5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8E6E484B-B82D-40D9-952A-364F3DD78C94 (resized).jpeg
5F0AB86E-A2F9-4F6D-89DF-80CFC3FC7AE7 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from airplanequartet:

1st game. Ok, I’ve gotten into pinball hard. I purchased my first machie right at 1 year ago, it was a BM66. I’ve had a huge amount of fun with this game and have modded the shit out of it. I’ve got just about every mod on it I’ve been able to find other than the topper, and that’s currently on order.
2nd game. Soon after getting my BM66, I purchased an AFM LE which I enjoyed but just didn’t get the joy out of that I was expecting. The linear play and simple rule sets just didn’t hold my attention. I didn’t play it as much and I initially enjoyed the variety it provided as a break from the BM66 but after a couple of months I realized I just didn’t think I wanted to keep it.
Game #3 I ended up trading ATF LE to a local dealer for a Star Wars Premium and some extra cash, I felt I got a great deal but I was seriously skeptical about the machine. I’d put a lot of balls on it locally and just wasn’t “getting” the game. I knew I didn’t want the AFM so I traded thinking I might get into SW over time. I spent a lot of time trying to love this game. As can be seen from my avatar, Star Wars is an important theme for me. I truly wanted to love this game and after putting a long time on it, I just wasn’t enjoying myself. The hyper space shot, while AMAZING when you activate the loop, is an extremely difficult shot to dial in. I just wanted to push this game into the river. It’s such a great game but impossible for me to play. I need to get rid of it, all it did was to frustrate me.
Game #4, During my initial immersion into pinball, I played a lot of pinball on my iPad and fell in love with the ST:TNG pinball table. It’s really a dream theme for me and the game was very enjoyable. I played a table locally and decided I’d like to purchase this game. I was in the market for a couple of months before I found a very good example and purchased it. I also had a lot of fun upgrading the lighting and doing other fixes to bring it into very excellent shape.
Game #5, the wide body ST:TNG is a much slower pin than the other two I had (SW & BM66) and while I really enjoyed the theme, I found I just wasn’t playing it as much as I’d anticipated I would. I had also started playing a 2013 Stern Star Trek and man oh man, that was a great table! Similar Picard Manuever type shot and a much faster game. Lots of depth and great game play. I eventually made the decision to sell the ST:TNG and purchase a Stern Star Trek. I’m really enjoying ST now and am extremely glad I made the switch, even though ST:TNG is a dream theme.
Game #6, I was invited to a launch party for Iron Maiden. I was intrigued by this machine but just thought the theme really sucked. I’m not a fan of Iron Maiden and WAS set on enjoying this game at local venues but with the theme, just didn’t think it would ever win me over. Boy was I wrong. As I’d go to local venues, I found myself drawn more and more toward this table. I ended up falling in love with it, it really is a cool table and while I wasn’t into the music, the zombie mummy theme really appealed to me. As I continued to play it I realized it was going to be my next game. I think Keith Elwin really was the key to this title with his design and experience in just what makes pinball fun, this game is a winner. I was finally able to make a trade for my SW to get an Iron Maiden Premium.
In the meantime, I also purchased a centipede Cabernet which has been a great addition to the collection.
My game room is my garage. Now I’m seriously considering taking out a second mortgage to turn my garage into a game room so I can continue to expand my collection and build my own personal arcade. I only have room for three games in my current set up. I’d love to continue to build it, expanding on both the pinball and more arcade games.
I’m interested in understanding how others caught the bug and expanded their collections. Remodeling my house seems extreme but I just don’t have the room and really want more machines.
My current wish list which I don’t have room for...
Robotron 2084
World Poker Tour
Apollo 13
Firepower
Space Station
ST:TNG (I want it back!)
Pinbot
Bride of Pinbot
Star Wars Vector Arcade
FroggeR
Ms Pac-Man
Am I an addict?
I’m pretty happy with my current lineup now and I think it’s really about expanding the collection now.
I need more room!

Wow, you sound exactly like me. I had a stern star trek pro, sold it and later got an sttng. Then I sold that one for pretty much the reasons you described, it just played too slow because it is a widebody. Now i want the stern star trek back. I don't like AFM either. Star wars is too confusing for me.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You'll find out how normal you are when you decide it's time for these games to go and realize you will never get all your money back.

That was only true for me when I bought brand new pins. Most used stuff you can break even, unless you spend too much on mods.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from airplanequartet:

1st game. Ok, I’ve gotten into pinball hard. I purchased my first machie right at 1 year ago, it was a BM66. I’ve had a huge amount of fun with this game and have modded the shit out of it. I’ve got just about every mod on it I’ve been able to find other than the topper, and that’s currently on order.
2nd game. Soon after getting my BM66, I purchased an AFM LE which I enjoyed but just didn’t get the joy out of that I was expecting. The linear play and simple rule sets just didn’t hold my attention. I didn’t play it as much and I initially enjoyed the variety it provided as a break from the BM66 but after a couple of months I realized I just didn’t think I wanted to keep it.
Game #3 I ended up trading ATF LE to a local dealer for a Star Wars Premium and some extra cash, I felt I got a great deal but I was seriously skeptical about the machine. I’d put a lot of balls on it locally and just wasn’t “getting” the game. I knew I didn’t want the AFM so I traded thinking I might get into SW over time. I spent a lot of time trying to love this game. As can be seen from my avatar, Star Wars is an important theme for me. I truly wanted to love this game and after putting a long time on it, I just wasn’t enjoying myself. The hyper space shot, while AMAZING when you activate the loop, is an extremely difficult shot to dial in. I just wanted to push this game into the river. It’s such a great game but impossible for me to play. I need to get rid of it, all it did was to frustrate me.
Game #4, During my initial immersion into pinball, I played a lot of pinball on my iPad and fell in love with the ST:TNG pinball table. It’s really a dream theme for me and the game was very enjoyable. I played a table locally and decided I’d like to purchase this game. I was in the market for a couple of months before I found a very good example and purchased it. I also had a lot of fun upgrading the lighting and doing other fixes to bring it into very excellent shape.
Game #5, the wide body ST:TNG is a much slower pin than the other two I had (SW & BM66) and while I really enjoyed the theme, I found I just wasn’t playing it as much as I’d anticipated I would. I had also started playing a 2013 Stern Star Trek and man oh man, that was a great table! Similar Picard Manuever type shot and a much faster game. Lots of depth and great game play. I eventually made the decision to sell the ST:TNG and purchase a Stern Star Trek. I’m really enjoying ST now and am extremely glad I made the switch, even though ST:TNG is a dream theme.
Game #6, I was invited to a launch party for Iron Maiden. I was intrigued by this machine but just thought the theme really sucked. I’m not a fan of Iron Maiden and WAS set on enjoying this game at local venues but with the theme, just didn’t think it would ever win me over. Boy was I wrong. As I’d go to local venues, I found myself drawn more and more toward this table. I ended up falling in love with it, it really is a cool table and while I wasn’t into the music, the zombie mummy theme really appealed to me. As I continued to play it I realized it was going to be my next game. I think Keith Elwin really was the key to this title with his design and experience in just what makes pinball fun, this game is a winner. I was finally able to make a trade for my SW to get an Iron Maiden Premium.
In the meantime, I also purchased a centipede Caberet which has been a great addition to the collection.
My game room is my garage. Now I’m seriously considering taking out a second mortgage to turn my garage into a game room so I can continue to expand my collection and build my own personal arcade. I only have room for three games in my current set up. I’d love to continue to build it, expanding on both the pinball and more arcade games.
I’m interested in understanding how others caught the bug and expanded their collections. Remodeling my house seems extreme but I just don’t have the room and really want more machines.
My current wish list which I don’t have room for...
Robotron 2084
World Poker Tour
Apollo 13
Firepower
Space Station
ST:TNG (I want it back!)
Pinbot
Bride of Pinbot
Star Wars Vector Arcade
FroggeR
Ms Pac-Man
Am I an addict?
I’m pretty happy with my current lineup now and I think it’s really about expanding the collection now.
I need more room!

For me the obsession died down quickly once I realized I was never 100% happy with any pin. Eventually even our favorite pin becomes boring, then what Odin said is your next realization, it can become a money drain to keep swapping them out with new pins. Next I learned my kids don't care about pinball, so I don't buy with them in mind anymore.

Don't take out a 2nd mortgage, that would be stupid.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-normal?tu=pcprogrammer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.