3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 829 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by zombywoof
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 301 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Photo_052506_002 (resized).jpg
Ace (resized).jpg
EBEF3E70-E174-4C3B-8D6B-65AA90857F28 (resized).jpeg
F8BD12D5-4249-4433-A1D8-4EFAE871697B (resized).jpeg
AA8147E4-9C3F-47C2-97ED-714A3288350A (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190119_181023 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204740 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204411 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204406 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190117_204346 (resized).jpg
gloop3unexk01 (resized).jpg
fe011401277a (resized).jpg
06C8AE07-32F5-4EDF-9FF2-684947BDF551 (resized).jpeg
D5E1CE1A-7B19-451F-A83B-B0B1CC9A5CB8 (resized).jpeg
45DFBE8F-364F-4397-9392-0142506BA859 (resized).jpeg
fender-case-2 (resized).jpg

There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 17.
#1 3 years ago

I know there are a ton of guitar heads on this forum, so I'd thought I better pass along a great deal on an American made Strat.

strat1 (resized).jpg

The only color available is sparkle black, rosewood fingerboard.

If you can handle that, you've got one hell of a deal @ $799 free shipping.

It comes with 3 "rewiring" cards that let you rewire the way the tone controls and switches work on the fly (switching tone capacitors, or splitting pickups), so if you are the type that instantly has to start unsoldering capacitors and changing switch orientations, you are probably going to hate that this easy path is now offered to you.

But if you are totally offended by the training wheels, you can obviously bypass those circuit paths, and completely roll your own; just like the old days.

The only "odd" thing about this deal is that it is sold by Adorama - you know the giant NYC camera store.

I went to Guitar Center to have them match this deal, but the manager could not match it. The closest thing he could offer was a stripped down American Strat that did not have the Locking Tuners, HSS or roller guides for $1200 + tax. The an almost exact same guitar as the Adorama deal he said he could do for $1399 + tax (but it had slightly different hardware).

011-8110-710 (resized).jpg

http://www.adorama.com/fe118110710.html?sdtid=9149935&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

#2 3 years ago

Not a Strat fan but for an American at that price....I am. Looks like Mama just bought my Christmas present.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not a Strat fan but for an American at that price....I am. Looks like Mama just bought my Christmas present.

I know, the last thing I need is another guitar, lol.

I played the one on the wall at GC and the action was really nice for 'off the shelf'. It felt light with good sustain, not some balsa wood crap pile from beyond the wall.

I hope Fender has not changed the screw spacing on the pickguards over the years, because I have a chrome metal HSS one from a '72 Strat that would look great on the black sparkle.

UPS says I'll have it on Wednesday.

#4 3 years ago

Damn.......bad timing or I would jump on this.....great deal for a Strat!!!!

#5 3 years ago

Leo Fender is a local legend in my town. I grew up a couple of blocks away from his original factory. Like them or not, the Fender guitar had a profound impact on the industry and the musicians that played them. And still does.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Like them or not, the Fender guitar had a profound impact on the industry and the musicians that played them.

Absolutely.

The radius of Fender fretboard, and the balance of the Strat is something magic.

I love my Les Pauls, but the sharp edges are just not ergonomic for extended use.

60 years of the Strat and it's still basically the same thing. Not many products can make that claim.

#7 3 years ago

Acoustic man myself; however, many moons ago I was looking at getting a Tele. If I remember correctly, seems like they were manufactured in about 14 places (same with strat) with a pecking order in terms of cost and quality based on country of origin. It was something like 1) USA 2) Japan 3) Mexico 4) China 5) Bangladesh. Now, to be fair, I may have been looking at models manufactured across multiple years, but I just remember that the guitar was built in lots of different places and the cost between bottom and top was 3-5x. Are they still doing that?

#8 3 years ago

The old Fender factory and part of the Fender exhibit at the Fullerton museum which at one time was the public library before they built a larger one. Really a neat exhibit to see.

fullerton-museum-center (resized).jpg

fender-fullerton-factory-1959 (resized).jpg

#9 3 years ago

Looks like they have some great deals.

Shame I didn't know about them a few months back when I was in NYC, I would have popped in there.

Great price on the strat, but I prefer something a bit more hot rod...

http://www.adorama.com/ja2913056576.html

rd

#10 3 years ago

That could very well be Leo himself^^^^^

quote-the-design-of-each-element-should-be-thought-out-in-order-to-be-easy-to-make-and-easy-leo-fender-9-43-76 (resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Acoustic man myself; however, many moons ago I was looking at getting a Tele. If I remember correctly, seems like they were manufactured in about 14 places (same with strat) with a pecking order in terms of cost and quality based on country of origin. It was something like 1) USA 2) Japan 3) Mexico 4) China 5) Bangladesh. Now, to be fair, I may have been looking at models manufactured across multiple years, but I just remember that the guitar was built in lots of different places and the cost between bottom and top was 3-5x. Are they still doing that?

The best hardware is always installed on the American instruments.

The "Standard" guitars and Squire guitars are currently made in Mexico.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-made-in-california-fender-20141112-story.html

#12 3 years ago

I want to order this so bad. I only have a shitty squire. ughh..

#13 3 years ago

Thanks so much for posting this. That price is phenomenal.

I picked one up for my daughter who is an avid player.

#14 3 years ago

Nothing like a good guitar solo to warm your soul.

Yes, pinball and guitars do seem to have a similar following in this collector hobby.
Some personal favorites, other than a Taylor, Gretsch, and a couple others.

"Every guitar has its own voice, it just has the find the right person and music style to really sing."
-TBK

GLWS.

Guitars.jpg

#15 3 years ago

I love that exploded view poster

#16 3 years ago

Windsox emailed and asked if it's worth a trip to visit a Guitar Center.

I replied that if you've never been there, you better go soon before they go out of business. (they have been struggling for the past 8 years, which is why you see Roland, Gibson and other musical instruments in the bigger BestBuy stores - the musical instrument manufacturers were worried that if GC goes under, they will have no outlet for their product.)

GC used to match any other retailer's sale prices, as long as they could verify that the items were in stock and the price was real.

That policy is obviously no longer in place, judging by the manager's inability to match Adorama's sale price.

Letting a customer leave the store with $1000 cash in his pocket, while you have inventory sitting on the shelf, is not good policy.

-

All that aside, GC has a ton of guitars up on the walls. A humidified room full of acoustic instruments, A room with high end amp heads, A room with DJ equipment, A sound reinforcement and lighting room, A drum room, and A room full of Keyboards, sequencers and Drum machines.

If you've never been, it's a must see.

But nothing can prepare you for what greets you when you first walk in.

The main room with all the electric guitars and amps, is a crazy blast of noise when you open the door. 20 talentless players, all **playing** different songs at once, all out of tune. Go as early in the morning as possible; but even at 10AM when the kids should be in school, there are at least 10 different solos being frantically played.

If you go in with your mom or boyfriend, they will turn around and immediately go back to the car. They will not last 1 minute in the din.

This video will kinda prepare you, but remember to turn it up so loud that it physically hits you in the face:

(I love the kid playing Crazy Train, it's so bad it's great!)

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Windsox emailed and asked if it's worth a trip to visit a Guitar Center

Haha yep that sounds like every Guitar Centre I've been in.

When I was 18 I decided to leave my family's furniture store and go work in a music store. What would be better than playing guitar all day and getting paid for it? And you get all your gear at cost +10%! Whoooopa!!

I lasted 3 months before I went back to the furniture store. Lol!

This video sure brings back memories of that experience ...

rd

#18 3 years ago

Ditto on the Guitar Center. Do people still insist on playing Stairway to Heaven,Smoke on the Water, and Iron Man loud and incorrectly??Those were "the plague" at one time..........

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Do people still insist on playing Stairway to Heaven,Smoke on the Water, and Iron Man loud and incorrectly??Those were "the plague" at one time..........

I have not heard those songs in a long time at GC (although at one time Stairway played through a flanger was the only thing ever played there).

The other day I heard "When I come around" by Green Day, "Fight fire with fire" Metallica, "Flagpole sitta" Harvey Danger and a bunch of random shreadding. On bass a white kid who looked 14 had "Pusher Man" Curtis Mayfield going on - so he got a nod from me. In the acoustic room a guy had a jazzy version with vocals of "Song to the siren" Tim Buckley and "Landslide" by Feetwood Mac - those were probably the oldest songs I heard.

What puzzles me is why people try play songs they clearly don't know how to play?

Why not work them out at home, and then take it to GC?

#20 3 years ago

I'm giving learning guitar a go this fall. Went affordable on my first guitar in case I give up. Hopefully I won't. I also got Rocksmith for $20 with the cable included. I know it takes a lot of practice and time to learn but if you guys have any advice or can point me in the direction of FREE teaching videos that you know aren't shit I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
PChop

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

I'm giving learning guitar a go this fall. Went affordable on my first guitar in case I give up. Hopefully I won't. I also got Rocksmith for $20 with the cable included. I know it takes a lot of practice and time to learn but if you guys have any advice or can point me in the direction of FREE teaching videos that you know aren't shit I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
PChop

What style of music?

AC, Country, Old Rock, Metal, Surf.....?

#22 3 years ago

Check out Pebber Brown -porkchop. Plenty of lessons on YouTube. He taught some of the best guitarist and he's cool guy.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What style of music?
AC, Country, Old Rock, Metal, Surf.....?

Whatever is easy at this point. I'm just learning the cords, week 1.

Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Check out Pebber Brown -porkchop. Plenty of lessons on YouTube. He taught some of the best guitarist and he's cool guy.

Thanks man, will do.

#24 3 years ago

Whatever is easy at this point. I'm just learning the cords, week 1.

Yep, that's how it plugs in to the amp.

rd

IMG_3253 (resized).JPG

#25 3 years ago

Thanks
PChop

On YouTube
Guitar Jamz - channel with Marty Schwartz is pretty good for a lot of good lessons.

I've been watching the Rob Chapman channel on youtube lately, he has some very entertaining demo videos. Mostly for gear but fun to watch.

#26 3 years ago

Whatever is easy at this point.

Country music is the easiest by far.

Learn "Fast as you" Dwight Yoakam, "Friends in low places" Garth Brooks, "Move it on over" Hank Williams, and "Stains on the pillow" by David Allen Coe.

Everybody knows those oldies, so you can pick up a guitar at any party and all can sing along. All of them are super easy beginner songs.

#28 3 years ago

One word that completely defines BUYING new guitars (not private stock customs) if you need assistance, knowledge, and expertise.

Sweetwater.

#!@$ Guitar Center.

#29 3 years ago

Where is the best place to learn to become better at strumming? I feel that's where I can see the most improvement.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Where is the best place to learn to become better at strumming? I feel that's where I can see the most improvement.

Kill em All.
Or any Richie Havens album.

#31 3 years ago

Seriously, when I first started, I played along with my music of choice (mostly John Lee Hooker) constantly. Somewhere on that big fat E string is a note that will match...branching out is inevitable.

#32 3 years ago

Yes Vid is a God round these parts, but NEVER, EVER, pick up a guitar at a party and start playing Garth fucking Brooks unless you want El-Kabonged.

#33 3 years ago

When you are first starting out, taking some lessons will really help you get going quicker than trying to gut it out on your own. Even good videos won't help you as much as someone showing what to do and also make sure you aren't going down the wrong path.

Learn your major open chords, strum some songs, burn your fingers, finally get some calluses and realize that it actually isn't going to hurt like hell always, figure out how to play the smoke on the water riff, you probably aren't doing it the exact right way but who cares it sounds awesome, spend months trying to make a bar chord, then finally you got it and it is easy and doesn't cramp the shit out of your hand, learn minor chords, plug in and realize what a power chords is, holy shit that is easy!, play the star spangled banner like jimi Hendrix only really badly, learn the chuck berry riffs, the 12 bar blue progression and the pentatonic scale boxes, spend the next 5 years noodling pentatonics, learn how to play stairway to heaven really badly, learn the full minor scale then the major scale, learn the modes, figure out what a mixolydian scale really is, learn finger tapping, unison bends, pick scrapes, volume swells and all of the cheap licks everyone uses over and over, then one day pick up the guitar and realize holy shit I can actually play some cool stuff on this damn thing, learn the solo for over the mountain and touchdown, just spike that thing.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

When you are first starting out, taking some lessons will really help you get going quicker than trying to gut it out on your own. Even good videos won't help you as much as someone showing what to do and also make sure you aren't going down the wrong path.
Learn your major open chords, strum some songs, burn your fingers, finally get some calluses and realize that it actually isn't going to hurt like hell always, figure out how to play the smoke on the water riff, you probably aren't doing it the exact right way but who cares it sounds awesome, spend months trying to make a bar chord, then finally you got it and it is easy and doesn't cramp the shit out of your hand, learn minor chords, plug in and realize what a power chords is, holy shit that is easy!, play the star spangled banner like jimi Hendrix only really badly, learn the chuck berry riffs, the 12 bar blue progression and the pentatonic scale boxes, spend the next 5 years noodling pentatonics, learn how to play stairway to heaven really badly, learn the full minor scale then the major scale, learn the modes, figure out what a mixolydian scale really is, learn finger tapping, unison bends, pick scrapes, volume swells and all of the cheap licks everyone uses over and over, then one day pick up the guitar and realize holy shit I can actually play some cool stuff on this damn thing, learn the solo for over the mountain and touchdown, just spike that thing.

Triple thumbs up.

#35 3 years ago

Appreciate all the advice. I may be from Alabama but I can't fuck with Garth. Especially not at any party I'd be at.
Cheers
PChop

#36 3 years ago

I may be from Alabama but I can't fuck with Garth.

Alabama??? Why didn't you say so?

Freebird!!!!!!

#37 3 years ago

Or if you want to play in the acoustic room at GC, here is Lindsey Buckingham himself teaching you to play Landslide.

When you are that good of a player, you no longer have to tune your guitar, apparently. It's cringey to listen to, but how often do you get a lesson from a master?

#38 3 years ago

Finally, Youtube recommended Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein while I was watching Lindsey.

Here is some inspiration for you "You don't have to be a great musician, you have to have great songs"

Doyle has all the musical notes labeled on the back of his guitar neck.

(can you believe Doyle is 53 years old????)

#39 3 years ago

This is why I thought you were Clay for the longest time.

How many pinball repair guys also collect guitars?

#40 3 years ago

Here are my two Fenders that will never leave. I play my Music Man JPXI mostly these days but it doesn't have the Strat or Tele bite. Every guitar player needs at least one Strat and/or Tele.

IMG_20161002_142142997 (resized).jpg

#41 3 years ago

Still trying to figure out how Youtube fit Doyle and Lindsey Buckingham together.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

This is why I thought you were Clay for the longest time.

My humor is too dark and my cock is too powerful to ever be confused with Clay.

Quoted from jwilson:

How many pinball repair guys also collect guitars?

I'd say 50% of all households I visit for repairs have some quality guitars on the wall.

Since only 7% of the of the general population plays guitar, I assume there is some kind of strange correlation.

(techy stuff that rapidly wears out as you use it, same old designs still popular, soldering skills required for repairs, customization is popular, tiny tweaks, show-off bragging rights, limited editions, wives say you can't play more that one guitar at a time - how many do you need?........)

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Still trying to figure out how Youtube fit Doyle and Lindsey Buckingham together.

Neither of them bother to tune their guitars?

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Finally, Youtube recommended Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein while I was watching Lindsey.
Here is some inspiration for you "You don't have to be a great musician, you have to have great songs"
Doyle has all the musical notes labeled on the back of his guitar neck.
(can you believe Doyle is 53 years old????)

"You're too loud, you're too loud!"

Doyle: "Shut up. What the fuck are you paying me for?"

HAHAHA!

#45 3 years ago

Getting the itch to start playing again. It's been about 25 years since I touched a guitar. Any reviews on the Hallmark 60 custom? I love the surf sound and the Ramones.

#46 3 years ago

I have had guitars since 1984. Hondo's, BC Riches, and Jacksons. I like different types of music, but prefer classic rock and hard rock. Metal too. I took lessons and learned some basic stuff. I'm mostly a rhythm guy. I need to be better but it frustrates me at times. I have time to practice more now. Main axe is a 82 BC Rich Warlock I've had since 85. It's a keeper.........

#47 3 years ago

When I bought my #1 bitch right here 22 years ago the tag at the pawn shop said 1969. She's a 73. Never seen any other Coronado besides her anywhere, ever.
20161002_191351 (resized).jpg
20161002_191452 (resized).jpg
She's excited that her new little sister is an American.

#48 3 years ago

I thought a bit seriously about this deal for a while, but decided to pass. I have a cheap Strat clone already, plus this somewhat obscure Valley Arts Custom Pro which is a sort of super strat I guess. I'm in the mood for a late 80s or early 90s Ibanez MIJ SG520 if anyone has one. I love to shred, that is, pretend I am shredding...

musical_valley arts electric (resized).jpg

#49 3 years ago

Valley Arts were top of the range stuff back in the 1980s. I used to drool at them in the pages of Guitar World.

If my memory serves me correctly they were made in Los Angeles in the "valley" and Steve Lukather was an endorsee.

rd

#50 3 years ago

Anyone get this delivered yet? I am on the fence and would like some feedback. Thanks in advance

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 72.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 199.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 149.00
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Hardware
CPR Playfields
$ 115.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
There are 829 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside