=price-high-to-low&sz=12&start=1&cgidx=parts-necks

I have been trying not to spend money lately and have been debating buying this since the thread started. This pushed me over the edge. Got one on the way!

#336 7 years ago
Quoted from Boiler415:

I have been trying not to spend money lately and have been debating buying this since the thread started. This pushed me over the edge. Got one on the way!

I'm sure you will love it.

Like my grandfather always used to say:

"Always better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't"

=
=

Scientific proof that my grandfather was right:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2001931/Why-IS-better-regret-youve-havent.html

#337 7 years ago

Vid, did you change the hardware to black while you had it all apart again? Or did she like the white better?

#338 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Vid, did you change the hardware to black while you had it all apart again? Or did she like the white better?

She likes the white on violet contrast the best.

She likes the Fender strap that comes with it. She thinks it looks old and authentic, lol.

#340 7 years ago

If you only have $449 to spend with free shipping, here is a closeout Fender Classic Player Strat:

F1120368X-P.fpx (resized).jpgF1120368X-P.fpx (resized).jpg

Super cool bound neck and painted headstock. Dual Humbucker pickups.

I don't think Fender has done a bound neck probably since the 1960s.

Again, odd color (Mercedes Blue), but for about the price of a HH Squire, who can cry?

I might buy one just for that neck.

http://www.adorama.com/fe141120368.html?sdtid=9245503&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

1 week later
#341 7 years ago

Pulled the trigger on this. It is amazing. Thanks again Vid for posting the deal. I really went back and forth on this one and honestly am so happy with the instrument. It plays like butter compared to my squire and sounds so rich and clear. It's a world of difference.

#342 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

It plays like butter compared to my squire and sounds so rich and clear. It's a world of difference.

I know what you mean.

I've got a cool orange Squire Strat that I bought for $50 at an estate sale.

I figured I could set it up and have a cool guitar that I don't have to worry if it gets stolen.

Even with the action and intonation properly set, it sounds like a piece of cardboard.

I can't figure out what part makes it sound so bad.

#343 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Even with the action and intonation properly set, it sounds like a piece of cardboard.

I had a 80s Gibson Les Paul like that.

It was my dream to have a black Les Paul like Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy. When I finally got one, it was pretty much tone dead.

In comparison, I had a Japanese made Tokai "Love Rock" 80s gold top Les Paul copy, and it was one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard. I sold it to the other guitarist in my band (ironically to find my tone dead Les Paul) and he still has it 20 years on.

Some guitars are winners ... some are not.

rd

#344 7 years ago

The Les Paul I want is the mermaid Blueberryburst HP: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/2017-Les-Paul-Standard-HP-Electric-Guitar-Blueberry-Burst-1500000030042.gc

I know from the Youtube videos that it does not stay in tune (just like most other Les Pauls), but look how cool even the case is!

$3200 (the price of 4 closeout American Strats)

preview2 (resized).jpgpreview2 (resized).jpg
preview (resized).jpgpreview (resized).jpg

#345 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I know what you mean.
I've got a cool orange Squire Strat that I bought for $50 at an estate sale.
I figured I could set it up and have a cool guitar that I don't have to worry if it gets stolen.
I can't figure out what part makes it sound so bad.

My wife said she can't believe the improvement - she was mad I bought the guitar because she thinks I suck so badly. Once I played it she was more than pleased since it didn't sound so terrible. Now that I have a decent axe to practice on I think I'm going to monkey around with the squire and see if I can get a better tone out of it. Is there a good website for tutorials on a proper set up for a guitar?

#346 7 years ago

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/212774786-How-do-I-set-up-my-Stratocaster-guitar-properly-

Make sure the guitar has been out of it's case for a few days to acclimate to the humidity of your house.

#347 7 years ago

I'll bet it sounds great. But once again I am coming to the conclusion I came to years ago - when it comes to guitar money, the best money I could spend would be not on more guitars, but on ----- LESSONS. More Lessons. God I suck. I have been playing for years, and practicing and practicing. I can play all sorts of scales forward and backward, all the chords, all that crap. But as far as making anything that actually sounds pleasant come out of the guitar, I just plain suck. And I can't get up to full speed or get the fast sweep picking going for the metal that I want to play. Sometimes I feel like selling them all off and just giving up.

Its worse for me whenever I go and see a real pro play. It makes you realize the gap is a thousand miles wide. I saw Brian Setzer play once and I swear when I got home I wanted to kick my guitars to pieces and light them on fire.

#348 7 years ago

Bookmarked!

A couple dumb questions I don't see addressed:

Am I supposed to remove the protective film that comes on the pick guard? I would think so, but some of it is pinched beneath other components...

I can guess that wild temperature fluctuations are bad, but do I need to worry about leaving in my heated shop, which is set to 58 degrees during heating season?

#349 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

when it comes to guitar money, the best money I could spend would be not on more guitars, but on ----- LESSONS

The best thing you could ever do for your guitar playing is to join a band.

Playing with other musicians will take your playing to the next level.

Playing scales only takes you so far. Locking into a tight groove with a drummer and bass player is the coolest thing you will ever do.

rd

#350 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I'll bet it sounds great. But once again I am coming to the conclusion I came to years ago - when it comes to guitar money, the best money I could spend would be not on more guitars, but on ----- LESSONS.

If it makes you feel better, I never had a guitar lesson in my life.

When I was a kid, I found an old tattered guitar chord book. I snuck my grandfather's guitar out of the house and would try to play in the park. A few months latter I was watching gypsy domra players in the street and they nodded me over to join them with my guitar. I was totally intimidated with their lightning fast strumming and strange language. They looked over my guitar suspiciously because it was not tuned at all, lol. One player would push my finger over to the proper position and then exaggeratedly show me when the next change was coming. There I was performing with one finger, rapidly playing single notes and hollering call outs in a language I did not understand.

I was terrible, but the thing I learned was that 'people want a show'. If you can meander into the audience backwards without tripping, raise your eyebrows at the ladies, get down low to play for someone's daughter in a wheelchair, or pretend that you are playing so fast you might have a heart attack (as the drummer laughs manically) - you will make money.

No one cares how good you are, only how good your show is.

-

And now for someone who is actually good:

Yngwie Malmsteen - Far Beyond The Sun

There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-fender-stratocaster-799-shipped-free/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.