Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by NM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

Just wondering if anyone else plays with the diagnostic settings of their pinballs.
I am engrossed with my Star Trek next gen at the moment and was becoming increasingly concerned with the ease that the ball drained down the outlanes. I set the left kickback setting to extra easy (meaning i cannot lose a ball down the left outlane) and i am toying with the idea of putting extended outlane guides to help with the right drain.
I have also increased such things as extra ball percentage etc.
What i get now are games that last for 20 minutes plus and scores that i could not achieve before.
I have not altered my Twilight zone at all, all settings are factory, so i still get the odd game that can last for less than one minute.
My point is.......i now only want to play the next gen, but i know that i have cheated the system......does anyone else have a similar story, or maybe we don't want to admit to the occasional tinkering of the software......

#2 14 years ago

I like them as difficult as possible. It's the difference between successfully seducing the woman of your dreams or being able to purchase a super model type lady for the ultimate sex. I married my former.

(But still don't mind the occasional latter .. hehe)

#3 14 years ago

I'd go with factory settings but with 5 balls not 3,
and when you get real good bump it up ex-hard.
nothing worse then new pinballers showing up at your place
and kicking you off the 'heros' list in points on the backglass.
Your game room is your turf!
defend it by being the top dog practice every week or more,
and one last thing - watch out for women!
-They can play a mean game of pinball.

#4 14 years ago

Well i think you should config your pinball so you have the most fun when you play it !!

#5 14 years ago

Do what you like, its your game! i put my DE star wars on hard settings and it changes the game completely. Now I enjoy trying to blow up the deathstar instead of being handed it on a plate. I always change to five balls too.

#6 14 years ago

I'd be careful of setting games too easy. While you'll get to experience more of the game more often, those harder to reach modes will become common and somewhat pedestrian over time. With my Lord of the Rings it's a HUGE deal if I can make it to There and Back Again, and that's not even the game's final mode! If I set the game to 5 balls, easy multiball settings, and dumbed everything down, I'd probably make it to that mode nearly every game and it would lose its luster.

If a game is frustrating you real bad, maybe it's okay to ease things up a bit, but always make sure the game is still challenging you. You'll never get better unless you have to work at it.

#7 14 years ago

Ya totally agree. Watch how much easier you make your machine. If you are able to conquer shots and jackpots and get higher scores more easily, you will play it less and loose interest and it will become a dust collector. I just keep mine at medium to hard setting. Still get that same feeling when I hit the jackpots and the lights flash and the knocker goes off as I did the first day I played the machines. If you get frustrated cuz the ball sinks too much, maybe change the playfield tilt to make it a bit slower or something. EVERYONE must say the same thing with this scenario, (1 more ramp shot to hit the jackpot and its at max....your standing on the tips of your toes zoned right in, you hit the ball a little to one side of the ramp and it hits the post, jumps off the playfield and hits the glass and proceeds to drain right down the middle. AND it was the last ball) F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (my wife tells me to watch my language more than to turn the volume down on my machines) ;-P

#8 14 years ago

I agree with factory settings until the game gets easy, then make it harder. 5 balls all ways.

#9 14 years ago

By the way. I always wondered what's the factory setting for the outlane posts. Sould it be set to the middle? (if I change any setting, I always have the feel in the back of my head that it's wrong to play like that)

#10 14 years ago

Good point Balint, The only pin that i have, that was not set to the middle, was monster bash, the others were all middle (or at least they were!!!)

3 years later
#11 10 years ago

hard difficulty all the way.......

#12 10 years ago

Factory is best. Don't know about 5 ball tho, I have hardly ever played a pin in the wild that is set to 5 ball

#13 10 years ago

Thread is THREE years old. How do people even find these to bump?

#14 10 years ago

Lots of zombie threads recently for some reason.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Lol I didn't even realise

#16 10 years ago

they should delete these after a certain time......

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I believe the answer in most cases would be:

Pinside's search feature automatically defaults by relevance--not date.

So someone searches some topic, sees a thread that intrigues them, doesn't notice the sort criteria and then asks a question--voila: ancient history revisited.

Sure explains some of the three-year old FS ads.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 63.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
$ 9.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 85.00
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-cheating-myself and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.