IMG_5275 (resized).JPG
IMG_5276 (resized).JPG
IMG_5278 (resized).JPG
IMG_E5313 (resized).JPG
IMG_5254 (resized).JPG
IMG_E5032 (resized).JPG
01 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I recently got an AG Soccer a few months ago and knew nothing about the company or history of the game. I like the head to head concept and want to know more about the machine. In troubleshooting some issues I discovered there is little information about this game so I figured I would start this thread. It is really fun to play once everything is running consistently. I hope others can get theirs fixed up through what I have and others have learned. Some NOS parts are available and some are really difficult to find such as the power supply board.

01 (resized).jpg01 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Here is the game I got. I bought it from Illinois and had it crated and shipped out to California. It was sold as "everything is working fine but it needs some bulbs and rubber replacement". The playfield and cabinet looked really good and I got to see it run through a facetime chat. When it showed up it looked even better in person. No fading at all. I have seen pictures of some where the red has turned to yellow orange. Also it has not been modified at all. Everything looked original.

IMG_5254 (resized).JPGIMG_5254 (resized).JPGIMG_E5032 (resized).JPGIMG_E5032 (resized).JPGIMG_E5313 (resized).JPGIMG_E5313 (resized).JPG
#3 2 years ago

The first plays were actually quite lame. The coils did not seem to have power and the system was constantly going through ball search. The flashers did not work. Also sometimes mid game it would stop and reset. I posted on a few troubleshooting sites on FB and here and got some advice to check the power supply. The power supply that came in the one I have is a PCA-019A. It is not what is in the manual listed as a PCA-006. I found the Punchy the Clown schematics on IPDB are correct to what I have. I checked the bridge rectifiers and caps. They all seemed to check out fine. Voltage was low on the 22 line (17VDC). 5V seemed to be fine (later I figured out it was not consistent). After a bunch of troubleshooting I decided to replace the caps (I will update what I replaced them with). I figured out what they were and ordered them from Digikey.

Here is the board front and back. There is definitely some signs of heat on the traces on the back. Anyone know what that that crusty diode value should be on the back?

IMG_5268 (resized).JPGIMG_5268 (resized).JPGIMG_5275 (resized).JPGIMG_5275 (resized).JPGIMG_5276 (resized).JPGIMG_5276 (resized).JPGIMG_5278 (resized).JPGIMG_5278 (resized).JPG
#4 2 years ago

I replaced the caps but kept on having issues with the game resetting. I got a meanwell 5vdc switching power supply so I swapped it in to see if the issue was still the power supply. The game came to life and has been playing consistently and is really fun to play.

I also swapped in a Meanwell 48vdc power supply for the coils. When I replaced the caps the power supply now reads 72vdc on what should be the 48v line. Should the 48V line be reading 72V? seems strange to me. Also I don't know if it was a result of the higher voltages but I started having a start up issue where coils would continue to fire like there was a short. I got an extra PCA-009 main board and have only been running it with the 48v from the Meanwell till I get an answer on the correct voltage for the 48v line. Anyone?

BTW - grounds are all connected together on the power supplies. I know that from doing my custom MPF game.

#5 2 years ago

Matt Elder should be able to chime in. He’s on most of the Alvin G threads and is pinside resident expert on these games. Great guy as well I’m sure he’ll be a big help

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Matt Elder should be able to chime in. He’s on most of the Alvin G threads and is pinside resident expert on these games. Great guy as well I’m sure he’ll be a big help

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. He did actually reach out to me already, and I must admit that I'm a bit behind on things here. Between work and me battling some health issues, I haven't had time or energy to get to the museum in a while to verify readings, or even reply to much as of late. Hopefully things turn around soon.

#7 2 years ago

Ooo that looks fun to play!

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the kind words. He did actually reach out to me already, and I must admit that I'm a bit behind on things here. Between work and me battling some health issues, I haven't had time or energy to get to the museum in a while to verify readings, or even reply to much as of late.
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"1b661fdd04bde8f1b71962f5adc16f8d0a751a68-1627269879-1800"};
//]]>

Hopefully things turn around soon.

Matt sorry to hear that my friend I wasn’t aware. Hoping for speedy recovery and back to your museum and what you love doing most, and of course all your Alvin G help on pinside

#9 2 years ago

MattElder No worries. Livelihood and health are far more important. I hope everything gets better. I appreciate all the posts you have made in the Alvin G history thread. Lots of good information there.

3 weeks later
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from AD72:

I replaced the caps but kept on having issues with the game resetting. I got a meanwell 5vdc switching power supply so I swapped it in to see if the issue was still the power supply. The game came to life and has been playing consistently and is really fun to play.
I also swapped in a Meanwell 48vdc power supply for the coils. When I replaced the caps the power supply now reads 72vdc on what should be the 48v line. Should the 48V line be reading 72V? seems strange to me. Also I don't know if it was a result of the higher voltages but I started having a start up issue where coils would continue to fire like there was a short. I got an extra PCA-009 main board and have only been running it with the 48v from the Meanwell till I get an answer on the correct voltage for the 48v line. Anyone?
BTW - grounds are all connected together on the power supplies. I know that from doing my custom MPF game.

I finally had time to get out to the museum and shuffle stuff around to get the glass off of USA Football and take a reading. (My Soccer-Ball is down right now, but USA Football is the same game in this regard). I'm getting 49 volts on the 48 volt line, so why yours is at 72 is very strange and obviously not good!

#11 2 years ago

Hmm. So I was also told that the 72VDC is what is expected because the input AC is 51v after rectification it is x 1.4. So I hooked it back up and played a few games. It worked well until now I have the right blue flipper always activated. I turn off the game and it goes back. Power back on and it immediately is fully activated and holding. So that means I must have killed a mosfet. I need to figure out what is going on with the 48v line. I replaced the C11 300uF cap. The bridge rectifier measures fine.

I am going to pull out the PCA-009 and measure the mosfet to see if it is toast.

8 months later
#12 1 year ago

Update. I changed the rectifier for the 48v line. It is still reading 72VDC but it is playing well without issues. I replaced the playfield lights with LEDs and it made a huge difference in appearance. I will be bringing it to the Golden State Pinball Festival on May 13-15th.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-2022-golden-state-pinball-festival-thread

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from AD72:

I changed the rectifier for the 48v line. It is still reading 72VDC

Not under load it will be higher.

LTG : )

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not under load it will be higher.

Under load the voltage will decrease you meant - right? I have been meaning to set up a test load at work and measure the voltage drop under a draw of a few amps.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from AD72:

Under load the voltage will decrease you meant - right?

NOT under load it's higher.

Under load it goes lower.

7 months later
#16 1 year ago

It has been a long time since i posted. I figured out that the power board AC input connector on the board was installed wrong, rotated 90 degrees. So the only way it would work was in a 110 configuration. That is why my voltages were high. One of the pins ended up burning out. I rewired it with a new connector and it has been running perfectly. I did still keep the 5v switching power supply because I found that the game runs much more consistently with the game logic board not being affected by voltage drops.

#17 1 year ago

I brought the game to Golden State Pinball Festival in May. It was featured on the Marco Pinball Father's day sale. It was cool seeing all the families enjoy the game. First two pictures were taken before the show opened. It was in constant play through the show.

GSPF_2 (resized).jpegGSPF_2 (resized).jpegGSPP_1 (resized).jpegGSPP_1 (resized).jpegMarco (resized).pngMarco (resized).png
#18 1 year ago

Before I took it to the show I replaced all the playfield LEDs with Comet LEDs. I still have some of the flashers incandescent because they were blinding with the LEDs. Here is a video of a before and after.

#19 1 year ago

Also brought the game to Pin A Go Go in Lodi. Here it is next to a Joust.

Pin a go go (resized).jpegPin a go go (resized).jpeg
#20 1 year ago

The game is currently at The Flipper Room in Concord, CA. It has been getting a lot of plays with the World Cup tournament going on. drypaint

Flipper Room (resized).pngFlipper Room (resized).png
5 months later
#21 9 months ago

Brought the AG Soccer to GSPF along with my custom Joust.

DCD8575A-B43A-4F32-9FDC-F89966776069 (resized).jpegDCD8575A-B43A-4F32-9FDC-F89966776069 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-soccer-2?hl=afinemoose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.