(Topic ID: 261309)

Am I the only one who finds the new JP code flawed?

By snowy_owl

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mikeflan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is the shortcut to the wizard mode stupid?”

• Yes, get rid of it. 14 votes
    23%
  • No, I think it's awesome. 48 votes
    77%

(62 votes)

#1 4 years ago

First of all, let me say that JP is one of my favorite games. I am not trying to trash stern, but there's a part of the code that annoys me. With the new software, stern gives you the option to go straight to the main wizard mode (escape nublar). While that is cool, to me it defeats the point of that even being called a wizard mode anymore, since one can get to it with no work. Most people seem to like this feature, but is there anyone out there who finds this stupid?

#2 4 years ago

Pretty sure they did the same with Ghostbusters with the last code update.

I’ll play that mode very rarely, but it’s nice to have the option. It wasn’t a spoiler type thing for me.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from blimpey:

Pretty sure they did the same with Ghostbusters with the last code update.
I’ll play that mode very rarely, but it’s nice to have the option. It wasn’t a spoiler type thing for me.

I think it's great that we now have the option. Keep in mind, you can choose not to play it and you can also turn this off in the menus. Ultimately, it will add variety to an already awesome game and will provide players the opportunity to play this mode when perhaps they otherwise would have never seen it. I'm a pretty solid player and this game is challenging...who knows how many times I will ever naturally get to this mode. Personally, I think it's a great idea!

#4 4 years ago

Why not? The JP threads have plenty of discussion about this but I do not see the problem. Heck, the coders will probably be thrilled that more people will be able to enjoy their hard work and keeping the scores separate and having the option to disable the feature makes it a no-brainer. The more options and choices the better.

#5 4 years ago

I would say one of my favorite things about Twilight Zone is that you could “cheat” into LITZ with the newest code. I personally think it’s a great option to have. I wouldn’t be able to get there any other way

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

First of all, let me say that JP is one of my favorite games. I am not trying to trash stern, but there's a part of the code that annoys me. With the new software, stern gives you the option to go straight to the main wizard mode (escape nublar). While that is cool, to me it defeats the point of that even being called a wizard mode anymore, since one can get to it with no work. Most people seem to like this feature, but is there anyone out there who finds this stupid?

More options is not a flaw. Some people are not experienced enough of a player yet to even sniff the wizard mode so having that option is nice. I would never use the code but having the option doesn't take anything away from the game.

#7 4 years ago

I was going to bring up the TZ LITZ mode start option as well. I never use the option personally, but I have let a couple of visitors to my game room play LITZ with the option and they had fun. As long as you can turn off the option to shortcut to a wizard mode in the menu, or just ignore it (if you choose), I think it's a cool option to have.

#8 4 years ago

Just forget the option is there and progress to it as you would have normally. I don't see the issue. I think all games should have an option like this.

#9 4 years ago

Yep you should be able to send in and get a medal for everyone too!

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I was going to bring up the TZ LITZ mode start option as well. I never use the option personally, but I have let a couple of visitors to my game room play LITZ with the option and they had fun. As long as you can turn off the option to shortcut to a wizard mode in the menu, or just ignore it (if you choose), I think it's a cool option to have.

I think it's great. It's like a little mini game. When I showed my boys how to do the litz option they got interested and had fun with it. Love to see more options like that.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

I doubt we'd see the attention to detail for this mode if there wasn't an option to go straight to the wizard mode. Why spend the coding resources for a mode that 99% of the players are never going to see. You don't have to play it, so it really is a win/win in this situation. I'm glad it's in there. There have been so many times that I've finally made it to a Wizard mode but than had no idea of what I was supposed to do (along with the excitement of getting there) that I usually lose the ball quickly and have to start over. At least now we can practice which should help calm the nerves.

#12 4 years ago

Wait, is this in .97? Is it like GB where it’s an option in the settings menu? I didn’t even know!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I doubt we'd see the attention to detail for this mode if there wasn't an option to go straight to the wizard mode. Why spend the coding resources for a mode that 99% of the players are never going to see. You don't have to play it, so it really is a win/win in this situation.

This man gets it! Plus if you beat all the mini wizard modes and Escape Nublar you get the actual wizard mode WDRTE

#14 4 years ago

I love it. It takes nothing away from the accomplishment of getting there "for real". Think of it as a mini-game option, or just forget it exists all together if you do not like it. Also keep in mind it will play and score very differently if you earn your way there vs playing it separately. Earning your way there will take into account the path you took to get there, amount of dinosaurs captured, workers rescued, etc in what you need to do. That will be randomized in the mini-game. (If I understood the description correctly that is...)

The leaderboards will be completely separate too, so no worries about "diluting" the accomplishment. Not to mention, this is one of those wizard modes that will be seen very rarely, if ever, by the vast majority of players. It will be awesome for my daughter and wife (and heck, me) to be able to experience it for a change of pace whenever we want to.

And the fact you can play it either for score or speed runs is genius. This will definitely end up being a super popular side-tournament / dollar game mode.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

This man gets it! Plus if you beat all the mini wizard modes and Escape Nublar you get the actual wizard mode WDRTE

Play or beat? I’ve managed to play escape control room and visitor centre in one game before so if it’s play then I stand a chance... if it’s beat no way!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

I have a Ghostbusters LE. The other night my wife had a party with the employees from her work. Non of them are "pinball" people. Most liked the games but just batted the ball around. Once I put GB on God Mode, everyone playing was super excited. I think mostly because it is a simple quick game that non-pinball people can understand and have some quick competition. Like MikeS says, you dont have to have it on all the time. Myself, I enjoy trying to reach the God Mode in the normal game play and only turn on God Mode for Newbies that want to play.

#17 4 years ago

When it comes to pinball super wizard modes I think unlocking it after possibly months if not years of play is part of the draw of coming back. Having a menu shortcut option takes away from the rarity of reaching a super wizard mode. There's something cool about so few people reaching and talking about unlocking Valnor in LOTR or Somewhere Over the Rainbow in WOZ. Having a way to acess those modes from game start would take away from the difficultly of reaching those modes.

Personally I'll never enable this setting on a game. As Keith Johnson said a super wizard mode is designed for a game of a lifetime.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

final wizard mode

Except that Keith has already stated Escape Nublar isn't the final wizard mode

I think people are just bitching to bitch at this point. Surprise surprise.

Just don't play it if you don't want to.

And how many of the people here crying about being able to play Escape are the same people that will watch videos of the mode before getting there.

JFC

KME, JP3 is amazing. Keep up the awesome work.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm not in support of allowing players to basically cheat the game and allow a final wizard mode to be played. Do video games allow a final boss fight or mission to be played from the main menu? No.
When it comes to pinball super wizard modes I think unlocking it after possibly months if not years of play is part of the draw of coming back. Having a menu shortcut option takes away from the rarity of reaching a super wizard mode. Personally I would never enable the setting.

Many video games have codes that allow you to start at bosses, get instant lives, start fully powered up, etc. Been happening since the early '80s. It takes nothing away from accomplishing it traditionally.

#20 4 years ago

Im just happy that it has a code, unlike some other new titles

#21 4 years ago

I don't really care either way, but I could see it being "an issue" for tournament play.

If I were really good (which I'm not) and practiced wizard mode because I could reach it, I might be pissed if other people had that opportunity even though the first time they've reached it was during contest, and now they can score better in this mode.

Like I said, won't effect me in any way.

#22 4 years ago

If this is the start of a movement where a machine has more than one game to play, I'm all for it. TBH, there are a ton of games that would be better with new rules/modes, etc.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

If this is the start of a movement where a machine has more than one game to play, I'm all for it. TBH, there are a ton of games that would be better with new rules/modes, etc.

Exactly this! I think it's a really fun idea, and I'd love to see companies be more creative with new game modes. Pinball FX3 has some challenge modes (highest score in 5 minutes with unlimited ball saves, increasing score goals to keep your game alive, etc) that could definitely exist in real life.

#24 4 years ago

Im sorry, but youre wrong.

Being able to play 2 games in 1 is a huge benefit. Very cool, please dont discourage this.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I might be pissed if other people had that opportunity even though the first time they've reached it was during contest, and now they can score better in this mode.

But what's stopping owners reach the wizard mode with the glass off to practice playing the wizard mode, or just experiment with different strategies to optimise their scores?

There really is no downside to having the OPTION to jump straight to a wizard mode in any game.

I also really like the new options of setting max no. of players per game, and being able to send the game straight to attract mode mid-game (hold left flipper and start buttons). No more having to plunge 12 balls at a show when some numpty has pressed start 4 times and walked off.

Long may it continue.

I just hope that the other games, not only those from @sk8ball, start adding these kind of options and additional detail.

#26 4 years ago

I find it great. KME and the rest at Stern spent a lot of time and effort programming the wizard mode. I'm a good player, better than a huge chunk of the world out there, and unless stars align I'll likely never get to the wizard mode. Hell, I've had Lord of the Rings and Simpson for over 10 years and I've never gotten CLOSE to the wizard modes.

If you don't like it, don't play it.

Quoted from snowy_owl:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-the-only-one-who-finds-the-new-jp-code-flawed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.