Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190713_170750 (resized).jpg
20190713_170755 (resized).jpg
20190713_170759 (resized).jpg
20190714_174526 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hey Everyone

I'm thinking of doing some touchups on the cabinet body/head of my Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man. I've read most of the posts in Vid's cabinet restore forum and found it very informative. I'm considering a clear gloss (minwax water based polycrylic) clear over the cabinet paint. Do you guys recommend this as a preventive measure, sealing the existing paint (and possible touchups)? I love the artwork and want this cabinet paint to stay looking sharp. The scrapes and dings always annoyed me, but it's not too bad. As for any blemishes, I may use Scrubbing Bubbles or an alternative cleaner if needed.

The cabinet front had holes drilled for some ugly rectangular security bar (wood filler in holes needs to be sanded and repainted).

I appreciate any feedback you guys have.

As for color matching, I went to my local Benjamin Moore searching for metallic silver. The guy working at the store said this paint is likely oil based. Does that mean I need to return the minwax waterbased clear for an oil based clear?

Thanks, Guys!

20190713_170750 (resized).jpg20190713_170750 (resized).jpg20190713_170755 (resized).jpg20190713_170755 (resized).jpg20190713_170759 (resized).jpg20190713_170759 (resized).jpg20190714_174526 (resized).jpg20190714_174526 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

I think I found the answer to one of my questions. It appears I can apply the water based clear finish to the spider-man cabinet, even if it's oil-based paint, as long as it has been dry for at least 72-hours. The next question is whether I use oil or latex based paint for any touch ups. I have the harbor freight paint spray tool with attachments for an air compressor. I would at least like to cover the holes I filled outside the coin door.

#3 4 years ago

Alright, I keep researching the topic and it seems the clear can be rolled on. I'm also seeing this as inferior to spraying the coat. Also, looks like the existing paint surface needs a light sanding for grip? Since I'm on my own, I'll need to test out the paints and clears in my garage, with 95+ degree heat (NC summer). This will be interesting. Also wondering ifI need to spot clear the bare wood areas and sand before the final clear finish is applied. So much to learn.

#4 4 years ago

Glad we could help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amazing-spider-man-playfield-and-cabinet-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.