Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190706_141044 (resized).jpg
20190712_084744 (resized).jpg
20190712_084735 (resized).jpg
a597088b442f7d1aa73057bdc71ee57a6406e207 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hey Everyone!

I am heavily considering an alternative to using a playfield protector on my ASM. My custom protector continues to collect bits of stuff (old paint? swarf?) between playfield surface and bottom of protector. As you can see from the attached pic (no protector in place), there is some heavy ball swirl, especially at Mary Jane. I've only used light vacuuming and naptha for cleaning so far. I may need to use magic eraser, or just accept the paint as shown. The main objective is keeping all paint intact. Yes, I know regular cleaning and waxing is probably enough, but I'm wanting to take the next step and really lock the paint (and possible touch-ups, decals) in place. I'm not too fond of getting the playfield professionally clear-coated due to expense and additional time. I know profesional CC is probably the best option, but I'm considering Mylar for the entire playfield. My main concern with Mylar is how it adheres to cupped inserts. I've read about adding clear at uneven/dipped areas to level it out for mylar. I've also read about warnings with posts causing mylar wrinkles when tightening to playfield. Mylar seems like a good option if installed properly (no bubbles). The mylar on my tmnt looks pretty good, and I buffed it with some novus 2 just once to get a nice shine. The tmnt mylar has since been covered with a playfield protector which hasn't collected any noticeable debris.

1. If I decide to mylar, do I need to wax the playfield beforehand?

2. If I mylar the playfield, does anyone know where I can obtain high quality playfield scans for possible decals? I also have typical wear at the three VUK locations at back left of playfield.

Another issue I'm thinking of fixing is cabinet scratches. I'm guessing these areas need to be spray painted, and with stencils as an aid. Also, the front of my cabinet has two holes drilled for a lockbar which I removed, but would like to have repaired using bondo and new silver/blue paint.

I've been very fortunate so far on Pinside. I really do appreciate your time and feedback on my questions and comments.

Thanks!

20190706_141044 (resized).jpg20190706_141044 (resized).jpg20190712_084735 (resized).jpg20190712_084735 (resized).jpg20190712_084744 (resized).jpg20190712_084744 (resized).jpga597088b442f7d1aa73057bdc71ee57a6406e207 (resized).jpga597088b442f7d1aa73057bdc71ee57a6406e207 (resized).jpg
7 months later
#2 4 years ago

I’m convinced that you could magic eraser/91% isopropyl + Novus 2 + light windex it mostly clean. I had great success on a Charlie’s Angels game.

But this is coming from someone who is also in the middle of getting stellar results from brushing on Varathane and wet sanding it smooth. So far. Slop it on, give it time, have it off. Repeat.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist
Plastics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amazing-spider-man-playfield-and-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.