Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Clytor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

075BB8DE-E647-4D4E-BB57-36972DE84F0F (resized).png
    87CB59C3-7957-4A3F-8AF7-B3A4750162CF (resized).png
    3DD19491-7500-4B56-8F0E-AC445B6F437E (resized).jpeg
    F2C82524-6753-4B77-AE83-E2A79CABFD65 (resized).jpeg
    3C38726C-5B0C-4DBF-BC04-B9C4E7B0FCCD (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Seems to me a radio like this 20 years ago cost around $400.
    [quoted image]

A frickin-men!!!

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:There are some nice old men (OM's) in the hobby. For instance:
    My beginnings into ham radio was when I was a teenage paperboy. I went collecting (that's when paperboys had to go house to house and collect the monthly subscription fee)....went collecting and the man opens the door and says "come with me." He opens up his garage and there were tables filled with radios, and a ham station set up in the corner. He takes me over to an old Hallicrafters Receiver SX-16 and says "here...this is for you. Thank you for doing a good job."
    I don't remember now how I got that monster home, but I do remember listening to shortwave in my youth on that radio. I'll never forget listening to WWV, Fort Collins Colorado, "at the tone the time will be...."
    That was a nice old guy for sure.

Thanks for posting this. So many negative experiences. FYI, the SX-16 is a very collectable receiver
    now! I'm one of those old guys (68) that helps new hams and if any aspiring hams are in the area
    and need some help, let me know.

Manufactured ham equipment, with the exception of the very low end gear, has always
    been expensive.

#53 1 year ago

my dad and his buddies were all ham guys. we used to do the dayton hamfest every year. it was alot of fun. all of the little electronics projects you could purchase at those fests were awesome.

they even ran their own repeater out of melody villiage, ohio. i used to pop into my dads electronics lab/workshop in the basement, he always had his 10 meter and i believe 20 meter radios up and would talk to people all over the world. even had a map that he would put a pin in when he chatted with someone.

man i miss those days and spending time with my old man doing that stuff. thanks for the memories with this post!!

2 months later
    #54 11 months ago

I got my novice license at the age of 10. A bunch of my family was into ham radio, especially my father. We used to have a tower in the yard that was somewhere around 80 feet tall. I was never super active on it but would go to the ham conventions(Frostfest here in Richmond) every year.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amateur-radio-affordability-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.