IMG_20190117_204406 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204346 (resized).jpg
gloop3unexk01 (resized).jpg
fe011401277a (resized).jpg
06C8AE07-32F5-4EDF-9FF2-684947BDF551 (resized).jpeg
D5E1CE1A-7B19-451F-A83B-B0B1CC9A5CB8 (resized).jpeg
45DFBE8F-364F-4397-9392-0142506BA859 (resized).jpeg
fender-case-2 (resized).jpg
There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 17.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

85 watts and 2 twelves is a bit much for playing at home for me.
I've got a deluxe reverb at 22 watts and one twelve and don't turn it up past 4 much, plenty loud. Also has a 6 db boost on input 1 if needed.
If not playing in a band 15watts is all that is needed even 5 is good, being able to crank it a bit to work the tubes gets that good overdriven tone.

The Deluxe Reverb is a great amp!

But for the extra $100, I'd tell most people to get the Twin. Some extra watts you will probably never use, but the extra speaker is good - if you blow one, you can disconnect it and simply use the other.

Both amps are heavy duty and are still Made in USA

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

My 50w DSL Marshall can be heard about 4 kilometres away on a clear day. No idea why you'd need any more volume than that....
My ears have permanent tinnitus as it is ...
rd

My DSL40 is way more than enough for any small club. I use mine at home only and with the volume on 2 its pretty intense. One thing I have noticed is the sound is very directional. If you stand off to the side just a bit the volume is about half.

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If a person were going to learn guitar, is it better to do that on an acoustic or is an electric guitar ok?

I would say acoustic. The extra effort to push the strings will build hand strength and when you switch to electric you will find it very easy to play compared to the acoustic.
You will also hear your mistakes much clearer and that can only lead you to play better in the long run.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

and when I got home my head had somehow crashed down from the top of the truck and was right at the back door of the truck! That's like a 2 metre drop and a 6 metre long trip to the back of the truck, presumably all at the same time.

I once had my 200w Marshall Major head fall from the tailgate of my pickup to the asphalt.

(If you've never picked up a Major, it weighs 106lbs or 48kg)

The Major has both transformers on the same side of the head, so it's super unbalanced (the handle is of course in the center, making it worse).

It fell on it's end, and then onto its face. One knob lost it's cap, otherwise it was totally unhurt.

dumbest transformer layout everdumbest transformer layout ever

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

I am still waiting for someone to chime in after they take delivery. Hopefully vid will when he gets his today.

I'm still home on medical leave, so if it shows up, I'll post some pics

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'm still home on medical leave, so if it shows up, I'll post some pics

Please do, I have had my shaky finger on the checkout button many, many times in the last couple days Just need a little reassurance I think...plus, I will be away for a few days when it would be scheduled to arrive but I could have a neighbor grab it. Not sure if I need a Strat but I sure would like one

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from Riptor:

My DSL40 is way more than enough for any small club. I use mine at home only and with the volume on 2 its pretty intense. One thing I have noticed is the sound is very directional. If you stand off to the side just a bit the volume is about half.

Loudest amp I ever had by far was a Budda Stringmaster 30. HOLY CRAP it was loud. It didn't have a master volume either so it only sounded good ridiculously loud. I had to buy an attenuator for it to play anywhere that wasn't a huge club. My favorite small amp is a VOX AC15 but I also really like the 1x12 Fender Blues Deluxe.

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from Riptor:

There's lots of confusion with comparison of tube and solid state amps. I don't know if there's even an accurate conversion, but it seems like a 20 watt tube amp is just as loud as a 80-100w solid state. Maybe that's why you get some guys saying they need a 100w amp to be heard over a drummer and other guys with 20 watt tube amps looking at them like they're nuts.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

There's lots of confusion with comparison of tube and solid state amps. I don't know if there's even an accurate conversion, but it seems like a 20 watt tube amp is just as loud as a 80-100w solid state. Maybe that's why you get some guys saying they need a 100w amp to be heard over a drummer and other guys with 20 watt tube amps looking at them like they're nuts.

Absolutely, solid state tends to be "thin" where as Tube has nice punch and warmth to it.

#160 7 years ago

When UPS leaves this on your porch, your neighbors will know it's a box worth stealing.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

#161 7 years ago

The included "gig bag"

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

#162 7 years ago

Smells like fresh Lacquer, even though it's 2 years old.

Here is what you see when you first open the case:

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

#163 7 years ago

Headstock

4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

13 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg

If you've never had locking tuners before, it's odd not seeing 5 wraps of string around each tuning shaft.

17 (resized).jpg17 (resized).jpg

#164 7 years ago

Yes, the pickguard is a very pale shade of mint green.

5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

#165 7 years ago

Under that silver sticker disk is a loose spring that holds the Tremolo Arm from flopping around.

Don't loose it!

6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg

#166 7 years ago

Bridge Humbucker pickup

7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg

#167 7 years ago

Inside the case compartments:

Keys, Card Wallet, and silica gel

8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg

#168 7 years ago

You get 3 total rewiring cards included with the Strat.

Here is Cutter and Splitter inside the Card Wallet.

Normally, you rewire your Strat by soldering in different capacitors or making the selector switch do different pickups arrays.

Here you just flip some DIP Switches.

Very non-committal.

9 (resized).jpg9 (resized).jpg
10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg

#169 7 years ago

Thanks

trigger (resized).pngtrigger (resized).png

#170 7 years ago

Stuff inside the Goodie Bag:

Strap

10' cord

Polishing Cloth

Tremolo Arm

Truss Wrench

Bridge Wrench

Instruction Manual

11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg

#171 7 years ago

Backside

12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg

#172 7 years ago

Never thought I would thank anyone for showing their "backside."
Guitar looks like it was worth staying home to accept the delivery.

#173 7 years ago

Card Door

14 (resized).jpg14 (resized).jpg

Inside Card Door, showing installed Standard Wiring Card (this card gives you a stock, off the rack pickup and switch configuration).

15 (resized).jpg15 (resized).jpg

Under the card. Plenty of room for a 9v battery, should you ever switch out to Active Pickups (like EMG or something).

This is a great idea, saving you mega time routing out a pocket of wood from the guitar, like you normally have to.

And it's a lot less scary, if you have never routed a hole into an $1800 guitar before, lol.

16 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg

#174 7 years ago

Under the Backplate:

18 (resized).jpg18 (resized).jpg

You can see the Tremolo springs installed properly (if you ever see some clown with his springs installed with 2 diagonally, that means his center spring is doing nothing at all. It will probably fall out if he lifts up on the Tremolo Arm, lol).

You can also see the Green Ground Wire.

Just like a pin, you've got to keep all your metal parts at the same ground potential.

#175 7 years ago

Man, it even comes with one of the nicer hard shell cases as well........man, such a good deal

#176 7 years ago

The Pickguard from underneath:

20 (resized).jpg20 (resized).jpg

#177 7 years ago

21 (resized).jpg21 (resized).jpg

Neck Pickup (you can push those poles up and down to match your needs)

22 (resized).jpg22 (resized).jpg

Center Pickup

23 (resized).jpg23 (resized).jpg

Bridge Pickup

24 (resized).jpg24 (resized).jpg

Controls.

Note that the Pickups just plug in, with no soldering.

If you ever bypass the Card System, you would cut the wires from the plugs, and solder directly to the Control Pots.

Note also that even the Pots plug into sockets! Even they can be replaced without soldering.

Again, if you ever bi-pass the Card System, you would pull the Pots from the sockets and solder directly to the 3 conductors.

#178 7 years ago

If I've got one tiny bone to pick, it's that Fender left polishing compound in the pickup pockets.

I know 99% of owners will never look under the Pickguard, but, c'mon Fender, how hard would it be to vacuum up that compound before assembly?

Make sure you wax the entire guitar, even around the lip of the Pickup Pocket, with hard paste Carnauba Wax (like Blitz) before you reassemble. The wax will help prevent "pickguard rash" under the pickguard.

25 (resized).jpg25 (resized).jpg

#179 7 years ago

So how does it play?

#180 7 years ago

AWESOME. So glad I ordered this baby. Hell the case alone is (I'm guessing) probably $150. I was expecting a "hardshell" gig bag. My boy at Melody Music could not believe this deal ; surprised they're not all scooped up.
Super stoked !

#181 7 years ago

So that's the American Deluxe Plus Stratocaster.

It came out of the case actually still in tune! (pretty good for 2 years sitting in the box, and UPS probably kicking the thing all the way to my door).

It had a great paint job that I could not find a single scratch or flaw. You can, of course buff out any scratches with Novus2, just like any guitar shop does. I thought I would hate the "Mystic Black" sparkle, but it's very cool in person.

The Card Rewire system can indeed be completely bypassed if you somehow had all your cards stolen (you can actually buy the 3 included cards, and other oddball configuration cards at any Fender dealer) or if you wanted to go with Active (powered) pickups.

The extra room beneath the Cards is perfect for a battery if you needed it for Active pickups.

The freting was perfect, with no high or dead frets (as expected on an American Fender).

The string action was very low, allowing a dime to just barely pass at the 12th fret. Once the guitar sits out for a few weeks, I'll restring it with my favorite strings (GHS Thick N' Thins) and then adjust the truss rod and the bridge for lowest possible action.

The Deluxe Tremolo is great with it's included spring that keeps the Arm from loosely swinging.

It plays like liquid butter right out of the box.

I can't wait to restring, and really dig in to it.

-

A crazy closeout steal at $799

#182 7 years ago

I was on the fence; could I afford to save that much money? Then it occurred to me that here I have over two dozen damned pinball machines, yet I have never owned a nice guitar!

Well, when I put it that way, I thought hell, I'll sell a pin if I have to, but my days of only owning crappy guitars are over!

Order placed! Thanks, vid, I don't know where you got that link, but I sure appreciate you sharing! If you type the SKU into their own home page, you get the regular price of $1199, which they say is 20% off list! So this deal is like 50 bucks from being half price!

I'm stoked!

#183 7 years ago

Yes , Thanks. I realize taking all those pics, posting them, and actually disassembling parts of the fiddle to insure the quality is incredibly time consuming. All this when you have a new toy at your disposal you have been eagerly waiting for and I'm sure dying to plug in. I am not sure I would have had the patience. Thanks so much sir!

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hell the case alone is (I'm guessing) probably $150. I was expecting a "hardshell" gig bag.

Fender is not going to sell their flagship American Stratocaster in a gig bag lol.

Although, unscrupulous dealers love to try and upsell you the hardshell case separately.

"So, are you going to be needing a case with that guitar today.....?"

#185 7 years ago

When my daughter took 30 minute piano lessons last year at Melody, I would bullshit with/bother the dudes at the counter and we became friends. Saw a Dad buy his teen a fuckin GIBSON Les Paul and amp and Tucker handed him a gig bag. I was like...really ?? For a fucking Les Paul ?? Yep.
So that makes this deal even sweeter (if that's possible) because the last case I bought was $150. So boys and girls...that makes this a $649 AMERICAN DELUXE.
HOLY SHIT. THANK YOU VID !!

#186 7 years ago

Dang I need to drain this thread. Congrats guys.

#187 7 years ago

Just looked up this case. New: $120-$170. Pow.

#188 7 years ago

Cannot wait to see this pickguard up close. Black would be perfect, but I think this slight green tint will be the bees knees. Hot damn !

#189 7 years ago

So besides Hendrix and Gilmour ; who is yer favorite Strat slinger ?
I'm gonna have to go with Dave Murray, followed narrowly by Buddy Guy.

#190 7 years ago

I hate you guys

I haven't picked up a guitar in over 20 years, but I succumbed to the [non] peer pressure in this thread (and the fact that it was a killer deal) and just pulled the trigger on one. did the free shipping, so I'll probably have it after I get back from expo

now, to find an amp

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

My 50w DSL Marshall can be heard about 4 kilometres away on a clear day. No idea why you'd need any more volume than that....
My ears have permanent tinnitus as it is ...
rd

I agree...most people have no idea that a small watt amp can make your ears bleed..I'm with you on the ringing...boo

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Absolutely, solid state tends to be "thin" where as Tube has nice punch and warmth to it.

Quilter Labs, headed by the founder of QSC, has a line of solid state amps that's finally a viable alternative to tube amps. I bought their original MicroPro model soon after it became available a couple years ago and haven't seriously looked at buying another amp since (although I am contemplating getting another Quilter for a wet/dry setup). I've kept two vintage tube amps I'm fond of, a Rivera and a Supro, but I always grab the Quilter when I play a show. The guy who designed it cracked the mystery of making a transistor amp that sounds and feels just as good as a tube amp.

If you're thinking about investing in a good amp, I strongly recommend checking them out. If you don't want the spend the $$ but want something that doesn't suck, VOX Pathfinder is unbeatable in its price range. I would recommend staying away from any "modeling" amps, they're a lot like virtual pinball compared to real pinball.

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

SRV

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Rory Gallagher

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Deluxe Tremolo is great with it's included spring that keeps the Arm from loosely swinging.
It plays like liquid butter right out of the box.
I can't wait to restring, and really dig in to it.
-
A crazy closeout steal at $799

Actually the Am standards have the old style spring in the whammy. That spring should be in every Strat actually...even the cheaper Mexican and Indonesian models. The American deluxes have the pop-in bar which is nice as there is no spring to get lost and has an adjustable grip on the bar. They also have different solid saddles. So the close out ones are "hybrids"... Fender wanted to keep the price down since they added the card system so it's missing a couple things. The true "deluxes" should also have the rounded heel behind the neck, the S1 switching system and a lot have the roller nut (so the strings won't get stuck in the nut with whammy use). This closeout is actually closest to an American Standard with the nice addition of the locking tuners. Yet it's priced less even with the better tuners.

Except for the pop-in bar (which is great) the other deluxe features you can live without...like abalone fret dots

It's a good deal with the USA neck, electronics, etc... great deal buddy! Happy for ya.

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Malmsteen for me.

#197 7 years ago

Well since this thread has some legs and you guys appreciate Strats - here are some of mine:

The Am Deluxe FMT and QMT's are interesting. They made these from 2004 to 2011 (IIRC) and have the usual deluxe features... roller nut, sculpted heel, S1 switching, locking tuners, pop-in tremolo bar, yadda yadda but besides the pretty wood top on the body they were the only Strats (I think) to have ebony fretboards. I like the ebony as they have the hard snap of maple but a hint of the warmth of rosewood.
The last pic here shows one of them in the front (tobacco sunburst QMT).

Glad you guys like Fender!

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

FenderQMT (resized).jpgFenderQMT (resized).jpg

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Ritchie Blackmore is the king of the Strat.

rd

#199 7 years ago

Has anyone ever seen a closeout deal like this on a Gibson les paul? I'd really like a good excuse to buy one.

#200 7 years ago

Is that when you get hit on by a couple?

(bypass)

Well, I need something to do while I wait for my guitar! (I do suppose I could play pinball...)

There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-fender-stratocaster-799-shipped-free/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.