(Topic ID: 32162)

Am I alone in my dislike of real pictures on pins? Preferences?

By DrewAVL

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by scarybeard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

witch.jpg
    WIR.jpg
    old_man.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MtnFrost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 11 years ago

Absolutely agreed. A bunch of photoshopped images is not art. It's called being lazy, or cheap. I feel this way about movie posters as well. Imagine what Amsel's "Raiders of the Lost Ark" iconic poster would have been without his skilled treatment of Indy and his cast of characters. The best, "new" artwork I've seen on a pin lately was "Woah Nellie! Big Juicy Mellons".

As an aside, I also think the backglass artwork needs to be on GLASS. Translites are hideously ugly.

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

As one of those "not actually hand drawing" "WACOM style tablets/digital pens" digital artists you're talking about, I need to clarify that we utilize the same techniques, arm movements, blood, sweat and tears someone working on a canvas with a brush utilizes.

I'm also one of those who makes his living working in digital art all day. So I'm quite familiar with the whole CS package as well as quite a few 3D and compositing programs as well. But when I say "photoshopped", perhaps I need to be more clear. Cut and pasting photos into a layout is not real art, whether you use photoshop, painter, or any other program. Adjusting the levels of the photo also is not art. That's really at the heart of it. There's no art happening. And it shows. Granted the printing process doesn't help the final product, but it still comes back to cut and pasting of real images into a montage of line art. That's what I mean.

I used to hate using digital art programs for anything, but they do have their place, especially in advertising and illustration, and you can create some beautiful images if you avoid using it as a crutch.

#56 11 years ago

We'd have to split on that one then. But I'm one who thinks abstract art is garbage. If a three year old can do it by dribbling paint on a canvas, there's no skill involved. Call me a literalist. I've seen so much crap digital art, whether it's painting over a render of a 3D model (the most common crutch), or taking photos and playing with the contrast, etc.. But I think you'd agree that for pinball art, you shouldn't be trying to do that sort of thing anyway.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

I work for a firm that has a partnership with a company that has a partnership with Disney, and we're created content featuring Wreck-it Ralph, among other licenses.

That's funny, because I was part of the team that created Wreck-it Ralph at Disney. Small world.

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Since you work at Disney, can you get me a lead on the Fix It Felix Jr arcade machine, then? Talk about art, that cabinet is 'retro' done so right!!!!
    Ebay link

Yeah, they had three Ralph arcade games up in our lounge area during the making of the film. The controller always seemed to be very un-sensitive to moves. Or it was my playing skill. It was my impression they made a couple for promotional use. They set up an arcade in-house as well during the time, but sadly, no pins.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Well, thanks to you both. Saw Wreck-It Ralph and absolutely loved it!
    Later,
    EV

On behalf of all of us who were on 70-80 hour weeks for four months at the end of it, you're welcome. You can find me in the credits.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MtnFrost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/am-i-alone-in-my-dislike-of-real-pictures-on-pins-preferences?tu=MtnFrost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.