6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Chippewa-Pin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is it a load of crap everytime a sell claims a stupid low number of plays?”

• Yep, Total BS 62 votes
      55%
    • Nope, everyone ever is the most honest person in the world 9 votes
      8%
    • I don't really give a crap because they are asking way too much money for that puppy. 42 votes
      37%

(113 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

w082326a.jpg
    ferrari.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

So, I don't get it. Everytime I have ever seen ANYONE say:
    "HUO under 100 plays" "less than 30 plays" blah, blah, blah

I think in my head, what a load of sh*t.

I mean, I get a new game, I play it more than 20 time in the first frigging hour. And you mean to tell me you have had this game for 2,3,4,10, more years, and it has only ever had 30 games put on it? Clearly you didn't like the game , so why have you held onto your $4000 Brand new game, for so long.

Maybe I am missing something, or maybe it really is just as much BS as I think it is...

sorry, i just had to vent about this.

#2 6 years ago

Dunno but either way (true or not), it's all about playfield wear etc.
    If it looks minty, doesn't matter what they're claiming.

#3 6 years ago

I agree. If this is response to my question about the HUO POTC I don't necessarily buy it either. I've had my Tron since march and don't feel like it gets played much. Ran an audit the other day.....over 1200 plays. Very easy to be deceived. I would have guessed maybe 400-500.

#4 6 years ago

Only thing that matters to me in terms of buying is the condition of the pin. I could care less about all the acronyms/words used to describe it.

#5 6 years ago

I have yet to check the number of plays on any ge I have owned. I just play them and enjoy them.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from skristof:

So, I don't get it. Everytime I have ever seen ANYONE say:
    "HUO under 100 plays" "less than 30 plays" blah, blah, blah
    I think in my head, what a load of sh*t.
    I mean, I get a new game, I play it more than 20 time in the first frigging hour. And you mean to tell me you have had this game for 2,3,4,10, more years, and it has only ever had 30 games put on it? Clearly you didn't like the game , so why have you held onto your $4000 Brand new game, for so long.
    Maybe I am missing something, or maybe it really is just as much BS as I think it is...

Well, I don't appreciate it when people like you don't believe it. My BSM and Tron LE both have under 100 plays on them. So did my TF and LOTR when I sold them. You don't know my current situation and whether or not my machines can be played at the moment, so who are you to question me and call it BS if I was going to sell one of these tomorrow and say it has under 100 plays? I know a lot of times people do lie and make up low numbers when it's not true, but in my situation it's legit and wouldn't appreciate someone questioning my honesty.

#7 6 years ago

I ride bikes and see guys with Harley's that have no miles but are years old . People really do buy cool shit and not use it. Makes no sense but it happens.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I agree. If this is response to my question about the HUO POTC I don't necessarily buy it either. I've had my Tron since march and don't feel like it gets played much. Ran an audit the other day.....over 1200 plays. Very easy to be deceived. I would have guessed maybe 400-500.

You aren't wrong in your assumption. It just drives me crazy sometimes, I see these claims pretty often and I just tend to wonder "how is that even possible"

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

who are you to question me and call it BS if I was going to sell one of these tomorrow and say it has under 100 plays?

Maybe I am the guy who is going to buy it.

Now, I'm not saying it's impossible. In fact, I did say

Quoted from skristof:

Maybe I am missing something

So maybe you can fill me in... Why buy a game, and barely play it for years?

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from skristof:

So maybe you can fill me in... Why buy a game, and barely play it for years?

In my situation I didn't buy them with intentions of not playing them, but made a promise to myself that I would remodel my gameroom first so they could all be setup nicely for enjoyment otherwise I knew it would never get done. It's a pet pieve of mine when I see someone who has a pinball collection of 10-100K in machines but their gameroom looks like a dungeon. But over the past few years more important things came up in my life and finishing the gameroom was put on the back burner. So when I get my games I typically wrap them up and put them in storage. Someday when my gameroom is done and they are all setup I expect to put a ton of plays on them and make up for lost time, trust me. But unfortunately for now they have to sit idle. I know my situation is not the norm but just wanted to show how it can happen. Even though I know I cannot play my games I still buy them when I find a title I want because there is no guarantee I will be able to get the ones I want down the road when my gameroom is done.

#11 6 years ago

I've been in the collector car hobby since the mid-90's.

I've got a couple of old cars that I've put lots of miles on, I've got some that I've put less than 200 miles on.

There are a lot of reasons for this... some take a lot of maintenance, some are hard to drive, some just aren't that much fun to drive, but I love the LOOK... so they sit in the warehouse, and I wax them, occasionally start them up, and otherwise just enjoy their presence and my pride of ownership and custodianship.

I would imagine that for some, their pinballs are much the same.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

People really do buy cool shit and not use it.

Bogus.

#13 6 years ago

I can say my dr dude has 0 plays but the playfield has wear from not being used ever. Factory reset on these pins clear plays. Now the doodle bug I have has 63,346 plays gotta love the em play counter.

#14 6 years ago

If people buy pins and not use them, then what's the point??

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

+1

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Ditto. I wouldn't buy a pin if I had no intention of playing it. I guess that differentiates between the player and the collector, I suppose.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from balbers:

I guess that differentiates between the player and the collector

The player and the neglector.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

In my situation I didn't buy them with intentions of not playing them, but made a promise to myself that I would remodel my gameroom first so they could all be setup nicely for enjoyment otherwise I knew it would never get done. It's a pet pieve of mine when I see someone who has a pinball collection of 10-100K in machines but their gameroom looks like a dungeon. But over the past few years more important things came up in my life and finishing the gameroom was put on the back burner. So when I get my games I typically wrap them up and put them in storage. Someday when my gameroom is done and they are all setup I expect to put a ton of plays on them and make up for lost time, trust me. But unfortunately for now they have to sit idle. I know my situation is not the norm but just wanted to show how it can happen. Even though I know I cannot play my games I still buy them when I find a title I want because there is no guarantee I will be able to get the ones I want down the road when my gameroom is done.

Thanks for a well put-together response. But what's everyone else's excuse!

Maybe they only every turned it on roughly 20,30,40 times. But put on 5-10 games a time? Maybe they just can't count... realistically, I don't think the world will ever know.

"How many licks does it take..."

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The player and the neglector.

Agreed!

#20 6 years ago

I smell bacon

#21 6 years ago

Three words to remember when buying anything used: condition, condition, condition.

#22 6 years ago

While I agree there are a bunch of folks out there that prey on "Noob" collectors, which costs everyone in the long run; with inflated prices, BS "Professionally Shopped" 100% working, "RARE" machines. For the most part I think that the proof is in the pudding, as they say... A newer Stern HUO with 100 plays, OK, I'll buy that, IF the machine bears that out. A NIB HUO MM with 100 plays? Can I see the bridge you are trying to sell me too? Will you take a cashiers check?
    As a community I think we all should trust our BS detectors, not that will stop the practice of over stating the awesomeness of whatever HUO low count machine is being hawked; nor will it protect the "Noobs" from being fleeced from time to time, but if the thousands of us Collectors, Players, Fans do what we can to inform, educate, and correct any new-comer this BS MIGHt come to an end.
    IMHO, but I could be wrong....

#23 6 years ago

PS:
    The NIB HUO MM is a true story, my business partner and friend bought his MM NIB in 98, but there are a TON more than 100 plays on it. I have personally put 50 games on it myself!

#24 6 years ago

In three weeks me and two buddies put 1,600 games on a BSD that was my friends first purchase . . . three weeks . . . 1,600 games. A couple fun all nighters on that sucker.

That said, I had my FGY for close around three and half years and only put 1,800 games on it . . . I would have thought it would have had more games than that over that span.

#25 6 years ago

All "unfired" guns are test or proof fired at the factory.
    All new pins had balls rolling on them.

The condition is the only thing that matters.
    (Flashing the code / new ROM wipes out played games)

#26 6 years ago

My pins have a good life. I really don't play them much, but I enjoy fixing them and dialing them in. Much more than playing, I'd say.

I'm darn certain, I haven't played any of them more than 100 times. This even includes my favorites. These aren't NIB machines, mind you. However, it does show that not all of us are compelled to hammer 10,000 games in.

#27 6 years ago

lots of bs always added to help sell a game.... case in point....

Metallica Le, Master of Puppets #81, 2013 Stern: 8700.00
    The #81/500 on this game is significant because metallica formed in 1981 when james hetfield responded to an advertisement that drummer lars ulrich had posted in a local newspaper. Game is nib. I have excellent references. Can ship, but prefer local purchase.
    Jim, Phone: 630-373-4875
    Batavia, Illinois
    Posted: 30 June 2013

who fucking cares about its number 81. people add to much bullshit about pins to try to sell them faster for more money. condition is king, regardless of what kind of detailed info people put in their ads. huo, rare, restored (when its just cleaned and rerubbered) etc, if it smells like bs its bs

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from skristof:

Under 100 games may be a bit low, but games in the 200 - 300 play range are fairly common. There are a few situations where this will happen.

1. Only pinball machine in a large house owned by a wealthy owner. They have an infinity pool (with water slide and waterfall), a pool table, a 92" big screen with theater seating and all the major console video games attached, a foosball table, etc. Kids got bored of the pin after a few plays and went and rode their dirt bikes instead. House is so big it's easy to overlook.

2. Also in a wealthy home, but with a dozen or more other games. Never became anyone's favorite, so it never got many plays.

3. Belongs to a pinhead with a few games who doesn't play nearly enough.

With Stern's, it often fairly easy to tell. If the game has the original (old) software that the game shipped with, the audits are likely correct. I got two of my games this way. As always, condition is king. But it's even nicer if the old software and audits match the condition.

Generally speaking, folks in the hobby are pretty truthful. You will get a some who will try to take advantage, but they're pretty easy to spot. If they tell you 100 plays and the shooter lane says 5000+, tell them you have to think about it and never deal with them again. More games will come along.

#29 6 years ago

Used to think it was bullshit and mainly it is. But there always is this if you have a large collection and dont have pin tournaments all the time at your house or parties its quite possible to have games that get played 20 times a month if that. I think my LOTR was played less then a 100 times in six months.

If you have 2 games, then hell no if you have 6 games or more and have a life, you know girlfriend, kids long hours at a job have other hobbies then hell yet its possible. My poor TSPP got played 50 times at most in six months. One of the main reason I have been trying to scale down my collection cannot play them enough to warrant a 5000.00 paperweight.

So as much as I used to think this was true I found out personally it is more then possible and more like probably if your dealing with a collector with way too many pins.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

its like having a big dick but never using it. crazy, aint it.

#31 6 years ago

MB has less than 30 plays since full restore by Keller. XM has less than 50 total since new. AC/DC ... well, that one got played more

#32 6 years ago

I love when I see somebody has a pin 20 years old and says HUO for the last 5 years. That means it only got beaten up for 15 years. They are only trying to get yours eyes to focus on the term HUO.

#33 6 years ago

image.jpg

#34 6 years ago

Quoted from ebjimmyg:

who fucking cares about its number 81.

I am with you 100%. But at the same time why do people pay more for the #1. Because they have more money to piss away. It is not a good practice but it makes them feel better because they think they have something better. #1 #500 who cares

#35 6 years ago

My TF LE was routed for a month when I got it - 60 plays total in a month. I think I put more games than that during the first hour I had it.

#36 6 years ago

I think it would be smarter to buy a pin with a few thousand plays on it then one with under a 100.
    atleast the kinks and problems should be worked out by then.

Just my 2 cents

#37 6 years ago

The funny thing is if I buy a used machine I want it updated , dialed in and modded out. Usually a played game well taken care and done up is worth more to me.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Only thing that matters to me in terms of buying is the condition of the pin. I could care less about all the acronyms/words used to describe it.

Agree 100% so long as the seller isn't trying to insist on NIB pricing because it barely been driven off the lot. For older pins this line is analogous to - these things go for $2k more on the internet/ebay. I don't fault someone for trying either line - what becomes a pain is when a seller won't move past it once BS is called.

#39 6 years ago

If you can't believe low play, you probably never believe 20 year old games NIB either (but it happens). heck just the other day I saw some dealership that had old chevys from 30-40 years ago with 2 miles on the odometer:
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3fb_1372252216

Audits don't lie.. unless of course..

Whatever audits we put on, we'll take off
    Yea, how?
    We'll play pinball backwards
    Ha! no!

ferrari.jpg

#40 6 years ago

It's quite possible. My BBB has under 300 plays on it and it's HOU for 6 years. I play it and enjoy it but it's not the only game I own.

www.HabosArcade.com

Mike

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from ebjimmyg:

lots of bs always added to help sell a game.... case in point....
    Metallica Le, Master of Puppets #81, 2013 Stern: 8700.00
    The #81/500 on this game is significant because metallica formed in 1981 when james hetfield responded to an advertisement that drummer lars ulrich had posted in a local newspaper. Game is nib. I have excellent references. Can ship, but prefer local purchase.
    Jim, Phone: 630-373-4875
    Batavia, Illinois
    Posted: 30 June 2013
    who fucking cares about its number 81. people add to much bullshit about pins to try to sell them faster for more money. condition is king, regardless of what kind of detailed info people put in their ads. huo, rare, restored (when its just cleaned and rerubbered) etc, if it smells like bs its bs

COMPLETELY Agree. I really wanted an AC/DC LE but #55 was gone already (That's the year Angus Young was born) so I didn't get one>>>>

#42 6 years ago

I have viewed quite a few "HUO" games and 8 outta 10 were fugazi's. Some were in quite nice shape and some were quite banged up. I look at it kinda like dealing with a used car salesman. Most will tell you anything to make a sale.
    On the other hand, my friend has a WCS that his dad bought NIB. That game has like 10K+ games on and has been moved around quite a bit. Looks like a routed game but isn't.
    I don't think there is an answer for this one.

#43 6 years ago

my mate bought a T3 2 months ago nib, yes hard to believe until It arrived, some guy bought it new and left it in storage while renovating and never used it in the end.......that's an extreme case but it does happen! but in the end it don't matter with 0 plays or 1000, it's all about the condition and sometimes you get lucky!

#44 6 years ago

people like this remind me of hoarders.......

#45 6 years ago

Lol at this thread.
    There are many cases where it is possible and does happen.
    There are also a lot of dishonest people out there.
    Buyer beware.

#46 6 years ago

How can a game made more than 6 years ago be HUO for 6 years? Bogus. Pet peeve of mine, it seems like people are just making this stuff up as they go along now.

Quoted from hAbO:

It's quite possible. My BBB has under 300 plays on it and it's HOU for 6 years.

#47 6 years ago

Three things matter when buying a pin.
    Condition , Condition , Condition

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

How can a game made more than 6 years ago be HUO for 6 years? Bogus. Pet peeve of mine, it seems like people are just making this stuff up as they go along now.

Because it was still in the box before that?

Makes sense to me

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

My CFBL and TOM were both bought NIB by me. My TOM is just about perfect and my CFBL is super nice. But CFBL got the heck played out of it and still does. So there you go. So HUO, NIB does not mean perfect shape or anything else. Its all comes down to What condition is it in and who cares if its a HUO or NIB.

#50 6 years ago

Totally agree with Bojo. I intend to play my games more than I do but then life kicks in. Between work, family and other house chores, I never have the time to play as much as I want. My NIB BSM-312 plays. NIB LOTR-400 plays, etc. etc. I know Bojo and trust his numbers. There are lots of reasons why plays can be low. Open your mind!!!-Joe

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 75.00
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 52.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    £ 80.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 24.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside