(Topic ID: 247363)

am I the only one that buys NIB and does not add/change anything?

By JohnnyPinball007

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by fattdirk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“am I the only one that buys NIB and does not add/change anything?”

• I want the machine the way it came out of the box 36 votes
      44%
    • No way I will even play it without Cliffys 18 votes
      22%
    • I need to shop for mods asap 27 votes
      33%

(81 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMAG1342 (resized).jpg
    AF1D8D0D-CA59-498F-BFB5-0AB7BCACC418 (resized).jpeg

#1 7 months ago

First of all, while looking for a category to post this, other categories looked more appropriate, but then I see The Lounge, yes, that is what fits my laid back mood. I have not made many posts to Pinside and when I do mostly I try to be entertaining and funny, and sometimes I am asking a question about a game I am looking at buying to get advice about what I need to watch for.

But, I do read Pinside all the time in my spare time, and I enjoy every minute.

Also, I am sorry if this topic has already been here or still is, I have not seen it.

I hope no arguments or anything breaks out here, lets stay laid back in the lounge.

So, so far I have purchased 7 NIB games total. I have never purchased the first Cliffy, flipper topper or anything else. My thinking is the game costs enough anyway, and if I sell it later maybe it being just the same way it came out of the box may make it more desirable in case someone wants to make the game the way they want to later.

Just for knowledge I look at what pinball machines have sold for on eBay recently, and so funny I see maybe 5 games in one day, and 50 ads for mods or Stern banners or whatever else that was not a pinball machine that sold in a day. I get all that now, banners and stuff needed for decorating the man cave, and mods are wanted for whatever reason. On eBay I have seen more mods sold for TWD, than any other game.

I recently sold a GB pro here, the buyer was awesome, and first thing he said was he was going to add about 500.00 in mods. I totally respect all of that, I just do not get it. The main reason I sold the machine was because it brought some grief with all the "ok, who brought the dog" We used to have a dog that would always come around at the same time the machine said that. Coyotes got the dog and it was tragic and sorry to bring that up. Anyway, with GB there is a tread here about code, I never noticed. Code was fine for my skill level.

As for me, I am not that great of a player. I enjoy pinball as much as any of you does, and once in a blue moon I can actually hit everything I am aiming for, and have one game that is a top 30 on scores you guys post. Most of the time I suck, and yeah, I shake the machine and do all I can. BUT, also, while I have never added anything to a game except for a code update maybe 1 time on 2 different pins, I have never touched the factory settings for out lane posts, etc. I see those, and I see the holes where I can adjust, but I choose to leave it the same way it came out of the box.

I have made minor repairs to my machines as needed, and once had to hire a expert to change a broken rubber in a bad place that looked like it involved taking way too much apart than I was comfortable with.

No game rooms in my area, the closest is 45 minutes away with traffic around here. I have actually drove to other states to try a game I was interested in at a game room.

It is just nice to have a game I like here, have a beer, not pay 3.00 for the beer or whatever, and I do not drink and drive anyway.

And I just want to play the game and enjoy it. Unless there is a problem I need to fix, I do not want to work on it.

I see very amazing people here, that constantly post pics about what they just worked on or what mod they just created. I can not do that.

From time to time I just want to sell a NIB pin first owner that is 100% the way it came out of the box to get another machine I want at the time.

Unless it is broke, I am not doing any work on it, I just want to enjoy it.

My guess is I am at the bottom 25% with what I like. I will try to start a poll because I am curious.

#2 7 months ago

I keep it original.

#3 7 months ago

I agree with you, I think mods are a waste but to each their own. I think manufacturers may skimp a little because of the modding community, no need to put a toy in it if folks are willing to mod it anyway.

#4 7 months ago

Thank You! I no longer feel alone on Pinside now.

#5 7 months ago

I have never bought a NIB (yet), because I filled my game room up with older pins on my must have list. However, many of them have mods that I consider to be tastefully done, such as Swinks snack bar on CFTBL. Many do not, and it depends on both the pin and the mod. My older EMs for instance have none except some warm white LEDs in the backglasses to reduce the heat on the glass - a practical mod not needed on a modern pin. My main point is my preference dictates, and it sounds like yours does too, which is great. Keep doing what works for you. I would recommend basic maintenance though if you are not doing it including wax, swapping out pinballs, new rubbers, etc. - just like the manufacturing recommends.

#6 7 months ago

Cliffy and sometimes ColorDMD on my NIB.

I’ve purchased HUO machines with various modifications. The only alterations that annoy me are the dolls and the blindingly bright light kits that illuminate the playfield just above the flippers and adjacent to the slings.

#7 7 months ago

I don't get any extra pleasure from keeping the game the same way it came out of the box, so primarily I just want it to play well. (And I'm cheap, so I don't spend money on stuff that doesn't impact gameplay. The Tron ramp lights are probably the only exception. External subwoofer is the other).

For most games, that means doing nothing. But for others, I'm looking at you GB, there might be a few changes that help the game play better.

#8 7 months ago

everybody is different when it comes to the Enjoyment part. I prob do more working on games than I do playing them. I enjoy the refurbishing part of it as much or more than playing them. Pretty satisfying taking a old broken down hunk of neglected junk and turning it into a nice bright and "like new" playable game that someone will be able to enjoy for years. The mod thing is kinda popular with the guys just getting into the hobby usually.

#9 7 months ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

The mod thing is kinda popular with the guys just getting into the hobby usually.

Maybe that is one reason I am like I am. I bought my first NIB back in 1986 (Special Force), and I had never even heard of mods at that time.

#10 7 months ago

Yeah I wonder in it really first started... Early to mid 2000s? When I got my TZ in 2007
    I think, leds were kind of new I think.. And there were already some mods out for that game. Hmm.... Or Cliffys?

#11 7 months ago

Apparently, a lot of pinheads are boring when it comes to the look of their games. And/or really cheap.

#12 7 months ago

I don't go crazy with mods I might buy a cliffy if it's available but that's pretty much it.

#13 7 months ago

I have learn if it’s not a keeper don’t mod it out. But some of you own a tron how don’t you have a few mods on there?

AF1D8D0D-CA59-498F-BFB5-0AB7BCACC418 (resized).jpeg
    #14 7 months ago

I'll let you know after the day comes that I can afford a NIB pin.

#15 7 months ago
    Quoted from Malenko:

I'll let you know after the day comes that I can afford a NIB pin.

I was in the same boat for years! Then I stopped spending all my monies and mods and next thing you knew they were dropping them off at my door

#16 7 months ago

depends on the game
    my Batman TDK, is stock (except for a cliffy protector)
    but my Spiderman has many mods added

#17 7 months ago

If it's a LE....I leave it alone. Yes, It may not add any value leaving it that way, I just don't see the point of LE unless the "mfg" makes a accessory for it..like a topper, ect specifically for that game.

#18 7 months ago

No more seizure lights, please.

#19 7 months ago

If a game came with a topper I would have to take it off, or not install it to begin with. I cover all my games with plastic when not being used, and a topper would tear the plastic. I do this not only for dust, but in case a water line were to bust. I also run a dehumidifier a lot also and keep a check on the %.

Anyway, I am glad I was able to include a poll, the info is interesting and so are the comments.

Has anyone else posted in the please delete thread? That is fun to add something stupid to every now and then.

#20 7 months ago

All mine are stock...even down to the incandescent lamps and plasma displays. My route games have LEDs but that's it.

#21 7 months ago

My preference is to protect the game as well as possible - Cliffy's, shooter lane protector, etc. but leave it mostly alone unless there's something blaringly mechanical that annoys me.

#22 7 months ago
    Quoted from Twilight1:

I have learned if it’s not a keeper then don’t mod it out.

This totally makes sense. It keeps your investment down and makes it easier to find a buyer when you go to sell.

But if it is a keeper, besides adding ColorDMD and LEDs, then certain game-specific mods can definitely add to the enjoyment factor, for instance:
    Bill Ung saucer mod for AFM
    MikeD mod for CFTBL
    Dancing Boogies for SS

#23 7 months ago

I got some of the high end playfield glass and put it on my games after I got my WOZ. So much better than stock playfield glass. The problem now is I need to do it to any game I add now NIB or used. Most times I put better flipper rubbers and better balls too.

#24 7 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I was in the same boat for years! Then I stopped spending all my monies and mods and next thing you knew they were dropping them off at my door

I tend to spend my money fixing up the broken cabs I can barely afford to buy

Prices keep going up too!

#25 7 months ago

I added Bicycle Girl light to my TWDLE. I added colorDMD to my ACDC. Usually I don't add mods. Waste of money IMO. To each their own. Games are expensive enough. Who needs to take another hit on mods????

#26 7 months ago

Like most newbs, I learned my mod lesson a few years ago on my first nib, Metallica prem.

I put a bunch of Met-specific mods on it- creeping death led rails/sideblade set, snake kit, Sparky EL wire, undercab led’s, backbox leds, speaker lights, plastic protectors, cliffys etc. etc. I basically ended up giving them away when I sold the machine. I probably could have tried to remove and sell them but oh well. Looking back I definitely see that it was overkill.

Lesson learned and now I only add some cliffys and things that I can transfer to other games (PDI glass, upgraded speakers, color dmd, etc.)

#27 7 months ago

I usually add modfather custom shooter and pin cup.

Games I plan on keeping I'll add more like my SMVE and IM. Exceptions for more things would be adding red smoke witch mod to WOZ and planning on adding the monkey.

#28 7 months ago

I add Cliffy’s and plastic protectors to my games.

Note, I get the protectors in clear to keep the original look.

I do change out to Titan rubbers, but I just use black.

Also superbands on the flippers...this I do in different colors, depending on the game.

#29 7 months ago

I have my games powder coated, plastic protectors , Titans , color dmd. I don't add any toy stuff. Take them to a show once a year and get lots of compliments

IMAG1342 (resized).jpg
    #30 7 months ago

Internet cheat sheet:

"Am I the only ..." - Always NO.
    "Does anyone else ... " - Always YES.

#32 7 months ago

I buy Cliffy protectors and plastic protectors at a minimum. I've broken plastics playing games in my game room and on location, and on the multiple instances I've bought a machine without plastic protectors already installed, there's been at least one broken/cracked plastic, so I'm down with a cheap and easily installed set of plastic protectors for insurance against plastic damage.

#33 7 months ago

After spending 5 figures I don’t see a problem with throwing some Cliffys on there, especially with the soft as butter playfields these days.

Also I put the TRON arcade mod on mine because that was really cool. That was it for mods though - I left all the GI incandescent.

Everything in moderation.

#34 7 months ago

I love working on the machines as much as playing them. A NIB will see dozens of hours of prep and mod work before I really start flipping, some machines have seen close to fifty. I enjoy these hours as much as figuring out the shots and rules later.

And it is the same as the NIB opening ceremony. Once I am done modding I want to mod the next one, just like after the NIB honeymoon week I am hungry for more

#35 7 months ago

Honestly, to each their own.... For me, with microcontrollers being so dirt-cheap these days, I like to experiment and design/build some original mods. My top-level goal with anything I put in the machine is that it look like it came from the factory that way (i.e. not an obvious mod). It's just a fun, creative outlet.

#36 7 months ago

Living in a tiny terrace house, I don't own any pinball machines so I build my own virtually, and I mod the hell out of everything. But I'm a code modder, I rewrite a game's entire code to my liking, and that's modding to the extreme.

#37 7 months ago

I feel that gluing trinkets and dolls to a game is so dumb as well as installing cliffy's on a home use pin. Total waste of time and money.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.50
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 29.95
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 169.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Special When Lit
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 75.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside