1 Before.JPG
3 Before.JPG
after.png
before.png
IMG_1874.jpg
IMG_3850.JPG
IMG_3845.JPG
IMG_3844.JPG
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 12 years ago

I installed a video amplifier from Ultimarc on my RFM and the difference is astounding. Colors are so much more vibrant and bright. Yet it still has deep blacks. I am certain that you could not surpass the overall image quality with an LCD. Best $35 I ever spent. Every RFM owner with a CRT monitor needs this. Now.

#2 12 years ago

^Been barking this for awhile now, totally agree!

And the fact that you will get the amp from London faster than almost any shipment within the US, absolutely rules!

#3 12 years ago

Where did you purchase this from?

#6 12 years ago

Been thinking about this but wonder if it shortens the life of your monitor?

Dennis

#7 12 years ago

Does this harm or overexstend the monitor?

#8 12 years ago

Fair question. I don't know the answer, but it is only on when I'm playing it so I'm not too worried. I imagine someone here knows the answer.

#9 12 years ago

The answer I have learned is that PC monitors operate around 1v, whereas arcade monitors expect to see 5v. Unfortunately the p2000 computer only outputs around 1.5v. Thus the video amplifier is merely increasing the voltage to within the input specifications of the arcade monitor. Should be no concerns about adversely affecting the lifespan of the monitor.

#10 12 years ago

I recently ordered two of these. One for each of my Pin2K's. I'm a little nervous about the installation, but I'm excited to see the difference it will make.

#11 12 years ago

If you have a Wells Gardner monitor, its cake. I just made a new connector for the monitor board. RGB and ground for pins 1-4 and ground,VandH sync for pins 8-10. Combined the grounds and the 2 sync wires then just connected to the amplifier and presto!

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

If you have a Wells Gardner monitor, its cake. I just made a new connector for the monitor board. RGB and ground for pins 1-4 and ground,VandH sync for pins 8-10. Combined the grounds and the 2 sync wires then just connected to the amplifier and presto!

I'm pretty sure that both my machines have WG monitors. Do you happen to have any photos of the installation? A step-by-step guide would be nice for people like me with no experience in these matters.

#13 12 years ago

I'd be interested in the pics as well. This is something I would like to do but also concerned about install. Thanks for the thread btw.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

You should do a Short video, Link it with You_Tube and post it Here.. I adjusted the Fly-back on my monitor and What a Difference that made.. Night to Day !!

#15 12 years ago

Here are some hastily taken pics. Sorry for the sloppy photos and install. First picture is the original connector. Not sure what all the extra wires are for. One wire was even connected to the keyed pin(?). Pins 5,6, and 7 on the monitor board are not used. On the amplifier, from right to left, the wires are R,G,B,V and H sync(combined), and ground(combined). The leftmost terminal is not used.

IMG_4639.JPGIMG_4639.JPG IMG_4642.JPGIMG_4642.JPG IMG_4643.JPGIMG_4643.JPG

#16 12 years ago

Here you go, this is how it's set up for a Wells Gardener (color wiring might make it a little easier to see how wires are run, and looking at it now I didn't color coordinate too well haha (but you can see what goes where)):

IMG_0187.JPGIMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPGIMG_0188.JPG

#17 12 years ago

thanks. any chance anyone took a picture of the monitor reflection before and after?
mine looks fine right now so i wonder if i really need it....

#18 12 years ago

Thanks for the pics, guys!

Nibbles,

What tools do you need to pin each individual wire like that?

#19 12 years ago

I will try to post B&A videos when I get a chance. I did research the mod extensively and there was uniformly positive reviews with most rating the effect dramatic. The fact that it is so easy and cheap really makes it a no-brainer IMO.

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What tools do you need to pin each individual wire like that?

Those were from some spare cables that I had at work - the pins were already on there, so all I had to use was a wire stripper and a small screwdriver to lock the exposed wires into the Ultimarc amp.

I didn't want to cut up the existing cable that connected the monitor to the computer case, so I just did the wiring like you see in the picture from spare wiring.

#21 12 years ago

when there's a lot of ambient light,
some elements of the monitor reflection are indeed tough to see with my RFM.
I just checked and my monitor is a Samsung.
Does that make a big difference?
thanks

#22 12 years ago

Can't you just adjust the color/brightness/contrast of the monitor? Or are there no adjustable pots for these?

#23 12 years ago

Thanxx alveolus , Look's Like a Pro Job.. http://www.ultimarc.com/vidamp.html

#24 12 years ago

I'm debating adding this to mine, though it appears bright already, I'm always looking for a way to improve the experience. For 22 bucks, what the heck. So far no one said they have regretted adding it yet.

I held off adding LEDs to mine in fear of drowning out the video.

Thank for adding the pics.

#25 12 years ago

flippman Pinhead
when there's a lot of ambient light,
some elements of the monitor reflection are indeed tough to see with my RFM.
Does that make a big difference?
thanks

I think that is the tube manufacturer. The monitor brand should be either Wells Gardner or Ducksan. Look near the monitor frame at the front below the light fixture.

#26 12 years ago

Crashdance22 Pinball addict
Karma: 11,365 Location unknown. Posted 2 hours ago | # | quote | !! |
Can't you just adjust the color/brightness/contrast of the monitor? Or are there no adjustable pots for these?

My brightness and contrast pots were already maxed out. Once I installed the amplifier, I had to back down the contrast considerably.

#27 12 years ago

My monitor is a Samsung tube as well, you likely have a Wells-Gardener.

But check the connection to the board on the backside of the pin in the head, depending on which Chasis you have the board connection will look different.

DuckscanCable.jpgDuckscanCable.jpg WG_Cable.jpgWG_Cable.jpg

#28 12 years ago

My two video amps arrived today. You guys were right, Andy ships incredibly fast. Now I just have to figure out how to install these suckers!

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

My two video amps arrived today. You guys were right, Andy ships incredibly fast. Now I just have to figure out how to install these suckers!

so how did it go? hopefully you can show us some before b/a pix/vids.
let us know! i'm pretyt much set on diving in too.

#30 12 years ago

Ordered a video amp the day before yesterday and it arrived here this afternoon. Really fast coming all the way from London.

Anyway, I hooked it up following the instructions and it did not work right. I got a vertically rolling screen that was all jumbled. I tried adjust the vertical which made it stop rolling but it looked like I needed a horizontal adjustment also. Which I could not find.

On Ultimarc's web site, the instructions say that you should cut between the little half moon shapes on the board and hook up the horizontal and vertical separately. Unfortunately, that didn't work either. SO I just hooked it back up the way it was without the amp. I will work on it some more another time.

Dennis

2 months later
#31 11 years ago

Do I need this if I have a Nucore system? I'm thinking of upgrading the monitor to a LCD screen.

#32 11 years ago

Is something wrong with your current monitor? I feel that deep blacks is the most important atribute of the monitor to achieve the holographic effect. Current LCDs cannot match CRTs in this category.

#33 11 years ago

Nothing wrong with the monitor, just wondering if it makes that much of a difference.

#34 11 years ago

$37 gambled; I'll post B&A pics when I get it...

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

Nothing wrong with the monitor, just wondering if it makes that much of a difference.

It makes a huge difference on the stock monitor. I doubt it would help with an LCD. I would try the amp on your current monitor before you jump to LCD.

6 months later
#36 11 years ago

Installed the Ultimarc video amp in my RFM last night and like everyone has said here there was an astounding difference in the display. My installation was a little more complicated. Although I have the Wells Gardner monitor my video card did not have the required 5V output on pin #9 of the connector.
So when I first plugged the amp in I had no picture what so ever.
I ran a wire into the computer box, found the red wire from an unused plug out of the power supply, checked to be sure it was 5V, connected my wire to it and then soldered the other end to the positive lead of the cap on the back of the Ultimarc amp.
Then everything worked perfectly with the colors & detail of the monitor being outstanding. This is a highly recommended mod ! Thanks to Alveolus & Nibbles for posting pictures of the wiring, they helped a lot !

#37 11 years ago

Hey - thanks for the info. I bought the video amp board a few months ago and this is one of my Christmas vacation projects to do (along with putting together my Nucore unit). I also have the WG monitor, so this will save a little bit of frustration if I get a blank screen after the installation.

#38 11 years ago

Just got RFM this past weekend and ordered an Amp yesterday. Pictures will be a great help.
Just finding out Nucore is no longer available. Is anyone selling Nucore? Would be willing to build one if I could get a list of parts that would work.
RFM is fun.
Happy Holidays
Andy

#39 11 years ago

First thing you have to determine is which monitor you have in your RFM. It will be either a WG -Wells Gardner or a Ducksan. Everything I have read indicates the WG is the better of the two as far as reliability, but both will benefit from the addition of the video amp.

The pictures posted by Alveolus & Nibbles are for wiring the WG monitor. The Ducksan is a little more difficult & requires you to cut a trace on the Ultimarc amp p.c.b. to separate the vertical & horizontal sync. There are many posts showing how to hook up this monitor too.

One other important tip would be to be sure to turn down the brightness & contrast pots on the board behind the translite before you turn the pin on. Once you install the amp and everything is working you can re-adjust these two controls to your liking.

I don't know of anyone currently selling Nucore. "Pinball Life" shows it on there website but it is not available currently.

Good luck this amp is very worth while, you won't believe the difference in the display !

#40 11 years ago

Thank You
Looks like I have a WG- Wells Gardner.
Happy Holidays

#41 11 years ago

After reading this post, I just purchased a video amplifier and can not wait to see the difference. The site says they will not re-open and ship until January 7th but thats ok. Now I just have to figure out what kind of amp that I have and hope it is a WG. Is there any easy way to distinguish the type of monitor without having to look deep into the cabinet?

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

My monitor is a Samsung tube as well, you likely have a Wells-Gardener.
But check the connection to the board on the backside of the pin in the head, depending on which Chasis you have the board connection will look different.

Quoted from PinJer:

After reading this post, I just purchased a video amplifier and can not wait to see the difference. The site says they will not re-open and ship until January 7th but thats ok. Now I just have to figure out what kind of amp that I have and hope it is a WG. Is there any easy way to distinguish the type of monitor without having to look deep into the cabinet?

Take the back panel off and look at the connectors to the monitor board as shown in Nibbles post above. Good luck.

#43 11 years ago

Did anyone ever get a chance to take a step-by-step video and post it somewhere on how to install the video amplifier from start to finish? Mine just arrived a few days ago and the pinball tech has not responded to me so I figure I might take a shot at it if there was a video. Thanks.

#44 11 years ago

I plan to do this in the next couple days (take a before and after video). Can't believe I ordered on Xmas Eve and it got from the UK to Kansas City on the 27th!!!!!!!!!!!!

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from PinJer:

Did anyone ever get a chance to take a step-by-step video and post it somewhere on how to install the video amplifier from start to finish? Mine just arrived a few days ago and the pinball tech has not responded to me so I figure I might take a shot at it if there was a video. Thanks.

let me know how it works out when you get to it. I was thinking of doing it as well but I think a video would work best for me as well.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from voxtech:

First thing you have to determine is which monitor you have in your RFM. It will be either a WG -Wells Gardner or a Ducksan.

I'm pretty sure my RFM had a Samsung monitor in it. Is this even possible? It was a HUO machine, and I was the second owner, so I'm fairly certain it was the original monitor.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm pretty sure my RFM had a Samsung monitor in it. Is this even possible? It was a HUO machine, and I was the second owner, so I'm fairly certain it was the original monitor.

You may be confusing the monitor manufacturer with the tube manufacturer.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

You may be confusing the monitor manufacturer with the tube manufacturer.

This is quite possible. All I know is that something back there said Samsung on it.

#49 11 years ago

I have one to install too. I'll see if I can film it when I install it, but it might not be in the next couple days.

Al also installed his recently so maybe he can take a little video of his already installed one too.

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out our Bride of Pinbot at 75 Shirt at http://www.pinballshirts.com

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This is quite possible. All I know is that something back there said Samsung on it.

Yours was a Wells-Gardner. I know they guy that bought it. The display looks amazing with the video upgrade. So much so, I decided to upgrade mine. Unfortunately, I have the Duckscan and the upgrade is not as simple. Hopefully, I will get it installed in the next few days.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amazing-rfm-video-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.