(Topic ID: 229235)

Amazing Pinball Deals that got away- Whats yours?

By pinballplusMN

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by dung
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181112_084201 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TractorDoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago

A guy in Kentucky texted me about a non working White Water and F-14 Tomcat he wanted to sell -- both for $1700.

I called the guy, we talked about the machines, he sent me pictures. If he was an hour or two away I would have been in the truck and on the way to get them. . . he was over five hours away and would not be available to meet up for a couple days. I made the mistake of showing him some goodwill and told him that his asking price was too low. . . he said to make him an offer and I told him $4K not knowing anything more than I could see in the pics. A day goes by and I get a reply back asking if I can go $5K -- more than I was wanting to spend on two unknown functioning games a full days driving away. Another day or two goes by and he says White Water is working and someone wants to offer him $6K if I am still interested (he'd prefer a local sale). I just said Thanks, but no.

Kept the text on my phone. . . just to remind me some deals are still out there.

I've since seen the F-14 listed for sale as a project here on Pinside so I know someone ended up with them!

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah the old “offering way much more money then they guy is asking” strategy often backfires. Well played!

The way I look at it, if I didn't tell him someone else would have. Who knows how many other people the guy contacted besides myself? I offered what I thought the games were worth to me. I know its not always reciprocal, but I do try to treat people the way I'd like to be treated.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Here’s how I like to be treated - if I put something up for sale and someone agrees to my asking price, i appreciate it and sell them the item.

That's because you probably do your research and are a smart seller. This guy didn't know the first thing about pinball machines -- they were his dad's and he was cleaning out a shop trying to help the family out. I know it was a gamble on my part and yes, I lost.

Quoted from dothedoo:

True.....while you were on your way to pick them up someone would have said, "I would've given you more than that" and the dollar signs would have appeared in his eyes. Then you get the text that he's been offered more money....and the auction has begun.

Exactly. Given the distance and potential time frame for pickup I knew the odds of someone else sneaking in were likely.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TractorDoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amazing-pinball-deals-that-got-away-whats-yours?tu=TractorDoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.