(Topic ID: 309766)

Am I being a total Karen in this parenting situation? Poll included.

By Yoko2una

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 219 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by yzfguy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Am I being a total Karen in this parenting situation? Poll included.”

• Yes. The parody is innocent enough. All the words were changed. Try to laugh one in a while in life. 107 votes
      55%
    • No. You're the one with your head screwed on right. You should absolutely voice your displeasure to the teacher. 88 votes
      45%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C97D32D1-415B-47C9-BDE3-E19B6A7ACF91.gif
    591E180C-B67E-4CE2-B209-8D02FEDA8B17 (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    20220206_192508 (resized).jpg
    points (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rdjeyeroll.gif
    Old man (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Your opinion that a parent is not qualified to question your children's educators unless it is egregious(I assume there is nothing short of slave auctions that you consider egregious) is not one that I agree with.

Fair enough, we can disagree. I don't believe in this idea that everyone has to agree on everything to get along, be social, even be friends. This idea that's become pervasive in this country that we all must agree on everything to get along on anything is simply, wrong.

Jeff

#152 2 years ago
    Quoted from thekiyote:

My millage varies a lot, in both my personal and work experience.
    Working in a library, I've seen the whole gambit. I've met the anti-social homeschooled kids, usually who were homeschooled because of parental anxiety, which can come in a lot of flavors. At the very least, they're weird.
    But there IS a lot of dead weight in the public school system, especially if you live in, or around, a big city with a ton of resources but not so great schools. These you saw in meetups of homeschooling families, usually with a stay-at-home parent who was an ex-teacher. They would split the costs to hire experts and tutors a couple days a week, study together, socialize a lot and involve their kids in a lot of extracurricular activities.
    It was like having an individualized education plan from a top ranking private school for a fraction of the cost. And for a lot of people, that's considered to be a whole lot better option than the very low performing public neighborhood schools, especially if you can't afford the private ones.
    I have had a few friends who were raised down this route. As adults, I would have never known until they told me.

This is a great post with a number of valid points. Just wanted to say that.

Jeff

#153 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Fair enough, we can disagree. I don't believe in this idea that everyone has to agree on everything to get along, be social, even be friends. This idea that's become pervasive in this country that we all must agree on everything to get along on anything is simply, wrong.
    Jeff

This I agree with 100%!

#154 2 years ago
    Quoted from thekiyote:

My millage varies a lot, in both my personal and work experience.
    Working in a library, I've seen the whole gambit. I've met the anti-social homeschooled kids, usually who were homeschooled because of parental anxiety, which can come in a lot of flavors. At the very least, they're weird.
    But there IS a lot of dead weight in the public school system, especially if you live in, or around, a big city with a ton of resources but not so great schools. These you saw in meetups of homeschooling families, usually with a stay-at-home parent who was an ex-teacher. They would split the costs to hire experts and tutors a couple days a week, study together, socialize a lot and involve their kids in a lot of extracurricular activities.
    It was like having an individualized education plan from a top ranking private school for a fraction of the cost. And for a lot of people, that's considered to be a whole lot better option than the very low performing public neighborhood schools, especially if you can't afford the private ones.
    I have had a few friends who were raised down this route. As adults, I would have never known until they told me.

I’m broad-stroking with my particular shade of paint, for sure. I grew up on a street with an inordinate number of home schooled kids. One was a family that had roughly a gross of children and were straight up a cult. The others were children of parents that were damned near shut-ins. All those kids were shot out of the womb into nuttiness. But we have a few friends that home school. I really think a lot of one of the families’ program, which actually exposes their kids to other home school kids, and offer extracurricular activities and somewhat normal looking social exposure. Their kids are giant dorks, but functional. The others? Eh. Those kids are living in the woods alone types.

#155 2 years ago

A dad of a girl in my class in 1986 raised hell to the school and the teacher because they played the movie “Romeo and Juliet” and the teacher had to cover the boob scene with a cardboard box. The dad was livid.

A bunch of us kids got wind of it so we ding dong ditched him several times over the next years. Once with flaming dog poop and another one where we all peed in a seven-Eleven big gulp and tilted it on the door. “Honey, get the mop” we heard from across the street in the corn field. Be careful what you wish for.

#156 2 years ago

In this scenario the teacher is doing their best to engage with children on their level thru content that is relevant to that age group. We have to acknowledge that teens right now are all wrapped up in youtube and tiktok personalities and meme culture. That in mind, this content seems well thought out and in line with audience. Even the original song is light content compared to most young teen tv plot lines these days. IMHO, instead of sheltering it is best to be setting an example of a reasonable and reliable moral compass as a framework for children to form their own for navigating this world. However, one of the keys to doing that successfully is to stay on top of the modern component and not overeating based on own dated ideas of what is acceptable. Societal norms are drastically different for each generation. Kids today are exposed to more adult topics and culture earlier than any generation before and parents are never going to be able to plug the firehose of information they are blasted with. The best chance we have is to dive in with them and try and keep up. That way we can help them understand what they are seeing, hearing, and experiencing while being accepting and providing context. Overreacting and sheltering will just leave us with a child that doesn’t trust us enough to ask for guidance. Try and keep in mind that what we find appropriate really doesn't matter as they will be exposed to everything wether we like it or not. When issues like this pop up with a young teen its better to tell them why we feel that way and let them form their own opinions as they are going too anyway but if they respect our opinion and trust us then have more influence on their development.

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

lean right politically dominate environment here on pinside

That's the hardest lean I've ever seen.....it's practically parallel to the floor.

#158 2 years ago
    Quoted from holminone:

A dad of a girl in my class in 1986 raised hell to the school and the teacher because they played the movie “Romeo and Juliet” and the teacher had to cover the boob scene with a cardboard box. The dad was livid.

This. This right here. Do some parents really actually think that by 7th grade their kid haven’t seen a boob? What kind of chastity belt Puritanism is so gullible as to think that shielding a child from an exposed breast on a tv, between Active Shooter drills, is the dragon that needs to be slain in school?

In fact, the real atrocity here is that they show that boring POS 1969 version of R&J to this day, instead of the vastly superior and more socially relevant Baz Luhrmann joint. Tapping into relevancy and adapting are key to educating.

#159 2 years ago

So, while I might not agree with the process being used, one thing to bring up is that it is well known that putting words to melody(song) can help you remember things. It's an actual learning tool. Did you listen to them yourself and see if they had actual valid information? Maybe you're overreacting.

PS: Weird Al also did songs over songs with questionable lyrics.

#160 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

This. This right here. Do some parents really actually think that by 7th grade their kid haven’t seen a boob? What kind of chastity belt Puritanism is so gullible as to think that shielding a child from an exposed breast on a tv, between Active Shooter drills, is the dragon that needs to be slain in school?

Well many do wish it was the 1950's again.

#161 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Yikes... You are in a lean right politically dominate environment here on pinside and you're championing a 50-50 result as some sort of validation? In MY opinion (and it's just that, an opinion), you are not qualified to question your children's educators and unless it's something egregiously obvious like holding slave auctions (google it). You should stay in your lane. I get that being qualified these days seems to no longer matter but it still does.
    Jeff

Pinside leans right? News to me. I think it’s a good cross section of America and the world, with the two areas I’m most involved with (the Northeast US, and Illinois where all our games come from) are mostly blue areas. Do you have any data that suggests Pinside is a right-leaning site or are you just assuming because “pinball is expensive” or “pinball is mostly for a certain demo” and drawing a conclusion from that?

But I guess we can also discredit any poll with a large amount of participation because although the question was apolitical in nature, we can Kevin Bacon everything in the world back to politics. Since no website can be perfectly split even, all polls are invalid because of inherit bias in the sample audience.

#162 2 years ago

Pinside definitely leans Left. Also, If you are not a parent you are not qualified to be posting in this thread.

#163 2 years ago

Pinside leans right. Moreso the older it gets. I’ve participated in these discussions for a decade now. The discords we have for stocks and general asshattery are HARD right. Disposable-income wielding, 6 and 7 figure earning, houses with room for a dozen pinball machines owning white dudes. It’s right of middle, for sure.

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Pinside leans right? News to me. I think it’s a good cross section of America and the world, with the two areas I’m most involved with (the Northeast US, and Illinois where all our games come from) are mostly blue areas. Do you have any data that suggests Pinside is a right-leaning site or are you just assuming because “pinball is expensive” or “pinball is mostly for a certain demo” and drawing a conclusion from that?
    But I guess we can also discredit any poll with a large amount of participation because although the question was apolitical in nature, we can Kevin Bacon everything in the world back to politics. Since no website can be perfectly split even, all polls are invalid because of inherit bias in the sample audience.

No... My conclusion is drawn by the number of threads I've read here over the years on a great number of topics where the right leaning opinions dominated the conversation time and time again. You really can't be serious to think Pinside is somehow a "good cross section of America and the world", it's a pinball forum... I will say there are a number of different viewpoints available here and I think this thread calls that out nicely.

Also, if it were about money this would be left leaning exclusively as we're the ones with all the cash anyhow... LOL HAHAHA... Joking of course so I hope no one takes that seriously.

Jeff

#165 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Well many do wish it was the 1950's again.

More specifically they wish it was a fairy tale version of the 1950's that never really existed to begin with. Leave it to Beaver was in fact, not a documentary...

Jeff

#166 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Pinside definitely leans Left.

591E180C-B67E-4CE2-B209-8D02FEDA8B17 (resized).jpeg591E180C-B67E-4CE2-B209-8D02FEDA8B17 (resized).jpeg
    #167 2 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

Amen! The parent(s) absolutely should be the controller, of what their children receive, in school or out. If they don't they are not worthy of being parents IMHO.

If you think that schools should do exactly as YOU please, then yes, homeschooling is probably the best for you. You do realize that teachers have to follow a curriculum that has been approved by a school board and in many states, the state itself, right?

#168 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Good god no... It's why we have so many of the issues we have now. Being a parent requires no education, no training, no skills, no qualifications, just a functioning reproductive system. That hardly makes you qualified to make decisions where actual trained, educated, and qualified professionals exist.
    Jeff

Ah, so your point all along was that I just have a reproductive system and thus no valid reason for complaint. I mean you said I wasn’t qualified to question the teachers. Your words, not mine.

I mean, I am a degreed mechanical engineer, am a few weeks away from completing an MBA with over a 3.98 GPA with a concentration in Project Management, will have my PMP cert after that, report directly to an executive in a global company, and have been employed everyday since I was eligible to work at 15… except for the high school years where I volunteered at an animal shelter instead. During the pandemic I took custody of my son as a single father which was no small feat. He’s now bringing home straight A’s, and somehow in all that craziness, I’m up for another promotion. I mean we didn’t get to touch on those bases today, but I’m glad to know I’m unqualified to have a valid opinion on education because I’m reduced to having a reproduction system and assumed to have no other qualifications to question something assigned by a teacher to my child.

Quoted from jeffro01:

The more you post the more it's clear what kind of a parent we're dealing with here. Are you a professional educator? Did you attend college to gain the required knowledge and skills to be a professional educator? If the answer is no then perhaps you shouldn't stick your nose into things you aren't qualified to stick your nose into...??? You can masquerade as a "parent who cares" as much as you want but you're not fooling anyone. As someone who has family that work in education, pretty much anything they assign these days is being met with crap like this and it's nauseating. Let the teachers teach, the kids learn, and stay the hell out of it.
    Jeff

#169 2 years ago

It's amazing to me that people think this place leans left. I'm Canadian left its way more left than the US version. The shit I see on here, is so far crazy right I can't even comprehend it. I had no idea what that picture of children's books even meant and it is a level of racism I don't think I have ever actual witnessed in real time. That picture is still up and unmoderated, leans left come on LOL

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Safe from what? Define safe? You can't because it's not something that actually exists. It's a made up construct to help people sleep better at night. The reality is the world is a dangerous and confusing place and attempting to shelter your children from that reality almost always backfires spectacularly.
    Jeff

Ok

#171 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Ah, so your point all along was that I just have a reproductive system and thus no valid reason for complaint. I mean you said I wasn’t qualified to question the teachers. Your words, not mine.
    I mean, I am a degreed mechanical engineer, am a few weeks away from completing an MBA with over a 3.98 GPA with a concentration in Project Management, will have my PMP cert after that, report directly to an executive in a global company, and have been employed everyday since I was eligible to work at 15… except for the high school years where I volunteered at an animal shelter instead. During the pandemic I took custody of my son as a single father which was no small feat. He’s now bringing home straight A’s, and somehow in all that craziness, I’m up for another promotion. I mean we didn’t get to touch on those bases today, but I’m glad to know I’m unqualified to have a valid opinion on education because I’m reduced to having a reproduction system and assumed to have no other qualifications to question something assigned by a teacher to my child.

You're not and you once again, proved my point. What does being a mechanical engineer have to do with anything in this discussion? Are you looking for a sense of intellectual superiority? Providing a child a stable and loving home with food on the table and a comfortable bed will do wonders and also has nothing to do with your qualifications to question your children's teacher(s). You continue to provide all of these straw man reasons why you think your entitled to provide this feedback but the fact remains, you're not qualified. Hell I'm not qualified, it's why I stay out of it. I engage my children as to what they're learning in school, I go to parent teacher conferences, I engage with my children's teachers when appropriate but I will NEVER tell them how to do their job or provide them "feedback" on how to do it either (again unless of course they do something bat shit crazy). There's a difference between being engaged in your children's education versus being a Karen to their educators...

Jeff

#172 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

It's amazing to me that people think this place leans left. I'm Canadian left its way more left than the US version. The shit I see on here, is so far crazy right I can't even comprehend it. I had no idea what that picture of children's books even meant and it is a level of racism I don't think I have ever actual witnessed in real time. That picture is still up and unmoderated, leans left come on LOL

Honest question, do one pic of books or an opinion of the books needs to be moderated, or do you simply reply, disagree, make a strong point and move on with your life? If you’re the morally correct point, you’re going to win that battle.

Also, I feel like if this site is crazy right, it would’ve been shut down by now. There’s been some basement threads about masks and vax’s and whatnot, but overall I firmly believe this is a site that allows open discussion, about a good 60% being actually about pinball.

I’m starting to wonder if this perceived “right bias” is because like 3-4 frequent posters get whiskey drunk all the time and go all MAGA on us. Because the inner circles I witness in this hobby I think lean left, are accepting of all, but some want to shut out the right, but others just say STFU and plunge the damn ball.

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Quoted from gambit3113:

Pinside leans right.

The juxtaposition of these two comments posted almost simultaneously is pretty funny.

In any case, please, please, please can we avoid politics and get back to the main topic about the student assignment, the concerns of a parent, and possibly contacting the teacher? We're not going to solve the world's problems here today. Thanks

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Honest question, do one pic of books or an opinion of the books needs to be moderated, or do you simply reply, disagree, make a strong point and move on with your life? If you’re the morally correct point, you’re going to win that battle.
    Also, I feel like if this site is crazy right, it would’ve been shut down by now. There’s been some basement threads about masks and vax’s and whatnot, but overall I firmly believe this is a site that allows open discussion, about a good 60% being actually about pinball.
    I’m starting to wonder if this perceived “right bias” is because like 3-4 frequent posters get whiskey drunk all the time and go all MAGA on us. Because the inner circles I witness in this hobby I think lean left, are accepting of all, but some want to shut out the right, but others just say STFU and plunge the damn ball.

Dude it's a picture with the context that the a women that is the Vice President should not be allowed in a childrens book for the colour of her skin and it is somehow indoctrinating children. Now that I understand the context it is probably one of the most racist things I have ever seen happen in real time. Racism is everywhere but to actually see it just dropped like that is amazing to me. Most internet forums I visit that would be an instant lifetime ban. Here its just a Wednesday afternoon.

#175 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

You're not and you once again, proved my point. What does being a mechanical engineer have to do with anything in this discussion? Are you looking for a sense of intellectual superiority? Providing a child a stable and loving home with food on the table and a comfortable bed will do wonders and also has nothing to do with your qualifications to question your child's teacher(s). You continue to provide all of these straw man reasons why you think your entitled to provide this feedback but the fact remains, you're not qualified. Hell I'm not qualified, it's why I stay out of it. I engage my children as to what they're learning in school, I go to parent teacher conferences, I engage with my children's teachers when appropriate but I will NEVER tell them how to do their job (again unless of course they do something bat shit crazy). There's a difference between being engaged in your children's education versus being a Karen to their educators...
    Jeff

Use “straw man” in a post again because you haven’t done it enough.

Fact is, I’m fully within my rights to disagree with a middle school teacher’s assignment, even if you think it may be out of “your” line. I have more than a reproductive system and (to your question) my BSME and MBA is proof I have more than just a dick. Again, just spitballing against your ridiculous claims that teachers are untouchable. Constructive criticism should be welcomed and applauded by all.

To think that being a “professional educator” means you have a certain degree that gives you both immunity and also carte blanche to shove whatever you want to the students without recourse over any parents is batshit crazy.

#176 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead_:

Wanted to start off my reply by saying I’m only 22, but, this is the type of stuff my parents did to me when I was in middle school and all it brought was resent and a better ability to hide what I was doing, I think sometimes we forget that times are changing, I mean WAP was a radio hit, and that’s waaaay worse than “crank that”, I also looked up the lyrics to it, and they seem relatively tame compared to anything on the top 100 at the moment.

Ive thought about this a lot as my girls are 8 and 11. I think the more you restrict something the more the kids must find a way to have it. I do limit screen time but were pretty liberal. Just try to teach them whats ok and not ok.

I get feeling the assignment was weird. Just calmly ask the teacher what their thought process was. Dont be one of those dudes that go to a school board meeting to preach about it. Thatll just single out your kid anyway and embarrass him…

#177 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Use “straw man” in a post again because you haven’t done it enough.
    Fact is, I’m fully within my rights to disagree with a middle school teacher’s assignment, even if you think it may be out of “your” line. I have more than a reproductive system and (to your question) my BSME and MBA is proof I have more than just a dick. Again, just spitballing against your ridiculous claims that teachers are untouchable. Constructive criticism should be welcomed and applauded by all.
    To think that being a “professional educator” means you have a certain degree that gives you both immunity and also carte blanche to shove whatever you want to the students without recourse over any parents is batshit crazy.

Well then stop using those types of arguments and I'll stop using the term... Now we've moved on the "my rights" portion of this broadcast. Again, equally pointless but I get that's not going to stop you from doing it so whatever.

I never said educators should have immunity or they are untouchable, once again you're making shit up because that's all you have left. Of course educators should be subjected to criticism, but from qualified sources. Which again, you are not but you clearly don't seem to understand that which is why you flipped to the "my rights" BS. More accountability is needed in education for sure but not from parents, ESPECIALLY not from parents. Again, as a person who has many family members in education (both active and retired) your initial post reads like most of the crap they get from parents these days and they do nothing but roll their eyes and move on. I guess the silver lining here is you aren't proactively emailing them about the "dangers of CRT"... So there's that... Although you did dive right into the ridiculous "my rights" position so perhaps that's the next email the teacher will get from you...

Jeff

#178 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The juxtaposition of these two comments posted almost simultaneously is pretty funny.
    In any case, please, please, please can we avoid politics and get back to the main topic about the student assignment, the concerns of a We're not going to solve the world's problems here today. Thanks

Quoted from Darscot:

Dude it's a picture with the context that the a women that is the Vice President should not be allowed in a childrens book for the colour of her skin and it is somehow indoctrinating children. Now that I understand the context it is probably one of the most racist things I have ever seen happen in real time. Racism is everywhere but to actually see it just dropped like that is amazing to me. Most internet forums I visit that would be an instant lifetime ban. Here its just a Wednesday afternoon.

Under that I believe (and I could be wrong) is a MLK book as well as a RBG book. So if the context is about the book on top shouldn’t be allowed to be a book, reply with some obvious reasons as to why it should. Again, the books under it I think many (maybe I’m wrong, hell Pinside is surprising me today) may say are totally warranted. So if someone says the 3rd book is crap, just say why it’s not crap. Just saying this pic or post should be deleted does you no good, and never provides the poster of that pic any ideas as to why they should reconsider their position.

Nah, F-it. Just delete everything you disagree with and let’s just split up the US already. See @forceflow, I just solved all the US problems

#179 2 years ago

I don't know the details of the assignment and I guess I am old school, but what happened to learning reading, writing and arithmetic at school?
    What exactly is a kid supposed to be learning by watching a you tube video?
    Aren't there books about social studies that can provided with the necessary study material?
    Perhaps it is something important, but I can't understand it by reading the information provided.

#180 2 years ago

“Crack that” bottom line does not belong in curriculum. Redone slightly or whatever, IMO. The rest is how you handle it. With the teacher the district and your own kin. Best of luck.

#181 2 years ago

I just played Godzilla for the first time last weekend. Fun game and I'll play it again soon.
    Oops! Sorry, I thought pinside was about pinball and was honoring the theme. My bad.

#182 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

“Crack that” bottom line does not belong in curriculum. Redone slightly or whatever, IMO. The rest is how you handle it. With the teacher the district and your own kin. Best of luck.

Deleted.

Jeff

#183 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Fact is, I’m fully within my rights to disagree with a middle school teacher’s assignment, even if you think it may be out of “your” line.

…and quintuple and sextuple down on defending your desire to raise a ruckus over a YouTube video. Oops! I said “sex.” Make sure your kid can’t see this.

Again, why does this even exist outside of arguing your point and now giving us all your CV?

#184 2 years ago

I’d rather hear let me ride by Dre but that also is not curriculum to me.

#185 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Under that I believe (and I could be wrong) is a MLK book as well as a RBG book. So if the context is about the book on top shouldn’t be allowed to be a book, reply with some obvious reasons as to why it should. Again, the books under it I think many (maybe I’m wrong, hell Pinside is surprising me today) may say are totally warranted. So if someone says the 3rd book is crap, just say why it’s not crap. Just saying this pic or post should be deleted does you no good, and never provides the poster of that pic any ideas as to why they should reconsider their position.
    Nah, F-it. Just delete everything you disagree with and let’s just split up the US already. See ForceFlow, I just solved all the US problems

It's not a disagreement its ignorant dangerous bullshit that is the plaque of society. Yeah that shit needs to be fucking deleted. If people promote rape would just be like hey don't talk like that around women they don't agree with you. I need to take a break from this place.

#186 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

Well then stop using those types of arguments and I'll stop using the term... Now we've moved on the "my rights" portion of this broadcast. Again, equally pointless but I get that's not going to stop you from doing it so whatever.
    I never said educators should have immunity or they are untouchable, once again you're making shit up because that's all you have left. Of course educators should be subjected to criticism, but from qualified sources. Which again, you are not but you clearly don't seem to understand that which is why you flipped to the "my rights" BS. More accountability is needed in education for sure but not from parents, ESPECIALLY not from parents. Again, as a person who has many family members in education (both active and retired) your initial post reads like most of the crap they get from parents these days and they do nothing but roll their eyes and move on. I guess the silver lining here is you aren't proactively emailing them about the "dangers of CRT"... So there's that... Although you did dive right into the ridiculous "my rights" position so perhaps that's the next email the teacher will get from you...
    Jeff

Omg, we get your name is Jeff too!

Keep digging yourself in the hole that educated and well-intended parents should shut up and allow their kids to consume whatever their teachers feed them. Also, way to cite your “retired” family members. My dad was hit with a ruler from some retired ass nuns. Times change, and parents should ABSOLUTELY have a voice in the kids’ curriculum… especially when it may not meet the standards of the household they try to uphold.

Funny how you try to shoe me into a CRT position though. Can I yell FAKE NEWS at you to use radical buzz terms too? But you can’t. You’re trying though. Credit where it’s due for trying… but failing… but really you just come off as a self-righteous person who thinks anyone who questions an educator is just a hick with a dick.

#187 2 years ago

Have your kid use a school issued chrome book or laptop. My kids did that during remote schooling last year. The school system has strict policy for usage of the equipment and they configure it before issuing them.

#188 2 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

No one assigned Crack That to anyone. It’s a song using the tune, about something educational. It’s not a “slight” revision. Making a mountain out of a molehill is what I believe you call it.

#189 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Omg, we get your name is Jeff too!
    Keep digging yourself in the hole that educated and well-intended parents should shut up and allow their kids to consume whatever their teachers feed them. Also, way to site your “retired” family members. My dad was hit with a ruler from some retired ass nuns. Times change, and parents should ABSOLUTELY have a voice in the kids’ curriculum… especially when it may not meet the standards of the household they try to uphold.
    Funny how you try to shoe me into a CRT position though. Can I yell FAKE NEWS at you to use radical buzz terms too? But you can’t. You’re trying though. Credit where it’s due for trying… but failing… but really you just come off as a self-righteous person who thinks anyone who questions an educator is just a hick with a dick.

Now we're to the phase where you want to take a shot at how I post now too? JFC... (hehe said that again)

I'm not the one digging but hey, you do you. You can't even grasp basic reading comprehension but you feel qualified to be a Karen to your child's teacher. Go figure.

Jeff

#190 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

No one assigned Crack That to anyone. It’s a song using the tune, about something educational. It’s not a “slight” revision. Making a mountain out of a molehill is what I believe you call it.

This “mountain” you refer to was initially about whether I should engage the teacher in a constructive, tactful conversation over something you consider a “molehill”. And that’s fine you consider those as those two extremes. I beg to differ in my opinion. My main issue (along with 2 other issues… real selective responses here) was the credit at the beginning of the video. The kids like the song, now they know where to get the real version. Ill fall on that sword that the real version isn’t something that should be in any way even tangentially related to a school assignment. That’s all.

#191 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

The kids like the song, now they know where to get the real version.

ROFLMAO... Man you're naive... I'll bet you most of the kids already knew the real version before they heard the parody.

Jeff

#192 2 years ago

Some Karens are good. Reminds me of 4th grade.

#193 2 years ago

80% Karen.
    No personal attacks from me, I am guilty of making video edits to R-rated movies to make a "family cut" so I can watch them with my now 13 year old son. I did leave one quick shot of Lilu Dallas' boobies in the edit I made of The Fifth Element, just to see if my son was paying attention. Spoiler, he loved the movie and the blurry boobies. Everyone is doing the best they can.

#194 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

This “mountain” you refer to was initially about whether I should engage the teacher in a constructive, tactful conversation over something you consider a “molehill”. And that’s fine you consider those as those two extremes. I beg to differ in my opinion. My main issue (along with 2 other issues… real selective responses here) was the credit at the beginning of the video. The kids like the song, now they know where to get the real version. Ill fall on that sword that the real version isn’t something that should be in any way even tangentially related to a school assignment. That’s all.

So you are concrete on this. Regardless of how educational, how effective, and how much your kid and classmates might have learned from it, because it is tangentially related to a song you find offensive, it is purely taboo. Cool. I disagree and think it’s a shortsighted, outdated, and needlessly puritanical view. But it’s not my pig and not my farm. But you titled the thread as a question, put up a poll to sample the issue, and invited this community to come weigh in on you question and reasoning.

But it’s not actually a question. It’s a hill that you are determined to die upon.

#195 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

It's not a disagreement its ignorant dangerous bullshit that is the plaque of society. Yeah that shit needs to be fucking deleted. If people promote rape would just be like hey don't talk like that around women they don't agree with you. I need to take a break from this place.

I’m so glad this is in the basement. We have like 30 min before the lock.

There are rules to this site. I’m not going to disagree that abject hatred shouldn’t be tolerated. It violates Rule #1, and not from Fight Club. And who wants that at a fundamental level? But if the post is rooted in just a differing POV, engage in conversation. There may be cultural differences between countries as well which I believe you cited.

To some, KH absolutely should have a book because of her background and groundbreaking position in US history. Others may cite approval numbers and perceived lack of action. This is just what I see from both sides. Fuck, now I sound like Kaneda here just facilitating while not saying anything of substance.

Either way, you disliked a post on a private website. Report it and explain your reasoning. If it violates, it’s gone. If not, engage and try to sway someone to your position.

#196 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Quoted from gambit3113:

Pinside leans right.

Also known as Peyronie's disease.

#197 2 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

So you are concrete on this. Regardless of how educational, how effective, and how much your kid and classmates might have learned from it, because it is tangentially related to a song you find offensive, it is purely taboo. Cool. I disagree and think it’s a shortsighted, outdated, and needlessly puritanical view. But it’s not my pig and not my farm. But you titled the thread as a question, put up a poll to sample the issue, and invited this community to come weigh in on you question and reasoning.
    But it’s not actually a question. It’s a hill that you are determined to die upon.

Hey, everything but the last paragraph I agree with. I think I have been receptive to opposing views on this while questioning my own stance. We (respectfully?) disagree and I’m ok with that. In fact, a PM from someone who didn’t want to get caught in all this TOTAL BS unraveling was the reason I didn’t send the email draft and am not going to. So there’s that. If I witness it again, who knows, but cooler heads talked me off a ledge, so there’s that.

#198 2 years ago
    Quoted from SirMachismo:

80% Karen.
    No personal attacks from me, I am guilty of making video edits to R-rated movies to the "family cut" so I can watch them with my now 13 year old son. I did leave one quick shot of Lilu Dallas' boobies in the edit just to see if my son was paying attention during the Fifth Element. Spoiler, he loved the movie and the blurry boobies. Everyone is doing the best they can.

This I agree with. In fact, just last night my 5th grade son asked if he could watch Deadpool. I said I just couldn’t take it there yet, because that movie goes just too hard. By 12 or 13? Yeah, sure. So he watched Once Upon a Deadpool instead - the PG-13 version of Deadpool 2. He had watched it before, in fact. That said, I am not advocating for limitless access to anything for children. I set limits. I just am conscious of the naivety line.

#199 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

ROFLMAO... Man you're naive... I'll bet you most of the kids already knew the real version before they heard the parody.
    Jeff

You think a bunch kids born circa 2008 know a one hit wonder song from 2007, and I’m naive?

#200 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

To some, KH absolutely should have a book because of her background and groundbreaking position in US history. Others may cite approval numbers and perceived lack of action. This is just what I see from both sides. Fuck, now I sound like Kaneda here just facilitating while not saying anything of substance.

Politics are so polarized that the sin seems to be having a book about any modern politician, much less the current Vice-President of the the U.S. There should absolutely be books to read about her in a school library. There should be books available on former President Trump as well. Undoubtedly, there would be people up in arms about that too. To acknowledge is not to endorse.

There are 219 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-being-a-total-karen-in-this-parenting-situation-poll-included/page/4?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.