decals cut out 003.jpg
decals cut out 002.jpg
decals cut out 001.jpg
image-100.jpg
image.jpg
cabprotectors.PNG
original inserts 3 wisely.jpg
wiselybad.JPG
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Some here may know my historical IJ debauchery from my early days of starting in this hobby.(if not you can read my story under my profile) IJ has, quite literally, been my holy grail machine. I have always looked and never found that perfect one. However I have never stopped trying and was able to hook up to get an amazing restored IJ with the modifications I want (ark, jackpot light board, color DMD, LED's, etc).

Toward the end of the process it was recommended to me (not by the person doing the restoration) that I should consider having the playfield touched up and clearcoated because of some of the wearing at the edges of some of the inserts. The wearing was not that bad but wanting the machine pristine, I went ahead and asked that the playfield be sent to Lethbridge, Alberta to some guys (I have never been in contact so dont know who) that apparently do really good work. They came highly recommended.

After a total of around 8 months of waiting I finally picked my IJ up a couple weeks ago and was floored to see that the inserts are faded to the point that they do not show the color when a bulb it put behind them. They are even faded to the point that the text and graphics on them are clearly missing. They look completely translucent compared to the originals which were full color and opaque. I am not sure if this was how the decals came or if something was rubbed on the decals after they were installed (perhaps something to clean before clearcoating?).

I have asked my contact to send the pics to the guys but I have yet to hear anything from them. Regardless of what happened, I don't feel this machine should have been clearcoated with the decals looking like this. I post this for two reasons - ONE... a warning for those doing playfield restorations. Careful who you deal with and if you are doing yourself watch out for this as it is truly terrible. TWO... is there anything I can do at this point to get the playfield decals to match the high quality of the rest of the machine? Has anyone seen or had this happen before? Here are pics of the full machine and close up of the choose wisely (worst insert) to show you what the mess is I am talking about. The last pic is of the choose wisely how it looked before the playfield restoration.

full machine-6.JPGfull machine-6.JPG
front-605.jpgfront-605.jpg
right side-133.JPGright side-133.JPG
wiselybad.JPGwiselybad.JPG
original inserts 3 wisely.jpgoriginal inserts 3 wisely.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Never ever listen to someone's recommendation unless you know that someone and know for a fact, they know what they're talking about. Too many times they've never really seen how well some can do this type of work.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Never ever listen to someone's recommendation unless you know that someone and know for a fact, they know what they're talking about. Too many times they've never really seen how well some can do this type of work.

I agree but the person who recommended them has seen their work and had them do work. I do know the someone who recommended them very well and trust him 100%. The decals they used were from Classic Arcades... perhaps that was the issue? Still should they not have known how bad they were once they stuck them on?

#4 9 years ago

Clearly they never compared the new decals to the old ones, installed them and then just clear coated it. ( after 8 months mind you )

Sorry to hear about this but thanks for posting as I was thinking of using them.

#5 9 years ago

I'd be kinda pissed about that myself. Decals and the clear would have looked a lot better. The only thing they did was cleared something that really need a touch up. Good luck on this one.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Clearly they never compared the new decals to the old ones, installed them and then just clear coated it. ( after 8 months mind you )
Sorry to hear about this but thanks for posting as I was thinking of using them.

Don't get me wrong, I have heard they do good work. However this was my experience. The fact that I have still not heard anything back with regards to what happened is the most annoying. Looking at the decals, they have a swirling look to them So I am left to wonder was it the decals or was it something else. Also the work they did in Lethbdrige might have only been 5-6months. I can't remember. The total resto was 8 I think.

It should not have taken a rocket scientist to look at the choose wisely decal and notice the text and graphics are missing.

#7 9 years ago

Man that's a shame. I would send a certified letter to them (copy to your lawyer) and clearly state a timeframe within which you expect them to respond in writing. Also explain what remedy you expect: money back, new decals installed and cleared, etc. and by when you expect the remedy to be completed.

You also might post this over in vid's guide to playfield restoration. My guess would be you could put new/better decals down over the crappy ones and then clear again. Kind of depends on how thick the clear currently is.

#8 9 years ago

edit: Maybe touchups would be difficult and not look %100. Only the real experts could say for sure.

You haven't heard anything back because they probably don't want to deal with it.

Rob

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I think whoever did this should have known those inserts only needed touchup, they did not need artwork replacement.
You haven't heard anything back because they probably don't want to deal with it.
Rob

Funny thing (but not really) is that originally we just asked for a touch up and then clearcoat. However they did not want to do that because they said that I would not be happy with it. Still we said that we only wanted touch ups and they said they don't want to just do touch ups because it will reflect badly on them when it does not come out perfect... So I ended up paying more money for the decal replacement and this is what I got.

With regards to sending a letter demanding something... What do I demand? My money back I guess? I don't have much confidence that these guys can fix the mess they made. Would be great if new and proper decals can be put over and then recleared but I have no idea about that. Where do you suggest me posting the question?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Funny thing (but not really) is that originally we just asked for a touch up and then clearcoat. However they did not want to do that because they said that I would not be happy with it. Still we said that we only wanted touch ups and they said they don't want to just do touch ups because it will reflect badly on them when it does not come out perfect... So I ended up paying more money for the decal replacement and this is what I got.
With regards to sending a letter demanding something... What do I demand? My money back I guess? I don't have much confidence that these guys can fix the mess they made. Would be great if new and proper decals can be put over and then recleared but I have no idea about that. Where do you suggest me posting the question?

I don't think it's their fault that the decals are not exact replacements for the artwork. If they did touchups, perhaps it would not have been perfect either. Honestly, I think you either live with it or try to find another playfield.

Rob

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I don't think it's their fault that the decals are not exact replacements for the artwork. If they did touchups, perhaps it would not have been perfect either. Honestly, I think you either live with it or try to find another playfield.
Rob

I don't know.... They do playfield resto's. Clearly the decals are TOTALY different, im surprised this wasn't noticed before clearing. In the current state, I would have taken the just touch-ups option and hoped for the best. ( Yes, I know they talked you in and honestly I would have done what they suggested as well)

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

It's actually not a matter of exact replacements but a matter of the decals being completely translucent with no color and text faded out. I agree the decals were not their fault but it is not their fault for installing them and then clearcoating over them? When you pay decent money for a professional playfield restoration should it be the customer to make sure the product they are using is correct for the job? I had no idea what decals they were using... Also I still don't know if it was bad decals or something done to them as part of the process.

As a player I can live with it but as a collector I can not. I will have to look for another playfield if this one can not be fixed. You won't believe how bad it looks with white light behind... You can't see anything. I put colored lights in which helps but still really bad.

#13 9 years ago

Strange, even if you look at replacement decals, they are nicely coloured... Id redo it if it were me..

#14 9 years ago

They would of had to sand off the old color, then put these decals on... Seems like they should of noticed.

If you look at vids restoration threads it def could be fixed, just effort and have to strip playfield.

#15 9 years ago

I suspect they were hoping you would just accept it. Don't know what you paid but the inserts should be better than that I'd think. Cabinet looks nice from the pics. I do not understand why anyone is using anything but these to protect the cab from the legs at this point. $15 and the legs do not touch the cab.

cabprotectors.PNGcabprotectors.PNG

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I suspect they were hoping you would just accept it. Don't know what you paid but the inserts should be better than that I'd think. Cabinet looks nice from the pics. I do not understand why anyone is using anything but these to protect the cab from the legs at this point. $15 and the legs do not touch the cab.

cabprotectors.PNG 76 KB

The machine has the metal can protectors installed. Also the felt ones just for EXTRA protection

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

The decals they used were from Classic Arcades... perhaps that was the issue? Still should they not have known how bad they were once they stuck them on?

Ugh, last place I would want the people restoring my playfield to buy decals.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Ugh, last place I would want the people restoring my playfield to buy decals.

Is this the same outfit selling Getaway decals on Ebay? I need to buy some and I can either get them from them or Mr Pinball in Australia.

#19 9 years ago

They did an excellent job on my Gnr.
Sorry your IJ didn't work out.

Either they or your restorer should have noticed before assembly.
I'm sure they will fix the issues for you.

#20 9 years ago

The last picture was the before restoration decals correct? From what I've seen it didon't look like it needed new decals other than the black trim. also typically with decals your double them up if light bleeds through. as it is most restorers make their own decals.

Maybe you can get a few restorers to give you an estimate for repair then discuss this with the guys you used.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

They did an excellent job on my Gnr.
Sorry your IJ didn't work out.
Either they or your restorer should have noticed before assembly.
I'm sure they will fix the issues for you.

I appreciate that. My restorer has agreed to do whatever he needs to to make it right (depopulate and repopulate playfield, etc). However he can not do the playfield repair. I have no direct contact with the playfield guys so I am waiting for them to be in contact with others. I will probably take over direct communication, if I can. I like the idea that you think they might be able to do the repair. I guess you would recommend and have confidence in them doing so?

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

The last picture was the before restoration decals correct? From what I've seen it didon't look like it needed new decals other than the black trim. also typically with decals your double them up if light bleeds through. as it is most restorers make their own decals.
Maybe you can get a few restorers to give you an estimate for repair then discuss this with the guys you used.

Yeah this was mentioned before and then edited. We only wanted them to do black touch ups but they pushed hard that we needed to do decals to make it look right... Oh well. Too late to go back on that decision. I can only look forward now and try to figure out how to fix. I did email a few playfield restorers to see what they recommend and what they will charge me to fix.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I appreciate that. My restorer has agreed to do whatever he needs to to make it right (depopulate and repopulate playfield, etc). However he can not do the playfield repair. I have no direct contact with the playfield guys so I am waiting for them to be in contact with others. I will probably take over direct communication, if I can. I like the idea that you think they might be able to do the repair. I guess you would recommend and have confidence in them doing so?

I'm sure they are more than capable of fixing it.
Those insert decals were crap to begin with,it looks like they didn't have color to them.
Good luck

#24 9 years ago

Just to restate and be clear.. I am not looking to lynch the guys who did the work. My hope is that when they respond they will be concerned and want to make it right. In the meantime I am just hoping to find someone who has maybe had to redo a playfield after clearcoating and can help me understand what needs to be done to accomplish fixing this correctly.

Maybe the guys who did it originally can or can not fix it. Maybe they will or will not fix it. I just don't know yet. There is a chance that they had no idea how bad these inserts look post restoration. I want to give them some benefit of the doubt until I hear from them.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Just to restate and be clear.. I am not looking to lynch the guys who did the work. My hope is that when they respond they will be concerned and want to make it right. In the meantime I am just hoping to find someone who has maybe had to redo a playfield after clearcoating and can help me understand what needs to be done to accomplish fixing this correctly.
Maybe the guys who did it originally can or can not fix it. Maybe they will or will not fix it. I just don't know yet. There is a chance that they had no idea how bad these inserts look post restoration. I want to give them some benefit of the doubt until I hear from them.

Are playfields for IJ impossible to find?

Rob

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Are playfields for IJ impossible to find?
Rob

Not impossible, but scarce and when found very $$$

#27 9 years ago

Oh oh may be want to post up pics and ask for advice on vids restoration thread.

#28 9 years ago

Oh oh may be want to post up pics and ask for advice on vids restoration thread.

I have done this. Just waiting to hear more specific as to what he suggests can be done. I would be interested in just looking for a playfield and selling this one but I do think they are hard to find in any condition... Never mind a minty restored one.

#29 9 years ago

Wow. Those were some sh*t decals. I can't believe a pf restorer tried to pass that off onto you as an improvement. The decals are missing the white undercoat that is necessary for you to see the color correctly when illuminated from behind.

Most printers don't print with white ink because they are relying on the paper underneath to do that job. Try printing a color photo onto transparencies or overhead projector film and you can see what this looks like. What happens is the colors wash out. Commercial grade equipment can print white.

When redoing pf inserts that aren't' just black text you need to do one of two things. Either print onto a white material (which only works for inserts that have no transparent areas), or print a white layer underneath the colors.

IJ has quite a few inserts with colored ink that have no transparent areas, but not all of them. Well of Souls, Castle Grunewald, and Steal the Stones have clear areas, and I believe most of the faces have clear areas as well (whites of the eyes, teeth, Dr Jone's glasses frames)

They would need to knock all the inserts out and redo this with a better set of decals, or lacking a better set, redo it with a new set of decals but airbrush on some white on the inserts prior to putting on the decals. Which inserts did they "fix" in the game? All of them or just the 12 modes?

I have turned down restoring a IJ pf that had insert damage on the faces because of this exact problem. Without an accurate set of decals you are not going to make it look as good as it was originally.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

They would need to knock all the inserts out and redo this with a better set of decals, or lacking a better set, redo it with a new set of decals but airbrush on some white on the inserts prior to putting on the decals. Which inserts did they "fix" in the game? All of them or just the 12 modes?
I have turned down restoring a IJ pf that had insert damage on the faces because of this exact problem. Without an accurate set of decals you are not going to make it look as good as it was originally.

What do you mean by "knock all the inserts"? I understand that perhaps there are much better decals out there but how to get to the current ones with the thick clearcoat on top? It looks to me like just the 12 modes need to be done. The jackpots and faces below all look fine to me. What would you do to fix? How long would it take and what would it cost?

#31 9 years ago

They'd probably have to either strip the clear back or possibly scrape those affected decal areas off with a chisel then re-apply and then drip an auto clearcoat over those decal areas then feather a new clear coat over top the playfield

#32 9 years ago

scrape those affected decal areas off with a chisel then re-apply and then drip an auto clearcoat over those decal areas then feather a new clear coat over top the playfield

I don't know anything about clearcoating or playfield restoration. However that sounds really bloody scary to me. Have you ever seen it done or done it yourself with good results. Is it as hard to do with excellent results as it sounds?

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

What do you mean by "knock all the inserts"? I understand that perhaps there are much better decals out there but how to get to the current ones with the thick clearcoat on top? It looks to me like just the 12 modes need to be done. The jackpots and faces below all look fine to me. What would you do to fix? How long would it take and what would it cost?

Sand the clear down a little, then cut through the clear around the inserts, then literally push the inserts out of the pf so that they could be sanded down flat, Then re install the inserts, redo the decals, then do some thin fill clear over the inserts, then reshoot the entire pf. I don't do pf's anymore, except for the occasional local jobs.

#34 9 years ago

Wow - this sucks, I agree with post above- its close to what I tried on a play field I had to repair that I had cleared (my work, repair ended ok but not perfect but since I did the entire thing I was happy with result... my concern is NOT that you end up with dead flat glass clear coat- thats easy... its hiding the work under it thats going to require experienced hands)... This is fixable, someone who knows what they are doing will make it right... but I would be dang sure whoever was fixing it had done this before. Too bad, play field is going to have to be stripped again. Good luck!

#35 9 years ago

I'd be more worried about the yellow trim and legs on your machine. Is that just primer before they're re-chromed? Yuck!

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from kismetnumber1:

I'd be more worried about the yellow trim and legs on your machine. Is that just primer before they're re-chromed? Yuck!

Wow that's a nice comment. i bet you are proud of yourself for that one and you should be. I did not pick the powdercoat color as I purchased the machine and it was already done. It doesn't look so bad in person as the yellow matches the cabinet decal yellow perfectly. I am not worried as I can always change them to gold later. That stuff is easy but to fix the playfield is another story.

#37 9 years ago

You don't need to respond to him, buddy. Just remember that opinions are like assholes...and there are plenty of both. Sorry for your troubles, and I hope you get it sorted out.

#38 9 years ago

I just decaled my inserts on indy a few months ago and they look as they should color wise (they were cut wrong though and black line borders cut off). Fake decals on ebay cause problems like this. Your restorer got hosed and didn't pay attention to the detail. The clearcoat was a good idea but you may have been better off sending the playfield to someone who handpaints instead of decals like kruzman.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I just decaled my inserts on indy a few months ago and they look as they should color wise (they were cut wrong though and black line borders cut off). Fake decals on ebay cause problems like this. Your restorer got hosed and didn't pay attention to the detail. The clearcoat was a good idea but you may have been better off sending the playfield to someone who handpaints instead of decals like kruzman.

What decals did you use (from where)? Yeah I would have been much better off to have Kruzman do it but the playfield was not that bad and did not need much work. Ron is booked for over a year with restoration work. He is just doing straight CC right now. I have been in touch with him and sent him the photos. He could not believe how poor those inserts look and brought up the fact that the guys who did it did not even paint the decals in so you can still see the edges of the decals. I did send my email and pics to the guys who did it today. We will see what they say...

#40 9 years ago

I've delt with these shit decals before from Jeff like 6 years ago. They are garbage and I did not use them. Basically sent them back and told him they had to be white backed. Anything with printed color, has to be white backed. Otherwise they end up looking like this. Jeff did make me sets with white backs and they look a lot better. Still not as great as the original art but if the art is chipped off into the backlit parts, you have to redo the insert art with a decal. With IJ, if you do one, you kind of have to do them all, or you going to have that one insert, that the light goes through brightly compared to the others. Which is ok, if it's the black inserts with the red lettering, you can get away with it, but any of the multicolored ones, no so much.

the restorer should have seen this as soon as he put on the first decal. As soon as I did the first one, I knew it looked like shit and wrote jeff to complain. Also got a set from someone down in TX. Those were garbage as well, not only were they translucent like these but they were pixilated to shit. Jeff and planetary should have good sets now that are white backed. Only problem I found, is that they have a minor printing error in the faces for the bottom. The faces don't have the clear spots in the henry's glasses and eyes. they are printed solid white, where the original art has clear parts in it. But they are better than they used to be.

This playfield can be fixed. Can be sanded down and every insert , can score the clear, peel off the decals, fill in and level the clear, redecal and reclear it all in. It's a lot of work but is fixable. I've had to do it before for people from home made restoration jobs.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You don't need to respond to him, buddy. Just remember that opinions are like assholes...and there are plenty of both. Sorry for your troubles, and I hope you get it sorted out.

I agree, but I think the expression is "..everybody has one and they usually stink."

#42 9 years ago

For what it's worth... I quite like the legs. It's very earthy compared to the usual gold shit

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

For what it's worth... I quite like the legs. It's very earthy compared to the usual gold shit

Thanks - I appreciate that! Each to their own. I like the fact that mine looks different. I was going to say the same thing about the gold but decided not to out of fear of offending anyone. As an update, I called the person who did the decals and clearcoat yesterday. He said he wanted to hear from me and sounded genuinly concerned about finding out what was wrong but he was out at the time so said he will call me back soon. Hopefully tonight.

#44 9 years ago

I'm sorry, but I would be pissed if that came back to me. Those decals only needed a slight touchup and go over with the black edges- you can see the right arrow/orbit lane, the black isn't even touched up!

Too rare of a playfield to screw around with, I hope you get some resolution.
GL

#45 9 years ago

yea, it's a shame because that field didn't even need decals to start with. Could have easily been salvaged with original art.

#46 9 years ago

I agree, the decals were unnecessary and a slight touchup is all that was needed.
Since those guys talked you into the decals and supplied them, they are fully responsible for this mess.

Didn't anyone notice this when the playfield came back and before it was installed back into the game?
What a waste of time and effort swapping the playfield out and now having to do it all over again.
Did you install the playfield or did you pay someone to do it?

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from theBRAIN:

I agree, the decals were unnecessary and a slight touchup is all that was needed.
Since those guys talked you into the decals and supplied them, they are fully responsible for this mess.
Didn't anyone notice this when the playfield came back and before it was installed back into the game?
What a waste of time and effort swapping the playfield out and now having to do it all over again.
Did you install the playfield or did you pay someone to do it?

To be fair, the company that did the playfield did not order the decals. The decals were ordered by someone else (not me) and were thought to be correct. The playfield guys just installed them and cleared over them without looking at them (i guess) and then someone else (the person who did the restoration) repopulated the playfield and put everything together. I was only providing the money and was going with what others were recommending be done.

My hope is that the person who did the restoration will help me out and swap the playfield in and out for me at no cost but at this point there is no guarantee of that either. I am the one at the end of the chain and so I am the one holding the ball. ON TOP OF IT ALL - I cant find the correct insert decals anywhere online. So I might be stuck with having to find a new playfield.

I have had a response from the guy that did the playfield but I am not sure I can post it here. I do need to let others know how horrible this guy is. I have never talked to the guy but I guess he just "heard" that I was not happy. His long, long and ongoing texts were so full of profanity and vicious personal attacks that I had to block his texts. I may post some of it here later but right now I dont even want to look at it right now because it is extremely hurtful and hateful. I can say that NO ONE should deal with this guy. I never even talked to him and his disrespectful tone and abusive language should not be tolerated.

#48 9 years ago

I would just strip the playfield again and contact one of the more professional well-known restorers here in the US of A to handle it.

#49 9 years ago

He's just bent because you're calling him out. Maybe it's not their fault about the decals, but it's their fault for installing them and not noticing! They scraped off more than just letters, how did this go unoticed?

You need to get in contact with a pro to fix this correctly. A lot of work and $$$ but you're never going to be happy as it sits.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

They scraped off more than just letters, how did this go unoticed?

What do you mean by this? Yes I realize it needs to go to a professional at this point. I plan on getting through this and letting everyone know how it works out. I appreciate the support here on the forum. The guy tried to tell me I am just too picky and I am never happy... But again I have never spoken to him so have no idea why he thinks that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 1,419.00
12,500 (OBO)
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amazing-ij-resto-except-lethbridge-playfield-mess and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.