2015-08-12_20.14.04.jpg
2015-08-12_20.13.45.jpg
2015-08-12_20.13.30.jpg
2015-08-12_20.13.22.jpg
2015-08-12_14.49.42.jpg
2015-08-12_17.31.29.jpg
2015-08-12_18.46.20.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I was recently getting a cut at the barbers talking with the guys and I brought up pinball. After responding to 4 or 5 of the usual questions a woman waiting for her son to finish asked me if I was interested in buying another pin. Her father was selling his home on the north shore of the island and he had a pin, a mame arcade and a slot machine he didn't want to take with him. She couldn't remember anything about the pin but I gave her my # and we planned to meet the next afternoon.
She texted me his address and he was 20 mins directly above my location on the island so I told her I was curious and would meet her there. Her parents both welcomed me into their magnificent home and we went downstairs. There in the corner of the basement was a beautiful Wheel of Fortune looking like they just unboxed it! I recently played this title at Allentown and thought it was one of the best highlights of the show for me. I had just decided this was the next target pin a few weeks beforehand. I tried to calmly as possible ask some questions without smiling from ear to ear. He told me he bought it straight from Stern in the beginning of 2008 for his grandchildren and they hardly played it. I turned her on and the display read FREE PLAY with no credit dot! I opened up the coin door and she smelled like a new car. Everything there including the goodie bag! We agreed on a price and I arranged to return with my son later that afternoon. We went back to pick her up and while were wrapping her up my son points out a built in dehumidifier hanging out on the wall right next to the machine, nice! We got her home without a scratch. Just wanted to share with everyone to always fit pinball into the conversation!
2015-08-12 14.49.42.jpg2015-08-12 14.49.42.jpg
2015-08-12 17.31.29.jpg2015-08-12 17.31.29.jpg2015-08-12 18.46.20.jpg2015-08-12 18.46.20.jpg2015-08-12 20.13.22.jpg2015-08-12 20.13.22.jpg2015-08-12 20.13.30.jpg2015-08-12 20.13.30.jpg2015-08-12 20.13.45.jpg2015-08-12 20.13.45.jpg2015-08-12 20.14.04.jpg2015-08-12 20.14.04.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Wow, that's friggin' amazing!

#3 8 years ago

Great find. Now we all have to find a way to buy direct from Stern like the seller claims he did.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Now we all have to find a way to buy direct from Stern like the seller claims he did.

Lol yeah the guy was over 80, I wasn't going to argue with him

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

. I turned her on and the display read FREE PLAY with no credit dot!

I imagine if you saw a credit dot on that game something would be reeeally wrong with it

(Stern's do not use the "credit dot" to indicate problems. That's a Williams thing)

#6 8 years ago

This is actually the reason I'm getting a free POTC. Just casual conversation. You mention pinball, and they say "Hey! We have a machine! We haven't played it in forever. Wanna take a look?"

Um...yeah. Yeah, I do.

#7 8 years ago

Great story. I'm always guilty of bringing pinball into every conversation.

#8 8 years ago

EAT, BREATH,LIVE,pinball

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Mamushka:

I imagine if you saw a credit dot on that game something would be reeeally wrong with it
(Stern's do not use the "credit dot" to indicate problems. That's a Williams thing)

Made me LMAO

#10 8 years ago

U guys in the U.S. don't realize how lucky you are. Seems like every second person owns or knows someone who owns a pin. If u bring it into conversation here, the closest u get is "I remember playing the pinnies when I was growing up. Do they still make those?".

Great find!

#11 8 years ago

I try to bring up pinball whenever I meet someone new.you never know....
Congrats on new game

#12 8 years ago

What a story. Whenever I get an opportunity to say anything pinball related in a conversation it becomes a short conversation.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from insaneinthedrain:

I try to bring up pinball whenever I meet someone new.you never know....
Congrats on new game

Same here but I haven't run into anyone who wants to sell one. Great score OP.

#14 8 years ago

Great story, love threads like this. So, I'll ask......how much did you get if for?

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

What a story. Whenever I get an opportunity to say anything pinball related in a conversation it becomes a short conversation.

"What an odd hobby to be into"....that's the last one I got.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Mamushka:

Hi guys was away in PA today, just got back and learned that Stern doesn't use a credit dot! Hope I provided you all with a good laugh. It could have had 10 issues and I would have picked it up anyway on condition alone. The only issue we ran across was the owner couldn't find the key to the head. Luckily there wasn't a bolt in the head so we were able to fold her down. I still have to drill out the lock to check the batteries.

#17 8 years ago

great find!

Let me know when you want to ship it out to me

#18 8 years ago

Too bad he didn't just leave the key to the head hanging from the inside of the coin door. I hate when those get moved!

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

This is actually the reason I'm getting a free POTC. Just casual conversation. You mention pinball, and they say "Hey! We have a machine! We haven't played it in forever. Wanna take a look?"

Wow Beelzeboob! That trumps my story. Free has to be the best feeling ever!

Quoted from Jetzxi:

Too bad he didn't just leave the key to the head hanging from the inside of the coin door. I hate when those get moved!

That would have been great! We tried over 10 keys to open the coin door but none of the keys he had opened the head. I spent a good 15 minutes looking in the cabinet under the playfield and didn't run across the head key.

#20 8 years ago

I don't believe you have to drill...get a set of security bits at home depot and just unscrew the 4 screws holding the rectangular plate in around the lock. Now you can open the head and easily replace that lock.

#21 8 years ago

Replace it with a 5/8 th cam lock. Don't use a 7/8 th with the 1/4 inch setback. I've had problems with them when trying to remove them.

#22 8 years ago

I always bring pinball into conversations. Just last night I did it and it has led me to getting one of my wish list pins. Not sure on the price/condition yet, but pretty sure I'm gonna get it for next to nothing.

#23 8 years ago

Word of mouth pays off. That's how I got my free fish tales.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just last night I did it and it has led me to getting one of my wish list pins.

Congrats Chuck! Hope its next to nothing.

Quoted from yzfguy:

I don't believe you have to drill...get a set of security bits at home depot and just unscrew the 4 screws holding the rectangular plate in around the lock.

Thanks yzfguy I was considering that because I didn't want to drill into her.

#25 8 years ago

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Thanks yzfguy I was considering that because I didn't want to drill into her.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

U guys in the U.S. don't realize how lucky you are. Seems like every second person owns or knows someone who owns a pin. If u bring it into conversation here, the closest u get is "I remember playing the pinnies when I was growing up. Do they still make those?".
Great find!

I agree with this, hard to find people around here who just happen to have a pin laying around.

#28 8 years ago

And when they do know of someone with a pin, is always followed with "Their worth a lot, aren't they?"

#29 8 years ago

Congrats on your new edition, wheel of fortune is an awesome game.
you would have never known if you didn't bring up the conversation.. well done.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Displays
Retrocity
Displays

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/always-fit-pinball-into-the-conversation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.