(Topic ID: 72551)

Am I being stupid? Tron for tSPP. [Update] Kept Tron, bought tSPP.

By Jeekayjay

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by CDogster
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1404_stanTron.jpg
48741.jpg
8dbc16250ee98537def5e18ab1ac81ff.jpg
image-182.jpg
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

TSPP - the best game Stern ever made??
No, never, not a chance.
Sorry...just..plain... no way.
But..all are entitled to their opinion.

Aside from that....trading a Tron for a TSPP??...at least $1,250 should be coming with TSPP.
This deal's pretty lopsided...especially where you are paying ship costs too.

Patience.
JEG-

#52 10 years ago

Tspp is by far a better game. A lot of these tron fans are first time nib buyers and feel their game needs to live up to their expectations. You owned it, you know.
Go for tspp. It will never leave your collection. They don't make them like that anymore.

#53 10 years ago

Much agreed with most....putting game play aside, Tron commands more money....a grand, as mentioned, is pretty close.

#54 10 years ago

Tron feels very cheaply made plus it's boring as all hell. The Simpsons is a great game have fun with it.

#55 10 years ago

If you like to eat, get the tspp. Hit the bus shot, run upstairs, fix a baloney sandwich, take a couple bites, grab a drink, come back down, and you should be in time for the ball to be returned from the bus shot.

#56 10 years ago

I expected to love Tron. Fantastic theme, almost as fantastic as TSPP. I had it in my possession for a few months and was very disappointed. Very sterile, lifeless vibe, despite the cool music. I'm not sure why but I think it is the repetitive canned voice calls. Or maybe I don't prefer serious themes. Also, every game feels the EXACT same to me. So repetitive. It did have good flow, but you have flow covered with STTNG.

Simpsons is more clunky and very stop and go, but once you get things rolling and start stacking modes, the fun factor ramps up fast, and there are a million different gameplay experiences and ways to play TSPP. Much better theme integration with the custom speech. Obviously great humor. Also, ignore the naysayers, the mini playfield is brilliant!

Lose the Tron.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from MMuller:

Tron feels very cheaply made plus it's boring as all hell. The Simpsons is a great game have fun with it.

C'mon Man!
Neither game is boring as hell.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

C'mon Man!
Neither game is boring as hell.

It's a matter of oppion.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

You will be able to still play it at Steve's or Garets
I had the most fun with tSPP at Rons house

You are always welcome at my house bud. Loved your Tron and will be sad to see it go if you sell / trade it. You have your Tron decked out beautifully.

Such a tough choice for me.

#60 10 years ago

its all in the eye of the beholder, to me Tron is OK, but TSPP is ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER MADE stern or any other. It does take a while to fully understand the game rules and modes and once you get past that you can fully appreciate what a great game it is. I would never trade my TSPP for a Tron.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Agreed. There are few things you are given to control the outcome, flippers are most important, nudging second, then plunging.
Geremy - I assume with that philosophy you don't own ACDC, as that game would be almost unplayable without good nudging.

Played ACDC once. First ball was 130 millions - And I don't nudge either I just don't like it, and I have seen how people that nudge become when competition is added. Then the nudging becomes so much more, especially after a lost ball.

"Nah, it's alright, they can take a punch" - Maybe, but not my machine.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Played ACDC once. First ball was 130 millions - And I don't nudge either I just don't like it, and I have seen how people that nudge become when competition is added. Then the nudging becomes so much more, especially after a lost ball.
"Nah, it's alright, they can take a punch" - Maybe, but not my machine.

Nudging IS pinball. It's one of the most important parts of it...period...

They aren't musuem pieces (well some are), play the thing...

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Nudging IS pinball. It's one of the most important parts of it...period...
They aren't musuem pieces (well some are), play the thing...

I play just fine, I've beaten top 40 players in tournaments, without nudging.
And as far as I know, some of the higher ranked players don't actually nudge very much either (albeit very few).

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

And as far as I know, some of the higher ranked players don't actually nudge very much either (albeit very few).

bwhahha...really??

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

bwhahha...really??

Im quite sure that some of the casters at the IFPA mentioned something along those lines during the event, yes.

#66 10 years ago

This is just silly...do what you want...I don't care...

If you think NOT nudging is normal...so be it...

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

If you like to eat, get the tspp. Hit the bus shot, run upstairs, fix a baloney sandwich, take a couple bites, grab a drink, come back down, and you should be in time for the ball to be returned from the bus shot.

Or just hit both flipper buttons

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

bwhahha...really??

Let's just give up on this Tom..., us barbarians just don't get it.

#69 10 years ago

Hello TSPP, adios Tron.

I really wanted to love Tron after a friend picked up an LE. It is a beautiful machine with a nice score, but it became boring for me very quickly. In fairness, neither do I enjoy AC/DC which so many seem to love.

I like the humor found in TSPP and enjoy many of the shots. I also like the upper playfield.

Good Luck

#70 10 years ago

I wasn't super impressed with TSPP in the first week I had it, and didn't see what everyone was talking about. I enjoyed it, but thought, meh, it's not that great. Then I had my first +100M game, got the springfield myster spot, and the game started to blow my mind.

AI is probably the single best MB out there. The stacking can be crazy. Enjoy man, you now have one of the best of the best. If you want to hurt your head, go to IPBD and read the rules, but I would suggest not doing that until a few months in at least. I like to try to find out as much stuff as I can before confirming what I need to do that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

I want TSPP and I don't want Tron (to make it simple)
Totally sick of my Tron and I've played tSPP plenty and prefer it so I'm not really looking for a debate on which game is better.

what specifically concerns you? the financial part of the deal?

for me, pinball is only a hobby, not a business.

#72 10 years ago

Got TSPP for 2 years, and a Tron for 4 months.

I got rid of the TSPP because of the long ball times (same problem as LOTR, except TSPP is drainier, especially the outlanes), and sometimes I regret it. I still think it's one of the 3 best recent Stern (with LOTR and SM). Never got close to the real Wizard mode, but the other "special" modes are really fun (Alien Invasion, Springfield Mystery Spot, Pretzel Multiball,...). It's a stacking frenzy too with everything. And one of the only Stern with humor! Be patient though, as at first it was so hard I was thinking of selling it because I wasn't able to do anything on it.

On the other hand, after achieving the firsts Portals, game became boring. I never managed to finish Portal, but it's really the only thing left. And I'm nowhere near any A-level player. After a while, it becomes tedious to do exactly the same shots over and over, get the same multiballs, etc... Nice playfield and everything, good music, but that's it, I don't miss it. Go TSPP!

#73 10 years ago

tspp isnt overrated, its just overpriced imho - but so are most pins. bottom line on tspp is its FUN. Tron can have a mean streak of SUCK, but when your on - its fun, but can also get robotic in gameplay... IDK fuck it all, own both.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I wasn't super impressed with TSPP in the first week I had it, and didn't see what everyone was talking about. I enjoyed it, but thought, meh, it's not that great. Then I had my first +100M game, got the springfield myster spot, and the game started to blow my mind.
AI is probably the single best MB out there. The stacking can be crazy. Enjoy man, you now have one of the best of the best. If you want to hurt your head, go to IPBD and read the rules, but I would suggest not doing that until a few months in at least. I like to try to find out as much stuff as I can before confirming what I need to do that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

I love TSPP, but there will be weeks where I don't play mine, just because I've seen a lot of the cool modes and know the time it takes to get to them for me. It's a great game to have in a decent sized collection because of all the modes it has. I love the look of Tron, but I haven't played it enough to really "get it", even though we play it in league. Would love to have a Discs of Tron game next to a Tron pin.

Look at all TSPP has to offer, 5 flippers, all the TV modes, all the multiball modes, mystery spot, etc. If you like the theme, it's almost a perfect home pin, but obviously it's not for everyone. Congrats on your trade.

#75 10 years ago

They're both great games - it really depends on what kind of gameplay you like. TSPP can have super long ball times, while Tron can be brutally short. Rules in TSPP are deeper than hell too. I've got both and feel they compliment each other very well that way. As far as prices go, I'd say Tron is worth a couple hundred more (assuming both games are stock).

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 10 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

what specifically concerns you? the financial part of the deal?
for me, pinball is only a hobby, not a business.

Not trying to "come out on top" I just don't want to make a stupid move. I have made mistakes which have cost me money and all I want is to shore that up.

The deal is gonna go through with some cheaper shipping and both parties will be satisfied in the end I think

Thanks to flashinstict I have a couple a great shipping options I was unaware of....props to him!

Thanks for all the input

#77 10 years ago

There is something to be said for the quick and dirty pins for sure (Tron, DW, NF, PB, AFM, BSD...). I hate for league things when people want to incorporate TSPP and LOTR. I'm torn really, as I feel the faster the game, the more random it is for true talent to emerge for the winner, where as in TSPP and LOTR, you really expect the better player to come out, but who wants to wait that long in competitive play to find out.

The only reason I ever play Tron at all is my one friend has 5 machines, and the other 4 I have, so Tron gets the initial nod to start, but every game feels the same. No question, fast, furious, looks great, sounds great, love the disk, arcade mod is cool, but just the same thing over and over (and a FH copy!!! - sorry, I tried, I thought I would make it out of this thread without cracking, but I just can't... )

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Tron pro is worth more than a tspp. But it's up to you. Games are worth what you will pay and feel they are worth.

I agree. Basically a straight up trade...no way. With shipping costs involved, even a bigger no way.

I think TSPP is a much deeper and challenging game and would keep me interested way longer than Tron in a home environment, but Tron is a much better theme for me.

#79 10 years ago

If you enjoy any sort of flow in your games you're going to immediately regret this decision.. I found TSPP a chore to play.

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Not trying to "come out on top" I just don't want to make a stupid move. I have made mistakes which have cost me money and all I want is to shore that up.
The deal is gonna go through with some cheaper shipping and both parties will be satisfied in the end I think
Thanks to flashinstict I have a couple a great shipping options I was unaware of....props to him!
Thanks for all the input

So let me sum this all up for you. Some people on Pinside love Tron (me included). Some people on Pinside love TSPP (not me). If you want to swap out of one for the other, awesome. But in my opinion, ignoring which one is the better game, the value of Tron is higher than the value of TSPP. A straight (or even really close) trade means you are just giving away that value to the other person. If it is within 100 bucks, or maybe even 200, that isn't the worst thing in the world as long as the other game is in really good shape and is a title you want. But in this case, you are getting ripped off. My advice is to sell your Tron and buy a nice TSPP. You will make out better in the end and you will get the game you would rather have.

Machine trades are a great thing. Sometimes both parties can end up the winner because you both get what you want. But when they are lopsided, they go bad. In this case it is even worse because if there is shipping involved, you have not played the actual machine you are getting in its current condition. That is a huge red flag in itself.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

If you enjoy any sort of flow in your games you're going to immediately regret this decision.. I found TSPP a chore to play.

Unless the rest of your games also have high flow. My collection is flow city, with several Ritchie and Borg games already. I considered getting a Tron, but that to me would be redundant. Which is one of the reasons I picked up TSPP. I don't find it a chore to play, I find it fun. Tron is one of the better games to be made in the last few years, but TSPP is still holding strong after 10 years. The build quality seems better, and the playfield is abounding with great toys. It compliments the rest of my collection perfectly.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Unless the rest of your games also have high flow. My collection is flow city, with several Ritchie and Borg games already. I considered getting a Tron, but that to me would be redundant. Which is one of the reasons I picked up TSPP. I don't find it a chore to play, I find it fun. Tron is one of the better games to be made in the last few years, but TSPP is still holding strong after 10 years. The build quality seems better, and the playfield is abounding with great toys. It compliments the rest of my collection perfectly.

Agreed. I am a flow fanatic and gravitate to those kind of pins in general, but it is nice to have a change of pace. TSPP is the best change of pace out there.

#84 10 years ago

I agree with Nemesis, sell all your gold jewelry and buy a TSPP. Keep both games! Who needs gold jewelry?

3 weeks later
#85 10 years ago

I've played a lot of both titles on location(s). Tron -- Meh. S'okay, but it's a TSPP i'm picking up this weekend!!! My holy grail. Can't wait!

#86 10 years ago

But yeah... as far as market prices go... it seems Tron is worth about 1k more than TSPP.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

Mate, money is money you will get it back some other way. Enjoy tspp...

Quoted for truth.Jeez If I had all the money I've lost on buying/selling boats the last 20 years I'd probably own 3 BBB's.Yes enjoy TSPP

#88 10 years ago

If you like the theme of the Simpsons, no way you will be disappointed with TSPP. As for me, I'd never trade my TSPP for tron or any pin for that matter, except maybe MM straight up...haha.

#89 10 years ago

I'd trade in a second. Go for the TSPP. awesome game

#90 10 years ago

I have owned both. They are both great games, but very different games. You get a lot more game for TSPP -- better/deeper rules, great integration of theme, more pinball (5 flippers, two playfield a, drop targets, standup targets, 2+ ramps, VUK, Itchy and Scratch hole, lots of lights, metal rails, metal apron, 5 ball multiball action, lots of modes, etc.), and a great theme if you like The Simpsons. Tron is fast, furious, and techno beautiful! If you are done with Tron, you are done. TSPP is a game that some people love, and some people move along in two weeks. In the end, it is money spent to have fun and only you can decide what will bring you that.

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

TSPP - the best game Stern ever made??
No, never, not a chance.-

mmm, not their best, but one of their two premier games, the other being LOTR.

Their best game imho is Spiderman.

I own both. TSPP is such a different game than Tron. Not that you can't have quick games with TSPP, but you're in for a ton more depth wise, and you're likely to find yourself playing TSPP for half an hour per game, like LOTR if you get in the zone. Tron usually has faster ball times. You have to be in the mood for TSPP-recently I have been though, because it's too fun.

#92 10 years ago

I think you made the right decision.

I had to add my opinion to this thread. I do not agree that Tron LE is worth more than $500 more and I expect that value to decline as more and more recognize what a lifetime classic TSPP is to own and play.

#93 10 years ago

TSPP > Tron

in playability
in popularity of theme
in ruleset
in future market value

10 years from now everybody will still know who the Simpsons are. Nobody will remember that horrible Tron sequel.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Thanks for all the input

Hey Sup3rdaddy, please update this thread and tell us if the deal went through. If it did, do you like the TSPP or, do you miss your Tron?

#95 10 years ago

Simpsons in the far better game, but your numbers are a bit off. HUO TSPP is $4200 and Tron HUO is $4800, both at the very top end. Anyways, work the numbers to even it out and get the Simpson's instead.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#96 10 years ago

I did not make a trade. I started enjoying Tron much more after getting the hang of the Gem shot. Just ordered Eli's kit too.

Instead I bought a beautiful tSPP from a friend and fellow pinsider.

Couldn't be happier.

Can't comment on which I prefer yet as I just brought it home last night. I can say though that the gameplay is so different between the two that they won't step on each others toes (variety -wise)

There's so much going on on tSPPs playfield I can tell I will be discovering new things for a while

image-182.jpgimage-182.jpg

#97 10 years ago

Glad to see and hear that it made it safe and sound. It was tough to sell it, but I am glad that it went to a great home. Sup3rdaddy is an awesome buyer and great guy. At least its only across town if I ever get the urge to play it again.

#98 10 years ago

That's a win-win. I must admit that a Tron LE would be a nice companion for my TSPP. Maybe someday.

#99 10 years ago

It's a fair deal if they pay for the shipping. I love my TSPP I think it's more fun than Tron because it's whimsical.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

It's a fair deal if they pay for the shipping. I love my TSPP I think it's more fun than Tron because it's whimsical.

All other things being equal, a humorous themed pin will always appeal to me over a serious themed one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-being-stupid-tron-for-tspp/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.