3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 829 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by zombywoof
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 301 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Photo_052506_002 (resized).jpg
Ace (resized).jpg
EBEF3E70-E174-4C3B-8D6B-65AA90857F28 (resized).jpeg
F8BD12D5-4249-4433-A1D8-4EFAE871697B (resized).jpeg
AA8147E4-9C3F-47C2-97ED-714A3288350A (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190119_181023 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204740 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204411 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204406 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204346 (resized).jpg
gloop3unexk01 (resized).jpg
fe011401277a (resized).jpg
06C8AE07-32F5-4EDF-9FF2-684947BDF551 (resized).jpeg
D5E1CE1A-7B19-451F-A83B-B0B1CC9A5CB8 (resized).jpeg
45DFBE8F-364F-4397-9392-0142506BA859 (resized).jpeg
fender-case-2 (resized).jpg

There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.
#551 2 years ago

American Stratocaster HSS $629 + free shipping

===================================

They must be down to the last ones, because this price is insane, and lower than that deal a few weeks ago. No case with this one.

· 9.5"-radius maple fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets
· Texas Special single-coil neck and middle Stratocaster pickups
· Atomic humbucking bridge pickup
· Five-way pickup switch
· Grease bucket tone circuit (rolls off highs without adding bass)
· Vintage-style synchronized tremolo bridge

https://www.adorama.com/fe0115702300.html?sdtid=9992632&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

zz1 (resized).jpg

#552 2 years ago

If you paid $699 a month ago, call Adorama and get a $70 credit

#553 2 years ago

That thing is $1,000 everywhere else. That's a great deal for that American Strat. I think for <$100 you could swap out for the locking tuners like the first one we got here has.

#554 2 years ago

Anyone ever play through a Mesa Boogie Stiletto head? Found one for $650 thinking it's a deal.

2 weeks later
#555 2 years ago

I got a guitar score on this USA trip.

Been looking for a good deal on a 7 string Jeff Loomis signature metal guitar.

Got one from http://www.gearorphanage.com

The Jeff Loomis retails at $1500 ... guitar centre has them for $1199 at the moment.

I got a slight second from Gear Orphanage for $760 shipped from LA to Texas for me to take home .. and no sales tax either!

It has a tiny blemish on it .. hardly noticeable.

Floyd, EMGs, swamp ash body, metal cross inlays, neck through construction.

\m/

rd

IMG_5423 (resized).JPG

IMG_5425 (resized).JPG

IMG_5426 (resized).JPG

#556 2 years ago

Wow, that thing looks badass!

#557 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Wow, that thing looks badass!

26.5" scale so you can downtune it to make devil-like sounds ...

rd

#558 2 years ago

Looks super cool.

I'm still learning, working on memorizing chords and getting my fingers to the places they need to be in time for the notes.

#559 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Looks super cool.
I'm still learning, working on memorizing chords and getting my fingers to the places they need to be in time for the notes.

I've been playing for 30 years and I'm still trying to figure that stuff out.

rd

#560 2 years ago

That's a beauty ! I just picked up an ibanez s970w for $970 cnd , originally they sold for $2900 in Canada , its new old stock , just waiting for it to show up !

IMG_0392 (resized).JPG

#561 2 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

That's a beauty ! I just picked up an ibanez s970w for $970 cnd , originally they sold for $2900 in Canada , its new old stock , just waiting for it to show up !

Man, sweet looking guitar.

I remember when the original Sabres came out around 1987. They were all Japanese made back then. Satriani and Frank Gambale were endorsing them.

I went to buy the first one that came to NZ back then ... but it didn't give me the vibe (sometimes they don't ..) so I bought a lovely Japanese made Charvel Fusion Deluxe instead. Same blue as the photo. That was a sweet guitar ... then a few years later I traded that on the USA Jackson Ltd88 that I still own today.

rd

IMG_5607 (resized).JPG

#562 2 years ago

I've never played a charvel , but they look nice , jacksons are fantastic too . Nice to re strike the match that burned out 20 some odd years ago , all thanks to this thread too !

1 week later
#563 2 years ago

Now you've got your new guitars, Satchel has some good tips for you ....

Some gold here.

rd

#564 2 years ago

Good. Pretty silly but I liked it

#565 2 years ago

The woman wants a Violin, any recommendations?

#566 2 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The woman wants a Violin, any recommendations?

Jeff Loomis Signature Guit errrr violin ...

rd

IMG_5425 (resized).JPG

#567 2 years ago

It is up-side-down. Is there a Northern Hemisphere version?

#568 2 years ago

20% off from SamAsh or Musicians Friend coupon code on ebay : PLAYMUSIC20

This Coupon is a 20% discount valid from 8:00am April 24, 2017 until 11:59pm on May 3, 2017. Discount applies to the purchase price (excluding shipping, handling, and taxes) of an eligible item(s) of $25 or more on eBay.com. Eligible items are items(s) purchased from the sellers listed below. The discount will be applied to eligible item(s) only and will be capped at a value of $250.

Sellers for Coupon redemption:

butlermusic
kkmusicstore
quinntheeskimo
imperial_vintage_guitars
bestpickguitars
Sam_ash_nyc
Samashqueens
Samashbrooklyn
Sam_ash_quikship
samashcarleplace
samashwhiteplains
Sam_ash_nj
SamASh13-1
SamASh14
Samashflorida
SamAsh34
SamASh37
SamASh39
SamASh42
Sam_ash_stores
SamAsh51
SamAsh54
SamAsh55
SAmASh59
SamASh60
SamAsh82-1
SamASh95
SamAsh61
rockystreetsounds
musicgroup1
musiciansfriend

How to redeem your Coupon:

1. Shop for eligible items from specific sellers as listed above.

2. Pay for your item with PayPal by 11:59pm PT on May 3, 2017.

3. Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: PLAYMUSIC20

#569 2 years ago

Just stumbled upon this. Thought the unofficial(official?) pinside guitar club might appreciate

I don't listen to much metal, but I enjoyed the video.

The History of Metal in One Song

#570 2 years ago

Since guitars are much more affordable at my level than pinballs these days, I took a chance on buying a chinese knock-off of a higher end guitar as an experiment.

I only received it today, but so far I am pretty happy. I am still learning to play so I can't really give any kind of valid opinion on it other than it looks good and stays in tune.

newguitar (resized).jpg

#571 2 years ago

Nice, when you go to change strings some day be prepared for a pain in the ass unless you use the same gauge strings that floating Floyd rose makes it tough. Check some you tube vids for that.
Strings should be good for a year at least. Clean the underside of them when you're done playing to prolong there life.

#572 2 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Nice, when you go to change strings some day be prepared for a pain in the ass unless you use the same gauge strings that floating Floyd rose makes it tough. Check some you tube vids for that.
Strings should be good for a year at least. Clean the underside of them when you're done playing to prolong there life.

Thanks for the tip, I just googled floyd rose string change on your advice and found a ton of information!

#573 2 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

Nice, when you go to change strings some day be prepared for a pain in the ass unless you use the same gauge strings that floating Floyd rose makes it tough

The trick is, use the same gauge (probably 9-42s) and only change one string at a time. Keeps the tension on the Floyd springs and saves any problems.

How much was the chinese SG Wolfmarsh? Come off Alibaba? Do the "EMGs" use a 9v battery?

rd

#574 2 years ago

The Chinese knock-offs really are probably much better than a lot of people give credit for. There probably is more variability from one to the other within a specific model and they might need some setup work to be tweaked. I had a super cheap Chinese Strat knock-off and I when I got the Fender Strat deal that Vid originally posted here I did a lot of comparing the two side by side. There is no doubt that the Fender American had better quality in many areas and obviously some of the components are higher quality. But still, the Chinese one really made a pretty good comparison visually side by side. Most people would never see much difference, and you have to look under the plates to see things like sloppy router cutouts. Heck those aren't visible normally anyway.

As far as playing them, I played them back and forth a number of times, with and without distortion. I didn't see any particular difference either in the playability or the sound. Keep in mind I am far from a pro. But I do think that especially for a beginner its a good way to go, especially if you can be sure everything is set up correctly. You can spend some time with a nice guitar and see if you like that style for hardly any money. There always will be a chance to get another fancier guitar later if you get it into it.

I sold the Chinese one off at a garage sale, a young kid was happy to get it and I'm glad to see someone get some fun of it. I still have plenty of guitars, I'm trying to avoid that habit of ending up with a collection of them all over the house.

#575 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The trick is, use the same gauge (probably 9-42s) and only change one string at a time. Keeps the tension on the Floyd springs and saves any problems.

Yes I agree 100%.
I bought my first axe with a Floyd rose a few months ago, it was used off eBay. I played it for a few days, it played great so i had a few beers and went to put my choice of strings on (10-46) and was not able to finnish the job until the next day.

image (resized).jpg

#576 2 years ago

There is no way they are real EMG pickups, and no 9v battery to be found.

On the plus side, I was able to restring it relatively easily and get it tuned back up. The strings that came on it were making my fingers black. Thanks for all the tips on the floyd rose. Luckily it came with exactly the strings I wanted to put on it, 9-42 as RotorDave suggested.

I paid $298 for the guitar from a seller on Aliexpress, but don't buy one because I did, this may be an absolutely crap guitar. I won't really know what someone familiar with guitars thinks of it for a couple of weeks, but I just got done playing a few songs after restringing it and I am enjoying it. I'm pretending I'm Angus of course.

#577 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I paid $298 for the guitar from a seller on Aliexpress, but don't buy one because I did, this may be an absolutely crap guitar.

It looks great!
I'll bet it plays awsome!
If it looks like the guitar you want to play that's the guitar you want!
Congratulations on your new purchase!

#578 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm pretending I'm Angus of course.

Angus would be angry with the Floyd.

rd

#579 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Since guitars are much more affordable at my level than pinballs these days, I took a chance on buying a chinese knock-off of a higher end guitar as an experiment.
I only received it today, but so far I am pretty happy. I am still learning to play so I can't really give any kind of valid opinion on it other than it looks good and stays in tune.

A fake Gibson that stays in tune is already doing better than a real Gibson.

Fender and Gibson sold their souls for profit by having Epiphone and Squire made in China. You have basically given all of your intellectual property to a country that doesn't respect it. The same factories that are cranking out official sub-brands on Friday are cranking out the fakes on Saturday. They have also now trained luthiers that will work for $3 an hour.

#580 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Thanks for the tip, I just googled floyd rose string change on your advice and found a ton of information!

First string change with a Floyd was daunting for me, but here is what I do now... I center all of the fine tuners on the bridge, then use the skinny end of a plastic Bondo applicator to hold the bridge level. You can then cut and restring it like a standard guitar, do a rough tune and your bridge tuners will have plenty of adjustment in either direction.

The most time consuming part is loosening and tightening the locks at the nut as you rough tune.

floyd-string-change (resized).jpg

#581 2 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Fender and Gibson sold their souls for profit by having Epiphone and Squire made in China. You have basically given all of your intellectual property to a country that doesn't respect it. The same factories that are cranking out official sub-brands on Friday are cranking out the fakes on Saturday. They have also now trained luthiers that will work for $3 an hour.

The Squires are not exact Stratocaster copies.

They are thinner bodied, different guitars that vaguely resemble a Strat.

It's not like Fender went over to China and trained workers to make a perfect Strat. China has lots of musical instrument factories that can make you whatever you want already.

It's not like you can swap necks or bodies with a real Strat.

The Squires are mostly just cheap student grade guitars, that you can get get parts and service in the USA from Fender.

You want $99 guitar to see if your kid will stick with it? You want a $99 guitar to use at a gig in a bad part of town or smash in a music video? The Squire is it.

#582 2 years ago

Here's a few pics I took before I sold off the "Spectrum", which by the way you can still buy off Amazon for about $75 (!). The $75 sunburst Spectrum compared to the $799 American Strat. Like Vid said, the cheap one would be good for taking out to iffy places, lending to people, giving to beginners to try out, etc. I also still believe it would work just fine as a guitar for a beginner to learn on. As far as the Fender one, well, its best to not even look at it, let alone touch it

Strat and Spectrum (resized).jpg

Strat Spectrum Headstock (resized).jpg

Strat Spectrum tuners (resized).jpg

Strat Spectrum bridge (resized).jpg

Strat Spectrum tremelo cavity (resized).jpg

#583 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

As far as the Fender one, well, its best to not even look at it, let alone touch it

I have been following this advice so far, since getting the $799 deal. Involuntarily, though: no time!

#584 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Squires are not exact Stratocaster copies.
They are thinner bodied, different guitars that vaguely resemble a Strat.
It's not like Fender went over to China and trained workers to make a perfect Strat. China has lots of musical instrument factories that can make you whatever you want already.
It's not like you can swap necks or bodies with a real Strat.
The Squires are mostly just cheap student grade guitars, that you can get get parts and service in the USA from Fender.
You want $99 guitar to see if your kid will stick with it? You want a $99 guitar to use at a gig in a bad part of town or smash in a music video? The Squire is it.

I think they more than vaguely resemble. The Indonesian Squiers even have the skunk strip and ring around the truss rod hole that missing from the Chinese (you can see the one in post above is missing them). Now that Fender is back to selling guitars with the fat retro headstock and double string tree's, a lot of people are going to be fooled.

#585 2 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Never said they were. Just said Fender and Gibson have trained factories to build guitars for $200-450 and make a profit. Those same factories discovered they can sell them for $100-300 and keep the profit. They've been doing it for over 10 years and now the guitars are getting very good.

It's just important to know that Fender did not build the Korean and Chinese factories, nor train the workers.

Those inexpensive Fender branded Squire guitars are made by Cort and Samick.

Those companies are 100x larger than the Fender Musical Instrument Corp.

Those companies can make you a $29 guitar or a $10,000 guitar, they don't need any training from Fender or Gibson.

#586 2 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

First string change with a Floyd was daunting for me, but here is what I do now...

It's far simpler/easier to just do one string at a time. Takes a minute or two per string. You just release the one nut at a time, do those two strings, and tighten it back up. I usually adjust the fine tuners to about 1/3rd down, as usually the guitar goes flat rather than sharp, and you have more adjustment available.

Another trick ... I do one string, put it in place, wind up the tension to about half way tight, then pull up on the string a little to "pre stretch" it. Then when you've finished, the strings don't stretch and make your guitar go flat. A guy showed me that trick in a music store 25 years ago, works a treat.

rd

#587 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It's far simpler/easier to just do one string at a time. Takes a minute or two per string. You just release the one nut at a time, do those two strings, and tighten it back up. I usually adjust the fine tuners to about 1/3rd down, as usually the guitar goes flat rather than sharp, and you have more adjustment available.
Another trick ... I do one string, put it in place, wind up the tension to about half way tight, then pull up on the string a little to "pre stretch" it. Then when you've finished, the strings don't stretch and make your guitar go flat. A guy showed me that trick in a music store 25 years ago, works a treat.
rd

Yes, agree. That's how I do it.

#588 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

That's the scaredy cat way to do it.
I clean/condition the fretboard and polish the frets while I have it destrung. Can't do that farting around with one string at at time.

#589 2 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I clean/condition the fretboard and polish the frets while I have it destrung. Can't do that farting around with one string at at time.

I wanted to clean and oil the fretboard as well, so I used a similar trick to lock the bridge in place and then did all the strings at the same time.

Came out fine I think.

#590 2 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I would do that every year or two when I was gigging twice every weekend.

Any more than that, and its equivalent to waxing your pinball playfield after every game.

rd

#591 2 years ago

Yeah I agree I don't play enough to worry about changing the strings very often, maybe every few years. I do keep a big stack of #9 high E strings cause I tend the break those bending them. I got one of those cool little tools that slides under the strings and cleans up the fretboard nicely with strings on.

#592 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I wanted to clean and oil the fretboard as well, so I used a similar trick to lock the bridge in place and then did all the strings at the same time

If you want to clean the fretboard with a Floyd, sit the guitar on your lap, push the whammy bar down, clean the fretboard to your hearts content, release the whammy bar ... wham! Clean guitar, only a minute taken, still in tune. Win!

Yet another tip .. buy some of this stuff! Every time you play the guitar, when you've finished run this stuff over the strings. Cleans them sweetly. Lasts for years too!

rd

IMG_5814 (resized).PNG

#593 2 years ago

Wow, this thread is chock full of great hints and tips.

If I ever get a chance to actually play my new Strat like it deserves to be, I'm sure I'll be referring to it often! Thanks, guys!

#594 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

If I ever get a chance to actually play my new Strat like it deserves to be, I'm sure I'll be referring to it often! Thanks, guys!

If you're not playing it much, run some Fast Fret over the strings every now and again. Saves them from going rusty.

rd

#595 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Along those lines, I drifted from Paul Gilbert and Troy Grady videos, both of which are great, over to a guy named Ben Eller who has a series called This Is Why You Suck At Guitar. The title tells you a bit about his sense of humor, and he can get a bit off color in some of his side ramblings (although his humor is OK for me), but I really like his lessons. You can focus in on one area like finger tapping, barre chords, sweep picking, etc and in a few minutes you will learn a lot of really good little tidbits you don't normally get unless maybe you are right there with a music teacher. I think these would be good for anyone starting out and for non advanced players who want to learn new things, or better yet, learn how to do some things better. He has tons of videos and each one focuses on one small area which is great. He does a good job explaining and showing exactly how to do things, and of course showing why the wrong way is no good. He also has lots of short little lessons on various cool licks which are fun to learn also. It is all no nonsense (other than the goody side jokes), no hard selling of ads or lessons (he will give lessons of course) and you get everything clearly explained, not like those deals where you get part of it and then have to pay for the rest. Going through his stuff is gonna keep me busy for a while...

#596 2 years ago

Best guitar lessons ever are from Satchel of "Steel Panther"

rotordave will approve I am sure

There are lots more available too - well worth it. Seriously I have been playing for over thirty years and am pretty crap really... but I've had more fun playing the guitar and listening to music since I got hooked on Steel Panther last year...

#597 2 years ago

If you are looking for a great low cost amp check out the Boss Katana range. I got the 100W combo last year and love it!

There's a thread over 400 pages long on TGP (The Gear Page) about the Boss Katanas. Lots of guys are ditching their tube amps (I did!)
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-katana-amplifiers.1744135/page-405

Currently the 100W Combo is $329 for you guys in the US:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Kata100

#598 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yet another tip .. buy some of this stuff! Every time you play the guitar, when you've finished run this stuff over the strings. Cleans them sweetly. Lasts for years too!

Good call. I use this stuff all the time. Great shit !!

#599 2 years ago
Quoted from woz:

There are lots more available too - well worth it. Seriously I have been playing for over thirty years and am pretty crap really... but I've had more fun playing the guitar and listening to music since I got hooked on Steel Panther last year...

My daughter is pretty good friends with these guys. And yes, we live in Canada lol. She says they are a hoot . Bunch a good guys.

#600 2 years ago

Check this out if you like Sabatage by the Beastie boys .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 209.99
$ 209.99
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Haus
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside