Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 102 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by fireball2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

647EFD21-0BF8-4C97-BC82-1715A02162A8 (resized).jpeg
    E6B1A67A-1CE1-4DA6-8E6A-958EE8540F86 (resized).jpeg
    955F4561-74F1-43F0-919A-9BCFBB9F519C (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    zr50j5d4zn821 (resized).jpg
    0DFD9893-0831-485B-B87B-13FD5F679921.gif
    giphy (5).gif
    tv2 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    simpsons-abe-simpson (resized).png
    HrnyEk9R1fRi.gif
    Unfrozen Caveman Pinballer (resized).png
    6888070A-4375-4DC9-9EDA-537E620EF561 (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 1 year ago

How much did he sell his Gemini for, I wonder?

#52 1 year ago

So don’t be part of the problem, change the tides, sell everything for well below market!

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/zydeco-bluesmobi/market/all-archived

#53 1 year ago

Hmmm.... It's him.
    In before the drain.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

How much did he sell his Gemini for, I wonder?

Exactly what I paid for it 10 years ago! EMs have soul period. NIB cactus canyon remakes are about as exciting as watching paint dry! When I get done playing a new multi ball sing me song light show computer DMD I think to myself that’s 5-10 minutes I’ll never get back!

#55 1 year ago

The funny thing about egg prices is how the US’s largest egg producer doubled their prices this past year due to “inflation, increased operation costs and the bird flu” but still managed to make almost $200 million profit, which is a $199 million dollar increase over the $1 million profit they’d made the year before.

That profit increase sure seems awfully out of step with keeping up with the cost of doing business and interest rate.

Kinda like when the gas prices went crazy due to “inflation and the Ukrainian war”, but oil producers were actually pulling in astronomically high record-breaking profits.

Unlike pinball machines, most people can’t just stop buying eggs and gas..

0DFD9893-0831-485B-B87B-13FD5F679921.gif0DFD9893-0831-485B-B87B-13FD5F679921.gif
    #56 1 year ago
    zr50j5d4zn821 (resized).jpgzr50j5d4zn821 (resized).jpg
    #57 1 year ago

The deals are out there, you just gotta look for them

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #58 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

The deals are out there, you just gotta look for them

That's actually the OP's point...$650 for a project EM now. They were $200 or less not very long ago.
    I paid $180 each for Stingray and Stern Pinball EM (decent projects) only about 5 years ago.
    There were also a lot more games 10 or more years ago that were "free for the hauling". Now, most people know that even a non-working pinball machine is worth something.

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

most people can’t just stop buying eggs

Let them eat pancakes!

#60 1 year ago

Eggs go up to $50 a dozen:
    Levi: So I can eat breakfast for $7 a day, I don’t see the big deal.

Becoming the The George Costanza of pinside right before our eyes.

#61 1 year ago

Admittedly, those two aren't exclusive. You could be old AND not getting it.

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

[quoted image]

So we've finally made it to the eggument.

#63 1 year ago

What if I am old and losing what I thought I had already got?

#64 1 year ago

OP to be on a Progressive Insurance commercial soon.

955F4561-74F1-43F0-919A-9BCFBB9F519C (resized).jpeg955F4561-74F1-43F0-919A-9BCFBB9F519C (resized).jpeg
    #65 1 year ago
    Quoted from zydeco-bluesmobi:

Exactly what I paid for it 10 years ago!

Ah, so YOU’RE the guy that started this “I want to overpay for everything rare and or, nice before it’s cool to do so!”
    And here I was thinking it was all Banning’s Covid-Fever-MEGA-Auction’s fault, that screwed us into our current situation this whole time… Silly me.

Thanks for clarifying!

After all, us “Old Timers” know…Gemini, (much like Judge Dredd) should STILL be a $1400 game folks!

#66 1 year ago

Did you mean Genesis?

#67 1 year ago

No, I was squarely more in the Nintendo camp back then.

#68 1 year ago

Inflation is a thing, but so isn't population. 250 million people in the US in 1990, 332 million today.

With population increase comes more demand for used games. The population will continue to increase, but the number of used Twilight Zones in the world will not.

The pandemic really changed things too. Tons of money not being spent on vacations, people buying pinball machines instead. The number of people who became regulars at the co-op has doubled in the last 6 months alone. Those who are now regulars tell me they started playing pinball during the pandemic, buying a game because they were stuck home.

And here we are.

Nobody is forcing anyone's hand to buy an item they don't need. I see no reason to be angry about it. Life goes on.

#69 1 year ago

Used to be before browsers and social media people with em's would sell their game for what they paid or half of that. So I used to never pay more than $300 for most titles. Now, they type in the machine name and google has links to facebook and ebay. Fixed! Now they know what to charge $1200 - $2000+ and say my favorites "it used to play", "turns on and lights up", etc..

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from DCP:

That's actually the OP's point...$650 for a project EM now. They were $200 or less not very long ago.
    I paid $180 each for Stingray and Stern Pinball EM (decent projects) only about 5 years ago.

At PinaGoGO back in November, I picked up Fun Land for $400 (It was fairly close to fully working) and a super fun CC pitch n bat (90% working, soon fixed) Home Run for $200. I passed on two other EM projects that were in the 2-300 range. And this is California pricing.
    Obviously there ain't the deals there used to be regularly, but keep your ear to the ground as my granny used to say, and you'll still score a deal here and there.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Ah, so YOU’RE the guy that started this “I want to overpay for everything rare and or, nice before it’s cool to do so!”
    And here I was thinking it was all Banning’s Covid-Fever-MEGA-Auction’s fault, that screwed us into our current situation this whole time… Silly me.
    Thanks for clarifying!
    After all, us “Old Timers” know…Gemini, (much like Judge Dredd) should STILL be a $1400 game folks!

Quoted from NimblePin:

Thanks for clarifying!

WTH? Judge Dredd,ain’t this a EM hangout? Gemini Spacewalk Evel Knievel (EM version) are rare and hard to find. They were low production end of an era EM machines and we all know it’s the hunt that’s the fun once you find it and own and play it then sometimes you move on and sell it and recoup you $ Judge Dredd is not or will ever be in the same class they made thousands of those turds! You can get any SS/DMD you want they are everywhere and if not they will have a re-make next month! No hunt just the Robert Dinero $$$$$$ Sad but true.

#72 1 year ago

So let me get this straight…

E6B1A67A-1CE1-4DA6-8E6A-958EE8540F86 (resized).jpegE6B1A67A-1CE1-4DA6-8E6A-958EE8540F86 (resized).jpeg
    #73 1 year ago

I’m creating my dream EM lineup one machine at a time… so far I’ve found everything or seen everything I’ve ever wanted for sale recently with the exception of my Subway, which I never thought I would find but did. Looking for 2 more EM’s possibly 3- a zipper flipper 70’s Bally, a Flipper Parade, and Skyline. Would really like either a Cross Town, Hurdy Gurdy, or Diamond Jack to go with its AAB or Replay brother, depending, just to showcase the difference. As it stands, I have a “weakness” with my Wedgehead addiction- AAB (over Replays just because my early years of play were on mostly AABs where I grew up) and it has to have a backglass animation of some kind, and if more than one, even better, like Skyline.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I’m creating my dream EM lineup one machine at a time… so far I’ve found everything or seen everything I’ve ever wanted for sale recently with the exception of my Subway, which I never thought I would find but did. Looking for 2 more EM’s possibly 3- a zipper flipper 70’s Bally, a Flipper Parade, and Skyline. Would really like either a Cross Town, Hurdy Gurdy, or Diamond Jack to go with its AAB or Replay brother, depending, just to showcase the difference. As it stands, I have a “weakness” with my Wedgehead addiction- AAB (over Replays just because my early years of play were on mostly AABs where I grew up) and it has to have a backglass animation of some kind, and if more than one, even better, like Skyline.

Why own newer monster bash it all ends the same! Buy sell buy something else! NO SOUL!

#75 1 year ago

Why own newer monster bash it all ends the same! Buy sell buy something else! NO SOUL!

If you say grandchildren then teach them EM technology they will learn computers soon enough

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

The deals are out there, you just gotta look for them[quoted image]

Just happy to get that one out the way.

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Just happy to get that one out the way.

I’m sure there’s pin heads out there that can awaking me but true fact is SS/DMDs are off the chart! Way too much money!

#78 1 year ago

I’m sure there’s pin heads out there that can awaking me but true fact is SS/DMDs are off the chart! Way too much money!

Just buy fewer games. I’m happy with EM’s. First purchase in at least 2 years.
    647EFD21-0BF8-4C97-BC82-1715A02162A8 (resized).jpeg647EFD21-0BF8-4C97-BC82-1715A02162A8 (resized).jpeg

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I’m happy with EM’s.

Then you will be able to still find machines at an OK price. I think EM's are fantastic from a nostalgia point of view; however I personally find them boring as #%$^

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:Then you will be able to still find machines at an OK price. I think EM's are fantastic from a nostalgia point of view; however I personally find them boring as #%$^

Curious why you’re posting in the Electro-Mechanical Sub-Forum when you find them boring as #%$^?

#81 1 year ago

Odd..I have the EM section drained, yet this thread came up. Had no idea it was only about EM's....just figured it was another price complaint thread.

#82 1 year ago

Maybe this isn’t a hobby any more?

Owning a game is not a requirement of the hobby. For the first 80 or so years of the hobby, virtually no one had a game at home. If you're old, you know this. If the price of home ownership is out of your range, I suggest you stick to playing on location. Still in the hobby, a lot cheaper.

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Curious why you’re posting in the Electro-Mechanical Sub-Forum when you find them boring as #%$^?

I like EMs, so I got no beef with them. However, I think this topic popped up on the main forum for some reason, so I think everyone is looking at it.

#84 1 year ago

If you say grandchildren then teach them EM technology they will learn computers soon enough

Why MB? That’s an easy one to answer. I collect the machines of my personal Pinball journey in life. Pinbot was the machine my wife was playing when I fell in love with her. Bride of Pinbot because duh! we got married. Family Guy- one of our favorite animated shows and our first new machine we bought together. Monster Bash and South Park, we played them side by side at the Cincinnati Dave & Busters and said someday we would own both. MB was our first LE NIB we unboxed together, and wife found South Park at TPF and bought it, didn’t even ask me if it was a good deal or not, but she knows what she’s doing, she helps pay for all these and knows what they are worth, and what to look for. Perfect Pinball Partner in Crime and Life. My EMs are the machines I learned to play pinball on when they were as NEW as I was. Although Hurdy Gurdy was my monkey machine back in the day, but when a Central Park showed up from a rift in the time vortex, I jumped on that monkey’s back and have been quite happy. Most whipper-snappers haven’t heard of Humpty Dumpty, but that and Hurdy Gurdy where the first 2 machines I ever played…

#85 1 year ago

I never thought I would see pins selling for over 10k much less than 34-50 and then I see three games come up for sale in that range. 50k...for a freak'n pinball machine. and FIRM, too! I'll firmly hold on to my EM beauties.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from TwinDavid:

I never thought I would see pins selling for over 10k much less than 34-50 and then I see three games come up for sale in that range. 50k...for a freak'n pinball machine. and FIRM, too!

Like tulips and Beanie Babies, eventually all bubbles pop.

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from edednedy:

Like tulips and Beanie Babies, eventually all bubbles pop.

I’m waiting for the wedgehead bubble to pop. But it’s sort of a bit like cheering on your old uncle to kick the proverbial bucket… waiting for enough of you old pinball wedgehead hoarders to die off leaving their clueless surviving relatives the task of unloading all those minty fresh AAB machines in the basement at pennies on the dollar…

Makes ya drool just thinking about it.

#88 1 year ago

I am glad I stopped buying pins back in 2010.

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

TV's really aren't a good comparison. TV's are about the only thing these days that continues to drop in price for better quality.

Yeah, and I remember when the first decent flat screens came out they were like 10k!
    And the big ones were like 40"
    The early plasma ones sucked and only lasted 5-7 years too!
    They are one of the only things nowadays that's really a great value!

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Yeah, but when you were buying you were REALLY buying. Ha ha.

#91 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Yeah, and I remember when the first decent flat screens came out they were like 10k!

Almost disposable. I’ve replaced my 32” TCL several times due to falls, left out in the weather etc.

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I'll probably quit too... When I get to 311!!!

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

To put things in a little perspective, $680 in 1973 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $4,545.54 today. Think about how much TV you could get today for $4500. Hell even $680 buys a great TV these days.
    [quoted image]

Love the old magazine clippings!
    Funny!
    Thanks for the calculations.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

I havnt had a Samsung last over 3 years. I bought my first 65 inch curved screen and within a year it hat white dots where groups of pixels were out. I bought a second one and about 5 inches on the left side went dark.

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I havnt had a Samsung last over 3 years. I bought my first 65 inch curved screen and within a year it hat white dots where groups of pixels were out. I bought a second one and about 5 inches on the left side went dark.

I still use the 32" "flat screen" LCD Samsung I paid $750 dollars for in 2004.

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I had a 65" samsung that lasted 7 years before I broke the screen lobbing grenades in VR. But it wasn't a cheap model by any means.

#97 1 year ago

My grandson is still using a 32" Samsung that we bought in 2009. It's been a tank. Appreciating it's outstanding quality I bought a 55" Samsung a couple years ago. The plastic trim around the screen broke as I was holding it up to hang it on the wall. It went back. I would say what was once great quality is no longer?

#98 1 year ago

Samsung can be hit and miss… but more hit for me than miss… I have a great 55” flat still working 13 years on, 75” flat that’s been working for the past 6, still plugging it, several monitors for pc’s and a 26” BG monitor in my virtual pin, and their phones outlast their batteries, I usually keep one for ever, currently still sporting the S10e. Until they totally pooch a large scale purchase, I’m sticking with them.

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I had a 65" samsung that lasted 7 years before I broke the screen lobbing grenades in VR. But it wasn't a cheap model by any means.

I have a 2012 es9000 sammy, still going strong

#100 1 year ago

So I have seriously had more than my fair share of bad luck.

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-old-or-just-not-getting-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.