Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by Clytor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

075BB8DE-E647-4D4E-BB57-36972DE84F0F (resized).png
    87CB59C3-7957-4A3F-8AF7-B3A4750162CF (resized).png
    3DD19491-7500-4B56-8F0E-AC445B6F437E (resized).jpeg
    F2C82524-6753-4B77-AE83-E2A79CABFD65 (resized).jpeg
    3C38726C-5B0C-4DBF-BC04-B9C4E7B0FCCD (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

I got my license a bit over 30 years ago. Maybe the high end HF rig prices have gone up, but then they have features which we did not even dream 30 years ago. And today you can get a Chinese OK quality VHF/UHF handheld at tenth of the price 30 years ago, again with lots of new features.

Got my Tech license maybe 30 years ago, but don't really talk - mostly listen occasionally. That's always been the case. I actually got my license so I could legally carry a wideband receiver in the car to listen to the Blue Angles and also a shuttle launch we were attending. Nowadays I listen to the SkyWarn during bad storms. Since I was involved w/RF design, I already knew the tech part of the test, just need to know the rules. So sort of a no brainer to get the Tech license.

My first HT was purchased at the Dayton Hamfest. But the prices for the VHF/UHF Baofeng HT's are crazy cheap (I bought one just to play around with), which is what I think most people would use to get their feet wet in the hobby, then maybe move on to better equipment if needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if a fair chunk of people buying the Baofeng's don't even have their license and use them instead for other purposes.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I just registered to take my tech license exam Feb 23rd. Ended up seeing a random YouTube vid on the baofeng and picked one up for $22. Enjoying listening to the old men on there talk about their day. Excited to actually be licensed to participate and try making more contacts. I'll probably upgrade to something more powerful than 5W eventually. Seems like a pretty cool hobby.

Look into attending the Dayton Hamvention: https://hamvention.org/

Been a number of years since I attended, maybe I should make a point of going this year.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I just registered to take my tech license exam Feb 23rd. Ended up seeing a random YouTube vid on the baofeng and picked one up for $22. Enjoying listening to the old men on there talk about their day. Excited to actually be licensed to participate and try making more contacts. I'll probably upgrade to something more powerful than 5W eventually. Seems like a pretty cool hobby.

Another fun thing to play around with is a cheapie SDR (software defined radio). No transmit, just receive, but neat nonetheless. There's free software that's rather impressive: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/big-list-rtl-sdr-supported-software/

I used one to track aircraft via ADS-B, made an antenna out of a tin can and a short piece of wire. USB interface (works w/Windows), but I used a Raspberry Pi to control it.

https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Defined/dp/B0129EBDS2/ref=sr_1_3

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Thanks I'm going to order this. I have a piece of coax running into the room where my PC is. I might throw an antenna on it and see what I can hear.

I should add the front-end (the part the receives the signal) is probably wide open - no RF filtering (or maybe a little at the band edges). So a nearby TV station, cell tower, even noisy electronics gizmo in the house can affect sensitivity. Just something to be aware of. Not a design defect, just the way it is. If you stick a wire on it next to the computer...you'll likely pick up a bunch of trash.

I've heard it's just an ultra-wideband amplifier used in the cable TV industry, repurposed. But a great, low cost option to play around with.

Here's some planes I tracking with a Rasp Pi and a SDR, via ADS-B.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

This guy makes great videos.

I miss Hara Arena. The computer show was awesome too.

Last time I went was maybe the last year at Hara. So what's the current place like? Might finally get off my retired tush this year and attend just to get out of the house.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amateur-radio-affordability-?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.