Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

astroglide.jpg
153.JPG
pinball issues 009.JPG
pinball issues 010.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hey there, I just purchased a Judge Dredd Pinball from a company who sells used machines online. Their advertisement said that techs go through the machine and shop it before shipping.

When it arrived, the crane was broken and the pin holding the crane together was missing. In addition, some of the coil sleeves were so damaged/dirty the ball would not make it up some of the ramps. I also am noticing slight deformities in the flipper pistons. Also, some of the bushings seem to be bad. See video:

I really expected more from this company. I don't want to mention their name because I want to give them a chance to make it right.

My question is: Am I overreacting? I am currently asking them to send the necessary parts to fix it along with new bushings, sleeves, and flipper rebuild kits.

Do you think this is reasonable? Am I expecting too much?

pinball issues 010.JPGpinball issues 010.JPG pinball issues 009.JPGpinball issues 009.JPG 153.JPG153.JPG
#2 10 years ago

This is why you should always pick up pins in person. I've had one pin shipped from a pinsider and it was as described. A retailer should be held to a higher standard and if you paid full retail for what was supposed to be a fully shopped pin you have the right to be pissed but might not have the right to any compensation, not a lawer by the way. Let him make it right and if not throw him to the lions.

#3 10 years ago

When a machine is shipped, or moved, some crap just happens, like mayyyybe the crane pin...

But what you have there is a machine that wasn't fully 'shopped'. Not with sleeves that bad.

Shopping does not mean all the sleeves MUST be replaced, but it sure does mean that they should be fairly new and unbound. Those two coil pics show a machine that didn't even have them checked.

How is the rest of the machine?

#4 10 years ago

Their idea of shopping a pin is obviously different than yours. Unfortunately people throw this term around like it means something and they only replace a few rubbers. What the hell is this world coming to...

#5 10 years ago

first rule to pinball buying. Don't buy from the "refurbished used pinball places"

Don't buy something you can't play and try out in person. Many are scams and don't know the first thing about refurbishing or fixing anything. just container flippers that barely wipe down the center of a playfield. Your not over reacting cuz i'm sure you paid double of what you should have.

#6 10 years ago

Hell no! You are expecting what was advertised! A non-100% functioning game after a true "Shop" is BS. The crane and coils look pathetic. You are definately in the right to ask that these issues be rectified. I dont care what you spent on the game, if it was advertised to you as fully functional you are in no way out of line asking for these issues to be fixed.

Good luck!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

first rule to pinball buying. Don't buy from the "refurbished used pinball places"
Don't buy something you can't play and try out in person. Many are scams and don't know the first thing about refurbishing or fixing anything. just container flippers that barely wipe down the center of a playfield. Your not over reacting cuz i'm sure you paid double of what you should have.

I agree with you about container flippers but there are many " refurbished used pinball places" that do good quality work. Hell, 99% of the games available are used games. Its a shame that there are more than a few places that prey on first time buyers, but there are just as many or more retailers who do quality work.

#8 10 years ago

I kind of does matter what you paid, if you only paid $700, you can overlook a lot more than if you paid $2400 for a $1400 game.

And that is true, there are many out there that actually know how to restore and properly shop out a game. it's not all of them. Many we used to have years ago, got such a bad name, they operate under different names now. Just have to do your research on here and RGP, to find out if there is any bad press about them.

#9 10 years ago

yes, lesson learned and for those who asked, I did pay a bit more than I would have paid a private party. The rest of the machine is ok. A few minor gripes, but I can live with those. They have a brick and mortar store front and I have heard positive things about them from some folks so I felt OK, shelling out some dough, expecting that the extra cash I paid would save me hassle (again, lesson learned).

The flipper rebuild kits and other parts sound reasonable to ask for then?

Perhaps they will send me a t-shirt

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

When a machine is shipped, or moved, some crap just happens, like mayyyybe the crane pin...
But what you have there is a machine that wasn't fully 'shopped'. Not with sleeves that bad.
Shopping does not mean all the sleeves MUST be replaced, but it sure does mean that they should be fairly new and unbound. Those two coil pics show a machine that didn't even have them checked.
How is the rest of the machine?

I think you are under reacting if anything. As this quote mentions I think the crane... maybe shipping issue. Look around the bottom of the cabinet around the speaker especially maybe you can find the pin to make it right.

As for the rest yeah that is not anywhere close to shopped if everything is weak and dirty.
Had this happen before and only way to avoid it is in person deals only. Otherwise it is really hit or miss.

Hope you get all things resolved with just a little time and nothing out of pocket.

Sorry to hear about your bad dealings.

#11 10 years ago

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I paid $2500. I really wanted this title and I had difficulty finding it anywhere close. I really looked for a private seller but could not find one.

#12 10 years ago

maybe they should send you some of this too.

astroglide.jpgastroglide.jpg
#13 10 years ago
Quoted from smanderson:

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I paid $2500. I really wanted this title and I had difficulty finding it anywhere close. I really looked for a private seller but could not find one.

Dont be embarrased, a game is worth what your willing to pay. Ive "overpaid" for a few games according to alot of people on this site. But the reality is if you want a game to play and enjoy and not wait around and bargain hunt for a year, sometimes you have to pay for it. As long as you feel you are not overextended then price should match your level of enjoyment!

I hope you get these issues rectified soon. JD is a fun game!

#14 10 years ago

it was NOT as described/or advertised. you have every right for them to fix those things.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from smanderson:

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I paid $2500.

$2500 for a game like Dredd? Hell, I think it's a lot more fun than many machines that are twice their price. The truth is Judge Dredd is no longer a $1400 game unless Deadworld is dead. I have paid more than you did for one and less for another one. If you can get it up and running, you've got one great pinball machine for the price.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

$2500 for a game like Dredd? Hell, I think it's a lot more fun than many machines that are twice their price. The truth is Judge Dredd is no longer a $1400 game unless Deadworld is dead. I have paid more than you did for one and less for another one. If you can get it up and running, you've got one great pinball machine for the price.

Exactly, these issues are easily fixed. If these are the only issues with the game you paid a fair price. You still have the right to ask that these things are fixed regardless of what you paid if it was implied as fully functional.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Hell no! You are expecting what was advertised! A non-100% functioning game after a true "Shop" is BS. The crane and coils look pathetic. You are definately in the right to ask that these issues be rectified. I dont care what you spent on the game, if it was advertised to you as fully functional you are in no way out of line asking for these issues to be fixed.
Good luck!

totally agree.

#18 10 years ago

I would def contact them about this. They need to make this right or what everyone else says on here, release the name to the lions and let word of mouth make them suffer.

#19 10 years ago

yep, keep us inforrmed on their response.

#20 10 years ago

Shopped is a relative term. But if they said the flippers were rebuilt, and sleeves replaced, then that is what should have been done. I provide very specific details when I sell a game. If the ad just uses vague terms such as "shopped and working as it should," then beware.

#21 10 years ago

You should be able to fix those things pretty easy once you get in there. 2500 sounds high but it's not. This is market price now and if you put 200 into it to make it nice it's really a pretty decent deal overall for a Dredd. That game is gaining pop and going > in price lately so you did ok really even IF they don't step up and make it right. They should at least drop you a couple c notes to help pay for the fix up though. I would rather that than have them send the parts which will pretty much be used parts from the wrong game most likely! Fix er up and you'll be happy when all is said and done!

Tom

#22 10 years ago

The dishonesty in this hobby is starting to get to me. I'm glad my collection is nearly 'complete', as I'm about done paying these outrageous prices while not being told the truth regarding the completeness and condition of the games I'm getting.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

You should be able to fix those things pretty easy once you get in there. 2500 sounds high but it's not. This is market price now and if you put 200 into it to make it nice it's really a pretty decent deal overall for a Dredd. That game is gaining pop and going > in price lately so you did ok really even IF they don't step up and make it right. They should at least drop you a couple c notes to help pay for the fix up though. I would rather that than have them send the parts which will pretty much be used parts from the wrong game most likely! Fix er up and you'll be happy when all is said and done!
Tom

why should he have to worry about fixing something, which should have been fine in the first place. your saying dont worry, just fix it yourself? ... i'd be pretty fucking upset. shopped my ass.

#24 10 years ago

I hate to see this happen... but it's true. Many of the big pinball companies who advertise a lot on the web are just drop-shippers or just do a windex shop job. Often, they never even see the machines they sell. Restorers (like myself) usually post video and detailed pictures of the games they sell and have a long standing history and pictures/references to back them up.

Things do break in transit - I sold a machine that the DMD driver blew within a week and took out the display. That sucks, but it happens. The seller should compensate for mishaps, but there is no excuse for nasty coils like that.

#25 10 years ago

I'd say I can see both sides of this. The definition of "shopped" is about as loosey-goosey as they come. For some people it means wiping the playfield down with novus and calling it a day. Others take it to the n-th degree and tear the entire topside of the playfield down, rebuild all of the mechs, etc.

That said, I think it's reasonable for you to ask for the replacement parts at the very least. Let their reaction form your opinion. Give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Shopped is a relative term. But if they said the flippers were rebuilt, and sleeves replaced, then that is what should have been done. I provide very specific details when I sell a game. If the ad just uses vague terms such as "shopped and working as it should," then beware.

Like he Said!! The more time I have in this hobby, the more I am starting to hate vague terms liked "Shopped out." I guess part of it is just the engineer in me, but i want things spelled out, specified as to what work was done and any issues on a game if possible, or I will ask.

#27 10 years ago

Sorry this happened. You sound reasonable, you're smart enough to know that outing the seller early on isn't going to help you get what you want, and you admit that you've learned the lesson. I hope it ends up better for you.

You are not alone. There are hundreds of posts here where people who haven't been able to find a game that they want after looking really hard for three weeks buy sight unseen from a retailer, pay over market, and are disappointed when the game shows up if it shows up at all.

Yet people continue to do it over and over.

Buying sight unseen from a retailer is even more risky than buying sight unseen from Ebay auction. At least on an Ebay auction, you can see some feedback, and take some degree of comfort in the fact that you are paying somewhat market price, and if you get all-out hosed, Ebay offers you some additional level of protection.

For those guys thinking about buying like this...please make a post here first and offer $50 or $100 to someone who lives in Springfield to go over to the Acme Pinball Co. to look at a game for you, play it, take some pics, and report back on it's condition. The Springfield guy will probably do it for free, but even if not, $50 or $100 is a good deal to avoid a four or five figure mistake.

Or, make a post here first and ask for opinions about and experience with the Acme Pinball Co. This isn't as good as the suggestion above, since it won't give you any info about the game you are looking at buying...just the rep of Acme. You might not know squat about the Acme, but hundreds of guys here know a lot about them, and are willing to tell you publicly or privately.

#28 10 years ago

I've never purchased from a retailer. The few I've tried to do business with, admitted they don't like doing business with collectors that "ask too many questions" and hold their feet to the fire.

If it were me, I'd expect more than a shirt I'd ask for a financial kickback so I could bring the machine up to the condition described. I'd guesstimate the retailer made 1k on the sale, so there is plenty of profit to help ease your pain. If they don't agree, just gently remind them it's easy to drop their name on the public forums. Unfortunately, it's possible they won't give a crap since Pinsiders are typically the folks they avoid doing business with.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Pinsiders are typically the folks they avoid doing business with.

Yeah, always steer clear of vendors who dislike 'educated consumers'

#30 10 years ago

I'm always wary of the " our technitions go through blah blah , fully shopped blah blah " one it's shipped they won't see it again and they know it .

#31 10 years ago

They are sending me all the parts I requested and they are rush shipping them so I'm pretty happy with the result: Pinball machine with freshly rebuilt flippers for 2500.

Perhaps I should have asked for LEDs or something. Too late now...

I don't think I will buy a machine sight-unseen again, but I am ok with how this turned out.

I gave them a link to this thread, so I think tht may have helped.

Thanks!

#32 10 years ago

I would have asked for all the parts plus a price adjustment for the machine having shipped in that condition...

It is outragous that any company with a "brick and mortar" store front should not go through the games right in the first place...

as far as i am concerned they cornholed you hard...

i am not saying they needed to restore it for that money you spent, but it shoulda been clean and playing like a champ...

for 2500...

#33 10 years ago

Why not share this company's name now that they have "made good" (by sending you parts)?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Why not share this company's name now that they have "made good" (by sending you parts)?

I'd wait until you have your parts and up and running like a champ before posting their info, interpretation and all that. Wait for the happy ending

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

before posting their info

Uggg lets not.. I feel another Mad Amusements is great, Mad is bad, he won't ship to international, he is my best friend ever, thread starting if that happens.... Tastes great! Less filling!!!

It's great they are sending you the parts, just speak with your wallet and don't go there again.

#36 10 years ago

Sounds like a FUN pinball sale.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-overreacting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.