Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Trident
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I've been playing it a ton on the Ipad app and I really like it. It just seems unique to me.

What's the opinion on this machine?

chris

#2 10 years ago

I have been playing it on pinball arcade on my iPad, seems fun, rules are very early 1990s though, only certain goals create high scores. Never played it on a real table though.

#4 10 years ago

If I remember correctly, there was one on the local MN craigslist. Hit me up if you need anything.

#5 10 years ago

Never crazy to want another pin!

#7 10 years ago

Not crazy at all. Great game. Sorry i sold it.

#8 10 years ago

It's our most recent pin, and I really like it. Always have. I think it brings variety to a collection.

#9 10 years ago

I have played it a few times and thought it was a lot of fun. And most important to me, it is really different. I would buy one in a second at the right price.

#10 10 years ago

I had one for a couple of years. It popped up for a really good price and I grabbed it. It was a lot of fun and the only reason I sold it is that I couldn't turn down the offer. I sort of miss it, but wouldn't buy it again unless it was a really great deal again.

It's got some great shots and fun modes. The cannon and video modes were cool but can get old. If I recall correctly, it plays "Drunken Sailor" at some point (which is right up your alley Chris!!).

#11 10 years ago

I've wanted one for 2 yrs but when I read that thread, I deterred from it so far! Seems like one guy had trouble with being a drain hog. That's why I don't own one.

#12 10 years ago

I played one this summer and it was pretty forgettable. Cool theme but it's the center shot all day long. Vid modes don't add to gameplay IMO.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

I've been playing it a ton on the Ipad app and I really like it. It just seems unique to me.

chris

Only crazy if you don't like it before hand. Everyone's taste in machines differ. Just look at my collection for example. I love all the games even though they aren't the most popular with the masses.

#14 10 years ago

Go for it! Variety is the spice of life. Any pinball machine is a great idea IMHO.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

chris

it was the first game I ever tried to restore. Looks great. Plays clunky as shit. Video modes suck. Scoring is very unbalanced. If you want to just look at it, it's a great game to get.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it was the first game I ever tried to restore. Looks great. Plays clunky as shit. Video modes suck. Scoring is very unbalanced. If you want to just look at it, it's a great game to get.

And did you "Neo" it and enhance the female artwork?

Chris

#17 10 years ago

Great game with very unique gameplay, never have understood the lack of respect it seems to get. Would I want it as my only game, probably not, but in any size of collection it is a different game with a very different ruleset which maybe is why it doesn't get much love. Had mine for 18 years, won't be going anywhere!!

#18 10 years ago

I'm thinking it doesn't have much longevity, but I'd still like to pick one up someday.

#19 10 years ago

Nice game, get it, play it...

#20 10 years ago

Was happy to get rid of it. Nice to look at but other than that.... If the Cannon motor goes you are going to be hard pressed to find another one available...and when you do it will be $300-400 easily.

#21 10 years ago

Not sure how much you want to pay, but this one is about 40 minutes from me in York, SC.

greenville.craigslist.org link

#22 10 years ago

When dialed in....it is a real sweet game!

I had one problem personally with it.

Perhaps one has seen, "The Jerk" with Steve Martin?
He invents glasses with a handle, the "Opti-Grab"

Well, like that, my eyes wont stop focusing on the center rail....it made me crazy!

Now, thats just me, but other then that, a sweet game, mods well with pirates, treasure chest, cannon, etc.
lights well with LEDs and is a fun game all around....

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

When dialed in....it is a real sweet game!
I had one problem personally with it.
Perhaps one has seen, "The Jerk" with Steve Martin?
He invents glasses with a handle, the "Opti-Grab"
Well, like that, my eyes wont stop focusing on the center rail....it made me crazy!
Now, thats just me, but other then that, a sweet game, mods well with pirates, treasure chest, cannon, etc.
lights well with LEDs and is a fun game all around....

Center ball return does not bother me a bit. Fun game. Definitely different. Cannon is so unique. Mine plays fine. Everyone that's played it loves it. Wouldn't want it to be my only pin though. I can see hanging onto for quite awhile. I just got mine a few weeks ago, so I may have more opinions on it later on down the road. Overall, worth owning IMHO.

#24 10 years ago

I'd like to get one to operate...

but since when is this a $2000-$2500 game? (Especially with no power and such, but I guess that's typical for Craigslist.)

Not that long ago, it was one of the cheapest WMS DMD's at $1000-$1500.

-Mark

#25 10 years ago

The cannon is awesome, and BR has some fun flow as well. 3 flipper game with inner Shadow-like loop. Getting harder to find these in good condition. You are not crazy to want one, you will never see a design like this in a newer pin.

#26 10 years ago

You may have made your mind pretty much right now but if I can allow myself.
This game is a solid sleeper. Way too underated. First of all, it's not a branded theme and that's a big must for me. The humor, the ramps, the loop and the many video modes are very well balanced. The center shot during multiball is a bit too generous, unbalancing the scoring system a bit too much though. Left and right outer lanes opening are a bit too wide for my taste too, making it a bit too hard/frustrating. Other than that, it's a must and a sure value.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

And did you "Neo" it and enhance the female artwork?
Chris

I do have a custom topless translite for BR. in fact I sold mine with one as well.

#28 10 years ago

If you want it...get it. It would be sad to see someone discourage you from enjoying a BR in your home!

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

chris

if you were closer I'd say come on over and check mine out to see what you think. As long as you don't overpay for one, you'll be happy with it.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

if you were closer I'd say come on over and check mine out to see what you think. As long as you don't overpay for one, you'll be happy with it.

Actually, I think Chris is planning on being in the neighborhood some weekend in March. Chris, LMK if you want to go check it out. I live about 15 minutes from Lakeville.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

Actually, I think Chris is planning on being in the neighborhood some weekend in March. Chris, LMK if you want to go check it out. I live about 15 minutes from Lakeville.

I'm actually about 2 mins from Savage. LMK

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I'm actually about 2 mins from Savage. LMK

Well in that case, I'm going to come over with or without Chris sometime!

#33 10 years ago

Well in that case, I'm going to come over with or without Chris sometime!

Always beer here too.....

#34 10 years ago

Yeah man. I would love to drop by.

I'll PM you. I would love to own a Cyclone as well.

Tony can't come. He will bring a jug of wine, get all trashed and will try to fart on your hand while you play.

Chris

#35 10 years ago

crazy for a Black Rose? No, u don't see them that often but I played one at a show, and its actually quite good. Nice theme and artwork, its like a early Pirates of the Caribbean but Jack Sparrow isn't a dude... 8). I think if I found one it very good condition in the 2-2500 range I would go for it, seems entertaining at least and would look very good with LEDS and a few tasteful pirate accessories.

#36 10 years ago

Very fun game imo the more you play it the more you love it great feeling to sink a couple ships in a game..it can drain slot but thats challenging to me f14s and alot of other games are no better on draining..it has alot of little things that ppl dont know like you can kill Polly by flipping flippers

#37 10 years ago

Me thinks you just want to be a pirate. Arrrrrg.

#38 10 years ago

Tony,
Got 3 new games coming in next 4 weeks. You, Bodhi (only if he lets me play his BR!) and some of the usual suspects can come over for a weekend happy hour! Sarah's always welcome too!

#39 10 years ago

Great game. Rules aren't deep and scoring's not balanced, but the theme is boss (who doesn't love pirates? Crazypeople, that's who.) The lighting effects are great, shots are fun, good flow, and IMO the cabinet art is some of the absolute best out there. Lower production means parts can be a bit of a bitch to find, so if you find one make sure the whirlpool ramp & playfield plastics are in good shape.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

Not sure how much you want to pay, but this one is about 40 minutes from me in York, SC.
greenville.craigslist.org link

Want to deliver it to NY?

#41 10 years ago

You not crazy. Yea black rose isn't a easy machine and can be a pain for ball draining. Played one just last weekend and got the muti ball on the 1st game i think the playfield is steep and need's adjustment. the one thing i will never like about it is having the metal ramp right down the middle i just don't like my view obstructed.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from DuckBrian:

Tony,Got 3 new games coming in next 4 weeks. You, Bodhi (only if he lets me play his BR!) and some of the usual suspects can come over for a weekend happy hour! Sarah's always welcome too!

Nice! Sounds like a plan!

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Yeah I'd that was the case I would just buy one of the POTC Ralphwiggum was selling. Seemed like he was selling a different one every 2 months. He would get one in and slide it into his line-up saying. Yeah I like it, this one is staying for a while. And then it was gone.

I think the next party will all play like pirates. Eye patches for ALL!!!!!!!

Chris

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Hey life is short so be yourself!
Always be yourself!

But, If you can't be yourself, then be a Pirate.

#45 10 years ago

love black rose. i miss mine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 34.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 40.00
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-crazy-to-want-a-bally-black-rose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.