(Topic ID: 336066)

Am I the only pinsider that has never owned a pin...?

By Emig5m

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are you a pinside member who has never owned a pin before?”

• Yes, I'm a member of pinside and have never owned a pin before. 4 votes
      5%
    • Of course I have owned a pin before. 72 votes
      95%

(76 votes)

#1 11 months ago

Just curious if there are others on here that have never even owned one pin before.

#2 11 months ago

That is an interesting question. I think you should consider adding a poll.
    -Mike

#3 11 months ago

That would be a fun poll! Totally assuming, there are lots of speculation posts, but just as many owner/repair assistance ones. Thinking its a majority of owners but could be wrong!

#4 11 months ago
    Quoted from Emig5m:

Just curious if there are others on here that have never even owned one pin before.

You've meen a forum member for 7 years? How could you not?

#5 11 months ago

Definitely, add a poll.

It would be really interesting to see how many others have never owned their own pin. I would love to hear the reasons why:

Too expensive ...

Easy access to an arcade or pinbar ...

No space ...

Don't want the spouse or significant other to leave ...

It's only a minor hobby that you like to dabble in but have more important hobbies that get your discretionary dollars (like underwater basket weaving, etc) ...

Not really sure why ...

I would love to hear what people have to say.

#6 11 months ago

I owned a pin prior to Pinside existing as I’m sure many of us have.

#7 11 months ago

My friend is a Pinside member. He has no room in his apartment. He would like to have at least one. He goes to arcades often to play.

#8 11 months ago

Started with a cheap f14 years ago, ballooned to half dozen pins. Sold them all to get a NIB. Sold that a month before Covid and then lost my job of 18 years. I’ve been pin free since, unless you consider video pinball as owning a pin

#9 11 months ago

I only had this https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/alive before I started my account.

#10 11 months ago

Question reminds me of a co-worker I used to know. Didn’t own a motorcycle but had the costume. Would dress up like a biker and head to Daytona for bike week.

#11 11 months ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Question reminds me of a co-worker I used to know. Didn’t own a motorcycle but had the costume. Would dress up like a biker and head to Daytona for bike week.

Not sure that's the same.
    Pinball you can play at all sorts of locations and friends homes without owning a game.
    Motorcycling is something where maybe you could rent one, but you sort of have to own one.

Going to the VFW show this weekend, and I will leave there feeling like I don't own many games at all.

#12 11 months ago

I only got my first pin 3 years ago, and I joined Pinside over 10 years ago, and lurked longer than that. Rest assured, your day will come.

#13 11 months ago

I just picked up FF last month after almost 5 years in pinball, so I still voted as don't own for the long gap. Also, you never stated why you didn't have one.

#14 11 months ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Not sure that's the same.
    Pinball you can play at all sorts of locations and friends homes without owning a game.
    Motorcycling is something where maybe you could rent one, but you sort of have to own one.
    Going to the VFW show this weekend, and I will leave there feeling like I don't own many games at all.

It isn’t, thread just reminded me of him. Hell, all I own are EM’s, just my preference.

#15 11 months ago

I’ve seen a number of people post that they don’t have pins. A surprising number of teens and 20 somethings (like myself), many of whom post because they’ve been hanging out at their local Barcade or pinball museum!

It’s okay to be a huge fan of pinball without being an owner on this website.

I joined here almost 7 years ago to get my first machine because I didn’t want to just wing it on CL without a clue. Now I own 43+/- machines and run an arcade business.

#16 11 months ago

A friend of mine who easily could afford to buy a couple of NIB pins won't do it.

His logic: I want to play the newest pins that come out and then play the new ones after that, rinse-repeat, I like variety and I don't have to worry about spending 10-13k on a NIB that is more than likely going to have issues and down time: See Rush and SD thread. I walk into the barcade, BS with friends, watch some sports, eat, drink & play all of the new pins with no worry and lots of variety to pick from & go home.

#17 11 months ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

You've meen a forum member for 7 years? How could you not?

I originally came here to get into contact with a former KLOV member for his custom control panel overlay for a game that I was restoring. :p

#18 11 months ago
    Quoted from dpadam450:

I just picked up FF last month after almost 5 years in pinball, so I still voted as don't own for the long gap. Also, you never stated why you didn't have one.

I don't have one because I was never truly a fan of pinball in the past....until now. For some strange reason I have been on a pinball kick... was at Game Vault and Silverball over the weekend playing pins all day for two days straight. Around the time Metallica came out a pro version was in the affordable range for me, but now it seems like the train left without me and they're too expensive now. Also, I don't really have any more room with my six uprights taking up the minimal space that I have.... Sure if a great deal came along for a game that I like and wanted I would take my chainsaw and start cutting down walls and find a way to make room, I'd get rid of my entire home theater system that I don't use, but I don't foresee 2014 era affordability happening. :p Also, I dread the thought of dealing with getting them inside up steps and all that...dealt with it with my uprights...I got squashed with an upright slipping on the laminate floor...lol...hate trying to move arcades inside lol... But yea, currently the affordability train (to me) left me years ago would now be my main reason to not own one... I shoulda cashed out on my crypto last fall when it was booming and I was waaaaaaaay in the positive zone...lol.

#19 11 months ago
    Quoted from gjm:

A friend of mine who easily could afford to buy a couple of NIB pins won't do it.
    His logic: I want to play the newest pins that come out and then play the new ones after that, rinse-repeat, I like variety and I don't have to worry about spending 10-13k on a NIB that is more than likely going to have issues and down time: See Rush and SD thread. I walk into the barcade, BS with friends, watch some sports, eat, drink & play all of the new pins with no worry and lots of variety to pick from & go home.

See that's where I'm different. My favorite games I will buy and never part with. Like if I was to buy a Cirqus Voltaire, Metallica, AC/DC, G n' R Limited I would own those games till I die. Like I have never sold any of my uprights and don't plan to since I only choose to own games that I absolutely love and know will last me for eternity. I love to play all the new games too, I can just go to my arcades in the area and play all the new ones when they come out. But the games I truly love I would buy and never part with like my current uprights so that I can play in the comfort of my home without dealing with all the noise and everything else in a public setting. :p

#20 11 months ago

Nothing like seriously looking someone in the face when they ask how many games you have and the honest answer is “I don’t know”

#21 11 months ago
    Quoted from joecitizen:

I only got my first pin 3 years ago, and I joined Pinside over 10 years ago, and lurked longer than that. Rest assured, your day will come.

I hope so... I know it will probably eventually happen because this is how my mind works... No matter how hard I try to resist something, once something is stuck in my mind I can delay it for some time but eventually I will cave in. It's happened to me a million times before. Like for the last five years I said that I would never pay the price for another brand new vehicle but I had a new Ridgeline in my mind since about 2018 but stood firm that I would never pay the outrageous prices of a new truck (my former truck was a 2004) but every Sunday passing the Honda dealer when doing weekend shopping I would stop in and look at them wishing that I had a nice new modernized truck....that's exactly how I ended up with my previous truck...and last summer I caved in and got a brand new one lol... but man the prices of stuff anymore...

#22 11 months ago
    Quoted from Emig5m:

I hope so... I know it will probably eventually happen because this is how my mind works... No matter how hard I try to resist something, once something is stuck in my mind I can delay it for some time but eventually I will cave in. It's happened to me a million times before. Like for the last five years I said that I would never pay the price for another brand new vehicle but I had a new Ridgeline in my mind since about 2018 but stood firm that I would never pay the outrageous prices of a new truck (my former truck was a 2004) but every Sunday passing the Honda dealer when doing weekend shopping I would stop in and look at them wishing that I had a nice new modernized truck....that's exactly how I ended up with my previous truck...and last summer I caved in and got a brand new one lol... but man the prices of stuff anymore...

I'll bet your first pin will come from a connection you make in this very thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-the-only-pinsider-that-has-never-owned-a-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.