(Topic ID: 123939)

Am I Losing the Ability to Play my Own Game?

By Pauz21

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

So one of my games is a Data East Star Wars. I used to be disappointed if I didn't blow the death star up at least once in every game and a game under 100 million was shameful. Lately... I can't play the damn game. I can rarely get multi-ball... and my ball times rival my 7 year olds. Can a guy forget how to play his own game or could something be "off". I can't hit the damn death star to save my life. When I try the backhand which is the easiest shot in the game I hit both posts in front of the tunnel 99% of the time. I've also noticed the ball kicks out of the force scoop very irrationally too. It's never the same and I struggle to catch it now. I even miss the ramp more than I care to admit and let's be honest... it's the easiest ramp in pinball. Could flipper rubber be a problem? It's only a year old. Whatcha think... dial it in... or time to move on.

#2 9 years ago

How often do you play? This happens to me on my TZ if I don't play enough, but the shots quickly come back to me. I can go several games with 100 to 200 mil scores and then just crank out a killer game. I always wonder if I am getting worse at pinball as I get older. I used to be much more consistent. I feel your pain. I am not sure I would up and sell a game you like because your not playing well lately though.

#3 9 years ago

ACDC does the same thing to me unless I play it frequently and "stay sharp".
    Keep playing just this pin for a week and see if things change.

#4 9 years ago

I've been struggling with this since Christmas. I'm not sure a week will cure what ails me!

#5 9 years ago

Ship it to me I can play test if for you!

#6 9 years ago

I noticed my game greatly improved when I quit drinking. You go back to the bottle lately??

#7 9 years ago

Is the problem with the 1 pin and not any other pins? Is it time to wax, and replace worn balls? Have the flipper rubbers lost their flex?

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darkwing:

I noticed my game greatly improved when I quit drinking. You go back to the bottle lately??

You're implying I got off it!

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Is the problem with the 1 pin and not any other pins? Is it time to wax, and replace worn balls? Have the flipper rubbers lost their flex?

Well to be truthful the other two I have in the house have only been working 100% for a week or two so. Got em as fixer uppers. Now that I have all three I'm just trying to spread the love. My newly working Genie has been getting a lot of my attention.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Ship it to me I can play test if for you!

As soon as I get your TZ I'll ship mine to you in the same crate. It's the most environmentally friendly thing to do!

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Darkwing:

You're doing it wrong.

My best games occur a minimum of two beers deep.

#12 9 years ago

Check the flippers and rubbers for damage or maybe just change the rubber. I had a flipper break on my Getaway. Before it broke, I struggled to make shots. After replacing all flippers and adding super bands I was suddenly playing much better.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

After replacing all flippers and adding super bands I was suddenly playing much better.

There's your answer...super bands are weak. No bounce to them.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

You're doing it wrong.
    My best games occur a minimum of two beers deep.

Yeah, two is great, it's just at 6-8+ that things go wonky ^_^

#15 9 years ago

So that was a quick fix. Didn't have new flipper rubber so as a temporary fix I turned them around so the previously used portion was now on the backside of the flipper. I adjusted the force scoop and fired it up. First game 135 million. Second game, 297 Million. That's the stuff! Thanks boys.

#16 9 years ago

Sounds like you found a solution. I was just about to suggest checking the level of the playfield.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-losing-the-ability-to-play-my-own-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.