Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8E6E484B-B82D-40D9-952A-364F3DD78C94 (resized).jpeg
5F0AB86E-A2F9-4F6D-89DF-80CFC3FC7AE7 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

1st game. Ok, I’ve gotten into pinball hard. I purchased my first machie right at 1 year ago, it was a BM66. I’ve had a huge amount of fun with this game and have modded the shit out of it. I’ve got just about every mod on it I’ve been able to find other than the topper, and that’s currently on order.

2nd game. Soon after getting my BM66, I purchased an AFM LE which I enjoyed but just didn’t get the joy out of that I was expecting. The linear play and simple rule sets just didn’t hold my attention. I didn’t play it as much and I initially enjoyed the variety it provided as a break from the BM66 but after a couple of months I realized I just didn’t think I wanted to keep it.

Game #3 I ended up trading ATF LE to a local dealer for a Star Wars Premium and some extra cash, I felt I got a great deal but I was seriously skeptical about the machine. I’d put a lot of balls on it locally and just wasn’t “getting” the game. I knew I didn’t want the AFM so I traded thinking I might get into SW over time. I spent a lot of time trying to love this game. As can be seen from my avatar, Star Wars is an important theme for me. I truly wanted to love this game and after putting a long time on it, I just wasn’t enjoying myself. The hyper space shot, while AMAZING when you activate the loop, is an extremely difficult shot to dial in. I just wanted to push this game into the river. It’s such a great game but impossible for me to play. I need to get rid of it, all it did was to frustrate me.

Game #4, During my initial immersion into pinball, I played a lot of pinball on my iPad and fell in love with the ST:TNG pinball table. It’s really a dream theme for me and the game was very enjoyable. I played a table locally and decided I’d like to purchase this game. I was in the market for a couple of months before I found a very good example and purchased it. I also had a lot of fun upgrading the lighting and doing other fixes to bring it into very excellent shape.

Game #5, the wide body ST:TNG is a much slower pin than the other two I had (SW & BM66) and while I really enjoyed the theme, I found I just wasn’t playing it as much as I’d anticipated I would. I had also started playing a 2013 Stern Star Trek and man oh man, that was a great table! Similar Picard Manuever type shot and a much faster game. Lots of depth and great game play. I eventually made the decision to sell the ST:TNG and purchase a Stern Star Trek. I’m really enjoying ST now and am extremely glad I made the switch, even though ST:TNG is a dream theme.

Game #6, I was invited to a launch party for Iron Maiden. I was intrigued by this machine but just thought the theme really sucked. I’m not a fan of Iron Maiden and WAS set on enjoying this game at local venues but with the theme, just didn’t think it would ever win me over. Boy was I wrong. As I’d go to local venues, I found myself drawn more and more toward this table. I ended up falling in love with it, it really is a cool table and while I wasn’t into the music, the zombie mummy theme really appealed to me. As I continued to play it I realized it was going to be my next game. I think Keith Elwin really was the key to this title with his design and experience in just what makes pinball fun, this game is a winner. I was finally able to make a trade for my SW to get an Iron Maiden Premium.

In the meantime, I also purchased a centipede Caberet which has been a great addition to the collection.

My game room is my garage. Now I’m seriously considering taking out a second mortgage to turn my garage into a game room so I can continue to expand my collection and build my own personal arcade. I only have room for three games in my current set up. I’d love to continue to build it, expanding on both the pinball and more arcade games.

I’m interested in understanding how others caught the bug and expanded their collections. Remodeling my house seems extreme but I just don’t have the room and really want more machines.

My current wish list which I don’t have room for...

Robotron 2084
World Poker Tour
Apollo 13
Firepower
Space Station
ST:TNG (I want it back!)
Pinbot
Bride of Pinbot
Star Wars Vector Arcade
FroggeR
Ms Pac-Man

Am I an addict?

I’m pretty happy with my current lineup now and I think it’s really about expanding the collection now.

I need more room!

#2 5 years ago

Where there is a will, there’s a way. As long as your bills are paid and you help others, go for it. We’ve dedicated our basement to our arcade. 3 pins and 6 arcades right now, and growing.

5F0AB86E-A2F9-4F6D-89DF-80CFC3FC7AE7 (resized).jpeg5F0AB86E-A2F9-4F6D-89DF-80CFC3FC7AE7 (resized).jpeg
#3 5 years ago

Although household modification to meet pinball needs is the ultimate extreme of the hobby, many through the years have been able to contain the virus by keeping the host somewhat volumetrically challenged. When your house is small enough, the virus only spreads to fill all pinball machine sized nooks and crannies then becomes dormant. Once the house has been enlarged to accept more machines, the virus completes its take over of the host, usually to the detriment of any matrimonial vows if one is engaged in that sort of behavior. I am afraid, sir, you have the virus. There us no cure. My condolences.

#4 5 years ago

Flight 2000!!!, great game. What arcades do you have?

#5 5 years ago

"They do have a tendency to multiply"
Enjoy

#6 5 years ago

Wow, well my adventure started with a 9 ft pool table, and a empty basement. I thought it would be kinda cool to have a pin as well.
So I found a 6 Million dollar man, for 800 bucks. Played the crap out of it, and totally forgot the pool table.
Then it broke, and I was at a loss to fix it or find someone who could, hence I learn the hard way.
About 4 months later I came to the decision that the one was fun, but lacked a lot of options from other games.
So 1 needed to be 2, and thought If can fix one game, can fix another which lead to a more complex and more complex games.
At this point I got the bug.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from airplanequartet:

1st game. Ok, I’ve gotten into pinball hard. I purchased my first machie right at 1 year ago, it was a BM66. I’ve had a huge amount of fun with this game and have modded the shit out of it. I’ve got just about every mod on it I’ve been able to find other than the topper, and that’s currently on order.
2nd game. Soon after getting my BM66, I purchased an AFM LE which I enjoyed but just didn’t get the joy out of that I was expecting. The linear play and simple rule sets just didn’t hold my attention. I didn’t play it as much and I initially enjoyed the variety it provided as a break from the BM66 but after a couple of months I realized I just didn’t think I wanted to keep it.
Game #3 I ended up trading ATF LE to a local dealer for a Star Wars Premium and some extra cash, I felt I got a great deal but I was seriously skeptical about the machine. I’d put a lot of balls on it locally and just wasn’t “getting” the game. I knew I didn’t want the AFM so I traded thinking I might get into SW over time. I spent a lot of time trying to love this game. As can be seen from my avatar, Star Wars is an important theme for me. I truly wanted to love this game and after putting a long time on it, I just wasn’t enjoying myself. The hyper space shot, while AMAZING when you activate the loop, is an extremely difficult shot to dial in. I just wanted to push this game into the river. It’s such a great game but impossible for me to play. I need to get rid of it, all it did was to frustrate me.
Game #4, During my initial immersion into pinball, I played a lot of pinball on my iPad and fell in love with the ST:TNG pinball table. It’s really a dream theme for me and the game was very enjoyable. I played a table locally and decided I’d like to purchase this game. I was in the market for a couple of months before I found a very good example and purchased it. I also had a lot of fun upgrading the lighting and doing other fixes to bring it into very excellent shape.
Game #5, the wide body ST:TNG is a much slower pin than the other two I had (SW & BM66) and while I really enjoyed the theme, I found I just wasn’t playing it as much as I’d anticipated I would. I had also started playing a 2013 Stern Star Trek and man oh man, that was a great table! Similar Picard Manuever type shot and a much faster game. Lots of depth and great game play. I eventually made the decision to sell the ST:TNG and purchase a Stern Star Trek. I’m really enjoying ST now and am extremely glad I made the switch, even though ST:TNG is a dream theme.
Game #6, I was invited to a launch party for Iron Maiden. I was intrigued by this machine but just thought the theme really sucked. I’m not a fan of Iron Maiden and WAS set on enjoying this game at local venues but with the theme, just didn’t think it would ever win me over. Boy was I wrong. As I’d go to local venues, I found myself drawn more and more toward this table. I ended up falling in love with it, it really is a cool table and while I wasn’t into the music, the zombie mummy theme really appealed to me. As I continued to play it I realized it was going to be my next game. I think Keith Elwin really was the key to this title with his design and experience in just what makes pinball fun, this game is a winner. I was finally able to make a trade for my SW to get an Iron Maiden Premium.
In the meantime, I also purchased a centipede Cabernet which has been a great addition to the collection.
My game room is my garage. Now I’m seriously considering taking out a second mortgage to turn my garage into a game room so I can continue to expand my collection and build my own personal arcade. I only have room for three games in my current set up. I’d love to continue to build it, expanding on both the pinball and more arcade games.
I’m interested in understanding how others caught the bug and expanded their collections. Remodeling my house seems extreme but I just don’t have the room and really want more machines.
Robotron 2084
World Poker Tour
Apollo 13
Firepower
Space Station
Pinbot
Bride of Pinbot
Star Wars Vector Arcade
FroggeR
Ms Pac-Man
Am I an addict?
I’m pretty happy with my current lineup now and I think it’s really about expanding the collection now.
I need more room!

Wow, you sound exactly like me. I had a stern star trek pro, sold it and later got an sttng. Then I sold that one for pretty much the reasons you described, it just played too slow because it is a widebody. Now i want the stern star trek back. I don't like AFM either. Star wars is too confusing for me.

#8 5 years ago

You'll find out how normal you are when you decide it's time for these games to go and realize you will never get all your money back.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You'll find out how normal you are when you decide it's time for these games to go and realize you will never get all your money back.

That was only true for me when I bought brand new pins. Most used stuff you can break even, unless you spend too much on mods.

#10 5 years ago

I had 1 then 2 then...24 now down to 8 and much happier with them, and more time for other things.
Still have a couple projects on top ot the 8 to keep me busy when I feel like tinkering which is my favorite part of it all.
You either keep going forever or you find you balance point. I'm glad I found mine but to each is own.

#11 5 years ago

Flight 2000!!!, great game. What arcades do you have?

We have centipede, moon patrol, pac man, space invaders deluxe, galaxian, and 1943

#12 5 years ago

I believe fellow Pinsider Frolic refers to this as "the sickness".

It's normal.

#13 5 years ago

In the meantime, I also purchased a centipede Caberet which has been a great addition to the collection.
Robotron 2084
World Poker Tour
Apollo 13
Firepower
Space Station
Pinbot
Bride of Pinbot
Star Wars Vector Arcade
FroggeR
Ms Pac-Man
Am I an addict?
I need more room!

For me the obsession died down quickly once I realized I was never 100% happy with any pin. Eventually even our favorite pin becomes boring, then what Odin said is your next realization, it can become a money drain to keep swapping them out with new pins. Next I learned my kids don't care about pinball, so I don't buy with them in mind anymore.

Don't take out a 2nd mortgage, that would be stupid.

#14 5 years ago

You do want you want to do! If having pins and arcade games make your life more enjoyable, go for it! What is normal? We all enjoy different things! My dad had a bumper sticker on his truck like this when I was a kid. He said enjoy life! No to the second mortgage. Only buy what you can afford, don’t get into extra debt for a hobby

8E6E484B-B82D-40D9-952A-364F3DD78C94 (resized).jpeg8E6E484B-B82D-40D9-952A-364F3DD78C94 (resized).jpeg

#15 5 years ago

I'm a big believer that you dont finance toys.

So a second mortgage? No way.

#16 5 years ago

How come you can only fit 3 pins in your garage? Lets start there. Can you get a dumpster and just start throwing shit away? That's what I did and we have a 3 car garage and the 3rd bay has 9 pins in it now lol. I put some heat/ac in there and today I play to move them all out and paint then put a floor in so its not concrete. Hang my PFs on the ceiling and part. Garages are awesome. As long as my wife can park in the garage she doesnt care what i do. When we first moved in I walled off the 3rd bay from the "main" garage so just that area is heated and cooled

#17 5 years ago

Like many of us, I bought a bigger house.
Now the plan is to expand the basement out a bunch, but that won't be happening NY time soon.

#19 5 years ago

Sounds pretty normal. I got my wife into pinball, now my garage and mancave are packed with pins. I have an architech making plans for my house expansion so we can get them all in one area of the house. No second mortgage needed though.

#20 5 years ago

There are so many things that have my interest right now, but I can't justify adding every game that I want. The thought of selling something I like for something else I like doesn't appeal to me either. That's a very real complication....the thought of "I'm happy now, but could I be happier with something else?"....

#21 5 years ago

Started with one , then 2 then 3. Absolutely no more the 4. Now, 15 and asking myself Why?, why do these things keep coming?....because I have a serious illness that I cannot control, thats why....I really need help

#22 5 years ago

Cash only for toys. But always looking for the next game. I do arcades as well as pins. In the processs of purchasing a DDR. Nothing like the rush of finding something new and seeing enjoyed in the game house.

#23 5 years ago

After reading your post, the bottom line is you have BM66, ST, and IM, which have long ball times IMHO, and you moved out AFMr, SW, and ST:TNG which can each be tough to shoot and frustrating IMHO. Your normal!

I would recommend a LOTR for you. Long ball times, not too hard to make all the shots, great rules, and arguably the best pin ever for immersive theme integration.

#24 5 years ago

If it makes you happy go for it!!! There is nothing like pure joy to make our lives worth living. YOLO.

#25 5 years ago

When I got into the hobby I had one pinball and I had a whis list of ten games that I really liked and wanted. 3 years later I have 62 games.

#26 5 years ago

To answer your original question.... No, none of us are "normal". No such thing as normal in this hobby. . Just do what you like and hollar out YOLO.

#27 5 years ago

At what point do you yank ALL of your other luke warm irons out of the fire, throw them in the proverbial dumpster (or the literal one to many a wive's pure joy) and focus singley on pinball? What pure fresh hell does that bring on when you start tabulating the net worth of every "iron" in your fire and thinking "How much are those old <fill in the blank> worth?" Maybe 25% of a new pin? Do I really need those old golf clubs?

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

I'm a big believer that you dont finance toys.
So a second mortgage? No way.

Great advice. I love my games, but love the roof over my head more.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I believe fellow Pinsider Frolic refers to this as "the sickness".

He's not the only one to do so.

OP: Welcome to the club!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-normal?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.