Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by 3rdaxis
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-10-14_10-41-50_90.jpg
    2012-10-14_10-34-32_186.jpg
    2012-10-14_09-23-25_680.jpg

#1 11 years ago

I recently added a "real" powered subwoofer to my Judge Dredd which was pretty much plug and play and it sounds awesome!! The Sub as a "high level" input so i simple ran a wire into the cabinet and plugged it into the spare tabs on the bass speaker. No brainer. Im not sure if anyone else as tried this but, wow, what a difference! The game as a great sound to begin with and now its just fantastic. I would highly recommend this mod for any newer machine with a modern sound.

2012-10-14_09-23-25_680.jpg2012-10-14_09-23-25_680.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Nope. People have been doing this for a while and it's pretty well documented. Most either do this or install a kit like PP or FF.

#3 11 years ago

Ok good then im not crazy Next come the satellite playfield speakers and stereo spacializer

#4 11 years ago

....yeah, a lot of us are doing this, But I think its awesome that you figured it out without anyone prompting you. Sweet! As a side note, you can plug another game into it on the other side of the inputs. Rock on!

#5 11 years ago

More people do it but most prefer a built-in solution like new speakers and amp in the cabinet so it stays in the pin when you sell it later.. Or when you have 10pins they all hsve upgraded sound and not just the one thats connected.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

More people do it but most prefer a built-in solution like new speakers and amp in the cabinet so it stays in the pin when you sell it later.. Or when you have 10pins they all hsve upgraded sound and not just the one thats connected.

I agree, my friend who has multiple pins has done this but its sooooo not the same. Plus as a result of the sub being located in the cabinet is resonates everything lol rendering the sub useless because all you hear is the machine vibrating lol. but still cool

#7 11 years ago

Dumb question, where did you connect the sub-woofer to in the backbox? Did you just run some wire from the speaker to the woofer?

#8 11 years ago

I ran it to the base speaker in the cabinet which seemed to be the easiest though i dont think it would matter because the sub has a built in crossover and its not pulling any power from the board since its just a signal input and not actually driving the sub itself.

2012-10-14_10-34-32_186.jpg2012-10-14_10-34-32_186.jpg

#9 11 years ago

Since all pins are mono or one channel i bridged the inputs on the sub to get the most out of the built in amp as well. Just take care to get the polarity correct

2012-10-14_10-41-50_90.jpg2012-10-14_10-41-50_90.jpg

#10 11 years ago

Thanks, I have a couple of subs just hanging out in the closet. I think Spiderman and STTNG will get this "upgrade" today.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from 3rdaxis:

aeneas said:

I agree, my friend who has multiple pins has done this but its sooooo not the same. Plus as a result of the sub being located in the cabinet is resonates everything lol rendering the sub useless because all you hear is the machine vibrating lol. but still cool

I don't know guys, I have a few pins with the built in and a lotr with the outside sub, and I prefer the outside sub. It's loader because it gets 100 watts, and I can keep it when I switch games, plus you rarely recoup the cost on add ons. I would put my sony sub up against the aftermarket pin subs any day.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

I don't know guys, I have a few pins with the built in and a lotr with the outside sub, and I prefer the outside sub. It's loader because it gets 100 watts, and I can keep it when I switch games, plus you rarely recoup the cost on add ons. I would put my sony sub up against the aftermarket pin subs any day.

True that, my Nova sub moves the funiture ain't no cabinet sub gona do that lol unless you give it a full enclosure and amp and that's just silly.

#13 11 years ago

The speaker upgrade vs a sub woofer does have a cost component to factor in though. A good sub will be will north of the $100 speaker cab upgrade for pins. Maybe I will just have to start watching criags for woofers? Might as well, I already watch craigs enough for pins.

#14 11 years ago

A room with 10 pins and 10 subs going at the same time? 1 sub, 1 mixer, 10 machines! You can take any RCA line and find the proper adapters for whatever line inputs call for. I.E. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/cables-snakes

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/line-mixers

#16 11 years ago

Hooked up my spiderman to my external woofer and love it. I have not played a pin with an upgraded internal woofer, so I am not sure how they compare to each other. Anyone think one is better than the other? I like the idea of being able to control the external woofer and set it how you want it (volume and frequency).

#17 11 years ago

When hooking up an external sub, is it a good idea to disconnect the cabinet speaker?

#18 11 years ago

I don't see how it could hurt leaving the cabinet speaker connected (the woofer has its own driver). When I was listening under the cab to adjust my woofer, there was quite a bit of sound still coming out of the cabinet speaker that was not low frequency. I think the mid range and higher frequencies that come out of the cab speaker help to balance out the overall sound. My two bits.

#19 11 years ago

I have tried it all.......pinball pro internal subs, and flipper fidelity internal subs. Both are nice, but the sound from the external sub is by far much better. Is it worth it as far as looks having a sub sit under the game?..........absolutely.

#20 11 years ago

I think it is pretty cool but I already think it gets too loud when I turn all the pins on now without subs.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

When hooking up an external sub, is it a good idea to disconnect the cabinet speaker?

No you can leave it plugged it. Good for filling in those "mid Base" frequencies. I have the sub crossed over at around 60hz and it sounds great.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-the-first-to-try-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.