Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mgpasman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a recurring problem with this machine -which usually occurs in the first game or two of turning on the game and playing.
I'll be playing a game and it will just "die" - and when that happens, the ball drains and the other ball gets kicked out and auto-shot into play and
drains. I have to re-start a new game then.
This seems to occur in the first game or two of playing (after being turned on)
I have then played 8-10 games in a row without it recurring. However, if I turn the game off
and come back the next day and turn it on - it will repeat the problem.
Anyone have any ideas?
All I've done is to try and notice what the ball may have hit before dying- but there's no pattern that I can detect.
Also, I've tried to not engage any "tilt" mechanism by excessive machine movement by gently just
flipping the game. doesn't seem to matter.
thanks,
mike

#2 6 years ago

Is there a thermistor or varistor on this game? That'd be my first port of call

#3 6 years ago

hmm... I wouldn't know where to look. I have never left the game on for more than 1/2 hour or 45 min or so.
I'll play 6-10 games usually and that is all. I should post a vid of what it does and try to catch it in action so to speak.
All I can think to do is to re-seat all the connectors. The part that baffles me most is why it would kick out the other
ball (it's only a 2-ball multiball game) immediately after dying.

#4 6 years ago

I did a little searching for thermistor and found this (from Marco), albeit for Williams/Bally WPC system :
THERMISTOR - 8AMP 2.5 R25

The thermistor is installed in the power box of Williams/Bally WPC System pinball machines in series with the black power line wire.

It limits the inrush current when the machine is first turned on. This mitigates stress failures of power handling semi-conductors further downstream in the power supply system. This part will be warm to the touch.

Symptoms of cold machine resets when the flippers are activated may be caused by a bad thermistor.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from fanuminski:

I have a recurring problem with this machine -which usually occurs in the first game or two of turning on the game and playing.
I'll be playing a game and it will just "die" - and when that happens, the ball drains and the other ball gets kicked out and auto-shot into play and
drains. I have to re-start a new game then.

I agree thermistor/varistor is possibility as they can limit power when they get old and are cold. But maybe this isn't a reset. Your description is strange. What do you mean exactly by "die". It's obviously not totally dead if it's auto-plunging next ball. But after that ball is plunged is the machine still unresponsive?

I would go into switch test and run through the drain, trough, plunger lane switches a few times. Bad readings there may give some strange results like you have.

#6 6 years ago

The ball being auto-launched is normal if the machine is reset during a game. I would check the voltages at the test points on the power supply board (lower left in the backbox) to make sure you are getting steady 5v and 12v both when the game is first powered on and also after it warms up. You may have some bad capacitors on the power supply board...

#7 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses. It is getting worse now. Tried to play 1/2 dozen games and it reset 4 times. Even after I left it on an hour. I guess re-set is the correct term. Game just ends ... Non-responsive - automatically kicks out other ball but no active flippers etc.. I have a rebuilt power supply in it. Plus, I have the original power supply. I'm too inexperienced
to know exactly how to check the voltages - but do have a Digital MM. I'm like a newborn baby ... Also ready to wail. Lol
I love this game... But it's very frustrating at this time.
I should add that I went through the switch test and everything checks out normal

#8 6 years ago

I would suspect the ball trough. Something triggers it to register a ball is in the trough, so it ends current ball (and fires a new one if you are still in ball save time). Try to enter switch test, remove all balls from trough and hit the playfield on the bottom, you might see one or more switches in the trough register. In that case, resolder the opto's (Tx/Rx).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-mystery-castle-sudden-game-end-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.