3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 829 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by zombywoof
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 301 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Photo_052506_002 (resized).jpg
Ace (resized).jpg
EBEF3E70-E174-4C3B-8D6B-65AA90857F28 (resized).jpeg
F8BD12D5-4249-4433-A1D8-4EFAE871697B (resized).jpeg
AA8147E4-9C3F-47C2-97ED-714A3288350A (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190119_181023 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204740 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204411 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204406 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204346 (resized).jpg
gloop3unexk01 (resized).jpg
fe011401277a (resized).jpg
06C8AE07-32F5-4EDF-9FF2-684947BDF551 (resized).jpeg
D5E1CE1A-7B19-451F-A83B-B0B1CC9A5CB8 (resized).jpeg
45DFBE8F-364F-4397-9392-0142506BA859 (resized).jpeg
fender-case-2 (resized).jpg

There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 17.
#101 3 years ago

I made this purchase last night. Need some advise, never owned an electric guitar before and really only messed around on my friends acoustic. What is the best option to plug this bad boy into?

#102 3 years ago

Get a nice pair of studio monitors and plug directly into your computer. If you have a Mac, the included GarageBand application is a good place to start. Later you can move up to Logic Pro and/or NI Guitar Rig. Using quality modeling software you can save yourself a fortune in cabinets and effects, not to mention you can get a nice dirty overdriven sound without disturbing the neighbors.

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

I made this purchase last night. Need some advise, never owned an electric guitar before and really only messed around on my friends acoustic. What is the best option to plug this bad boy into?

Good, solid, starting amplifier that will last and be versatile for a standard player, unless you overdrive it too much.
Not a el crapola cheapo Fender beginner amp, just on the lower end of the price scale overall.
Not a Marshall style "tube" amplifier either, so it is not anywhere near as fragile.
Use headphones to not piss off your neighbors.

Fender Mustang III 100-Watt 1x12-Inch Guitar Combo Amplifier
There is an updated programmed version now.
It will run somewhere between $260-350 in cost, depending if you can get it on sale for the lower side.

Another old saying of mine:
"A good guitar with a cheap amp will sound like #@!$, a poor quality guitar with a good amp can hide some of its flaws."

A1Vys1sTaTL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Righty's don't know the struggle of testing right handed instruments for feel,

Every Left handed friend I ever had who wanted to play guitar, I always told them to simply learn Right handed.

Having a dexterous Left hand makes it super easy to finger all the chords (rather than righty's lifting each finger into position).

...and most importantly, if you learn Right handed, you can pick up a guitar at any party and attract girls (or boys, depending on the party).

#105 3 years ago

Bizzarre Guitar in Phoenix Arizona sold me an American Standard Stratocaster brand new back in 1994 for around $800. I never could play it well, but I had a newborn boy in 2002 and just 12 years later the little goober grabbed it and played Jimi Hendrix Red House with the highly recommended worldwide School of Rock program...

Life is good...kids, music and pinball make it so....

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Good, solid, starting amplifier that will last and be versatile for a standard player, unless you overdrive it too much.
Not a el crapola cheapo Fender beginner amp, just on the lower end of the price scale overall.
Not a Marshall style "tube" amplifier either, so it is not anywhere near as fragile.
Use headphones to not piss off your neighbors.
Fender Mustang III 100-Watt 1x12-Inch Guitar Combo Amplifier
There is an updated programmed version now.
It will run somewhere between $260-350 in cost, depending if you can get it on sale for the lower side.
Another old saying of mine:
"A good guitar with a cheap amp will sound like #@!$, a poor quality guitar with a good amp can hide some of its flaws."

You're the first person I know that have the mindset Marshall *tube* amps are fragile.

#107 3 years ago

Woot ! Just ordered mine. I've never had an axe this nice....locking tuners and tremolo wooo ! Sure I really want a double humbucked screaming Jackson, but like Hougie said every axeman should have atleast one Strat, and since I'm a horrible guitarist, probably doesn't matter anyway. This one sure seems like a helluva deal. Thanks Vid you gigantic scary fuckin awesome tipster you !

#108 3 years ago

Momma says I can't open till Christmas.
Since I haven't picked up a guitar in a year or so,...plenty of time to re-learn all my H and J chords....

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Every Left handed friend I ever had who wanted to play guitar, I always told them to simply learn Right handed.
Having a dexterous Left hand makes it super easy to finger all the chords (rather than righty's lifting each finger into position).
...and most importantly, if you learn Right handed, you can pick up a guitar at any party and attract girls (or boys, depending on the party).

Sure Vid, just go ahead and learn left handed. It will be just as easy for you as it is for me to play tight handed.
Seriously though, easier said than done.

Free t-shirt with every guitar purchase at southpaw!

image (resized).jpeg

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

You're the first person I know that have the mindset Marshall *tube* amps are fragile.

Fragility due to heat cycling of the tube component, not durability of construction of the amplifier itself.
At least not anymore, unless it is an antique guitar amplifier.
Some tubes are more fragile than others regarding temperature changes and filaments.
A tube amp installed the cabinet is not going to have problems unless someone is reckless or clumsy.
This applies to any manufacturer.

Elektronenroehren-auswahl (resized).jpg

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I thought so, but it didn't work that way for me. I even had that same thought... "Maybe this is an advantage, I have a dexterous left hand!". I flailed for a long time before I tried a left handed guitar and it just felt so natural.

Hendrix only had access to a right handed guitar and flipped it instead of learning righty, Tony Iommi made fake fingertips to continue playing left handed. Those kind of things make me think its different for everyone. Have a lot of left handed players taken your advice and been successful?

Edit to add... If you ever see me being beach/party guitar guy, please grab it from me and El-Kabong me with it. I don't wanna be that guy! lol

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Bizzarre Guitar in Phoenix Arizona sold me an American Standard Stratocaster brand new back in 1994 for around $800. I never could play it well, but I had a newborn boy in 2002 and just 12 years later the little goober grabbed it and played Jimi Hendrix Red House with the highly recommended worldwide School of Rock program...
» YouTube video
Life is good...kids, music and pinball make it so....

Your kid is awesome. So cool to see. Next time you record video, turn the phone horizontal.

#113 3 years ago

I checked with my boy at my local shop here in lovely southern IN and he couldn't come off $1200 either. Smoking hot deal o the year for my fellow feet shufflers, no shit.
My boy said these were made in 2014 and are discontinued. Still brand new and buttery smooth baby better believe it.

#114 3 years ago

If a person were going to learn guitar, is it better to do that on an acoustic or is an electric guitar ok?

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

If a person were going to learn guitar, is it better to do that on an acoustic or is an electric guitar ok?

Better on acoustic. Its much easier imo to go from acoustic to electric than the opposite.

#116 3 years ago

Electric. You can hide yer fuck ups...acoustic....gonna hear em all.

#117 3 years ago

But get .46 strings so you'll be ready for an acoustic.

#118 3 years ago

Can anyone post a link to purchase their suggested amp for this guitar?

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

As long as you don't overfuse it and melt the transformer windings, tube amps are the most serviceable thing ever invented.

Many solidstate amps get a shorted power transistor and take a whole circuit board out with it.

My Plexi Marshalls don't even have any foil traces on the circuit board to burn up.

They will last forever.

Plexi50 (resized).jpg

#120 3 years ago

Mesa Boogie Mark V with full Marshall 1960 cabinet.

#121 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Electric usually have lower string to fret distance, and lighter gauge strings.

Thus electric is usually much easier to learn, because it requires MUCH less finger pressure.

-

(there are acoustic guitars with low string action, but they are generally $$ instruments)

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

Can anyone post a link to purchase their suggested amp for this guitar?

What kind of music do you play?

Metal? Funk? Jazz?

#123 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What kind of music do you play?
Metal? Funk? Jazz?

Consider me a newb, i cant play anything but i think it would be basic stuff, no metal. I like the sound of country

#124 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Play what it is you want to play.
Just like in pinball.

I wish I would have made that a haiku!

#125 3 years ago

Country ?
Like Hank Sr. or Hank Snow ?

#126 3 years ago

I would check out Hank Rollins. Greatest country vocals ever.

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Acoustic, builds finger strength and callouses. Learn to play some light country and rock, and then get an electric and practice "Johnny B. Goode".

Eventually you will be playing "Free Bird".

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Your kid is awesome. So cool to see. Next time you record video, turn the phone horizontal.

Maybe a shout out to the School of Rock programs across the world will help sales:

School of Rock offers excellent music lessons with three seasons each year where the local school does a performance of a selected theme of rock songs. The thinking is its great to practice your music all the time, but to be able to play it with a group is as playing a team sport with regular practice. Great for kids to find a hidden talent and possibly give a kid a different better direction. Kids up to age 18 are able to join. Adult programs too. If your good enough you can make the House Band for the local area of SORs and play gigs locally. The house band in Arizona are the Sugar Skulls. Audition for the School of Rock AllStars each year and if your selected (<1%) you tour the USA for a week in late July. My son can play guitar but is too lazy. He can sing well and made it to the School of Rock Allstars this summer on Team 666 as a male lead singer, where they ended their tour at Lollapalooza in Grant Park Chicago July 30 this year. He sang Bowie's Suffragette City:

He was also at The Wire in beautiful Berwyn (I lived in McCook) singing Steely Dan, Don't Take Me Alive. These kids are some of the very best at SOR and all under 18.

BTW: Chicago SOR ROCKS!! check it out for fun.

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Play what it is you want to play.
Just like in pinball.
I wish I would have made that a haiku!

Totally agree with that! If you don't like acoustic music, get an electric. You need to get something you're going to want to pickup and play. Even though I can appreciate the difficulty of jazz and fingerpicking, acoustic doesn't really appeal to me.

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

Consider me a newb, i cant play anything but i think it would be basic stuff, no metal. I like the sound of country

Strongly think about a Fender Twin Reverb.

It's tube, so it will last the rest of your life. (there is nothing fragile about pro tube amps. All professional musicians tour with with tube amps BECAUSE they are bulletproof)

It has great Country, Rock and Jazz tones.

It's a pro amp. You can drop it, tour with it, fnck on it, record an album with it.

Every tech knows this amp inside and out, they don't have to look at a schematic. Tons of mods for it. Every replacement part is available for it.

They have made them for 60 years because pros know it's a dependable, unkillable workhorse.

New $1200 Used $650

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0217300000?siid=4170

0217300000_xl-0872bf62d4dd66a595b54a9ba0fddf53 (resized).jpg

#131 3 years ago

I just bought a new Les Paul Standard in honey burst. Its an amazing sounding guitar right out of the box. I also have a Epiphone les paul (got it around 1998 or so) and its a really great guitar after a few upgrades. Locking tuners, dmarzzio's, new pots, etc. It does have one fret that will hang a string occasionally.
Im not really a fender guy but I have pondered on picking up an american strat at some point. Anyone else have a statacoustic? Love mine, its my beater and gets more use than any of my other guitars. I added a brass nut and brass pegs...what a huge difference they made to the tone.
Im currently fixing up an old Japanese hummingbird clone.

I have a couple Marshall Amps. One is an 80's solid state. It sounded good until I got my Marshall tube amp and now I cant stand the sound of the SS amp. The DSL40C is a hell of a buy for a tube amp. Check it out if you get a chance to play one.
https://marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/dsl-series/dsl40c/

#132 3 years ago

This is actually turning into an interesting, informative, and refreshing thread on PinSide for many reasons or maybe just the trolls are not into guitar.

Either way its a win.

New term, "Pinguitar Heads."
Keep it strumming.

#133 3 years ago

Fragility due to heat cycling of the tube component, not durability of construction of the amplifier itself.
At least not anymore, unless it is an antique guitar amplifier.
Some tubes are more fragile than others regarding temperature changes and filaments.

Sorry man, I've got to call BS on all of that.

The tubes chosen for guitar amps have proven themselves NOT FRAGILE AT ALL after 60 years of road use.

They get turned on and heated to 300°F after being frozen in the van all day, they clearly are not damaged by heat cycling.

Tubes sound best when blazing hot!

Go see any professional touring band. Fender, Marshall, Mesa, VHT, all tube, all the time......

#134 3 years ago

This is actually turning into an interesting, informative, and refreshing thread on PinSide for many reasons or maybe just the trolls are not into guitar.

The trolls will soon find this thread, and the mods will lock it down.

They are the reason we can't have nice things.

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The tubes chosen for guitar amps have proven themselves NOT FRAGILE AT ALL after 60 years of road use.

Gotta agree there. I've always had tube heads, and the same 1977 made Marshall quad with greenbacks (I bought it used in 85 with a 100w master volume head)

After one gig, I had the head up in the top of my box body truck (the type with the extended of over the cab) The head was right up the top part. Anyways, we were driving home from a 6 hour gig out in the country somewhere along 40 miles of windy and hilly roads, and when I got home my head had somehow crashed down from the top of the truck and was right at the back door of the truck! That's like a 2 metre drop and a 6 metre long trip to the back of the truck, presumably all at the same time.

I thought, well, that'll be f**ked. Nope, plugged it in and away she went without a hitch.

Can't remember whether it was my 50w Marshall or my 60w Rivera head. Both were bullet proof.

rd

#136 3 years ago

Solid state amps have there place but i agree on the tube amp issue..they are the best. If you want to have life in your sound you cannot beat a tube amp. You can play a solid state soft or hard and it sounds the same but tubes react with your fingers or pick attack..you can really make them breathe. Allot of big acts use a small tube amp miced through a pa. My 18 watt dr z maz18 will handle any mid sized club easily..there's really no need for 500 watts of power imho.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's tube, so it will last the rest of your life. (there is nothing fragile about pro tube amps. All professional musicians tour with with tube amps BECAUSE they are bulletproof)
It's a pro amp. You can drop it, tour with it, fnck on it, record an album with it.
Every tech knows this amp inside and out, they don't have to look at a schematic. Tons of mods for it. Every replacement part is available for it.
They have made them for 60 years because pros know it's a dependable, unkillable workhorse.
New $1200 Used $650
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0217300000?siid=4170

Those things are HEAVY! Awesome but heavy..hey roadie...grab that for me!

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from Brazy:

My 18 watt dr z maz18 will handle any mid sized club easily..there's really no need for 500 watts of power imho.

My 50w DSL Marshall can be heard about 4 kilometres away on a clear day. No idea why you'd need any more volume than that....

My ears have permanent tinnitus as it is ...

rd

#139 3 years ago

fyi:
the deal that vid posted is good until the 10th of this month.

what's really strange is that I visited the link, and not 10 mins later had an email from adorama.com in my inbox without ever giving up any of my email or other contact information. I'm not quite sure how that happened, because even with cookies, wouldn't it be a breach of privacy for them to strip off my contact information without my knowledge?

the email even states "Come back and take advantage of our LARGE SELECTION, GREAT PRICES AND FAST SHIPPING!"

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

85 watts and 2 twelves is a bit much for playing at home for me.
I've got a deluxe reverb at 22 watts and one twelve and don't turn it up past 4 much, plenty loud. Also has a 6 db boost on input 1 if needed.
If not playing in a band 15watts is all that is needed even 5 is good, being able to crank it a bit to work the tubes gets that good overdriven tone.

#141 3 years ago

Anxious for a review........anyone have theirs yet?

#142 3 years ago

I bought one for my son - he's VERY happy.

#143 3 years ago

I have to totally agree on going with a tube/valve amp, you will regret it in the future otherwise. Best sound by far and are quite robust.

#144 3 years ago

At this price, if anyone has ordered one and received it, is it definitely USA made?

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

wouldn't it be a breach of privacy for them to strip off my contact information without my knowledge?

It feels like it, but it's not. Visitor Intelligence is how we refer to the tech, and if you google the term you'll see how big of an industry it is.

#146 3 years ago

The key word here is "Sweetwater".
Non-pushy knowledgeable technicians that will answer ANY question you need, even if they have to get back to you.

I spent a fair amount of money on some analog synth stuff a few months back and my sales rep woke me up with a phone call the other day. He was very helpful but I work nights so I found a 10 a.m. phone call a little pushy but he did let know about some cool new stuff.

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

At this price, if anyone has ordered one and received it, is it definitely USA made?

I am still waiting for someone to chime in after they take delivery. Hopefully vid will when he gets his today.

#148 3 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

I am still waiting for someone to chime in after they take delivery. Hopefully vid will when he gets his today.

We took delivery last night. Yes, it is made in the USA.

My daughter loves it.

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

fyi:
the deal that vid posted is good until the 10th of this month.
what's really strange is that I visited the link, and not 10 mins later had an email from adorama.com in my inbox without ever giving up any of my email or other contact information. I'm not quite sure how that happened, because even with cookies, wouldn't it be a breach of privacy for them to strip off my contact information without my knowledge?
the email even states "Come back and take advantage of our LARGE SELECTION, GREAT PRICES AND FAST SHIPPING!"

I have had this happen a few times with other companies.

If I don't want to receive their emails I just block their address. I never really gave it much thought.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

I spent a fair amount of money on some analog synth stuff a few months back and my sales rep woke me up with a phone call the other day. He was very helpful but I work nights so I found a 10 a.m. phone call a little pushy but he did let know about some cool new stuff.

We shut our phones when we are going to bed.

I always tell friends and family that we should never be listed as the number one contact in an emergency.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 99.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 1,000.00
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 60.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 109.99
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside