IMG_7313_(resized).JPG
IMG_7293_(resized).JPG
IMG_7282_(resized).JPG
IMG_7246_(resized).JPG
IMG_7237_(resized).JPG
IMG_7221_(resized).JPG
IMG_7220_(resized).JPG
IMG_7217_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dyopp21.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Some photos of my progress on The Amazing Spiderman
IMG_7180_(resized).JPGIMG_7180_(resized).JPGIMG_7188_(resized).JPGIMG_7188_(resized).JPGIMG_7194_(resized).JPGIMG_7194_(resized).JPGIMG_7186_(resized).JPGIMG_7186_(resized).JPGIMG_7198_(resized).JPGIMG_7198_(resized).JPGIMG_7190_(resized).JPGIMG_7190_(resized).JPGIMG_7293_(resized).JPGIMG_7293_(resized).JPGIMG_7212_(resized).JPGIMG_7212_(resized).JPGIMG_7217_(resized).JPGIMG_7217_(resized).JPGIMG_7220_(resized).JPGIMG_7220_(resized).JPGIMG_7221_(resized).JPGIMG_7221_(resized).JPGIMG_7237_(resized).JPGIMG_7237_(resized).JPGIMG_7246_(resized).JPGIMG_7246_(resized).JPGillust_redraw_(resized).JPGillust_redraw_(resized).JPGGJKY3757_(resized).pngGJKY3757_(resized).pngIMG_7282_(resized).JPGIMG_7282_(resized).JPGIMG_7313_(resized).JPGIMG_7313_(resized).JPGIMG_7315_(resized).JPGIMG_7315_(resized).JPG

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

How did you remove the background paint so perfectly to the black line edges of the characters?

I used a dremel with the router attachment.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

Definitely a cool, fun project but not the way a playfield should be "restored".
If you don't achieve the same levels, the game will play very poorly as the ball rolls from wood to decal and back again. This technique has been used by Treasure Cove for years and results in a game that looks decent at first glance, but is noisy (you can actually hear the ball switch from decal to wood) and doesn't play well.

I agree. This is not the way to do it unless you are willing to take the additional step of creating a custom acrylic overlay for the entire playfield to overcome the differences in the materials, which is exactly how I will proceed when I'm done fixing all of the artwork and inserts. This is my third restore in this manner. (I've done a Firepower, Hot Line and now this) The first two play wonderfully.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#15 8 years ago

The Firepower in the previous photo was chewed up around the slingshots. Pretty close to invisible now.

#16 8 years ago

New inserts in place and working on the overlays.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#19 8 years ago

I don't know how to do clear, so I create a custom polycarb overlay (I just posted a video of the results)

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

This is really nice work.
I agree that you could easily level this out with 2-PAC.
OP - I would also love it if you would do a series on how you make your polycarb overlay! This is why I love Pinside - learning new and different techniques that one can use to restore this beautiful art! Nice work

Pinterest- I've already done a video on creating a polycarb overlay and just posted it to pinside.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creating-a-custom-playfield-protector-video#post-3092616

Enjoy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dyopp21.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amazing-spider-man-playfield-restoration?tu=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.