89887857_10159193376187289_2431110493520265216_n (resized).jpg
Godspeed (resized).png
Ambien (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I feel like at this point in time there are three ways people know me:

Pinball Person
Video Guy
Ambient Head

For the past couple seasons of New England Pinball League I almost always wear headphones while playing. This past season I've had a lot of success playing while listening to the second half this Stars Of The Lid album.

I feel as if I play best when I'm listening to something long and drone oriented. Any other pinheads who are into drone/dark ambient/minimalism?

#2 4 years ago

I'd say some of what I listen to crosses into those genres (although they're not always clearly defined). I've come at it more from the industrial/noise directions.

#3 4 years ago

There is definitely a time and place for heavier/industrial/noise music in my listening. I've always just been a little less engaged with heavier drones for some reason (I've fallen asleep every time I've seen Sunn O))) but maybe that isn't a totally terrible reaction). Enjoy it all the same, just get less hyped/have trouble truly connecting with it.

Really liked what you just posted there.

#4 4 years ago

For Ambient, hard to beat "The KLF - Chill Out"
For Drone/Heavy, check out "Author & Punisher - Ursus Americanus"

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

There is definitely a time and place for heavier/industrial/noise music in my listening. I've always just been a little less engaged with heavier drones for some reason (I've fallen asleep every time I've seen Sunn O))) but maybe that isn't a totally terrible reaction). Enjoy it all the same, just get less hyped/have trouble truly connecting with it.
Really liked what you just posted there.

Cut your flesh for Sun O)))!!!
I’m not really a fan of using headphones, I feel I play far better with background music. However I go on lots of hauls with long drone metal albums! Gotta pull up links and post them!

#6 4 years ago

Another favorite of mine to play to:

Should have also stated that I'm a huge V/VM fan and hopelessly addicted to anything Leyland Kirby related.

KLF and A&P has always been way too structured to me...

#7 4 years ago

#9 4 years ago

Both excellent links above. I was hoping Aphex was going to chime in with that track but I'm glad someone else got on it.

#10 4 years ago

#11 4 years ago

When ambient music alone, won't do it for me:

Ambien (resized).jpgAmbien (resized).jpg

#12 4 years ago

Interesting that you listen to ambient while playing pinball. Does it help calm you down and relax your playing? I've seen folks with headphones playing music and noise blankers and wondered what difference it made to their playing and results.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Rampton:

Interesting that you listen to ambient while playing pinball. Does it help calm you down and relax your playing? I've seen folks with headphones playing music and noise blankers and wondered what difference it made to their playing and results.

When I'm listening while playing, it has to be to a song/piece that I know really well and has to not have any distinguishable rhythms (drums or such) or rhythmic delays.

I don't know why it helps me so much, but for some reason it forces me to think more about all movements as one whole synced continuous motion. I listen to The sinking Of The Titanic most nights of league last year and it helped a lot.

The only other thing I'll listen to is a podcast I know really well, which is odd to me, because it's kind of the opposite of ambient music. Speech is all rhythm and sometimes no more than just rhythm. Hell, I even play better usually when I'm just talking to somebody. My only billion plus score on Addams once I swear only happened because I was chatting with the lady at the host stand the whole time.

#14 4 years ago

Aphex twin and the no stress monkey.

#15 4 years ago

I’ve always enjoyed this live Melvins album. It’s one hour long track. Noise/ambient/experimental, whatever you want to call it.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

Aphex twin and the no stress monkey.

thierryv good to know you have great taste in pins and music!!! Really wishing I was in a place to grab on those Spirits you posted a while back

#17 4 years ago
Godspeed (resized).pngGodspeed (resized).png
#18 4 years ago

I think I heard somewhere that sounds and music are created to energise the player, so they cannot relax and there may drain easier. So I can see why isolating from the sound the machine makes might help.

Anyway, another contribution. The picture-disc of this album is superb.

#19 4 years ago

sixleggeddog

89887857_10159193376187289_2431110493520265216_n (resized).jpg89887857_10159193376187289_2431110493520265216_n (resized).jpg
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

thierryv good to know you have great taste in pins and music!!! Really wishing I was in a place to grab on those Spirits you posted a while back

Oops indeed , those three spirits was once in a lifetime ...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ambient-people-can-you-hear-me?hl=rampton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.