You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TOTAN SS pst (resized).jpg
3zs8q5 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
20190324_101551 (resized).jpg
There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

WCS never gets the respect it deserves.

WCS is a great game. It’s better than poops other games, the theme just sucks.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

the theme just sucks

Europe would like a word with you.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Europe would like a word with you.

Well, you want to know how many fucks I give about Europe?

#54 3 years ago

Pinball is 30% setup. Use old school rubber, make the slings ultra sensitive, and Jack up the back as high as you can, and this pin sings. Also, use the hardest settings in the game.

The design is so clever and fun. Code has a few areas that should have been updated, but with the game set up tough, you don't notice that much. I rarely beat the Genie on mine, rarely see extra balls, and often get sucked in to going for dangerous lamp spins. That said, you can skillfully shoot the lamp; it's not all luck. Game gets better and better the longer I've owned it.

Plus the wife and all newbs love the thing.

It's earned this one.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

WCS never gets the respect it deserves.

That's cause its Soccer.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

That's cause its Soccer.

That's football

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:That's football

Either way I would rather watch water boil then sit through a Soccer game.

#58 3 years ago

I’ll go Jpop top 3 as
1. CV
2. TOTAN
3. TOM

Sure TOTAN is shallow, but it’s still fun to play, beautiful to look at, great music, and good to flip.

#59 3 years ago

Here is a pic of my daughter playing a beautiful TOTAN at TPF 2019:

20190324_101551 (resized).jpg20190324_101551 (resized).jpg
#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

That's football

No, football is big burly men playing with a oblong ball wearing pads and beating the shit out of each other. Its kind of like rugby. Soccer is what you are talking about and it is just skinny guys kicking a ball back and forth crying if someone else touches him.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

No, football is big burly men playing with a oblong ball wearing pads and beating the shit out of each other. Its kind of like rugby. Soccer is what you are talking about and it is just skinny guys kicking a ball back and forth crying if someone else touches him.

Oh man! I can’t believe you just compared American Football to Rugby. I am sure someone from overseas will chime in about that.

As far as soccer goes, I wish the US would put together a decent men’s team. It’s embarrassing that our men’s team cannot compete with other teams from around the world.

Now back to pinball after this commercial break!

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Oh man! I can’t believe you just compared American Football to Rugby.

I did say kind of.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Origin:

I might be the only one, but I really do hate this game.

Such a very informative post. Do you know half the rules at least? There are many games in the top 10 I did not like for several years just simply because I only recently started learning the rules because those titles are not on every street corner.

#64 3 years ago

The rules for what, WCS? I have played it a lot and I like the game. I like it more than the other shallow JPoop games. I just don't care for the theme. I don't care for sports related themes at all. I would take a WCS however because I like it that much. There are no parts available for it though.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

The rules for what, WCS? I have played it a lot and I like the game. I like it more than the other shallow JPoop games. I just don't care for the theme. I don't care for sports related themes at all. I would take a WCS however because I like it that much. There are no parts available for it though.

Sorry, I was referring to the OP.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Origin:

I found TOTAN at 16th place, but I never liked it. . . but I really do hate this game.

I don't hate it but it is not a deep game but most games from the 1990's are not. It is a pretty game, IMHO.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Pinball is 30% setup. Use old school rubber, make the slings ultra sensitive, and Jack up the back as high as you can, and this pin sings. Also, use the hardest settings in the game.
The design is so clever and fun. Code has a few areas that should have been updated, but with the game set up tough, you don't notice that much. I rarely beat the Genie on mine, rarely see extra balls, and often get sucked in to going for dangerous lamp spins. That said, you can skillfully shoot the lamp; it's not all luck. Game gets better and better the longer I've owned it.
Plus the wife and all newbs love the thing.
It's earned this one.

What he said^^^

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Your always so subtle ,that’s what I like about you?

#69 3 years ago

What is disappointing is that it is beautiful and it could be a great game. The game has good rules but the modes have absolutely nothing to do with anything and they are all the same. the game play other than the modes is good and there are some good shots. The skill shot, not so much.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I agree.. give me hockey any day.. basically soccer sped-up and condensed down to the good parts, with more entropy and entertainment.

#71 3 years ago

TOTAN blows.

It did when it was new, and it still does now.

Hard to believe this turd or the guy that designed it ever developed some kind of a fan club.

#72 3 years ago

Okay I'm gonna have to defend jpop a little, at least on this game: it was DESIGNED FOR BEGINNERS. The rules are purposefully shallow and easy. The game flyer points this out. He designed the game WMS was asking for and did a reasonably competent job at it. The game is boring for experienced players by design.

There's certainly enough on the playfield for someone to PROC a much better ruleset.

#73 3 years ago

I've never played it, so I can't comment. Yet, somehow I managed to comment in a thread about it anyway - go figure.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Okay I'm gonna have to defend jpop a little, at least on this game: it was DESIGNED FOR BEGINNERS. The rules are purposefully shallow and easy. The game flyer points this out. He designed the game WMS was asking for and did a reasonably competent job at it. The game is boring for experienced players by design.
There's certainly enough on the playfield for someone to PROC a much better ruleset.

Well not to change the subject but does scared stiff have the same excuse? Hit this 3 times hit that 3 times collect this 3 times rinse and repeat

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've never played it

Lucky! At least that you never wasted 50 cents on it.

Of all of J-Pop's games, the only one that ever made me want to spend more than that on was TOM, but even now after having owned one for a few months, I have no desire to play one again. It was very popular at several locations and seemed state of the art in 1995. Without being told who designed it at the time, TOTAN just seemed like a weak follow up, and the desire was never there to drop any more coins into it like I had TOM.

To be fair, apparently some of his games brought new blood with a flair for something different into the hobby.

#76 3 years ago

WCS is actually kinda fun for awhile and almost has more substance than style (just the reverse of his other games). I don't know how J-pop did it--musta had a lot of help on that one.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not a fan. Always seems like a bit of a luck box to me, it has really stupid rules, and lots of places for balls to get stuck, a dumb repetitive skill shot, recycled 70s EM features that don't really belong on a 90s game, etc
Basically it's your prototypical Jpop game.
Why are people clamoring for this guy to start producing shitty, flashy, half-baked games again? I seriously don't get it. RAZA looks truly awful, so I guess everybody will get what they want.

And everybody can chose what they want. Seems like totan is quiet popular and great artworks, the ball stuck? Where? Never happen once to me. Raza was a prototype and every feature was at a time new so not sure why this comment is relevant. Why it is more a prototypal than other games like CC or SS with even shorter rules. But. Hey, We show ourself smart bashing Jpop, it deserves fire and make you popular. Box of luck with pinball, it’s funny. I m pretty sure you score the same each game. This thread is for you my friend...

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from Warzard:

And everybody can chose what they want. Seems like totan is quiet popular and great artworks, the ball stuck? Where? Never happen once to me. Raza was a prototype and every feature was at a time new so not sure why this comment is relevant. Why it is more a prototypal than other games like CC or SS with even shorter rules. But. Hey, We show ourself smart bashing Jpop, it deserves fire and make you popular. Box of luck with pinball, it’s funny. I m pretty sure you score the same each game. This thread is for you my friend...

There is a little more to CC than hit each thing a couple times. But without CCC it is pretty short. The western theme though is something I couldn't resist.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Warzard:

Seems like totan is quiet popular

It is even more popular when quiet. lol.

A little over 3000 units made says it was not very popular on location or when it came out. Of course, no game from 1996 was really knocking them dead in sales or at the arcades.

I could feel the end coming when I first dropped coins in TOTAN. Was really hoping the next titles would be better, but besides MM, it really was signaling the pinball boom and greatness from the earlier part of the decade was over. CV with it's lackluster sales, blowout prices, and unfinished code like CC pretty much sealed the deal.

#80 3 years ago

Pinball 2000 sealed the deal...

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

Pinball 2000 sealed the deal...

Almost forgot about that one. lol.

Yes, like with TOTAN, we were patiently waiting for Williams to get their shit back together and release something a true pinball player wanted to play, with some of the excitement and action their prior games had.

My exact words at the time "nice, but when can we expect to see another "real" pinball machine".

Apparently they sold a bunch of those though.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The only game actually worth of hate is Judge Dredd.

haha i just traded in my JD for a TOTAN. upgrade for sure

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Okay I'm gonna have to defend jpop a little, at least on this game: it was DESIGNED FOR BEGINNERS.

So was Munsters and that doesn't get a break around here either

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from Origin:

Hello all!
So I noticed something weird earlier while I was looking at the Top 100. I found TOTAN at 16th place, but I never liked it. I might be the only one, but I really do hate this game. I don’t want to feel obstinate so I invited you to please not make me so much of an opinion magnet.
Thank you.

I did Own one. It lasted about 6 months. It's a good game. And looks beautiful. But so many better games at much less $ than aTotan is going for.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from Initiative:

haha i just traded in my JD for a TOTAN. upgrade for sure

Sorry for your loss.

Perhaps you could post about it in or start a Judge Dredd hate thread and go in there and rave about TOTAN.

Meanwhile, I'll try to think of a game I'd rather play less or look at than this turd.
CV is almost a push in that department. If I had one of those in my living room, either it or I would have to go.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So was Munsters and that doesn't get a break around here either

But, but, but... STERN! Gary kicked my dog. I swears it!

#87 3 years ago

Funny. OP is only one month old here on Pinside and almost all his posts are about how he hates totan ...and attached to design with a new threat. Are you claiming bad and hope it will decrease the price? What’s your point? Is all your pinball interest is about how you hate Totan?

Don’t play it. It doesn’t deserve your high maintenance.

Maybe start a new threat starting: «am I the only one who like... » you might enjoy your hobby better ...

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from Warzard:

OP is only one month old here on Pinside and almost all his posts are about how he hates totan ...and attached to design with a new threat.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#89 3 years ago

For those who think it’s a bit too easy and the software might need improvements, me included, there is this TOTAN 2.0 project there:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/totan-software-rewrite-on-p-roc-twilight-melody

#90 3 years ago

I don’t like any of poppashit’s games. They are a bore. Something about them. But that’s just me and some others.

#91 3 years ago

Pretty fucking ugly too. And that continues with what I've seen of his latest. I don't ride a girl's bicycle and certainly don't want a game that looks like one.

But it was TOM's music that really started to grate on me after a while

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Pretty fucking ugly too. And that continues with what I've seen of his latest. I don't ride a girl's bicycle and certainly don't want a game that looks like one.
But it was TOM's music that really started to grate on me after a while

One thing I'm sure even most of the haters will agree, is that Jpop's games are far from ugly. TOTAN's art package is wonderful. My wife still marvels at all the plastics and lighting.

#93 3 years ago

I suppose if I was a woman or *** I might like the look of it. Then I could put a CV right next it.

*Edited because I guess I broke some rule*

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I can lend you a pan

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Its a second account for him..

Agreed.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

The rules for what, WCS?

I thought you were talking about American Football, or Rugby, or Proper Football - much more interesting debate than feeding the troll who hates Totan.

#97 3 years ago

Beautiful game, but that is it. Same with ToM. I'm just not a Jpop fan. WCS is his best work and he didn't even finish it.

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Beautiful game, but that is it. Same with ToM. I'm just not a Jpop fan.

ToM i could live without, but it's my wife's favorite game. I was lucky enough to find a very nice one - the guy actually put on a pair of cotton gloves before he even slid the glass off. It's one of the few times I didn't even try to negotiate a better price, it was worth every bit of the outrageous $3k he was asking (remember those days?)

ToTAN haters, sorry, you're wrong. The artwork, theme and sound package are integrated to near perfection. The spinning lamp, the coffin-nail ball savers, the ramps, 3 magnets, the disappearing ball, the slashing sword sound of the slingshots, the colors and light show, the dots, the princesse's voice - c'mon. So the rule sheet isn't 3 pages long, big deal. Now that I think about it, most of the time when I play, I'm rarely trying to beat a high score, I'm just experiencing the game itself. And ToTAN, to me, is just fantastically immersive. All the pieces fit.

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

The artwork, theme and sound package are integrated to near perfection. The spinning lamp, the coffin-nail ball savers, the ramps, 3 magnets, the disappearing ball, the slashing sword sound of the slingshots, the colors and light show, the dots, the princesse's voice - c'mon.

3zs8q5 (resized).jpg3zs8q5 (resized).jpg
#100 3 years ago

I like it, but I agree with some of the complaints about the rules. The main jewel modes are the most uninteresting part of the game. They suffer from the same problems that TOM's illusions do, just too simple and based mostly around repeating shots with little strategy or variety. Was Jpop in charge of rules on his games? TOM's programmer was Jeff Johnson, and the games he did with Trudeau have similarly too-simple rules.

The rest of TOTAN, I like a lot. The other scoring features like Fireball and Lightning Lamp are fun (I enjoy the lamp as a toy overall), the twin captive balls to build bonus x are satisfying shots, and the bonus countdown is just damn cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 84.99
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-the-only-one-who-hates-totan/page/2?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.