(Topic ID: 291890)

Am I looking for Simpsons Pinball Party?!

By HooperTriplett

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Let me wave off all the "why are you asking us what machine you'll like?" and "just go play a bunch of machines and decide" comments and encourage you instead to contribute to the meaningful discussions about pricing bubbles or when Deeproot will deliver. The whole global pandemic has limited me to a lot of window-shopping, so I'd love some thoughts about what machines fit our home.

Not a great player by any stretch, but I enjoy playing pinball, especially pins where I'm trying to accomplish something other than score points. I'm not thinking about stacking multipliers; I want to hit that ramp or loop, collect that character, or complete that mission. For example, I love Theatre of Magic. Had a chance to play Monster Bash (Limited Edition) on site and thought it was a blast. Have a The Shadow right now, and it's challenging enough for me, but would like something with more to do and maybe simpler. Having watched an excessive amount of @deadflip, I have a decent sense of what Stern's put out recently but wanted to get your thoughts.

What's a fun theme (and pretty family-friendly - don't think Rob Zombie's Spookshow International is going to work) where there's enough depth to play repeatedly but not so challenging that my games are just a couple minutes long?

Am I looking for a The Simpsons Pinball Party ?!

#2 3 years ago

TSPP will not be simpler but if you just want to "shoot for what's lit" and hear some good sound bites you'll still enjoy. I don't think you'll go wrong. Obviously you'll probably need to appreciate the license.

#3 3 years ago

TSPP is the best Stern game to date. I just seen one for sale on MR. Pinball Classifieds for $6300.

John

#4 3 years ago

It’s a good game, really can’t go wrong with it.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

TSPP will not be simpler but if you just want to "shoot for what's lit" and hear some good sound bites you'll still enjoy. I don't think you'll go wrong. Obviously you'll probably need to appreciate the license.

Yeah - I think that's why I'm balking because I'm not sure that the license works for me. Ten or 15 years ago, I would've loved it and this would be a no-brainer.

#6 3 years ago

I just listed mine on local Craigslist for $6200. Wish you were closer. Mint example in near perfect condition and completely everything you’re asking for. Only reason I’m listing it is that I’ve finally reached the point where I’ve run out of room. Yes, it took a long time. This game is awesome but I’ve leaned towards older quicker playing games lately with simpler objectives. Think tournament type of games. This and my LOTR were two of my grail games 5 years ago, and never thought I’d sell. Will probably regret it, but really need to make room.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I just listed mine on local Craigslist for $6200. Wish you were closer. Mint example in near perfect condition and completely everything you’re asking for. Only reason I’m listing it is that I’ve finally reached the point where I’ve run out of room. Yes, it took a long time. This game is awesome but I’ve leaned towards older quicker playing games lately with simpler objectives. Think tournament type of games. This and my LOTR were two of my grail games 5 years ago, and never thought I’d sell. Will probably regret it, but really need to make room.

So, what's your experience with Lord of the Rings ? I've only played it a couple times and it was not in great shape, so the play was hard to judge. Looks like a lot of depth, but how difficult/frustrating?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from HooperTriplett:

So, what's your experience with Lord of the Rings ? I've only played it a couple times and it was not in great shape, so the play was hard to judge. Looks like a lot of depth, but how difficult/frustrating?

Both are considered sterns best games. They are similar in depth and are mode based. Neither is difficult to learn or shoot, but are extremely difficult to progress to the wizard modes given all that you have to do. Personally I prefer tspp (in case my avatar didn’t give it away) because I think there is more to shoot for, but honestly, if I had to choose, I’d go by whichever theme you like most. I’ve owned my tspp since I bought it new in 2003.

#9 3 years ago

I own TSPP, was my first pin. I just sold LOTR. both are great games but i would lean towards TSPP personally.

I love the creativity of the rules and how they were designed. there is so much to do and i’ll personally never see most of what that game has to offer. i love that everything stacks and runs off of the timer which can be reset by starting another mode or by lighting the otto shot and shooting it. I got to alien invasion once and it was awesome but i got lucky with a few extra balls. The modes are also well done and integrated into the theme well. i would say if you’re a fan of the show go for it. don’t worry about beating it. So many ways to approach how you play it.

#10 3 years ago

I own both a TSPP and a LOTR. Both are extremely deep games, but I still feel they are approachable by players with limited pinball experience as you don’t really need to know or worry about the deeper rules to have fun (or even to get a decnt score). My main problem with LOTR is the ball times can be long, but if you set it up more difficult for skilled players it might be too short/frustrating for other players. This could apply to TSPP to some degree as well, but It doesn’t seem as pronounced to me. This sort of thing is mostly an issue in social settings where there is a lot of skill disparity between players and the more skilled player can hog the game for long time periods.

Thinking back to when I first started playing both games (at a location that also had a Shadow) I felt the basic rules of both were just more intuitive than the Shadow’s rules. Therefore, while both games may be deeper than the shadow, that depth is carefully layered so that they can be understood in digestible chunks as a player’s skill improves. And, as you alluded to, you don’t have to worry about building and managing play field multipliers like with some of Stern’s newer games. The good news is that you shouldn’t have problems flipping either game in the current market if you decide it’s not for you.

For a bit less money, I also recommend Ripley’s Believe it or Not from the same time period. It’s certainly less deep, but still has a LOT of potential strategy and both Atlantis and Frog Frenzy are rare achievements. However, the shrunken head creeps my wife out.

#11 3 years ago

It sounds to me that looking for a Twilight Zone. “Simpler” and “Lots to do” is hard to find in a game. But I think TZ delivers just that.
There are a lot of modes and multiballs, and its all very intuitive. So you get the best of both worlds. Plenty of game to play and keep you interested, plus the game makes it obvious what you need to do the entire time.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from classicgamefan:However, the shrunken head creeps my wife out.

A phrase I never thought would be relevant to a hobby of mine, but it is. Thanks for the warning!

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

It sounds to me that looking for a Twilight Zone. “Simpler” and “Lots to do” is hard to find in a game. But I think TZ delivers just that.
There are a lot of modes and multiballs, and its all very intuitive. So you get the best of both worlds. Plenty of game to play and keep you interested, plus the game makes it obvious what you need to do the entire time.

#twilight-zone has come up before as something worth exploring - thanks! I think I'm looking for something and potentially lower maintenance.

Any thoughts on Guardians of the Galaxy (Pro) or #star_trek_le ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-looking-for-simpsons-pinball-party and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.